GDT - 12/23 Devils at Blackhawks

Mike Brown

It's amazing how the tone is so different on here and HF.  Here Cory gets all the excuses in the world despite stinking it up all month, while there he's getting ripped to high heavens.  But part of that is this board is a bit anti-Marty anyway while that board will tie itself to crosses for Marty.

This exact mentality is what's going to doom this team, if PDB thinks like this.

Cory needs 4-5 consecutive starts. He needs to get on a roll. Playing one game every week and a half is no way to build confidence.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

He's gotten five starts in the last three weeks and seven starts in twenty-five days, it's not like he's getting a Kinkaid mopup schedule a la last year.  At some point the excuses have to stop, or at least people have to acknowledge they can't keep playing Cory against the toughest teams until he starts getting some wins and confidence back.

Edited by NJDevs4978

It's amazing how the tone is so different on here and HF. Here Cory gets all the excuses in the world despite stinking it up all month, while there he's getting ripped to high heavens. But part of that is this board is a bit anti-Marty anyway.

This is true. Honestly it should be whatever goaltender gives us the best chance of winning. Brodeur might let in more softies but dammit the devils seem to play much better in front of him as a team so might as well use him.

Honestly haven't been impressed with either goalie for the past month or so.

this board is anti logical

so cory got the start tonight because marty won last game

or because marty gave up a point to our division

or because marty had a .810 sv% on 22 sog

or because we could of had nichushkin?

edit:

since when does your backup goalie play the best teams

if marty is the starter why not play him vs hawks

Edited by lazer

It's amazing how the tone is so different on here and HF.  Here Cory gets all the excuses in the world despite stinking it up all month, while there he's getting ripped to high heavens.  But part of that is this board is a bit anti-Marty anyway.

There are some posters who rag on Brodeur regardless but I really think the majority of people that support Schneider here aren't anti-Brodeur. I'll give Brodeur credit for the 3 shutouts and some other strong games, but when he's been bad, he's been "why is he still playing" bad. Fortunately for him the Devils have been able to bail him out a few times.

Brodeur's won 4 games in which he's given up 3 or more goals. On the flip side, Schneider hasn't won a game when giving up 3 or more goals. In Schneider's starts the Devils have scored 3 or more goals just 3 times. For Brodeur they've done that 14 times.

Looking at Schneider's numbers from Vancouver and his age (entering prime years) compared to Brodeur's numbers in recent years and his age (well into decline years), I think it's clear Schenider should get a run a consistent run of games. At some point the Devils offense will play for him the way they do for Brodeur and the wins will pile up.

I love Brodeur but at this point in time, I don't see how anyone can say he's the superior goalie.

I'm not saying I've been impressed with Schneider necessarily, but like it or not he's our best option for the future.. We need him to get going..

I guess I'm personally more willing to believe in Schneider because.. He needs to pan out. If this team traded that pick with some serious talent on the board for a career backup.. Ugh.

I've got nothing against Marty (I'm one of his more loyal supporters on here, I think. Probably to a fault) but he hasn't exactly been lights out. The freakin team just needs to play a good game for Cory. And you guys are kidding yourselves if you think Marty would've given up less than 6 goals tonight, be honest here.

Edited by Devilsfan118

There are some posters who rag on Brodeur regardless but I really think the majority of people that support Schneider here aren't anti-Brodeur. I'll give Brodeur credit for the 3 shutouts and some other strong games, but when he's been bad, he's been "why is he still playing" bad. Fortunately for him the Devils have been able to bail him out a few times.

Brodeur's won 4 games in which he's given up 3 or more goals. On the flip side, Schneider hasn't won a game when giving up 3 or more goals. In Schneider's starts the Devils have scored 3 or more goals just 3 times. For Brodeur they've done that 14 times.

Looking at Schneider's numbers from Vancouver and his age (entering prime years) compared to Brodeur's numbers in recent years and his age (well into decline years), I think it's clear Schenider should get a run a consistent run of games. At some point the Devils offense will play for him the way they do for Brodeur and the wins will pile up.

I love Brodeur but at this point in time, I don't see how anyone can say he's the superior goalie.

Schneider is the superior goalie and I won't argue that but the devils seem to win with Marty in net. I'd go with the goalie that gets us the W and not wait for a goalie to get his confidence back while losing games in the process.

This does kinda feel like a catch 22 scenario but we just need wins.

Right now Cory's playing 'why is he still playing bad' too...his GAA's 3.4 for the month and he's done something bad in just about every game (the hideous first goal at Pittsburgh, the nightmare shootout against the Habs and tonight's trainwreck with two bad goals).  Marty's not been much better this month but at least he's going to have confidence.  Cory has none at the moment, and at SOME point four wins in 17 games ain't gonna cut it.

It doesn't help Cory's playing playoff teams practically every game either, they need to give him a couple of soft landing games and try to get him some W's and get his confidence back.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I'm not saying I've been impressed with Schneider necessarily, but like it or not he's our best option for the future.. We need him to get going.. I guess I'm personally more willing to believe in Schneider because.. He needs to pan out. If this team traded that pick with some serious talent on the board for a career backup.. Ugh. I've got nothing against Marty (I'm one of his more loyal supporters on here, I think. Probably to a fault) but he hasn't exactly been lights out. The freakin team just needs to play a good game for Cory. And you guys are kidding yourselves if you think Marty would've given up less than 6 goals tonight, be honest here. Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I really hope Schneider works out too as if he doesn't then I think this could be the move that might end Lou's career with the devils. To say we passed up some good talent on the board to get Schneider is looking like a big understatement.

I really hope Schneider works out too as if he doesn't then I think this could be the move that might end Lou's career with the devils. To say we passed up some good talent on the board to get Schneider is looking like a big understatement.

That's the other pink elephant in the room...although you know they weren't picking the Russian kid anyway considering the Kovy/KHL mess.  It would have been even more embarassing passing him up for another prospect as opposed to taking a shot at Cory, at least you could rationalize it away then trading off one need for another need that's more of a proven commodity.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Look who Vancouver picked at number 8.  He's being projected as a 2nd line / 3rd line tweener.

Cory is bad, Marty is badd. Big difference is we play better in front of Marty.

There is very little evidence to show that Cory is bad.

Cory was bad tonight, marty in net would have made no difference. We were completely outworked all night, that was the best team in the NHL, with a very real chance they are going to win it all. They have more scoring on their like third line than our 1st.

Cory needs to get a rhythm going.

Look who Vancouver picked at number 8.  He's being projected as a 2nd line / 3rd line tweener.

We didn't have to take the same player Vancouver picked. Keep in mind that we don't have a 1st round pick this year which could very well be a top ten pick.

Cory isn't much better than Marty

Look who Vancouver picked at number 8. He's being projected as a 2nd line / 3rd line tweener.

Corey was sold on being a top goaltender who was only a backup because of the luongo issue in Vancouver. Now that he has a chance to really get the starting job here and each time he has come up considerably short. I really do hope for the best for him but if he becomes a glorified backup who might jump ship after next season then I really would have taken that 2/3 rd line tweener over him.

We didn't have to take the same player Vancouver picked. Keep in mind that we don't have a 1st round pick this year which could very well be a top ten pick.

Cory isn't much better than Marty

You're right, we didn't have to take Horvat.  But regardless, the whole draft pick thing is so overrated, it's not even funny.

Yes Cory is significantly better than Marty when Cory is at his best.

Corey was sold on being a top goaltender who was only a backup because of the luongo issue in Vancouver. Now that he has a chance to really get the starting job here and each time he has come up considerably short. I really do hope for the best for him but if he becomes a glorified backup who might jump ship after next season then I really would have taken that 2/3 rd line tweener over him.

Ok he also has not been given any opportunity to take that starting job.  He needs to be given 4, 5, or 6 games in a row in order to establish himself as the number one.

You're right, we didn't have to take Horvat.  But regardless, the whole draft pick thing is so overrated, it's not even funny.

Yes Cory is significantly better than Marty when Cory is at his best.

Cory could be lights out, but if the guys in front of him don't play as well as they do in front of Marty then forget it.

Ok he also has not been given any opportunity to take that starting job. He needs to be given 4, 5, or 6 games in a row in order to establish himself as the number one.

He also hasn't proven that he deserves 4-6 starts in a row at this point either. This team can't afford to lose a few games just so we can see if Schneider can get into a rhythm or not. The a season is not as young as you keep insisting on it being:

Cory could be lights out, but if the guys in front of him don't play as well as they do in front of Marty then forget it.

That's not a good reason to play Marty over Schneider.  The coach needs to play the better goalie.  The team will start playing better in front of Schneider soon enough.

He also hasn't proven that he deserves 4-6 starts in a row at this point either. This team can't afford to lose a few games just so we can see if Schneider can get into a rhythm or not. The a season is not as young as you keep insisting on it being:

And this is why I don't envy PDB. Very tough decisions need to be made, and soon.

We're not deep enough into the season to worry about the standings and points right now.  Wait until the 50th game for that.  He needs to be given every opportunity to get in his groove.

He does deserve the opportunity to get 5 or 6 consecutive starts.  That's the problem.  Right out of the gate he was being shafted.  Lou didn't give up his 1st round pick for a backup.  He fully intended Schneider to be the number one guy.  He's the more important goalie to this team.

And this is why I don't envy PDB. Very tough decisions need to be made, and soon.

Me neither. He can either start one goalie whose GAA and save % is trash but the team somehow finds ways to win with him in net or start a guy who is stopping pucks much better but the team can't seem to win games with him in there on most nights. It's a no win and now the job is even worse when your better puck stopper this year has been not playing well for the last month too.

We're not deep enough into the season to worry about the standings and points right now.  Wait until the 50th game for that.  He needs to be given every opportunity to get in his groove.

He does deserve the opportunity to get 5 or 6 consecutive starts.  That's the problem.  Right out of the gate he was being shafted.  Lou didn't give up his 1st round pick for a backup.  He fully intended Schneider to be the number one guy.  He's the more important goalie to this team.

If Cory gets 5 or 6 starts and blows them then we have no shot at a playoff spot.