BEER

TrentonDevils

Ugh again more heavy as sh!t beer to make you feel like you ate 10 whoppers when all you did was have a drink.  Does anyone actually think this does or would taste good?

Tis the season :)

I'd give it a try.  Although I think you're right about the heft part.  If I did like it I'd only drink about 8oz of it before moving to something lighter. They even push it as more of a dessert offering:

"The result is a really balanced yet spicy dark beer which will work very well as a dessert beer and still pair nicely with your favorite fall foods."

Tis the season :)

I'd give it a try.  Although I think you're right about the heft part.  If I did like it I'd only drink about 8oz of it before moving to something lighter. They even push it as more of a dessert offering:

"The result is a really balanced yet spicy dark beer which will work very well as a dessert beer and still pair nicely with your favorite fall foods."

lol "winter" food is bad enough and brewers are now (and have) been forcing these super heavy beers upon us more and more.  I do like some of the winter beer offerings but lately it is getting out of hand.  This is not the 1700's where everything we eat and drink must be heavy to help survive the harsh winter.

lol "winter" food is bad enough and brewers are now (and have) been forcing these super heavy beers upon us more and more.  I do like some of the winter beer offerings but lately it is getting out of hand.  This is not the 1700's where everything we eat and drink must be heavy to help survive the harsh winter.

I like winter food, so I like winter beer, but I tend to nurse the heavy ones rather than drinking more than one beer that night.

Has anyone had Ommegang's Take the Black Stout or Dogfish Head's American Beauty IPA?

I just picked up a bottle of each and am wondering what I might expect.

I was just coming on here to post about those two actually so thats funny you asked. I got a case of each in and I tried the american beauty and its awesome, the granola taste goes great with the beer. Love the stuff, but its pricey.

I bought the ommegang but didnt try it yet, I guess its gunna taste like jager or sambuca since its made with anise. It says to serve at 50 degrees though, kinds tough to get a beer to 50 degrees ya know lol

People are going nuts for that ommegang though, I put it on our offerings on ratebeer.com and on the store facebook and people were coming in immediately for it. I marked it up 30% like any other beer and my salesman said I was nuts, he said all of his stores that got it(only 6) are selling it for 19.99. One of the stores isnt even putting it on the shelf and saving it until christmas time, im sure to mark it up to about $25. How much did you buy it for?

I also had troegs mad elf, ehhhhhh I could take it or leave it. I just feel overpowering a beer with cherries isnt a great taste, its better than sam cherry wheat, but its nothing I would have to have if I saw it on the shelf or on tap. I had it in a 22 oz bottle, but troegs is retarded for putting it in 6pks instead of 4pks. No six pack should retail at 14.99 - _ -

Oh and I got sixpoint autumnation in too, havent tried it yet though, has anyone had it?

Edited by Bartholomew Hunt

I also had troegs mad elf, ehhhhhh I could take it or leave it. I just feel overpowering a beer with cherries isnt a great taste, its better than sam cherry wheat, but its nothing I would have to have if I saw it on the shelf or on tap. I had it in a 22 oz bottle, but troegs is retarded for putting it in 6pks instead of 4pks. No six pack should retail at 14.99 - _ -

It doesn't matter, it's been that way for years and it always sells out well before the season is over.  People go nuts over this beer, but I agree with you on the taste, it's alright but nothing to splurge on.

I was just coming on here to post about those two actually so thats funny you asked. I got a case of each in and I tried the american beauty and its awesome, the granola taste goes great with the beer. Love the stuff, but its pricey.

I bought the ommegang but didnt try it yet, I guess its gunna taste like jager or sambuca since its made with anise. It says to serve at 50 degrees though, kinds tough to get a beer to 50 degrees ya know lol

People are going nuts for that ommegang though, I put it on our offerings on ratebeer.com and on the store facebook and people were coming in immediately for it. I marked it up 30% like any other beer and my salesman said I was nuts, he said all of his stores that got it(only 6) are selling it for 19.99. One of the stores isnt even putting it on the shelf and saving it until christmas time, im sure to mark it up to about $25. How much did you buy it for?

Oh and I got sixpoint autumnation in too, havent tried it yet though, has anyone had it?

You're not going to believe this, but I paid $9.99 for the Game of Thrones Take the Black Stout. The place where I got it normally never carries special releases -- where you have to go to the desk and ask for a bottle. So maybe they didn't have any idea what to charge for it?

They charged me $12.99 for the American Beauty IPA.

You're not going to believe this, but I paid $9.99 for the Game of Thrones Take the Black Stout. The place where I got it normally never carries special releases -- where you have to go to the desk and ask for a bottle. So maybe they didn't have any idea what to charge for it?

They charged me $12.99 for the American Beauty IPA.

Yeah where you got it from didnt have an idea how popular it is. Neither did I to be honest but my salesman told me what everyone else was charging. And yeah we sell the american beauty for 12.99 as well.

Im drinking sixpoint autumnation now, garbage. 74 IBUs for a supposed fall beer would be okay if they balanced it right. Way too hoppy and no fall flavors that are noticeable. Just tastes like a run of the mill pale ale. 9.99 for this is robbery.

Awesome growler lineup alert!

Joe Canals Lawrenceville has some pretty tasty/rare stuff at the growler station right now:

Dogfish Head 120 (girlfriend bought the last growlers worth - apparently a 2 year old keg)

Dogfish Head World Wide Stout

Oskar Blues Ten Fiddy

Riverhorse Firkin Pumpkin Vanilla Bourbon

Stone R&R Coconut IPA

Had the Stone Coconut in a bottle I found by chance at a Bourbon Street in Lebanon, Hunterdon County off rt 22. It was great as an IPA but I couldn't pick up any coconut flavor

Lol sorry. At this point I'm saying that as more of a joke than anything else.

Different people have different tastes.

I would have been disappointed if you hadn't said it.

Troeg's finally bottled a pumpkin beer this year, after just doing pumpkin scratch batches for the past few (???) years.  Just went on sale this past weekend, only available at the brewery.  I snagged a bottle on Saturday before I went to the Hershey Bears game.

It's called "Master Of Pumpkins." 

In a nutshell, it reminds me a lot of Weyerbacher's Imperial Pumpkin Ale...definitely a hearty ale.  I liked it, but I was kinda hoping for something a little more daring.

Curious to see if they make this a seasonal going forward, with a wider distribution.

Edited by NJCroMag

Firkins in Ewing has Take the Black on tap.

Have you tried it? I had my bottle the other day it was awesome, one of the better beers ive had.

Also has anyone had any of the following, im getting them in today; Abita Andygator, dogfish olde school, dogfish bitches brew, dogfish kvasir, avery old jubilation, boulder never summer, or boulder shake?

Anyone going to the trade show today at Raritan center too?

Have you tried it? I had my bottle the other day it was awesome, one of the better beers ive had.

Also has anyone had any of the following, im getting them in today; Abita Andygator, dogfish olde school, dogfish bitches brew, dogfish kvasir, avery old jubilation, boulder never summer, or boulder shake?

Anyone going to the trade show today at Raritan center too?

I find Dogfish Head overrated, but I really like Olde School, although barleywines are probably my favorite style so that could be why.  Bitches Brew is pretty good too, but like all of their 750s it's expensive.  Kvasir has a cool story behind it but I didn't find the beer that interesting, it was kinda sweet and a little fruity like a lot of their more experimental beers seem to be.

I find Dogfish Head overrated, but I really like Olde School, although barleywines are probably my favorite style so that could be why. Bitches Brew is pretty good too, but like all of their 750s it's expensive. Kvasir has a cool story behind it but I didn't find the beer that interesting, it was kinda sweet and a little fruity like a lot of their more experimental beers seem to be.

Dogfish had two of the better beers ive ever had, faithful ale and american beauty, but they are pricey. 12.99 for the 750s and 14.99 for the olde school.

I know everyone hates them but just a nugget of information, miller is coming out with miller lite fortune, trying to be the same as bud light platinum. Also Redds is coming out with an apple based iced tea. Sounds god awful but we'll see. I hear the packaging is awesome though. Its a picture of a horse lying on the ground with a man beating it with a bat.

Sam adams merry mischief is also going to be called merry maker this year. I loved that beer when it was out last year.

Took a trip out to rural PA this past weekend and stopped at Victory on the way home.  Tried a DirtWolf IIPA for the first time and have to say it was very good. Also had a Hop Wallop and liked the DirtWolf much better. Will add to my permanent rotation.

I bought a four-pack of DirtWolf the other day as well as a few bottles of Stone's Enjoy By 11-12-13. I am looking forward to trying both.

I find Dogfish Head overrated, but I really like Olde School, although barleywines are probably my favorite style so that could be why.  Bitches Brew is pretty good too, but like all of their 750s it's expensive.  Kvasir has a cool story behind it but I didn't find the beer that interesting, it was kinda sweet and a little fruity like a lot of their more experimental beers seem to be.

I've loved some Dogfish. I also love them for having the balls to try some really crazy stuff. I do think they flop sometimes, and I don't think their staples are as good as some other places, but when they nail something, it's really good, and really interesting.

After re-reading my previous post, it probably came off as bashing Dogfish Head more than I meant to.  I too like that they are constantly trying to innovate and make beers that have interesting stories behind them.  I think they're overrated because a lot of their beers are sweeter than I would prefer, and their famous IPAs aren't all that great with the exception of 120 Minute on tap.  The couple times I've had it from a bottle, it was a struggle to get through, but both times I was lucky enough to have it on tap, it was incredible.  I do appreciate what they're doing though and they are definitely one of the craft brewing industry's pioneers.