‏Zach Parise has agreed to terms with the Minnesota Wild

Daniel

He's going to make money no matter what. Take away the money, and look at the decision at hand. You're talking about a decision that decides where you're going to spend your life for the next 6-10 years. Let's go with 10. That's is a huge chunk of someone's life! An entire decade. I struggle when I'm forced to decide every couple years where I'm going to spend the next couple years of my life. It's easy to see why this is taking him a little while. And I am sorry but Zach Parise owes us nothing. He deserves to take his time on this huge career & personal decision.

I'd like him to stay... but if not, best wishes. It's about the front of the sweater not the back. The Devils will perservere as they always have. I still think he may sign here though.

I think people are being a little bit harsh on Zach and his decision making here.

If it was really just about the money he would have made his decision by now, because you take the biggest offer on the table, and its done. That doesn’t take that long.

The way i see it is that this is the defining point in his career, and will shape what he does with his career , but also his personal life. These teams are asking you to commit 8-10 years of your life. That shouldn’t be a throw away decision, it should take time.

Guy is getting married, i would imagine he would want to have children. So he has to sit down with people and decided if these places are where he would want to start a family, what’s in each area.

Personally if someone sat me down and offered me a contract of 10 years to do my job, i would have to think long and hard about the decision before committing. Just because he is a professional athlete doesn’t mean the decision process should be any easier no matter what figures are being offered.

I think people are being a little bit harsh on Zach and his decision making here.

If it was really just about the money he would have made his decision by now, because you take the biggest offer on the table, and its done. That doesn’t take that long.

The way i see it is that this is the defining point in his career, and will shape what he does with his career , but also his personal life. These teams are asking you to commit 8-10 years of your life. That shouldn’t be a throw away decision, it should take time.

Guy is getting married, i would imagine he would want to have children. So he has to sit down with people and decided if these places are where he would want to start a family, what’s in each area.

Personally if someone sat me down and offered me a contract of 10 years to do my job, i would have to think long and hard about the decision before committing. Just because he is a professional athlete doesn’t mean the decision process should be any easier no matter what figures are being offered.

Precisely.

And that's why folks are getting frustrated because he KNOWS NJ...he knows what is offered here...he is now looking at ALL THESE OTHER PLACES.

The guy is out the door...blows.

Precisely.

And that's why folks are getting frustrated because he KNOWS NJ...he knows what is offered here...he is now looking at ALL THESE OTHER PLACES.

Yeah at this point if he REALLY wanted to stay a devils like he said all along he could have signed... You just never know whats coming and hes never gonna have monetary problems anymore with any of the offers... I know it must be hard to turn down a few millions but if hes taking that mmuch time its to look at other places, scary

Precisely.

Or, after looking at all these other places, maybe he decides that he prefers what NJ has to offer, but he's being thorough in the biggest decision of his life regardless... (not saying he stays, but I don't think the amount of time is any indication for or against whatsoever).

Edited by pleasepassthesoup

I wake up this morning thinking the Devils offer is "competitive" but not competitive enough. I think the Devils are asking him to give up a lot of money to come back here, more than he's comfortable with and he's having second thoughts, feeling guilty about leaving.

If the Devils offer was competitive he would've signed here by now.

We aren't making it easy on him.

If what you're saying turns out to be true, then I'm glad we're making it hard on him. He's not wrth the 12-13 year $100 million contracts that multiple "sources" have reported other teams have thrown at him. He may be the best FA in a weak class, but it doesn't make him worth that kind of money. I love his motor and heart, but he has no shot and scores all of his goals from right out in front of the net. As he ages, the probability is that he won't hold up that well physically.

Precisely.

:offtopic:

What is it with the giant bolded text with you? Bold would be fine!

Anyway.

Who's to say his missus wants to live in NJ?? Maybe she wants to live in Minnesota, close to family. He knows Minnesota as a place, he grew up there, his family is there, he spends his summers there.

If I had to hazard a guess, I would say he was deliberating between staying here and going to Minnesota. Go back home or stay with the Devils.

Making a decision like this is always going to be absurdly hard, whether or not you're even considering the money, and a lot of people here are oversimplifying it to a huge degree. It's not easy to assign priority to a bunch of factors that can't actually be compared directly - where do you want to live? How tied do you feel to your original franchise, its fans, and your friends there? Where does your family want you to be? Hell, Zach's a dude who's spent pretty much his entire young adult life here, maybe he just feels like it's time for a change? All of these are important factors, and my guess is that he has no friggin idea how to actually assess their importance in a clear way, mainly because there is no way to do it. As someone who recently made a decision about where to spend 8 years of my life, I can say personally that no matter how clear a decision like this may seem, it's impossible to make a choice without having a lot of serious self-doubt about it.

In my mind, the fact that we remain in the running is a strong indication that loyalty to the team and fans is definitely factoring into Zach's choice. But to insinuate that this sort of loyalty should somehow outweigh actual important real-life factors is pretty ridiculous in my opinion.

People who call themselves "realistic fans" are the duimbasses that have an asanine sense of entitlement. If it's "in your blood" to be a, quote, "pessimistic, down in the dumps, nothing good will happen" type fan, you've got a lot bigger problems than where Parise is gonna sign.

Really?

I'm not going to entertain that one. Do you know me?

It's a message board. I am hard on my teams.

Take a walk...

I don't think it's that - I bet the Devils offer is 'competitive', meaning that while it has some up front bonus, it's not massively front-loaded. So time-value-of-money wise it's well behind the other deals, but I don't think that's an enormous sticking point. And then Zach has to consider if the Devils can afford to put other guys around him. I bet if Vanderbeek weren't wearing a barrel as clothes it'd be done already.

I don't think he's looking to see if the Devils can put guys around him, because in that case, could pittsburgh given Malkin and Crosby would get 8.7M, Letang will get more money soon etc - and they need to have a defense.THe Devils have Kovy long term and that's it. Also, the Devils have a deep team now, so I don't think he's looking into the future. Also, the Devils' ownership situation will be settled more likely starting at year 2 of the deal.

I just think the Devils offer isn't as much and isn't front loaded (maybe at all) for Zach to stay. This is the problem. He really wants to stay, and I just don't think the contract is there enough for him to do it.

Zach isn't worth more than $7 million a season. He isnt' Crosby, or Malkin or even Claude Giroux for that matter. I know Zach just recently purchased a house in Minnesota, but I think he wants to stay here, but I think his agent is using the bigger $ offers and I think Zach is waiting/hoping Lou will up his ante.

People are taking this way too personally. Parise was not put on this earth just to entertain us and so shame on him for making the FANS wait. He's a human being first, and this is a decision that any person in any other profession would take a long time in making a decision. The guy has to think about himself and where he and his family will be happy, not where the fans want him to be.

People are taking this way too personally. Parise was not put on this earth just to entertain us and so shame on him for making the FANS wait. He's a human being first, and this is a decision that any person in any other profession would take a long time in making a decision. The guy has to think about himself and where he and his family will be happy, not where the fans want him to be.

I respect this and agree. This is huge decision for him and his new wife and a once in a lifetime opportunity to get it right.

Zach isn't worth more than $7 million a season. He isnt' Crosby, or Malkin or even Claude Giroux for that matter. I know Zach just recently purchased a house in Minnesota, but I think he wants to stay here, but I think his agent is using the bigger $ offers and I think Zach is waiting/hoping Lou will up his ante.

THIS.

This, absolutely.

Honestly, if my company wanted to put me under contract for 10 years to do exactly what I'm already doing (and likely will continue to do for at least the next 10 years anyway), I would still have to take a long hard look at it. Just the fact that you know you're locking yourself in for a specified length of time is a huge consideration, regardless of how good the terms might be.

Zach also said twice now that his agents had brought up several issues that he (Zach) would have never thought of on his own. If that's true, then it is highly likely that they are issue that we haven't thought of, either. I take this as yet another indication that we have no idea what Zach's priorities are, or what he thinks of as the deciding factors.

I agree with those who are saying money is clearly not his biggest concern. If that were the case, the decision is an easy one. Obviously he's taking a long hard look at other things, and we have zero idea which of those other things are most important to him and which are less so.

Of course the whole point of this thread, in my mind at least, is to discuss all our speculations, thoughts, gut instincts, anxieties, etc. while we wait to see what he decides. But we shouldn't get too terribly depressed, or elated, or otherwise bent out of shape about any of it, because in reality we don't have anything to go by other than our own collective guesswork.

I think a lot of the dollar amount business is his agent looking for a big fat commission and really urging him to take the most money. I never really bought into the claim that agents are fully committed to the welfare of the player first. I'm sure Wade is looking for a big payday himself. If that's the case, it reminds me of the agent on Entourage - the greedy bastard who only cares about himself and how much money he gets from a deal, not his client.

I think a lot of the dollar amount business is his agent looking for a big fat commission and really urging him to take the most money. I never really bought into the claim that agents are fully committed to the welfare of the player first. I'm sure Wade is looking for a big payday himself. If that's the case, it reminds me of the agent on Entourage - the greedy bastard who only cares about himself and how much money he gets from a deal, not his client.

Sadly, I do think this is what happened to Scott Gomez. I think he's a guy who's not all that smart, and got pushed into his Ranger contract by a variety of parties, and wound up believing a lot of nonsense that even fans knew wasn't true. If he had it to do over again, I think he finds a way to make it work in NJ.

Sadly, I do think this is what happened to Scott Gomez. I think he's a guy who's not all that smart, and got pushed into his Ranger contract by a variety of parties, and wound up believing a lot of nonsense that even fans knew wasn't true. If he had it to do over again, I think he finds a way to make it work in NJ.

Supposedly he was never offered a contract. Other teams would have blown money on him too, Philly, or the team he currently is "playing for".

I do think it's funny that these big FA types hire the agents to herd all the BS involved with this process, and they STILL look like sh!t anyway, if the process drags on for more than 5 minutes. Why even bother at that point, take the phone calls, get a notepad, write down their offers and say "I'll call you back later."

I'd rather Semin, at this point. If it's going to take 8m+/y for Parise, I don't think he's worth it. I love him to death, and he is a typical *Devils* player, but I don't see him being worth Kovalchuk money (or more, cap wise)

Semin could definitely wind up being more cost-effective in the long run. I don't know if I'd rather have him, but if Parise leaves for mega-bucks, and Semin comes here for a reasonable deal, I don't think the Devils make out too badly there.

I'm wondering if Feeding Frenzy II begins after Zach has signed, and if Semin winds up getting massively overpaid...he won't get Parise money obviously, but it will be interesting to see if GMs can't control themselves yet again.

I'd rather Semin, at this point. If it's going to take 8m+/y for Parise, I don't think he's worth it. I love him to death, and he is a typical *Devils* player, but I don't see him being worth Kovalchuk money (or more, cap wise)

How much would you think Semin would want compared to Zach? I don't think Semin would be exactly a cheap pick up

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.