Trade: Hartnell to CBJ for Umberger and a 4th

Derlique

Philadelphia Flyers @NHLFlyers 29m

BREAKING: The #Flyers have acquired R.J. Umberger in exchange for Scott Hartnell. Details → http://nhlflye.rs/1l3PVsY  pic.twitter.com/E1setFk2yr

The **** is Hextall doing? I understand Hartnell is signed for a long time, but he is a decent player.  I have no idea how Kekalainen gets this sort of return when he said he would buy-out Umberger if he couldn't find a trade.  Very baffling for the Flyers

Hextall pulls a Holmgren move. Only saves two years off the back end of the deals. Kind of a lateral move, might be to shake up the forwards a bit as Hartnell has been there for a while. I think Umberger could play center a bit if he had too.

Good move by CBJ. I wonder if this means they won't bid on a guy like Callahan anymore.

Gotta give Columbus credit for turning a likely compliance buyout into a servicable (yet overpaid) player like Hartnell.  They must see how weak the East was this year with the run the Rags made so they went out and made a deal for the near term figuring that they aren't that far away from competing with the rest of the teams in the East with the young talent and goaltending in their lineup. 

It turns out that Hartnell requested a trade, so that may have changed things - still, Umberger's deal is easier to buy out than Hartnell's, but that and Umberger's supposed versatility is about the only thing that makes him close to the value of Hartnell.  Umberger is really not good at this point.

It turns out that Hartnell requested a trade, so that may have changed things - still, Umberger's deal is easier to buy out than Hartnell's, but that and Umberger's supposed versatility is about the only thing that makes him close to the value of Hartnell.  Umberger is really not good at this point.

o wow, he requested a trade? i haven't read much but thats interesting

makes a little more sense now

Was it Carter who was banging Hartnell's wife or Richards? Who dun it this time?

It was Carter I think. There was one of those NHL episode profiles on NHL Network on Hartnell. Hartnell's wife was in it. I think she was working at the Gap or some sh!t when he met her.