2012-13 AHL/ECHL Thread

RowdyFan42

Wedgewood went down for a few minutes with an injury tonight. He hit the back of his head on the crossbar after colliding with Titans defensmen Mitch Versteeg. He hung in the game but just minutes after he let in a soft goal. To start the third period, the Titans put in Flyers prospect Niko Hoivenen (he is 6 foot 7) and Wedge was nowhere to be found on the bench.

Wedgewood went down for a few minutes with an injury tonight. He hit the back of his head on the crossbar after colliding with Titans defensmen Mitch Versteeg. He hung in the game but just minutes after he let in a soft goal. To start the third period, the Titans put in Flyers prospect Niko Hoivenen (he is 6 foot 7) and Wedge was nowhere to be found on the bench.

Mike Ashmore has some quotes from Wedgewood on his Titans blog. Hopefully he feels fine after a day or two.

I haven't followed Albany much, but who has Larsson been paired with mostly? I hope he and Urbom can gel, that would be a sick pairing for the future. I'd rather see Larsson paired with Urbom than anyone else in our system, not only because of the Swedish factor but also the size and potential to be a shutdown pairing when needed. Obviously Urbom is a bit further away from being a full-time NHLer than Larsson who basically has a full season under his belt, but still.

I really haven't seen much of Urbom either, has his physical game picked up any? I heard he doesn't use his size at times.

Larsson= Lidstrom lite with a bigger frame but slower stride

Urbom= Kronwall lite with a bigger frame

Edited by Jerseydevils0324

Hope Wedge is ok

Just got back from the Albany game tonight in Providence. As most of you know, they lost 2-1 in a SO. Here are my thoughts on the game:

Positives-

Keith Kinkaid was sensational finishing up with 37 saves on 38 shots. He really knows how to use his large frame to his advantage and made a few highlight real saves where he stretched for every inch. If he plays with any consistency, he has a shot

Adam Henrique was buzzing around and was even rewarded with a goal. He and Whitney had a nice give and go which Henrique finished off. I know his stats dont look great, but he still looks fine

Larsson was solid. He is clearly too good for the AHL, but he didnt take too many risks offensively. He did have a few nice stretch passes and did have a notable rush where he beat two forecheckers and set up Zajac in the zone, who bobbled the puck. It also appears that he is working on his explosiveness. During warmups, he would be gliding, then suddenly accelerate to top speed (this happened several times and I didnt notice anyone else doing this)

Alex Urbom was very steady for his first game back. Good size and knows how to use it. He even won a fight.

Negatives:

Powerplay- This looked like an Adam Oates run pp, pre Zidlicky and Foster. Yes folks, it was THAT bad. They couldn't gain the zone and when they did, guys would just fumble the puck. I thought it was interesting that they used Butler on the point. I wish they'd use him as a rover a la Malkin, but of course, he isnt Malkin and Albany just doesnt have the passers

Offense- Even though they officially had 27 shots, I think about three of them were memorable. Kowalsky shuffled up the lines with a top 6 of Whitney-Henrique-Anderson and Pesonen-Josefson-Butler. Unfortunately, it didnt help. Their use of the cycle was especially poor and the Dmen didnt exactly help when given the chance

Jesus, Jay Leach is downright awful. This guy makes Adam Larsson look like Mike Gartner speedwise. He's also always out of position, and cant keep a puck in the zone to save his life.

All in all it was a good time and I was apparently sitting in the same row of Bobby Butler's dad.

I haven't followed Albany much, but who has Larsson been paired with mostly? I hope he and Urbom can gel, that would be a sick pairing for the future. I'd rather see Larsson paired with Urbom than anyone else in our system, not only because of the Swedish factor but also the size and potential to be a shutdown pairing when needed. Obviously Urbom is a bit further away from being a full-time NHLer than Larsson who basically has a full season under his belt, but still.

I really haven't seen much of Urbom either, has his physical game picked up any? I heard he doesn't use his size at times.

Larsson= Lidstrom lite with a bigger frame

Urbom= Kronwall lite with a bigger frame

Larsson has been paired with Jay Leach mostly, but tonight, he was with Dan Kelly

1-1 after 2, Eric Wellwood with the goal for Adirondack.

Damn you Nashville!

Devils had to kill off a 5 on 3 for 1:30 to end the second

Only Whitney's 4th game..congrats Albany coaching staff.

Kowalsky is a mess. They had a stupid too many men penalty and his choice of personnel is perplexing to say the least. Tedenby should be in there.

Anyone see that Tim Sestito play? What an idiot

Why isn't Kowalsky playing Hrabarenka, Tedenby, or Pesonen? And he should really throw Clermont a game sometime, I don't like that one of our goalie prospects is just collecting dust in the press box

Clermont in playing with Elmira in the ECHL. Hes starting tonight against Orlando. No dust on him.

I was at the game tonight. Pretty good crowd for once. There were some notable player omissions with no teddy, pesonen, disemone, and hrabaranka. I thought henrique had an awesome game defensively. Josefson had another strong game i thought. I really like the way whitney played. Ive been pretty high on him since last season. I hope down the road he gets a chance at the NJ DEVILS roster. I thought larsson had an off nights. He uncharacteristically coughed the puck up a bunch in key moments. But hes had so many great games so far that he was bound to have a rougn one. Finally i thought frazee played awesome. He made so many big stops tonight. He really kept them in the game

Todays feed for the Devils, Admirals game. Quality kinda sucks unfortunately.

http://www.thefirstrow.eu/watch/152810/1/watch-ahl:-norfolk-admirals-vs-albany-devils.html

Devils killed off a 5 on 3 penalty kill in the early part of the game. Whitney and Sestito took penalties. JJ and henrique were the forwards killing. Loving the way they have been playing on the kill. Especially Henrique

What arena -- home or away -- on the Albany Devils schedule is closest in miles to the Rock? Thinking of checking out a game.

Judging from this map, Bridgeport or Wilkes-Barre are probably closest to Newark, depending where in NJ you are.

http://www.sportmapw...th-america/ahl/

Edit: According the the ole google maps, Prudential to Wilkes-Barre is 2 hrs 15 mins, and to Bridgeport its 1 hr 40 mins.

Edited by Devil Dan 56

Judging from this map, Bridgeport or Wilkes-Barre are probably closest to Newark, depending where in NJ you are.

http://www.sportmapw...th-america/ahl/

Edit: According the the ole google maps, Prudential to Wilkes-Barre is 2 hrs 15 mins, and to Bridgeport its 1 hr 40 mins.

That's a cool map -- never saw it before.

Yes, I after going team by team on Google Maps earlier, I too figured that Bridgeport is closest.

I might even try for a weekend home game in Albany. Supposedly, it's about 2 1/2 hours from me.

Depending on where in NJ you are, Hershey is a little more than a two-hour drive. And there are four "home" games scheduled to be played in Atlantic City, including the Sunday after Thanksgiving.

Yeah, Hershey is exactly two hours from me in South Jersey, making it the closest AHL arena for me. I went to the Albany/Hershey game at the end of October and I plan to go again in December if the lockout is still on.

I'll also be at the Albany game in AC later this month...it's nice to still be able to see some hockey during the lockout.

Yeah, Hershey is exactly two hours from me in South Jersey, making it the closest AHL arena for me. I went to the Albany/Hershey game at the end of October and I plan to go again in December if the lockout is still on.

I'll also be at the Albany game in AC later this month...it's nice to still be able to see some hockey during the lockout.

That Hershey arena is fun. They have quite a following. I got to catch the All Star game in AC last season. The arena set up is interesting. There's just an open space on one end of the arena.

Atlantic City is almost as far as Albany for me -- albeit in the other direction. And Hershey is slightly farther.

Dec 19th at 7:00 albany at bridgeport (its a weds. night) then a sunday @ 3:00 on march 17th (hopefully its moot by then)

I'm considering that one.

I wonder if any of the fan clubs are considering a bus trip up to Albany. I'd definitely be on board for that.

On Monday, after having dinner at Dinosaur BBQ, I happened to walk into the AmeriHealth Pavilion and caught a few minutes of a New Jersey Rockets game. It made me realize how much I miss watching hockey live.

Visiting a friend here in Illinois and made it to the Peoria Rivermen @ Chicago Wolves game last night. Peoria won, 3-2. Zach Kassian, the only player I recognized played awful. Including a 10 min unsportsmanlike conduct and a penalty to end Chicago's comeback hopes with a penalty at 19:51 of the 3rd. They sure love their Wolves in Chicago. Many Blackhawks fans which is quite the conflict of interest considering the Wolves are Vancouver's affiliate. First ever AHL game was a success, too bad there are no teams down by me in Florida cause I had fun.

Edited by Steven M.

Albany lost to Syracuse 4-1, their second loss in a row. Scoring his first goal of the year was Whitney, assisted by Henrique, earning him 3rd star. Kinkaid made 21 saves on 25 shots and earned a roughing penalty. Taormina had an assist for Syracuse. Here is the gamesheet.

Albany takes on Wilkes-Barre/Scranton in AC tomorrow at 4. They are still last in their conference and second to last in the league with 12 points.

Trenton lost to Greenville 3-0. Wedgewood had 35 saves on 37 shots earning 3rd star and Haczyk was a -1, with 2 shots and 2 PIM's. Clermont didn't play for Elmira tonight against South Carolina.