How In The World Did We Get Zach Parise?

Blackjack

The NHL mandates that whoever wins the cup gets the last pick of every round of the draft, and with 30 teams in the league, whoever wins the cup can generally look forward to picking up a player like Chris O'Sullivan Deron Quint, Mike McBain, Josh Green, Jean-Marc Pelletier, Artem Chubarov, Luke Sellars, Jeff Taffe, Dave Steckel, Jim Slater (The #30 picks for the last 10 years) in the first round.

As I'm sure most you remember, we won the Stanley Cup on June 9, but we didn't end up with any Mike McBain or Deron Quint; no, we got one of the best NCAA forwards out there - a freshman Hobey Baker finalist, a guy whose only knock is his size (but if you look at his size - 5'11, you're left scratching your head) here's what was being said before the draft:

9. Zach Parise --C--North Dakota

All he seems to lack is size, but with his heart, it might not matter. Extremely gifted offensive player who can create and finish. Thrives in the open ice but will also get involved along the boards. Very strong on special teams and has very good hockey sense. - Prospect Advisor

Parise was ranked 9th because this is an unusally deep draft year, if he had been a year older, he likely would have been the 4th best prospect, behind only Rick Nash, Jay Bouwmeester, and Kari Lehtonnen. Make no mistake, Parise is a "can't miss" prospect, of course, can't miss prospects miss all the time, Alexandre Daigle for example, but Parise is in the class of prospects that's about as sure a thing as you can get. So how did the Devils get him?

1. We had the right to switch picks with The Saint Louis Blues because of the Scott Stevens tampering case, So instead of having the #30 pick, we actually switched and got the #22 pick. Still, that was not even close to Parise. Lou and Conte went to the draft with their eyes on guys like Anthony Stuart, in fact he didn't even have a tag for Parise.

2. This draft, as I already mentioned was deep, but it was weighted in forwards. If you wanted a quality defenseman, you had to get him early. That led to several defensemen getting picked earlier than they should have, and bumped the quality forwards down. (Also, Marc Andre Fleury was the only star quality goalie in the draft, so he went rigtht away too

3. In a draft class with so many forwards, there are lots of big forwards with skill available. The only forward under 6'2 drafted in the top 9 was explosive forward Nikolai Zherdev.

In a draft class with a lot of big forwards, Zach Parise fell way too far. Remember, he's 5'11, not exactly Brian Gionta here. And he's still growing.

4. There were 4 big name forwards that fell: Steve Bernier, Zach Parise, Danny Fritsche, and Patrik O'Sullivan. San Jose struck first, trading 3 of their picks (#25, a 2nd rounder, and a 4th rounder) to move up 9 slots to #16 and nab Steve Bernier, a forward with excellent size and potential who like Parise, should've been taken much earlier. The jig was up, and Lou moved decisively. Since he only had to move up 5 slots as opposed to 9, Edmunton stood a good chance of getting the player that they wanted anyway, so the move only cost Lou the 68th pick in the draft.

The mind boggling conspiricy of events was complete, and New Jersey had one its most signifigant 1st round draft picks since Petr Sykora fell to #18 was picked up way back in 1995; another highly skilled forward picked up after winning the Stanley Cup.

Here Mr. Q. I asked the same question and Sarge18 replied:

QUOTE (Sarge18 @ Jun 21 2003, 02:11 PM)

The blues had signed Stevens to a contract before July first of the year. Which means that his contract with the Devils had not expired and he was not allowed to talk to anyone other then the Devils without permission. This contract was not valid because it was early, and the Devils matched keeping Steven's services. The league found out this and the swap of picks, taking a first round pick (2001), and 1.5 million dollars was the penalty.

Here's the long story, and it involves how Scott Stevens became a Devil in the first place.

So that makes it fun to tell! B)

Back in the early '90s The St. Louis Blues were like the New York Rangers, offering huge contracts to whoever would sign. RFA, or UFA, it didn't matter. Their biggest prize was hard hitting Washington defenseman Scott Stevens. The Blues signed him to a big offer sheet, which Washington couldn't match, and St. Louis sacrificed 5 first round draft picks. (The only real star that came out of those picks was Sergei Gonchar btw)

Then the Blues set their sights on New Jerey powerforward Brenden Shanahan. New Jersey was a small market franchise at the time, and could not match the offer that St. Louis put on the table for Shanahan. Since St. Louis had already sacrificed it's picks to Washington, an arbitor decided on the compensation to the Devils. The Blues offered up and coming goalie Curtis Joseph, and Rod Brind'amour. But the Devils pointed out that Stevens was worth 5 first round draft picks, and that the compensation was to take the place of the picks, so logically they should get Stevens. The Blues were devastated when the arbitor agreed, and gave Scott Stevens to the Devils. They patiently waited the years for Stevens' contract to expire, and when it did, they signed him almost literally at midnight. This time, The Devils were able to match, and Stevens stayed a Devil, but Lou Lamorello smelled a rat, and asked the league to look into it. The subsequent investigation revealed that The Blues had talked to Stevens before his contract with The Devils had expired (contract tampering) and in 1999 the league awarded The Devils $1.5 million, 1 first round draft pick, and 1 right to swap draft picks. Both the pick and the right to swap had to be used within 5 years (1999-2003) so this was the last year for the swap. I think we traded the pick a year or two ago.

It is amazing. And the Devils after waiting five years as it turned out picked the exact right time to trade with the Blues, when they won the Cup AND the Blues lost in the first round :lol:

We also took a first-round pick from the Blues, what year was it and who did we get? My memory is hazy on this one.

Couldn't find the link, this is the best I could do:

When the Blues signed Stevens as a restricted free agent to an offer sheet in July 1994, Devils president Lou Lamoriello claimed then Blues-president Jack Quinn tampered with his player before the start of the free agency period. Before the NHL started its investigation into the allegation, the Devils matched the offer sheet worth $17 million over four years.

http://www.hockeynut.com/9899/league0199.html

Okay Blackjack, good job.

I still need to do some searching of my own......I could have sworn (though you seem to have proven me wrong) that it went the way I posted.

It's okay, I'm usually wrong, or so my wife keeps telling me!!! :D

I still need to do some searching of my own......I could have sworn (though you seem to have proven me wrong) that it went the way I posted.

It's okay, I'm usually wrong, or so my wife keeps telling me!!! :D

Yeah, I wouldn't trust that link, that was just the only one I could find. I'd be happier if I could find an actual quote from Lou or something. <_<

It's okay, I'm usually wrong, or so my wife keeps telling me!!!     :D

Yeah, I wouldn't trust that link, that was just the only one I could find. I'd be happier if I could find an actual quote from Lou or something. <_<

I think Lou did ask them to look into it but it could not be proven until the ownership change happened in St. Louis and the unshredded documents came to light.