RUMOR: Callahan to be traded as per Boomer Esiason

Mike Brown

Could very well be that negociations (as reported) were not going anywhere so rangers are looking at a swap that could get them a guy right away for the playoff and avoid losing callahan for nothing in the summer since they couldnt agree on a contract.

Also it doesnt mean that if nothing happen that the reporter is full of sh!t, looooooots of legit deals are simply not going throught or a side is pulling the plug last minute.

Jesus christ you are thick.  Does Martin St. Louis for Ryan Callahan make sense on any level for Tampa Bay?

Jesus christ you are thick.  Does Martin St. Louis for Ryan Callahan make sense on any level for Tampa Bay?

who says it had to be straight up? other players, picks or wtv could be part of it too. "if" reports are true you have a guy who wants out and another one that both sides can't reach an agreement.

How many trades went down that we're not making sense in cases like this? Lots of stuff going behind closed doors that we dont know sometimes.

Do i think there's a better deal out there for Tampa or the Rangrs? Yes i could see that. But on both sides getting "something" near equal values is still better than having a captain who's heart is not there anymore who asked for a trade or a guy who's gonna walk in a few months.

Edited by SterioDesign

I absolutely believe there is or was smoke here, especially with a Callahan trade. Whether or not Msl was involved could just be guesswork, but Boomer definitely has sources with the rags, he had the Klein deal and Richards signing first.

The only thing I take out of this is that they are now shopping Callahan hard. I think it's ~75% he gets moved.

Am I the only one who would want callahan? He is a devils type player if you ask me. He currently plays for the blueskirts so he's a bit disgusting right now to us, but I never really had a problem with him, he plays extremley hard always shows up...ect all the makings of a player you'd want on your team.  

Obviously we don't have anything they want for him, but if he becomes a FA next year I wouldn't mind signing him if we could. Could fill a bit of the role left wide open by parise when he fvcking screwed us over.

Edited by Sneax

Am I the only one who would want callahan? He is a devils type player if you ask me. He currently plays for the blueskirts so he's a bit disgusting right now to us, but I never really had a problem with him, he plays extremley hard always shows up...ect all the makings of a player you'd want on your team.

Obviously we don't have anything they want for him, but if he becomes a FA next year I wouldn't mind signing him if we could. Could fill a bit of the role left wide open by parise when he fvcking screwed us over.

Callahan is a rw so signing him probably means we didn't sign jagr...it wouldn't be terrible but honestly if your going to spend 6 million for at least 5 years for Callahan (I think that's his reported demands) I'd rather save that money and go after a younger more dynamic/top line player like stastny. Really I doubt we get either but if we're gonna spend id rather spend to fill a need, which callahan really doesn't since we have plenty of 2nd line guys.

This is silly. If Tampa traded St. Louis for Callahan they would be insane. St. Louis is an elite scorer at under 6 million per year, and he has another year on his contract. Callahan is a solid two-way forward that is a UFA in July (and his next contract is guaranteed to be an encumbrance on just about any team that signs him). Throw in a first round pick and maybe Tampa considers...but why they would downgrade themselves like that is beyond me. 

so absolutely nobody feel like pointing out that Callahan is 10 years younger than St-Louis?

Nobody points it out because it DOESN'T matter. Callahan is UFA at the end of the year. He might as well be 44. If he had a five year contract then maybe age would be a factor. St. Louis is still elite and will be next year too, the last year on his contract.

Could very well be that negociations (as reported) were not going anywhere so rangers are looking at a swap that could get them a guy right away for the playoff and avoid losing callahan for nothing in the summer since they couldnt agree on a contract.

Also it doesnt mean that if nothing happen that the reporter is full of sh!t, looooooots of legit deals are simply not going throught or a side is pulling the plug last minute.

Well if we could have gotten MSL for Parise in 2012, I might have done it.  But as I've been saying, YOU DON'T TRADE YOUR BEST PLAYERS WHEN YOU'RE RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF A PLAYOFF RACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This trade makes zero sense for Tampa, especially if the one for one trade rumors are true.

so absolutely nobody feel like pointing out that Callahan is 10 years younger than St-Louis?

Teams sometimes dare to live in the present.  Does Callahan help the Lightning's chances THIS year?  Are the 2013-14 Lightning better with St. Louis in their lineup or with Callahan?   

Look at St. Louis' numbers...he leads his team in scoring and by a lot.  He's also a +15.  Yeah, these are not the only numbers to judge a player by, but it's pretty obvious that losing St. Louis (who, as has been pointed out here already, is on a fair deal and still signed through the end of next year) will hurt the Lightning, and Callahan alone would not be anywhere near enough to make up for losing St. Louis.  I think the Rangers would have to sweeten the pot considerably.  Callahan is also a rental and a pretty meh one at that, so unless Tampa is sure they can lock him up long-term, it doesn't really matter how old or young he is.     

The Lightning are in good playoff position right now...I don't see why they'd want to risk that by downgrading/disrupting their team so significantly, or go into the playoffs with a lesser team than what they have right now, unless St. Louis is SO pissed off that he's decided he absolutely can not play in Tampa any longer, no matter what.   

Am I the only one who would want callahan? He is a devils type player if you ask me. He currently plays for the blueskirts so he's a bit disgusting right now to us, but I never really had a problem with him, he plays extremley hard always shows up...ect all the makings of a player you'd want on your team.  

He's a slightly better and more clutch version of Steve Bernier. If Steve Bernier could get 15-20 goals on the season we'd love him, but I still wouldn't want to pay him $7m/7 years.

He's a slightly better and more clutch version of Steve Bernier. If Steve Bernier could get 15-20 goals on the season we'd love him, but I still wouldn't want to pay him $7m/7 years.

Bernier is a 20 points player while Callahan is a 50 point player.

Edited by Mike Brown

The problem with always saying X player isn't worth the money imo is that, who are we waiting to sign? You don't get bonus points for having cap space available. I can see the duration being a problem down the line maybe, but you can always buy out the contracts. It seems to work for other teams.

The problem with always saying X player isn't worth the money imo is that, who are we waiting to sign? You don't get bonus points for having cap space available. I can see the duration being a problem down the line maybe, but you can always buy out the contracts. It seems to work for other teams.

this. Seems like some people here are like scared to death to have a bad contract and would rather pass on 6 good season from a guy cause they are scare to have 2 bad ones at the end.

Fact is, we have no one in our system that will replace the guys we lost. So we're gonna have to TRY to sign free agents, and then we'll have to overpay for something god knows if we'll get. And with the cap rising and the new CBA the salaries are rising too and impact players are even more expensive.

Callahan's contract will not provide value in Year 1.  It will not provide value in Year 6.  Ryan Callahan belongs to the class of player who is always overpaid upon reaching UFA because he never takes a shift off.  His best years are probably behind him already, and he's likely to become more injury-prone as he ages.

The Devils can't afford a contract like this because they have too many other problems on the team and hustle isn't one of them.  Callahan's contract will be Clarksonesque - if he makes it to July 1, his contract will immediately be one of the 5 worst in hockey.

• Like 1

this. Seems like some people here are like scared to death to have a bad contract and would rather pass on 6 good season from a guy cause they are scare to have 2 bad ones at the end.

Fact is, we have no one in our system that will replace the guys we lost. So we're gonna have to TRY to sign free agents, and then we'll have to overpay for something god knows if we'll get. And with the cap rising and the new CBA the salaries are rising too and impact players are even more expensive.

Ryan Callahan won't give you six good seasons.

Teams sometimes dare to live in the present.  Does Callahan help the Lightning's chances THIS year?  Are the 2013-14 Lightning better with St. Louis in their lineup or with Callahan?   

Look at St. Louis' numbers...he leads his team in scoring and by a lot.  He's also a +15.  Yeah, these are not the only numbers to judge a player by, but it's pretty obvious that losing St. Louis (who, as has been pointed out here already, is on a fair deal and still signed through the end of next year) will hurt the Lightning, and Callahan alone would not be anywhere near enough to make up for losing St. Louis.  I think the Rangers would have to sweeten the pot considerably.  Callahan is also a rental and a pretty meh one at that, so unless Tampa is sure they can lock him up long-term, it doesn't really matter how old or young he is.     

The Lightning are in good playoff position right now...I don't see why they'd want to risk that by downgrading/disrupting their team so significantly, or go into the playoffs with a lesser team than what they have right now, unless St. Louis is SO pissed off that he's decided he absolutely can not play in Tampa any longer, no matter what.   

how right you are.