To the Drinkers of Cognac

Banzai Riley

Ooh! It's a lady!"

So I'm in need of some help. A friend of mine has always wanted to have some good cognac. Not the VS they sell at most stores, but a more refined bottle. An XO to be sure. So it's finally come time that I have to get him a gift and I figured that a good cognac and some snifters are in order. Now I'm no expert but I've done some research into the different qualities and labels (a week ago I had no idea what the hell VS, VSOP and XO meant), but I still need some advice on what to get, what to avoid... so pretty much personal preference.

Tomorrow I'm heading to a top shelf liquor store to talk to someone about it, but I figured I'd throw it out there and hope that someone drinks the stuff.

Right now I'm considering a Remy Martin XO:

remy_xo.jpg

Beautiful deep amber-copper color. Rich baked pear, orange marmalade, and spice aromas. A supple entry leads to a round, dryish medium body of dried fruits, dusty brown spices, and light toffee flavors. Finishes with pleasant anise and nuts flavors amid the wood spices and minerals. A balanced, elegant style. -http://www.tastings.com/scout_spirits.lasso?id=180604

This is the Ch

Edited by Banzai Riley

"Remember kids, this segment is for platinum members only. If the name of your school doesn't end in prep, academy, or your own last name, run along and dig for spare change in daddy's pockets..."

Classic stuff. Though my former school's name did end in Academy, so I'm in.

And I'm guessing there are no closet cognac drinkers among us? Really? Not one? Well, I'm continuing with this thread anyway. I'll update it with the information I get and add impressions about what I drink even if no one reads the damn thing. It's cathartic.

"Remember kids, this segment is for platinum members only. If the name of your school doesn't end in prep, academy, or your own last name, run along and dig for spare change in daddy's pockets..."

Classic stuff. Though my former school's name did end in Academy, so I'm in.

And I'm guessing there are no closet cognac drinkers among us? Really? Not one? Well, I'm continuing with this thread anyway. I'll update it with the information I get and add impressions about what I drink even if no one reads the damn thing. It's cathartic.

If we can expand this beyond Cognac, I'm in.

I know nothing at all about Cognac though. Other alcohols, sure. Never developed a taste for Cognac. :/

• 2 weeks later...
If we can expand this beyond Cognac, I'm in.

I know nothing at all about Cognac though. Other alcohols, sure. Never developed a taste for Cognac. :/

Ugh... I'm a terrible post starter. I pretty much left this poor thread alone for a week and it nearly died a lonely death.

Anyway, that's a great idea. I kinda figured a thread like that existed somewhere but if it doesn't... well there needs to be one. I'll edit the original post to make it more drinker-friendly. Any alcohol is fine by me. I'll also throw out a little more cognac love whenever I wake up tomorrow.

Edited by Banzai Riley

Remy XO is very good - Hennessy as well.

The thing about XO cognac is that unless your friend wears a monocle and top hat, and drinks fine liquor all the time, anything pricey enough and with a large enough reputation is probably going to suit him just fine, so it's not worth stressing about.