GDT - 12/23 Devils at Blackhawks

Mike Brown

Also, that's the third time I've listened to the announcers talk about the Devils almost tying/setting a new record for lowest amount of shots in a game THIS SEASON. That is awful. 

They overpass.  They only shoot if there's a clear shooting lane.  They always go for deflections and redirects.  It's infuriating.

I was writing something else, and then still had that word in my head and for some reason I still typed it. I'm sure everyone here has done that before... right? or am I the only idiot... oh well. Also my web browser apparently loves me and just posted something with no text. Maybe I should just give up for the night like the team seemed to do. Fvck it, might as well throw myself onto the "pedestal" as well (I meant to type fire... for the record.)

So?? As i said he got tougher starts with vancouver.

He was also with a better team that gave him more offensive help and didn't have Fayne/Merrill/Gelinas/Zidlicky making idiot mistakes on a nightly basis.  People bag on Sal but they need him right now, and Larsson for that matter.

Edited by NJDevs4978

The Devils aren't twenty points in front, they can't afford to play around to try to give one guy some confidence.  Especially when it looks like the team would rather play for the other guy (our three most dead-*** performances have come with Cory in net - LA, Detroit and tonight).

We're not even halfway into the season yet.  Standings don't mean much right now.

He was also with a better team that gave him more offensive help and didn't have Fayne/Merrill/Gelinas/Zidlicky making idiot mistakes on a nightly basis.  People bag on Sal but they need him right now, and Larsson for that matter.

The team is much better now than it was back when we played Vancouver.

Not give up 5 goals, 3 of which were sh!t?

Which 3 were sh!t?

And what about Marty?  He gave up 4 on 22 shots last game.  We wouldn't have had to go to OT had he not played like crap against Washingotn.

Edited by Mike Brown

We're not even halfway into the season yet.  Standings don't mean much right now.

halfway will be about new yrs, give or take a few games, so we are almost 1/2 way.  Standing do start to matter, esp with our division with alot of teams trying to get third.

I think the last full season the teams that were in the playoff spots in the stadings by thanksgiving, were the teams that actually made the playoffs.  I think doc said this in one of his games 

Edited by bobilly45

So?? As i said he got tougher starts with vancouver.

Gotta build his confidence back up and give him some "gimmes" so to speak. If a fighter loses a title fight, he doesn't go right back out against top-level competition, you build him back up. That's what Cory needs right now to get into a groove. Or ya know, we could just ruin him totally. Also, to the people saying he gave up bad goals *coughMartyisth3b3stcough* (also, no clear bias there), which ones are you even talking about? The breakaway? The top shelf wrister while screened? Leddy walking in with no one in the same area code? Or the one that deflected off of his defenseman? 

Also, man, are people really this upset about a loss to the defending champs? If they would've won this I would've been really surprised and happy, but I had no expectations of that happening. What are the actual expectations around here that we should beat the Hawks when we get 12 shots and what are you people drinking/smoking and can I have some?

Which 3 were sh!t?

And what about Marty?  He gave up 4 on 22 shots last game.  We wouldn't have had to go to OT had he not played like crap against Washingotn.

Bottom Line: Marty gets better offensive support, run with Marty.

In addition I don't get upset when Marty gives up a bad goal. He's old and tired and he's always given up bad goals. Cory? I don't know about that guy.

Edited by CarpathianForest

That's like saying guys hit better for a certain pitcher in baseball. It just doesn't make any sense.

• Like 1

Play better?  He's been a freaking trainwreck this month.  Tri keeps pointing out how he gets the tougher starts, maybe that isn't such a good thing at this point considering he has 4 wins in 17 games.  He looked totally shot confidence-wise tonight.

They need to give him a step down in weight class for a while.

I wouldn't blame Schneider for having his confidence shot. Team averages around 2.85 goals per game for Brodeur and 1.64 goals per game for him. Not playing regularly, being in another goalie battle/controversy, must be a nightmare situation for him.

A lot of people are getting on this guy but quickly forget that in 108 regular season + playoff games with Vancouver he had a 2.23 GAA and .927 SV%.

They mean plenty if you're buried ten points out at the halfway point behind multiple teams.  The only reason we're not buried already is because most of this conference has stunk so far.  But you can't keep banking on EVERYONE aside from the Pens and Bruins stinking forever.

I was referring to Vancouver, when Schnieder was on the Canucks cause someone brought up how he played 'better' teams there more frequently (which is impossible to tell, we didn't follow them enough to know what kind of distribution they had of games played).

Tonight was game thirty something out of 82 for Christ sake! So when do you suppose they mean something? This isn't game 1 through 5.

We've played 38 games.  Wait until January to truly worry about the standings.  We need Schneider in order to make the playoffs.  We need him at the top of his game, and he won't get there unless he plays.

halfway will be about new yrs, give or take a few games, so we are almost 1/2 way.  Standing do start to matter, esp with our division with alot of teams trying to get third.

The last 30 games is when you really start watching the standings.

In addition I don't get upset when Marty gives up a bad goal. He's old and tired and he's always given up bad goals. Cory? I don't know about that guy.

Which is why the younger and better goalie needs to be the guy who gets the net on most nights.

They mean plenty if you're buried ten points out at the halfway point behind multiple teams.  The only reason we're not buried already is because most of this conference has stunk so far.  But you can't keep banking on EVERYONE aside from the Pens and Bruins stinking forever.

Yes, but there's so much left in the season to where anybody can fall out or get back into the playoff race.  You also can't bank on Pittsburgh and Boston staying this good forever.

This exact mentality is what's going to doom this team, if PDB thinks like this.

Cory needs 4-5 consecutive starts. He needs to get on a roll. Playing one game every week and a half is no way to build confidence.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

This exact mentality is what's going to doom this team, if PDB thinks like this.

Cory needs 4-5 consecutive starts. He needs to get on a roll. Playing one game every week and a half is no way to build confidence.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

This!  I couldn't agree more.

This!  I couldn't agree more.

Cory played a backup role in Vancouver, he should be used to this, but hey what do I know? Start the guy who hasn't done much of anything since coming here based on the speculation that 4 or 5 starts in a row, without regard to outcome, should help in some way.