Devils Training Camp / tryouts

SterioDesign

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really worried about the first 10 to 15 games, getting out he gate FAST is imperative in a short season. Missing Henrique for 3 or 4 weeks could be really bad...

Shouldn't be that long, I think they're targeting end of the this month, if this go great, but more likely early next month.

Butler sounds like a smart player:

Butler struggled to find his scoring touch and lost confidence last season, however, and ended up with just six goals and 10 assists in 56 NHL games with Ottawa. After the Senators bought out the final season of his contract last summer, the Devils signed him to a two-way deal with the NHL minimum salary of $525,000.

Butler said it was just a matter of finding his confidence again and remembering to shoot more often and more quickly. He had just 86 shots on goal in 56 games last season with Ottawa. He had 94 shots on goal in his 32 games with Albany.

“You can’t score if you don’t throw it towards the net,” he said. “I didn’t shoot enough last year, so I want to shoot as much as I can this year. It was something I figured out, just looking at stats here and there. I just knew I wasn’t shooting fast enough and shooting enough last year, so that’s one of my focuses this year.”

-TG

For reference, he shot 73 times in 36 games in 2010-2011 - the year in which he scored 10 goals and put up 21 points. In that same year, in the AHL, he shot 136 times in 47 games and scored 22 goals and 33 points. As TG points out above, this year in the AHL he's shot 94 times in 32 games and it's resulted in 15 goals and 23 points. So on average:

2010-2011 (NHL): 2.03 shots per game

2010-2011 (AHL): 2.90 shots per game

2011-2012 (NHL): 1.56 shots per game

2012-2013 (AHL): 2.94 shots per game

It's good to see he realized he wasn't shooting enough in 2011-2012. I don't think he's suddenly going to be on pace to score like 30+ goals at the NHL level, but for those that are missing Sykora, I think he could do an ample job of replacing his scoring if he can maintain the 2+ shot per game average, especially if he's playing on the top line. In the shortened season, is something like 12-15 goals realistic?

Edited by nmigliore

Why not offer Kristian Huselius a tryout? When playing a full healthy season he was putting up 50 - 70 points.

Without Sykora and Parise we need to make up the points. I understand asking the younger guys to do it, but veteran help is always a necessity.

Thoughts?

He just retired, he said he cant handle the pain in his hip anymore. Poor guy had a lot of talent.

Welcome btw. :cheers:

Edited by Zubie#8

Some clips from the scrimmage today. Zajac with a beautiful goal, Kovy absolutely ripped it by Marty, and Barch does not belong on the ice. Kovy deked him onto his ass without touching him.

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=193407&catid=-6

That was a really nice little deke and quick release by zajac on that first goal

Some clips from the scrimmage today. Zajac with a beautiful goal, Kovy absolutely ripped it by Marty, and Barch does not belong on the ice. Kovy deked him onto his ass without touching him.

http://video.nhl.com...193407&catid=-6

That was an embarasing fall even by my Rec team standards.

also i don't think Matteau should make the team this year. I keep hearing good things about him, but an extra year of development simply can't hurt and is it worth to burn an entry-level year on a 48games schedule?

I think if anything, Matteau has shown he could crack the team next year. You're right, there's absolutely no reason to waste a year on a shortened season.