2014-15 Prospect Thread

thefiestygoat

It's September so might as well get this going...

New Additions: C John Quenneville, D Joshua Jacobs, RW Connor Chatham, D Ryan Rehill, C Joey Dudek, LW Brandon Baddock

Going Pro: D Joe Faust, D Curtis Gedig, LW Ben Johnson, LW Ben Thomson, C Graham Black, D Damon Severson, RW Myles Bell* No confirmation Bell has been signed but I'm assuming he is.

Not Signed: RW Derek Rodwell

NCAA
C Blake Coleman (Miami - SR)
LW/C Blake Pietila (Michigan Tech - SR)
LW/C Alex Kerfoot (Harvard - SO)
D Steve Santini (Boston College - SO)
D Joshua Jacobs (Michigan State - FR)* Sarnia hold his OHL rights, Green Bay hold his USHL rights.

QMJHL
G Anthony Brodeur (Gatineau)

OHL
C Ryan Kujawinski (Kingston)
RW Connor Chatham (Plymouth)

WHL
C John Quenneville (Brandon)
D Ryan Rehill (Kamloops)
LW Brandon Baddock (Edmonton)

USHL
C Joey Dudek (Dubuque)* Committed to Boston College for 2015-16.

USPHL and USHS
LW Miles Wood (South Shore Kings and Noble & Greenough)* Committed to Boston College for 2015-16.

KHL
C Artur Gavrus (Dinamo Minsk)

Let me know if I made any errors or forgot something above.
--------------------------
Preseason Stats thru 8/31:
QMJHL
Anthony Brodeur: 3 GP 2-0-0, 3.20 GAA, .902 SV%

OHL
Connor Chatham: 1 GP 1-0-1

WHL
Ryan Rehill: 1 GP 0-0-0
Brandon Baddock: 1 GP 0-0-0, +1, 16 PIM (Interference, Goalie Interference, Roughing, Misconduct)

KHL
Artur Gavrus and Dinamo Minsk finished their 10 game preseason but there isn't much info out there.
--------------------------
Not to spam my own stuff but as most of you know I'm writing about the prospects for In Lou We Trust. Using the Prospects - Devils & Otherwise tag you can see some of my post from this summer. I'll have a post up Tuesday about the Devils CHL prospects that are turning pro with quotes and opinions from the radio announcers and a blogger that covered them the past few years. I'll still be doing daily updates for all the games in this thread all year long.

• Like 3

Look forward to visiting this thread everyday Brian.  Has Loktianov been signed anywhere? He was more productive than JJ. Maybe (hopefully) this will be Jacobs year to show he belongs in nhl

Thanks for the compliments everyone!

Look forward to visiting this thread everyday Brian.  Has Loktianov been signed anywhere? He was more productive than JJ. Maybe (hopefully) this will be Jacobs year to show he belongs in nhl

Loktionov is still a UFA. He did have shoulder surgery after getting hurt at the World Hockey Championship this spring so maybe that has had some affect on his situation.

Looking forward to your continued coverage. Is Jacobs definitely going to Michigan St. or is he going back to the USHL?

At the time of the draft it seemed like Sarnia (OHL) was a legitimate option for Jacobs  if he didn't follow through on his MSU committment. Another year in the USHL seemed really unlikely and still does. I haven't found anything about Jacobs going to Sarnia so it looks like he will be at MSU.

Thanks for the compliments everyone!

Loktionov is still a UFA. He did have shoulder surgery after getting hurt at the World Hockey Championship this spring so maybe that has had some affect on his situation.

At the time of the draft it seemed like Sarnia (OHL) was a legitimate option for Jacobs if he didn't follow through on his MSU committment. Another year in the USHL seemed really unlikely and still does. I haven't found anything about Jacobs going to Sarnia so it looks like he will be at MSU.

Think it's pretty clear he's playing for MSU

@JoshJacobs8: Feels so weird to be thinking I'm moving into college in a week..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Think it's pretty clear he's playing for MSU

@JoshJacobs8: Feels so weird to be thinking I'm moving into college in a week..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There we have it.

I guess I sort of underrated the Michigan St. program. I knew Ryan Miller went there, but the list of alumni is actually pretty impressive. Brind Amour, Krug, Horcoff, Keith, Booth, Anson Carter, Harding and many more.

Looking forward to your continued coverage. Is Jacobs definitely going to Michigan St. or is he going back to the USHL?

I wonder if prospects ask Lou for advice on this?  I remember when Romano (when he was in Devs org) left college like mid year he went to Jr. club that drafted him. I wonder if Lou had anything to do with that?  Who do they consult? not an agent I hope?

I wonder if prospects ask Lou for advice on this?  I remember when Romano (when he was in Devs org) left college like mid year he went to Jr. club that drafted him. I wonder if Lou had anything to do with that?  Who do they consult? not an agent I hope?

They can't consult an agent otherwise they become ineligible for NCAA hockey.  They can retain an advisor.  I do believe that they talk to Lou, but ultimately it's up to them.  I think it's ultimately a good thing that Reid Boucher forwent Michigan State to go to Sarnia, for instance.

Romano did not leave college mid-year - he left after one year.  

Monday 9/8

KHL

Dinamo Minsk lost to SKA 5-2

Artur Gavrus F: Goal (PP), -1, 2 Shots, 1/1 Faceoff, 12:01 TOI, 3 Hits, 1 Block

-- Only had 1 goal last year in 30 games. Here's the video of his goal from today.

Not a bad goal. Getting some  pp time. 

To my knowledge, the Devils haven't released their training camp roster, but according to the Brandon Wheat Kings' website John Quenneville, Brandon Baddock, Ryan Rehill, Myles Bell and Damon Severson will be at Devils camp. It looks like Bell has recovered from his major injury.

http://www.wheatkings.com/article/131-whlers-at-nhl-camps-this-week

Edited by SMantzas

Wonder why Lou has no desire to have rookies play in tournament Traverse City? or the other tournament? I was going to ask TG, but I have such a hard time posting there.  Plus there are so many idiotic posts. 

Friday 9/12
QMJHL
Gatineau lost to Val-d'Or 3-2 (SO)
Anthony Brodeur G: 25 Saves on 27 Shots, Stopped 3 of 4 Shootout Attempts

KHL
Dinamo Minsk defeated Atlant Moscow Oblast 3-2
Artur Gavrus F: E, 2 PIM (Roughing), 4 Shots, 0/2 Faceoffs, 9:08 TOI
Season: 4 GP 1-0-1, E, 4 PIM, 14.3 SH%, 1.8 SH/GP, 33.3 FO%, 10:50 ATOI

Miles Wood Update from Mark Divver:

"Miles Wood (Nobles, BC) not playing for @SouthShoreKings this fall, Scott Harlow confirms. SSK expected to have him til start of prep season"

-- I'm a little disappointed by this. The prep season runs December-February and doesn't hit the 30 game mark. Would've liked him to be playing more hockey somewhere, especially at age 19.

Sunday 9/14
KHL
Dinamo Minsk defeated CSKA Moskva 3-2
Artur Gavrus F: Goal, -1, 1 Shot, 1/1 Faceoff, 1 Hit, 9:03 TOI
Season: 5 GP 2-0-2, -1, 4 PIM, 25.0 SH%, 1.6 SH/GP, 42.9 FO%, 10:28 ATOI

-- Gavrus only had 1 goal and  4 points last year so he's off to a nice start this season. Here's a link to his goal against CSKA.