NSFW: Cam Janssen interview

Mayday

The videos were shown in the arena during the playoffs so either the Devils agreed to show it or the NHL asked them to show it.

Either way I think this should stuff shouldn't be shown. I'm there to watch a hockey game not to get involved in political nonsense.

Then don't get involved. I see nothing wrong with them making people aware of the campaign's existence.

Well, I just easily found some board award nominees for most underrated and best newcomer. whistling.gif

I think the NHL should stick to what they are suppose to do and just run a hockey league. No matter how anyone wants to argue it, this always comes back to being a religious and political issue and the NHL should have no business being involved in it.

yep

The videos were shown in the arena during the playoffs so either the Devils agreed to show it or the NHL asked them to show it.

Either way I think this should stuff shouldn't be shown. I'm there to watch a hockey game not to get involved in political nonsense.

a) It's during the intermissions if I recall correctly, along with 30 other commercials and messages. And b) nothing political there. They're not telling you to vote YES for gay marriage in November, they're just hockey players speaking out to any kid in the audience who's scared to come out that things are changing and things are going to get better for them. Advocating us to treat everyone fairly is not politics, it's morality.

On the other hand, not really too happy at how this situation's blowing up in regards to Janssen's words. I'm usually an advocate for gay rights but this is counterproductive in my opinion, where many people are just standing aside and asking themselves "Really??...." These people may not take future (and WORSE) incidents seriously, like the boy who cried wolf..

my biggest gripe on the whole "gay" thing is when people use the term "homophobe" for someone who speaks out against gays or says something defamatory toward them. Unless you're saying "gays frighten me" you're using an incorrect term. Phobia = fear, not hatred, disapproval, bashing.

honestly I couldn't care less about the whole gay community or what they do in their own lives. Just don't go forcing everyone to not only accept it, but celebrate it. Stop with the "gay days" festival at DisneyLand, and making everyone have gay-friendly events to show acceptance. If you're gay, fine, more power to you, just keep it to yourself and don't hit on me. I like boobies. I just don't like the tone of pro sports thinking they "own" this player until retirement just because he has an employment contract with them. this is the offseason, which means he goes back to being a normal guy and can do whatever he wants. he doesn't "represent the team" until camp starts, and shouldn't be subject to uncle Lou's crackdown, or action from the league. He didn't go on the show as Cam Janssen, New Jersey Devils player, he went on as Cam Janssen, regular guy who just happens to be that other guy from October to June. this was an interview on an off-color howard stern like interview show where he was expected to be vulgar, the hosts are. I've seen their other "the best we're allowed to show you on YouTube" highlights. It's all women stripping and jilling off in the studio. He just happened to be the hometown boy they got on who just happens to be a hockey player on a big name team. Honestly, to this whole thing I say Big Fvckin Deal. If the gays are upset, let them be upset.

good for Cam being a man, and speaking his mind instead of worrying about offending people. I'm sure there are many others in the league who have the same mindset, whether they'd admit it or not.

• Like 1

I dig that avatar. The Replacements - awesome group.

Thank you, sir. They were, and are, truly under-appreciated.

And Legion, homosexuals are celebrating what appears to be a mass 'coming out.' Considering the history of bigotry they've had to face, what the hell is wrong with a Gay Pride Parade from time to time? It's not up to them to not interfere with your sensibilities (i.e "forcing everyone to celebrate it"), it is up to you to accept this is the way it is and move on.

We need a favorite Cam moments thread to show our solidarity. Here's mine: I was watching warmups at the Staples Center earlier this year. By the side boards (right next to me) Cam saw a couple holding an infant with a Devils jersey on. He softly tossed a puck over the boards to the parents. However, a man standing next to them reached out and intercepted the puck and kept it forhimself, smiling like an a$$hole. Cam, stopped, sneered, smashed the glass in front of the man with his fist and pointed towards the baby. I have never seen the smile wipe off someone's fast as it did right then as he handed the puck over to the parents of the baby.

To hopefully wrap up this entire thing:

“I had an excellent conversation with him. He was very upset about the entire thing. He was very contrite. I thought he was incredibly sincere. He talked a lot about his feeling on these issues, about gay teammates, he talked about gay friends, that type of thing. He said he got sucked in to the off-colour tone of the interview and was trying to play along and make the interviewers happy. He said he immediately regretted it. He got in his car afterward and immediately felt like, ‘Oh, that was dumb,’” Burke explained.

“I talked to him a lot about You Can Play. He was aware of us beforehand, but I wanted to speak with him about what we stand for and why we stand for it. And he listened and I hope can learn. At the end of it I was happy with his response. I don’t think anything he said was appropriate or acceptable. A lot of people on Twitter are calling for his head, and I don’t agree with that. I think athletes should be given a chance to respond to the mistakes they make and we should judge them based on their response.”

http://pmd.fan590.com/audio_on_demand-2/Patrick-Burke-with-Jeff-Sammut-js-20120713-Interview.mp3

Now we can go back to wondering why the Devils re-signed Cam when he is one of the worst players in the league and not even good at fighting. And he didn't even hit anyone last year either. There is a good 4th line in place already.

Edited by devilsrule33

Now we can go back to wondering why the Devils re-signed Cam when he is one of the worst players in the league and not even good at fighting. And he didn't even hit anyone last year either. There is a good 4th line in place already.

When you have a flaming dinosaur riding unicorn that eats zombies and spits out vampire blood you want him on your side, not the opponents.

1...Unless you're saying "gays frighten me" you're using an incorrect term. Phobia = fear, not hatred, disapproval, bashing.

2...just keep it to yourself and don't hit on me. I like boobies.

3...and jilling off in the studio.

1 Right, you must love gays or you are afraid of them, yer not allowed to just disagree with what they do.

2 laugh.gif

3 A humorous term that doesn't get seen enough.

And Legion, homosexuals are celebrating what appears to be a mass 'coming out.' Considering the history of bigotry they've had to face, what the hell is wrong with a Gay Pride Parade from time to time? It's not up to them to not interfere with your sensibilities (i.e "forcing everyone to celebrate it"), it is up to you to accept this is the way it is and move on.

Sorry GA Devil, I disagree and say no one HAS to accept it. That's the point. EVERYONE is entitled to have their OWN opinion, & NOT have to conform to what the ruling or squeaky party sez is right.

YouCanPlayTeam Once again, here is our official statement regarding the Cam Janssen incident. Cam will be filming a YCP PSA shortly.

oddly enough, i actually want to see what will come from this PSA

Cams PSA - "It doesn't matter if you suck cock or not, I'm still going to try to punch your face in with my fists since I believe in equality for everyone."

• Like 2

If he was a bigger athlete and SNL season was still running, that be a fantastic comedy sketch to do.

I IMMEDIATELY thought of SNL when I saw a PSA on its way. giggle.gif

Cams PSA - "It doesn't matter if you suck cock or not, I'm still going to try to punch your face in with my fists since I believe in equality for everyone."

This.

I honestly can't believe how out of control this got. People calling him a homophobe, or saying he made fun of gays. UNREAL. I get he's a public figure since he's a NHL player but give the dude a break. I say the same type of comment everyday and even worse. YOU ALL DO. Get over yourselves. This high and mighty act needs to stop. It's pathetic...dude said a bunch of curse words and said he'd beat up a cock sucker. IDC what was asked of him...if it wasn't a cock sucker it might have been a dress shopper, Cam STILL would've said he'd get beaten up on the ice. FACT.