It is a retool not a rebuild

Beetlebum

Miller only has 1 more season on his current contract, '13-14. Personally I think you would need to get an extension out of him (3 years for  something like 9 -10.5 mil?) as part of the deal or pass on him. 

Kovalchuk trade is the blue print for any deal we make for Vanek.

that's a once in 20 years trade that you need a team dumb as Atlanta and a pending UFA to make. 

too old... i'd do Larsson for Eberle for example in a heartbeat though. (or a similar kind of player)

No thanks. Not trading him for a guy who's going to be a perennial 60 point player at best (no he's not gonna put up 76 again very often and sterio won't wanna know why  :P )

Edited by DH26

This is a rebuild, not a retool.  

Dealing Larrson is foolish.   GHDI well said.

Lou should play his cards close to the vest, but he has to resign Elias and Clarkson first and foremost.

This off-season is going to be interesting with the cap reduction.  Lou should just sit and wait as the offseason unfolds.

Well, Yakupov is going to be one of the most dangerous players in the league in a couple years. I don't think there's much the Devils could even string together to get Nail from EDM, even if it involves Larsson.

I agree, though, about there being a lot of work cut out for Lou this offseason. The defense situation really needs to be settled so that we have a consistent group of 6 starting every game. I wouldn't mind Zid coming back for another year. He would be a good mentor for some offensive-minded defensemen that may get a look in the NHL next season for a few games (Merrill, Gelinas).

Obviously the forwards need to be cleaned up a bit. Too many third liners on this team. Sullivan will obviously be gone, and probably one of D'Agostini or Poni.

I'd like to see something like this:

Henrique-Loktionov-Kovalchuk

Elias-Zajac-Clarkson

Zubrus-Josefson-D'Agostini

CBGB

Greene-Larsson

Salvador-Zidlicky

Tallinder-Fayne

In the case that Clarkson walks, Zubrus would take his spot, and Matteau may be ready to fill in that last hole.

And I think we all know that nothing is likely to happen with the goalies.

I'm sorry but that won't cut it this just more of the same, they need a top line scorer and bring up some youth from minors

The Devils need to retool there defense, trade a player here and call up a player there.  They need to rebuild there offense, They need to replace Parise, which they were unable to do this year.  Hopefully in this years draft they can do that. 

What about Dougie Hamilton? He has had a pretty immediate impact scoring wise.

Hamilton is not a perfect comparison IMO. Firstly, he's got more experience than Larsson in terms of playing in North America. He's also playing third pairing on a better Boston team and playing behind a first ballot HOFer in Chara. Neither Hamilton or Larsson has been given a lot of responsibility yet.

Larsson doesn't have that same thing going for him here. I'd also say that Hamilton's impact is somewhat minimal in respect to scoring. He's got 16 points in 41 games in his first season in the NHL. Last season, Larsson had a similar line with 18 in 65. Larsson needs to play more and I think that will come next year.

Hamilton has the luxury of being on a better team with better players at his position. 

Hamilton is not a perfect comparison IMO. Firstly, he's got more experience than Larsson in terms of playing in North America. He's also playing third pairing on a better Boston team and playing behind a first ballot HOFer in Chara. Neither Hamilton or Larsson has been given a lot of responsibility yet.

Larsson doesn't have that same thing going for him here. I'd also say that Hamilton's impact is somewhat minimal in respect to scoring. He's got 16 points in 41 games in his first season in the NHL. Last season, Larsson had a similar line with 18 in 65. Larsson needs to play more and I think that will come next year.

Hamilton has the luxury of being on a better team with better players at his position. 

Foster would put up a lot points with Chara. :giggle: 

This is a rebuild, not a retool.

Dealing Larrson is foolish. GHDI well said.

Lou should play his cards close to the vest, but he has to resign Elias and Clarkson first and foremost.

This off-season is going to be interesting with the cap reduction. Lou should just sit and wait as the offseason unfolds.

It's not a rebuild at all. You won't see us trading away players for picks or gutting this team. Too many things are aligning this offseason for the devils to improve significantly (5th or 6th most cap space in the league, high draft pick, potential prospects make the jump to the NHL, and there will be something done with the 8 dman situation)

Lou let last season unfold and look what happened. He isn't going to do that again this offseason.

It's not a rebuild at all. You won't see us trading away players for picks or gutting this team. Too many things are aligning this offseason for the devils to improve significantly (5th or 6th most cap space in the league, high draft pick, potential prospects make the jump to the NHL, and there will be something done with the 8 dman situation)

Lou let last season unfold and look what happened. He isn't going to do that again this offseason.

we're 11th in dollars per opening, still in good shape even if we pay clarkson patty and zubie, unfortunately there are few FAs that standout who are under 35

I don't buy this age thing. People keep saying we're old. We're not that old, but we have outliers pulling the ages up like Marty and Moose. 

But looking at top players only Elias, Zuby, and Poni are 33 and higher. Wouldn't you say Elias and Zuby are aging well? No reason to think Elias won't be another Selanne type of guy if he wants to stay here.

Yes, Poni is 33, and Sullivan is 39 but do they count? They are in and out of the lineup.

Kovy is only 30, Clarkson 29, Henrique 23, JJ 22, Zajac 27, Bernier and Carter are 28 and 29.

If you let Sullivan and Poni go ( hard stretch, i know) and replace them  with forwards in their 20s, it's not an old group.

Greene 30

Fayne 25

Larsson 20

Harrold 29

Volchie is only 31, he's just not good. He plays like 38.

Tallinder is only 34.

Zidlicky is 36 - again not crazy old, and I wouldn't say his age has dampered him.

Sal is the grandpa at 37. He's old, slow, injury hampered, it's time for him to go.

Yes the goalies are old. We can find a younger back up though.

If they were to buy out Moose and Salvador and Volchie, we'll get significantly younger just by subtractions. But again, Moose barely played and Volchie was out of the lineup a lot of nights.

Edited by HellOnICE

i really hope they sign back patty(im sure they will as long as he doesnt get dogged with some bs offer), henrique, clarky, zubs, i would like to see lokti back... if we have to sullivan the rest of the FA's peace.. no need to kostopolus who hasnt even been in the line up hes junk, poni can get to steppin as well hasnt done a goddamn thing all year.. and the same for dags

I don't buy this age thing. People keep saying we're old. We're not that old, but we have outliers pulling the ages up like Marty and Moose. 

But looking at top players only Elias, Zuby, and Poni are 33 and higher. Wouldn't you say Elias and Zuby are aging well? No reason to think Elias won't be another Selanne type of guy if he wants to stay here.

Yes, Poni is 33, and Sullivan is 39 but do they count? They are in and out of the lineup.

Kovy is only 30, Clarkson 29, Henrique 23, JJ 22, Zajac 27, Bernier and Carter are 28 and 29.

Greene 30

Fayne 25

Larsson 20

Harrold 29

Volchie is only 31, he's just not good. He plays like 38.

Tallinder is only 34.

Zidlicky is 36 - again not crazy old, and I wouldn't say his age has dampered him.

Sal is the grandpa at 37. He's old, slow, injury hampered, it's time for him to go.

agree - they just play all stodgy-like

No they don't. Sal and Volchie suck.

Tallinder deserves another shot, because I don't think he's been as awful as they are. Not even close. I think Tally is tradeable even, and even then I might want to keep him around in case a rookie or two doesnt pan out.  I think Zids is a useful player, with a unique skillset, even if he approaches MA Bergeron defensive territory sometimes, but he can't be paired with black holes. I'd keep him for right price I'd keep Harrold too, as a 7th incase a a rookie doesn't pan out, he's a filler guy who someone would claim on waivers or trade a 7th for.

Edited by HellOnICE

i know I know -- I'm just mouthing off to amuse myself,

I'm very mixed on Tallinder.  Some things I think are great but some things just confound me.  He plays like it's a confidence issue. 

I hate Salvador and Volchenkov.  I really do.  They are both such HUGE disappointments.  This is when i wonder if my whole take on defence is just unrealistic and skewed.

No they don't. Sal and Volchie suck.

Tallinder deserves another shot, because I don't think he's been as awful as they are. Not even close. I think Tally is tradeable even, and even then I might want to keep him around in case a rookie or two doesnt pan out.  I think Zids is a useful player, with a unique skillset, even if he approaches MA Bergeron defensive territory sometimes, but he can't be paired with black holes. I'd keep him for right price I'd keep Harrold too, as a 7th incase a a rookie doesn't pan out, he's a filler guy who someone would claim on waivers or trade a 7th for.

Agreed pretty much down the line.

Salvador and Volch are worse than suck. When they are on the ice, they are absolute albatrosses. I actually don't think Volch was terrible vs the Rags, but he's had so few bright spots this season that if there's any way to move him and get something in return, or he gets bought out, I will be thankful. Sal had Cup fever last playoffs and played his head off, and I think his head and heart are in the right spot, he just doesn't have the skills any more.

Tallinder and Zidlicky both still have something to provide, but if Zidlicky is not re-signed I won't be wasting any words complaining about it. So be it.

Watch them all be back.