World Championships

HellOnICE

Yay that we have some world championships to look at this season.

There's been some rumor of Pete DeBoer going to coach Team Canada. Zajac has played in the WC before and would certainly deserve a spot on a national team. He's pretty healthy. Henrique could warrant a spot but I think with injury he may sit out too. Depends.

I am going to guess most of the Olympians will not want to shlep over to Minsk. Maybe Brunner will go play for Swiss given they've not got many NHLers, plus it's close to home anyway.

With that said, I would have to assume Cory, Greene (despite the snub) will play for Team USA. They could perhaps both look at it like laying groundwork for future invites. And I have no idea what to expect with team USA and who didn't make the playoffs/etc - could we see Ryan Carter, Stephen Gionta - or maybe even USA takes the pair of Mark Fayne-Andry Greene or even Jon Merrill.

I wonder also if most of Team Sweden's defensemen decline going post-Olympics - if Larsson has an outside shot at SWE.

Let the offseason begin.

Edited by HellOnICE

If i were Green and have been snubbed before, screw them, "they want me now cause no one else wants to go"? This is a separate org committee than Olympics.  Larrson/Merril will in playoffs with Albany.

Greene wasn't asked last year, so who the heck knows if he is on their radar, anyway. Idiots, really.

Schneider must be itching to go now. Wouldn't shock me if no Canadians are asked. They seem to heavily chose Canadian team players and like to use it as international experience for younger players that they have their eye on (See Sean Monahan).

I'd love to see Greene and Fayne represent the US, but I'm not going to hold my breath. Have to imagine Schneider will be there. Would be cool to see DeBoer, Zajac, and Henrique together with Canada but that seems like wishful thinking. Would also love to see any of the Devils Czech's there.

Devils prospect Artur Gavrus represented Belarus last year but I don't know if he will be healthy in time to play for them this year. Probably soon to be an ex prospect for the Devils anyway. Raman Hrabarenka played for Belarus a few years ago, maybe he will get the call if the Albany Devils don't make a run in the playoffs.

Ex Albany River Rat and Devils 2000 draft pick Matt Demarchi has played for Italy in numerous international competitions. Maybe he'll be there.

There's one positive thing about Devils not being in the playoffs for me personally - my dream to see Zubrus playing live will come true. He will represent his country in the 2014 IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship Division I Group B in Vilnius (Lithuania). I'm so excited  :yay:

LINK:

http://www.iihf.com/competition/386/news/news-singleview/?tx_ttnews%5Btt_news%5D=8688&cHash=8aef0f93581aa1919179615e61435bcc

• 2 weeks later...

So, Championship is over.. My dream to see Zubrus playing live came true, Lithuania won a bronze medal, Zubrus became a best forward of the championship (9pts in 5 games) and only good memories will remain. Here's the interview with Dainius after the event:

http://www.iihf.com/competition/386/news/news-singleview/?tx_ttnews%5Btt_news%5D=8747&cHash=bc7a805dd82555077728035959a6b38d

And here are some photos after the last game, and award ceremony:

http://www.delfi.lt/sportas/kitos-sporto-sakos/d-zubrus-nezinau-kodel-bet-tokio-jausmo-dar-nebuvau-patyres.d?id=64639429#dgslt-149522:5226071

So, Championship is over.. My dream to see Zubrus playing live came true, Lithuania won a bronze medal, Zubrus became a best forward of the championship (9pts in 5 games) and only good memories will remain. Here's the interview with Dainius after the event:

http://www.iihf.com/competition/386/news/news-singleview/?tx_ttnews%5Btt_news%5D=8747&cHash=bc7a805dd82555077728035959a6b38d

http://www.delfi.lt/sportas/kitos-sporto-sakos/d-zubrus-nezinau-kodel-bet-tokio-jausmo-dar-nebuvau-patyres.d?id=64639429#dgslt-149522:5226071

Thanks for posting, that was a nice read. I am glad you got to see him play.

Glad you got to see Zubrus live, Niaure! Looking through those pictures, I don't think I've ever seen a team hoist a coach like that on ice.

NBCSN is going to have all of the USA games (Source). The link has the schedule.

Gavrus has been playing exhibitions with the Belarus team so I look forward to seeing him play the US.

So, Championship is over.. My dream to see Zubrus playing live came true, Lithuania won a bronze medal, Zubrus became a best forward of the championship (9pts in 5 games) and only good memories will remain. Here's the interview with Dainius after the event:

Great to see Niaure.

Team GB didnt have such a bad tournament considering the state of UK ice hockey right now.

• 2 weeks later...

Deb Kaufman Placey ‏@DebPlacey 28m

Andrei Loktionov isn't back on RUS bench. Team officials say he sustained a serious injury and is on the way to the hospital #Canes

Hope he's ok.

Damn.

So only Jagr and Brunner are playing? I would have thought Cory would have been interested in playing, but he isn't there. I bet Greene wasn't even asked and Zajac not playing (probably not asked) is comical.

Edited by devilsrule33

Looks like no Gavrus for Belarus which takes the US on in a 23 minutes on NBCSN. D Raman Hrabarenka from Albany is on the team though as well as 2013 Devils Prospect Camp Attendee D Oleg Yevenko who just completed his junior year at UMass (Amherst). He's listed at 6'7, 230.

Deb Kaufman Placey @DebPlacey 28m

Andrei Loktionov isn't back on RUS bench. Team officials say he sustained a serious injury and is on the way to the hospital #Canes

Hope he's ok.

Wow, that's horrible. Whatever it is I hope he ends up being fine.

Day 1
France defeated Canada 3-2 (SO)
Czech Republic defeated Slovakia 3-2 (OT) - Jagr w/ a Goal, 4 Shots, E, 16:46 TOI
Russia defeated Switzerland 5-0 - Brunner w/ 2 PIM (Slashing), 3 Shots, -3, 13:58 TOI, Best Player
USA defeated Belarus 6-1 - Hrabarenka w/ -1, 20:46 TOI

• 3 weeks later...