DEVILS SUPPORTERS SECTION - August 16th - come name the section and p

Satans Hockey

And props to everyone who came and DID keep cheering despite the soul-suckers who weaseled their way into the section.

The section was no different than any other game, with the clear exception that there was not much to cheer for. Everyone in the section was seemingly praying for something to cheer for but never materialized. It was just a poorly played game.

Tonight was a disaster, way too many people who were sitting down and didn't even want to chant. We tried to get chants going and they just died because the majority of people didn't want to chant.

I'm going to work on getting this fixed, the problem was this was a high demand game so we had a lot of people there who actually purchased their tickets through stubhub and had no idea what the section was and they just didn't care.

If the Devils set it up like the Red Bulls do where you actually have to call the Devils to purchase the tickets this problem will be cut down severely because then when they purchase them over the phone they will be told that it is a "standing, chanting, supporters section"

We had people telling others to sit down tonight, it was just ridiculous. I thought this game might become a problem and it turned out to be a disaster but hey ya live and learn and it will be better at the next game. This was by far our worst game, every other game has had chants throughout the night.

Thats unfortunate. Do u plan on bringing this to the attention of the organization?

The section was no different than any other game, with the clear exception that there was not much to cheer for. Everyone in the section was seemingly praying for something to cheer for but never materialized. It was just a poorly played game.

Not true.. It was much different than any other time. Almost nobody had any idea what the section was about, there was a ton of people who bought tickets on stubhub (people trying to profit off the gracious offer the devils gave us) and there was opposing fans. Thanks to the high demand game, and increase in the nhl standings, people are just passing around the link and abusing it. Trust me. Several of us went around talking to people, but just by looking at who was in the section (again, it was spread out which is not nearly as effective as one whole section) you could tell it was gonna be a bad night.

As I posted earlier this week, I've been working on an article, its been passed along to my supervisor and once it gets his seal of approval, I'll post the link.

Thank you again to all of those who were willing to take a few minutes to answer my questions.

EDIT: Here's the link Newest Article for The Hockey Writers

Edited by jagknife

Good article and it definitely hits a lot of the points with the Supporters Section, a nice way to bring some attention to the team and the fan base. I've been contemplating posting my experience at the Caps game and when I read the article I figured I might as well...so, yeah, I went to the game against the Caps and I sat in section 121...here's a little bit of my experience....

First and foremost, as some have pointed out, there were a row or two or three that were just filled with Caps/non-Devil fans so that is going to put a dampening on any experience. However, I'll set the scene first...By the time we actually got into the arena and up to our seats my family, my two sons, wife, and her brother, had just enough time to get to our seat before the National Anthem. Then we sat and I started getting my family settled...no sooner did I begin to do that than did some woman to my left and a row below me start screaming "stand up, stand up" which I got, I understood, it was time to get the "troops" ready. However, a quick glance would've shown I was settling my 3 and 7 year old boys as well as shuffling a rather large roll of papers in my hands (signs that I had made and subsequently passed around to the 20 or so people sitting around us. But instead of noticing what I was doing I turn just in time to hear her yell to whomever she was with, "Oh I see, they just wanted some cheap tickets." This quickly set the mood for the night. Now normally something like this wouldn't bother me...so be it what she thought but it didn't slide off my back as quickly as I thought it would. I work hard, my wife was laid off and is currently unemployed...it is a treat to be able to save a bit and get some tickets...both of my sons love the Devils and watch the games on TV just as much as we do and a night out like that just for tickets and parking alone push over $100 and thats getting those low priced tickets. And I think the reason why it stuck with me is because of what happened the rest of the game. As I, as well as my family, took part in every chant, waived our signs, stood up on occassion, and (considering the circumstances) had a good time, the woman stood (because clearly that was helping the Devils win)...and sat, she didn't take part in any chant after the Devils were down and even left the game before we did (I'll admit at the 5 minute mark, my kids were board and there didn't seem much reason to tough out the rest of the game.

In short, meh....that was my summation of the whole experience, meh. Would I go again in the Supporters Section? probably not...I'll probably wait until I get a $25 ticket promotion and spend the extra 20 bucks to sit where my family won't feel like they are less of a fan because they don't stand the whole time or because they don't get into enough by yelling "rangers suck" when we are down by a goal and out shooting the opponent 20 to 3 (which happened), or because we weren't yelling vulgarities at the Caps fans below us (which happened)....and sure, I've been to plenty of Devils games I know that most of that stuff happens and any and every section, but not once have I had my family feel like we weren't big enough fans because we didn't participate (although I do have to say that the guys above us were all pretty cool, vulgarities and all, seemed like they were just there to enjoy the game even though there wasn't much to cheer about at this game) And although I don't think I have to elaborate but my wife has been a Devils fan since '94 when she went to her first game, myself since I moved to Jersey 10 years ago, and our boys raised Devils fan...no I'm not the casual fan, no I'm not the fair weather fan, nor the financially invested season ticket holder...I, at one point, considered myself a diehard fan...but I'm not your kind of diehard fan...and thats ok with me.

So you can take your supporters section, and good luck on it growing and expanding. But the one thing I'd like to happen is it not be promoted as, and in fact forewarn other families about, the fact that it is simply not a family friendly section.

Edited by UnderDogX

Sorry to hear that underdog, this is another reason why I would like everyone in one section cause I lose the ability to keep some people in line when we are spread out into 2 sections. I was in 122 so I didn't hear any of this stuff or I would have told them to keep it clean.

None of the other games were like this and everyone kept it clean at the other games. As for the Rangers sucks chants, I never start them or participate in them but trying to stop those is so hard. I'd like to never do them unless we are playing the Rangers.

Sorry again underdog, and I hate that you felt like less of a fan, that is not the goal I set out for with all of this and it's a shame that it happened.

I'm not being a dick, but knowing that this is a standing section, why would you get tickets there? You wouldn't be able to see the game if the guy in front of you is standing up. Just my two cents. I wouldn't have reacted like that woman did, since clearly you were a fan, but I wouldn't have lost any sleep if you were to be upset you could not see the ice because you were not standing up. This section isn't a family section (typically, and you can go to philly to see theirs, that section is discounted, and the people that sit there do not stand up, yell, or anything like that, it's usually a lot of kids), because most families aren't willing to stand up the entire game, and high five random people all night long. If your family is like that though, more power to you. I'm not saying you are any less of a fan, but the whole idea of the section is to bring people together who are interested in standing and going the whole nine yards, that way nobody gets mixed up with the wrong group of people (I don't want to be the guy that's ruining your experience, this section is sort of a way to ensure that does not happen. Hopefully you understand what I'm saying.

Again, this section isn't for everyone, and I'm thinking the booze might have gotten the better of some people, but it really was in no way a reflection of how the games usually go in that section. Like always, I'll echo what the message is for each game "be ready to stand, chant, and WEAR YOUR RED" There's no secrets here.

As the woman Underdog is speaking of, I have a few things to say - with all due respect. I did yell for the 100+ fans in the section to "stand up, stand up". Yes, I did turn to my boyfriend and say " I guess people just wanted cheap tickets".. as 3 full rows of Caps fans were filing in below us with about 10 Ranger/Islanders fans. Was this directed to a man, I didn't even know was sitting behind us with a wife and two small children who is having financial difficulty? Of course not! If you turned around quicker and heard my whole conversation instead of "turning your head just in time" to hear a comment that was not directed toward you or any other Devils' fan in the building - you may have saved both of us some aggravation.

As far as telling the section to stand, we have been to every other Supporters' game, and that is what everyone did, tell the crowd to stand up, they did, and it was great fun! In fact, the ONLY reason I didn't yell for everyone behind us to stand a second time was because when I turned to do so, I DID notice your boys behind us - did you happen to hear me say to my boyfriend "oh, there's two little boys behind us"? Must have turned your head again.

As to the fact that I eventually leaned against my seat in a partial sit, (and no, I don't expect my standing to score goals for the Devils - I was just doing what we signed up to do- I didn't create the idea of this section).. I don't think it is a surprise to everyone that this last game did not work out as well as the last few. As far as chants, a few Let's Go Devils were yelled...I'm not the type to start chants..but I did clap and yell for every one. (I'm flattered that you were taking so much notice of me, by the way!) As the game went on, I was extremely annoyed and appalled at the kids behind us who were yelling anti-gay slurs and other vulgar comments to the Caps fans below all game long. Was hotdog throwing necessary? I eventually felt bad for standing when the majority around us were sitting. And the energy of the whole crowd died down - not just mine. So just to summarize, I'm sorry that my two sentences at the very start of the night ruined your families' night...especially considering the nonstop use of the word "jerk**t and other nonsense that was going on behind you. I'm sorry that I caused you to take a comment that was made to a section of 100+ fans in the first 10 seconds of the game to heart - as if I singled you out - for 60 minutes and clearly beyond. I could see if I said "Hey you! - Stand up!" but I didn't - I didn't even notice your family until, as I said, I was ready to yell for everyone to stand the second time - I don't mean to be nasty but how in the world was I supposed to have seen you walk in behind me and try and get your family settled in? I will say that if I didn't say it, and if you were in 122 with the organizers, the section as a whole would have been told to stand up also - as we all were for all the past games. I know I sound very defensive here...but that's because I am - you don't know me, and I don't know you, so this is really a mute point - but for someone to post something about me that was so far from my intentions made me a little sick.

To the organizers, perhaps I misunderstood the bold print of BE READY TO STAND, etc that was on the site where I purchased my tickets and next time I'll just keep to myself. My only hope is that in future games, when you tell everyone to stand, you don't offend someone and ruin their boys' night to the point that a few days later they still feel the need to post about it - I can tell you that the feeling that you ruined someone, especially two small boys, night even if for false reasons - is not a good one to say the least. I also hope that other comments you, or anyone may make, are not partially heard, misconstrued and taken personally by someone you weren't even referring to! Your idea was a great one - and all the other games were a lot of fun - from now on though, I'll stick to Section 215.

I have no problem standing and cheering for the team and by all means your two sentences weren't what ruined the night...it was just a bad start to a bad night on and off the ice. It just seems like the supporters section is a good idea with two ill-meshing concepts. If a family comes to the game you can't expect them to stand the entire night...to get the team going yeah, if the team gives us something to stand and cheer yeah, but it just isn't possible to ask a 3 year old to stand on his seat all night or a parent to hold them the entire game either. As for the people in front of me...they weren't standing either and had they been and were blocking my view I would've been standing or simply moved my kids to an empty seat with no problem whatsoever. I understand the be ready to stand as much as the next guy and, again, have no problem doing so....If you want people to stand, start a cheer or a chant...yelling stand up, stand up and then comments about only wanting cheap tickets isn't at all helpful, but to each his own...If it just comes to it, I'm just saying I'll probably opt to get different tickets is all...

And I do understand the difference between a standing section and a regular section...the title of the thread, the facebook page...all say Supporters Section...that's what I do, support the team...having been on the board long enough to see this thing grow from idea to fruition I also knew that it was intended as a family friendly, all devils fans welcomed section where you get up and cheer for the team, be the backbone to a franchise that has constantly seen their fan based mocked and ridiculed...and that's why I bought the tickets and attended the game.

we need a code of conduct that's officially supported by the Devils in much the same way as the St. Louis Blues have a "Bluenatics Code of Conduct" on the flyer they issued for their new supporters section. This way we won't have any confusion as to the purpose of the section and why those tickets are being offered in the first place.

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/546274/Bluenatics_flyer_Lesser.pdf

Edited by McMullen82

I'm not sure how the Bluenatics thing has worked but I think its great that they got behind their fans like that. Perhaps Satans Hockey and the Devils could have some sort of meeting to work out some of the kinks during the offseason. Ideally I think it would be great if the Devils designated one section (or at least the back half) to the Supporters group that way we could all be united rather than spread across random sections and we could stand up without having to worry about blocking anyones view. Having an official code of conduct to be in the section would crack down on anyone not willing to participate.

We're all Devil fans no matter where you sit or how often you can get to games. Anything that would allow this section to exist where people in the section as well as fans in other sections are happy is the goal.

If you buy the tickets through the link, you're expected to stand and cheer the entire game. It's a simple concept. If you are down to do those things, buy the tickets. If you're not and will get upset if you're staring at my ass the whole game, then boohoo. This game sucked ass, just forget it happened. The game itself sucked, the tickets made available to us sucked, and most of the people in the section sucked. When the thing is in full swing, we get 200 people all in ONE section in all the seats rows 9-14 or so, not scattered rows and sections.

Underdog, sounds to me like you did buy these tickets to save money. Like you said, times are tough and yoou don't expect a small child to stand a whole game. So why bring a small child there? Even if they could stand I doubt they'd be able to see over an adult that might be ahead of them. And if there were no epty seats around what would be the next course of action? Telling everyone in front of you to sit down so the kids to see? My first and foremost agenda for any game is to make sure any kid gets the best experience they could possibly get. But when you have somethinglike this section that also has a certain agenda, you gotta make that work first. So, as unfortunate as it is, maybe bringing kids to this isn't a good idea. Try buying tickets next to the supporter section so you can still get involved. This way you woudnt get accused of taking advantage of cheap tickets, which I believe you did, and you won't have to potentially ruin another fans experience by telling them to sit down incase your kid couldn't see.

Underdog, sounds to me like you did buy these tickets to save money. Like you said, times are tough and yoou don't expect a small child to stand a whole game. So why bring a small child there? Even if they could stand I doubt they'd be able to see over an adult that might be ahead of them. And if there were no epty seats around what would be the next course of action? Telling everyone in front of you to sit down so the kids to see? My first and foremost agenda for any game is to make sure any kid gets the best experience they could possibly get. But when you have somethinglike this section that also has a certain agenda, you gotta make that work first. So, as unfortunate as it is, maybe bringing kids to this isn't a good idea. Try buying tickets next to the supporter section so you can still get involved. This way you woudnt get accused of taking advantage of cheap tickets, which I believe you did, and you won't have to potentially ruin another fans experience by telling them to sit down incase your kid couldn't see.

See this is the exact problem. As I've posted before I understand the idea of the section and I have no problem standing. I wouldn't and did not once tell anyone to sit down...at all. But having been on the board and on the facebook page before the games with the supporters section. And even hearing what SD has said post Caps game the section is a section for all Devils fans and is a family friendly section as well. I'm just saying its a concept with conflicting interests when you get those who think everyone should be standing at every second, other than intermissions and those who go to the game to sit in a highly active cheering section with their family (young kids included)...And I alluded to the $25 tickets before which were offered in an email I received but talked it over with my family and they wanted to be in the cheering section...again, I even spent a few bucks to have about 20 or so signs printed out that we passed out as the game began...

so my point is...as you've clearly stated, is that this section seems as though it is or it isn't a family friendly section...no big deal to me either way, I posted my experience and have no problem getting tickets to another section for a few bucks more. I was just disappointed with how my experience ended...

Edited by UnderDogX

But instead of noticing what I was doing I turn just in time to hear her yell to whomever she was with, "Oh I see, they just wanted some cheap tickets."

Exact reason why I've never wanted to sit in the supporters section and the reason why I get pissed off when I get the privilege to sit down low sometimes. There are far to many people (I'm sure at every arena) that think they are so much more above everyone else. I hate when I get to sit downstairs (very rarely as I'm usually in the 10$ ticket line) and one random guy attempts to start a "LGD" chant and fails miserably, of course the next thing he does is yell "Oh I see! All these fans suck, I should just go back and sit upstairs with the real Devils fans". Then do it, please... For the sake of everyone, leave. Stupid sh!t like this makes me embarrassed to cheer with people like that.

I don't see why there are so many people who feel the need to try and just 1 up everyone in the crowd, why on earth do you need to be a bigger fan then someone else? No one gives a sh!t. The players certainly don't. It just makes you look like a scumbag. Congrats on knowing the shirt size of Tedenby and owning more jerseys then you do normal clothes. No. One. Cares.

Unfortunately people like this are also usually the fans I like to call "should be coaches". You know, those ones who think they know EVERYTHING about hockey. I absolutely love sitting in front of the 400lbs 35 year old man who can't keep his mouth closed for 15 seconds because we're not scoring on every shot and because "insert every players knickname here" is on the wrong line and doesn't fit. Have you ever played a game of hockey in your life? Probably not, these guys have. For a while. Trust me, they know what they're doing more then you do. Rod Pelley has 100x the hockey sense then you do. Sorry bud.

I for one will never be sitting in the supporters section. I love the idea, but just know I'll become extremely frustrated if I do sit there. Good luck with it, I enjoy the chants from afar from all the sections, but I'll probably rip my head off having to sit there.

Exact reason why I've never wanted to sit in the supporters section and the reason why I get pissed off when I get the privilege to sit down low sometimes. There are far to many people (I'm sure at every arena) that think they are so much more above everyone else. I hate when I get to sit downstairs (very rarely as I'm usually in the 10$ ticket line) and one random guy attempts to start a "LGD" chant and fails miserably, of course the next thing he does is yell "Oh I see! All these fans suck, I should just go back and sit upstairs with the real Devils fans". Then do it, please... For the sake of everyone, leave. Stupid sh!t like this makes me embarrassed to cheer with people like that.

I don't see why there are so many people who feel the need to try and just 1 up everyone in the crowd, why on earth do you need to be a bigger fan then someone else? No one gives a sh!t. The players certainly don't. It just makes you look like a scumbag. Congrats on knowing the shirt size of Tedenby and owning more jerseys then you do normal clothes. No. One. Cares.

Unfortunately people like this are also usually the fans I like to call "should be coaches". You know, those ones who think they know EVERYTHING about hockey. I absolutely love sitting in front of the 400lbs 35 year old man who can't keep his mouth closed for 15 seconds because we're not scoring on every shot and because "insert every players knickname here" is on the wrong line and doesn't fit. Have you ever played a game of hockey in your life? Probably not, these guys have. For a while. Trust me, they know what they're doing more then you do. Rod Pelley has 100x the hockey sense then you do. Sorry bud.

I for one will never be sitting in the supporters section. I love the idea, but just know I'll become extremely frustrated if I do sit there. Good luck with it, I enjoy the chants from afar from all the sections, but I'll probably rip my head off having to sit there.

+1. I feel the same way.

You know, I just want to point out that I had an AWESOME time at the supporters game I went to. It was the Islanders game on Sat. There was TONS of chanting and the people that wanted to participate did and the people that didn't, didn't. No one made a big deal (especially cause most of the section did). I stood up a couple times but for the most part did my screaming sitting as the people behind me were sitting and I didn't want to be rude...but that didn't make a difference. We were still heard and still supporting the team. Also, there were 3 small kids about two rows in front of us and they had a blast. They were chanting "Refs, You Suck" and, with a little help from the more vocal people around them, actually STARTED a LGD chant.

Now, I know that the outcomes of both games were HIGHLY different and I'm sure that had A LOT to do with the attitudes of the fans, but this was a great time. There were Islanders fans in the section, but honestly, no one said a word to them.

And as far as going cause the tickets are cheap...YES. That's why we went. Not everyone has the money to spend $65 on ticket or the time to wait for 5 hours to get a $10 seat. This section makes it much more affordable (and it's still expensive considering parking, food and beer).

I understand that some people here feel this section should be a hardcore chanting, standing, rooting section and anyone who doesn't should be kicked out. But imho, that's far from what was intended. I feel this section is a section for fans of the team to be able to go to support their team and enjoy a hockey game. Chant, cheer and have a good time. Not to be made to feel like less of a fan because they sit or because they don't partake in EVERY single one of the LGD chants. And in my experience, it is just that.

1) Did you even bother reading the woman's response?

2) I personally have never encountered anyone in the section with a "we are better than you because we are in this section" attitude. However, if you have, please understand that this is an exception to the rule, rather than the rule itself.

3) To underdog, your experience is not the end all for whether or not this is a family section. This section was created for fans who are willing and able to stand for the entire game and cheer for the Devils. If your family can do that, great, please join. If not, like someone else said, grab a ticket in the adjoining section so you can participate in the cheering but are not bothered by standing fans and standing fans do not have to accommodate sitting fans behind them. If everyone came to the section with a mentality similar to yours, it would not be a standing section, but a stand when you are in the mood section or a stand but only if no one is sitting in front of you section. You can see where this can easily turn into a slippery slope where most of the people in the section are sitting. While I respect your situation and appreciate your enthusiasm for the team and the work you did on the signs, you should probably come without the little kids if you intend to cheer in the supporters section. Its not fair to them have stare at someones back and its not fair standing fans to have to sit because they are blocking someone's view.

4)SatansHockey, please address the issue of whether or not people are expected to stand for the duration of the game in this section. It will prevent future future issues from arising.

2 cents

Edited by Biggie B

1) Did you even bother reading the woman's response?

[/quote

I did read it. For 1, there are two sides to the story, don't know which one is true but either way it just adds to thoughts I had on the section way before this "incident" happened. My viewpoints haven't changed at all since Underdogs post. I wasn't going to sit there in the first place. I'm sure there are people who are fine in the section, but from what I can tell from posts I've seen and the people who seem to be sitting in this section, there's going to be a ton of people like the ones I described. It's basically what happened to the 10$ ticket line which I absolutely was in love with. My favorite times at Devils games are sitting near people who don't understand hockey that much, they just get a great joy out of the game, especially smaller children. That's pure joy, they're not trying to impress anyone by their stat knowledge and whatnot. They're just there to have a good time. That's why I go to hockey games. Would I love to have a nice conversation about the sport with people who have an above average knowledge of it, of course, but would I enjoy sitting next to someone who spurts out every stat they read on the internet the night before 99% of the entire game. No, it makes me want to leave. It completely ruins the viewing experience.

I did read it. For 1, there are two sides to the story, don't know which one is true but either way it just adds to thoughts I had on the section way before this "incident" happened. My viewpoints haven't changed at all since Underdogs post. I wasn't going to sit there in the first place. I'm sure there are people who are fine in the section, but from what I can tell from posts I've seen and the people who seem to be sitting in this section, there's going to be a ton of people like the ones I described. It's basically what happened to the 10$ ticket line which I absolutely was in love with. My favorite times at Devils games are sitting near people who don't understand hockey that much, they just get a great joy out of the game, especially smaller children. That's pure joy, they're not trying to impress anyone by their stat knowledge and whatnot. They're just there to have a good time. That's why I go to hockey games. Would I love to have a nice conversation about the sport with people who have an above average knowledge of it, of course, but would I enjoy sitting next to someone who spurts out every stat they read on the internet the night before 99% of the entire game. No, it makes me want to leave. It completely ruins the viewing experience.

given that the supporters section is trying to do chants for a large portion of the game, this complaint seems entirely misdirected. granted, i haven't sat near or in the supporters section, but this strikes me as the complete opposite of what Satans Hockey wants, or what any person has described their experience in the supporters section as. i think you want the 'Devils Non-Supporters Section' thread.

Edited by Triumph

given that the supporters section is trying to do chants for a large portion of the game, this complaint seems entirely misdirected. granted, i haven't sat near or in the supporters section, but this strikes me as the complete opposite of what Satans Hockey wants, or what any person has described their experience in the supporters section as. i think you want the 'Devils Non-Supporters Section' thread.

I never claimed Satans Hockey wanted this. Not once. I also explained how I thoroughly enjoyed the idea of the section. I just have been reading these forums for a fair while, and have been to a decent amount of games to know the kind of crowd this is going to attract. And it's not a crowd I'd enjoy sitting with. I'm not telling anyone to stop supporting the Devils, I'm not telling anyone to not sit there either. Heck, maybe all the people that fit the description I posted earlier will sit there and it will make the other sections more enjoyable. Maybe someone will read this and realize what they do all game, and that it can get annoying and cut it out.

One thing that has entirely upset me from these posts is whenever a player or article mentions the crowd buzzing, everyone thinks it's solely because of the supporters section. You guys do a great job, but seriously? You're one section. Any section can start chants (some more then others) but c'mon, we're all fans trying to create some buzz in the arena, get off your high horse and just be happy the team is playing well and the crowd is buzzing.

No one boos in the section. No one bitches about people or the players. None of this happens. On a regular night (not retro night) this is what happens:

You show up.

You talk to some other fans, I always meet new people

You stand up

You participate in chants

You celebrate with everyone else when we score

You go home after having a good night, regardless if we win or lose

Is that so hard to understand? Don't even bring up the retro night game anymore. It's seriously not even a fair representation of the section. Pretend it never happened.

Everyone just needs to chill. OK, it was a bad game. Shake it off and move on. The Caps game wasn't even originally SUPPOSED to be a Supporters Section game, but the Devils randomly decided to post a link for tickets for this section because they saw a group of Caps fans were making the trip and wanted to sell more tickets to Devs fans, and you can see the disasterous results. I don't think anyone had a good time at the game. The Devils played like garbage and there were too many fans there who were not there for the right reasons.

J0lly, nice job of taking hockey247's quote out of context even though she explained she was talking about the Caps fans in the section. It was a fair comment to direct that at the fans of the opponent.

However, I do understand your frustrations and the frustrations of the fan who tries to start a LGD chant in the lower section. Unless the fan has never been to The Rock before, he/she should know what to expect in the lower section, so announcing to everyone around that they're not real fans doesn't accomplish much other than venting a little and annoying everyone else in the process. On the other hand, the building IS pretty dead a lot of the time, and unless you either know someone in the upper corners who's selling tickets, have time to stand in the $10 line, or just happen to check ticketmaster at the right time when they release tix in those sections for sale, you're almost guaranteed not to be around like-minded fans who are interested in cheering a good portion of the game. The Supporters Section is supposed to fix that problem, but it's going to take time to work out all the big kinks.

It seems like you're lumping all the people who want to cheer all game with the people who sit there and pretend to know more about hockey than the guys on the ice. Please don't. I am someone who likes to cheer and chant a lot, but I don't sit there and pretend I know everything and make critical comments every 30 seconds. Plenty of us are the same way. Honestly, you're going to be sitting near those types no matter where you sit, because it seems like they are in EVERY section (if anyone knows of a "coach"-free section though, please chime in :) ). I respect your decision to at least try to avoid those pretend coaches though because I agree with you completely that they are really annoying and that Rod Pelley DOES have 100x more hockey sense than they do. :)

Underdog, I'm REALLY sorry to hear you had a crappy time. :( Thank you for coming and printing up all those signs and joining in on the chants. You did a lot more than many others who were in the section. I understand your thinking behind buying tickets in the section, but I do have to agree that it was questionable to bring children THAT young into a standing section, regardless of your willingness to move if the people in front of you were standing. The point of the Supporters Section is to get everyone together who's really into cheering the team on for most of the game. I really hope that you and anyone else who wants to do this but for whatever reason can't/doesn't want to actually stand the entire game will try to sit in a section next to us. We just want to be as loud and as positive an influence on the team as possible, and we need your help to do it. Thanks for the feedback and the suggestion that we can do a better job of communicating what we're all about. It seems like SatansHockey is working his tail off to correct the problems that have come up. Props to him on that.

:gd:

I never claimed Satans Hockey wanted this. Not once. I also explained how I thoroughly enjoyed the idea of the section. I just have been reading these forums for a fair while, and have been to a decent amount of games to know the kind of crowd this is going to attract. And it's not a crowd I'd enjoy sitting with. I'm not telling anyone to stop supporting the Devils, I'm not telling anyone to not sit there either. Heck, maybe all the people that fit the description I posted earlier will sit there and it will make the other sections more enjoyable. Maybe someone will read this and realize what they do all game, and that it can get annoying and cut it out.

One thing that has entirely upset me from these posts is whenever a player or article mentions the crowd buzzing, everyone thinks it's solely because of the supporters section. You guys do a great job, but seriously? You're one section. Any section can start chants (some more then others) but c'mon, we're all fans trying to create some buzz in the arena, get off your high horse and just be happy the team is playing well and the crowd is buzzing.

JollyRoger, you have never participated in the section, yet you are completely dismissing it based on the reactions of a few people on the board. I have been to a couple of games as part of this section and can confidently say that the amount of amateur coaching is no more, if not less, than in all other sections, both low and high. To the contrary, people in this section are preoccupied with chanting and cheering for the team. If you are the type of fan who wants to more actively engage by standing and cheering, give the section a try, you will be surprised how much fun you will have. If you prefer to sit, discuss hockey with your neighbors and occasionally cheer, than the section is not for you. We are no better and no worse fans than you. Please don't berate this section and spread negative connotations based on other's stories and your own preferences. They are neither helping the cause nor providing constructive criticism.

As for your final comment about the supporters section taking ALL the credit for any article discussing the "crowd buzzing", it is simply an exaggerated and unfair reaction to isolated comments on this board. Most if not all were innocent in nature and misinterpreted by others with preconceived notions of the type of people who will be in the section. Please don't take innocent comments and paint a portrait of egomaniac fans oblivious to the world around them. However, even if we were to assume there were a few people who credited themselves with all the accolades, is it fair to characterize the whole by the opinions of the few?

Last but not least, it is impossible deny the change in atmosphere that the supporters section adds to the Rock. I have been going to games for many years and the continuous cheering and standing is something that is quite novel and in my opinion a welcome addition to the otherwise lethargic atmosphere of yesteryears. It energizes the team, other dections, and really adds positive energy to the general atmosphere of the games. I think it is quite naive to believe that the players and reporters have not noticed "something" different.

In parting words, lets not be quick to judge the supporters section. It is new, but it has promise. We welcome all, including JollyRoger(lol), to give it a shot if you think it is something you would enjoy doing. If not, please support us by joining in our chants and starting your own chants from wherever you are sitting. The End. :cheers:

Edited by Biggie B