GDT: Devils vs. Rags

ZeroGravityFat

I can't really make much of a case for the Devils deserving to win that one...Rangers did outplay them.

Not true at all. The Rags did nothing to suggest they deserved the two points more than we did except score a soft goal.

Edited by devlman

I hate losing to those self-important pieces of crap, but does anyone really think we can't play with that team and beat them in a playoff series? Sometimes the bounces go your way and, other times they don't. Last night, we got unlucky with the post shots, missed open nets by Elias and Henrique, and a few bad bounces that took away scoring chances. The 2 games we played them before that, we got the breaks and won. That alone goes to show you how evenly matched these 2 teams are.

For me, our 4 games against the Rangers this season has showed that, if they are the best team in the East, we aren't really that far behind and can take them out if we meet in the playoffs. Time to move on and focus on beating the Bruins for the first time this year.

Considering we have two goals against Lundqvist in three games, no I don't think we've shown we can hang with them in the playoffs. Lose tight games, sure but I'm not convinced it'll be any different than '08.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Not true at all. The Rags did nothing to suggest they deserved the two points more than we did except score a soft goal.

The Rangers controlled play and did it their way. They dictated and the Devils reacted. It never felt like the Devils were ever able to impose their will on that game. Like I said, it felt worse than 1-0, which is a testament to how the Rangers controlled the game.

The Rangers controlled play and did it their way. They dictated and the Devils reacted. It never felt like the Devils were ever able to impose their will on that game. Like I said, it felt worse than 1-0, which is a testament to how the Rangers controlled the game.

I might say this had the Rangers dominated this game, but they didn't. While I also felt like it was worse than 1-0, it wasn't. And while you can say 'Oh, I knew they weren't going to score', nobody knew that, the Devils got some chances and didn't capitalize.

The Rangers played very well defensively, but they did not have the Devils on their heels, so I'm not going to pretend that they controlled play.

Edited by Triumph

Considering we have two goals against Lundqvist in three games, no I don't think we've shown we can hang with them in the playoffs. Lose tight games, sure but I'm not convinced it'll be any different than '08.

I'm definitely not in the doom-and-gloom camp, but I do feel that the Rangers would be a terrible matchup for the Devils come playoff time. I think the Rangers would take the series 4-1, with the Devils scoring something like 7 goals for the series...even before Game 1 they'll be gripping their sticks too tight. But at least that probably won't be a first-round matchup. Worry about crossing that bridge if the Devils get to it.

I might say this had the Rangers dominated this game, but they didn't. While I also felt like it was worse than 1-0, it wasn't. And while you can say 'Oh, I knew they weren't going to score', nobody knew that, the Devils got some chances and didn't capitalize.

The Rangers played very well defensively, but they did not have the Devils on their heels, so I'm not going to pretend that they controlled play.

I think they did dominate, though not in the conventional way. For me, it felt like they weren't going to score, but I hadn't given up on them tying the game until there were about 3 mins left in the 3rd period...up until then there was a small part of me that thought, somehow, a bounce was going to go their way.

Disagree, I guess you could say the same for the game three weeks ago when we won 1-0. We had many more quality chances, but couldnt hit an empty net. Clarkson was a fvcking moron last night, but the refs were being a bit unfair. The Rupp/Clarkson coincidental minors were a joke at best. How do you expect a guy to react when a goon is hooking at your skate causing you to almost slip (although thats not saying much with Clarkson's balance)? Seriously, it was almost amusing how Pierre was gargling McDonuts' nuts the whole game. On the replays they showed of the 1 on 1 battles with Parise and Kovy, half of the plays were blatant interferences or holds that werent called. Even Pierre was talking about how the Rags dmen were taking some liberties on our forwards. Frustrating loss, but we'll be back.

I think they did dominate, though not in the conventional way. For me, it felt like they weren't going to score, but I hadn't given up on them tying the game until there were about 3 mins left in the 3rd period...up until then there was a small part of me that thought, somehow, a bounce was going to go their way.

But it might've gone their way anyway. You and I had the same feeling, but that doesn't mean it was an accurate portrayal of how the game actually was.

Dominating play is not sitting back and defending a lead for most of the game. They sure as heck didnt dictate the play either. We outchanced them, and probably had more offensive zone time. 1-0 did feel a lot worse but thats because the game was so tight and the Rags played solid D...but we had chances to tie it. Thats hardly being dominated or outplayed.

Edited by devlman

But it might've gone their way anyway. You and I had the same feeling, but that doesn't mean it was an accurate portrayal of how the game actually was.

I don't really feel like my take is off on this one...I'm listening to what you and others are saying about this, but I just can't agree.

The Devils have two games left with the Rangers...there's a tendency to make too much out of regular-season matchups, but I'd be thrilled with a split of those final two games, where the Devils play like they have more of a say in the outcome...that's what bugged me about this game...it just felt like the Devils never had much of a say in this one, even with the close score, and some of the reffing.

Dominating play is not sitting back and defending a lead for most of the game. They sure as heck didnt dictate the play either. We outchanced them, and probably had more offensive zone time. 1-0 did feel a lot worse but thats because the game was so tight and the Rags played solid D...but we had chances to tie it. Thats hardly being dominated or outplayed.

Which is why I said they didn't dominate in the conventional (read: pretty) way.

They haven't fared too much better against Brodeur this season (especially in the 2nd half of the season since Brodeur has started to play better). Their offense scares no one and, amazingly, their power play and penalty kill are worse than ours. Add to that the fact that they are fully healthy, and we are still missing Zajac, and I beg to differ. Would it surprise me if the 2 teams met in the playoffs and either team won the series? No. My point is, we are more evenly matched than some people give us credit for.

I agree. The Devils were not dominated last night. Henrique absolutely should have tied it with 4 mins left. How he missed that chance, and put the puck out of play from less than 5 feet in front of the goal is beyond me. The Queen clearly gets in these guys heads, and they feel they must make the perfect play to score on him (as evidenced by the numerous times we passed into traffic when a shot should have been taken last night). Just shoot the f'in puck and crash the net for rebounds. If you run his Michelin Man ass over, so be it. Their PP sucks, and we are better on the PK than at even strength anyway.

I hate losing to those self-important pieces of crap, but does anyone really think we can't play with that team and beat them in a playoff series?

I think I'd go into a deep depression if we had to face them in the playoffs. Do you remember how Jagr looked in interviews when we swept them a few years back? That's how I'll look.

They are far and away the last team I want to face in a 7 game series in the NHL, even more so than the Flyers.

Edited by Amberite

we certainly had our scoring chances and opportunities.. against lundquist thats almost all we can ask for. of course a lot of you are blaming the refs AGAIN but they new that in a game like this there would be a lot of intensity and they would let them play. Clarkson really was all over the place. We better bring it tomorrow against Boston or we are looking at some trouble in the standings for sure

Rangers won this game like vintage Devils teams did in the past. Defense and goaltending.

The Rangers are certainly amongst the top SC contenders. But as with those Devils teams they're just as likely to flame-out in the 1st or 2nd round when their offense totally dries up and their anemic power play is completely exposed.

Eh. They scored 1 goal minus the EN, against the Devils. Sorry..the Devils aren't that sweet. Yea the team put together a nice run but we all knew it wasn't going to continue. I don't think a team that scores 1 goal against teams like the Devils and Sabers is going to win the SC sorry.

Have you seen the teams in the West? The Rangers aren't beating Pittsburg either.

maybe some losses could do this team some good. even when winning kovy wasnt alive. moving forward....

the more i see him play the more i think is zach parise worth 7M a year? i want him here long term but he isn't some power forward or sniper. he works hard but..

:evil: lets go devils thursday and friday

Yea, probably not. He can put in 110% every night and he wouldn't be worth that much. I love the guy and want him to say but he's no Malkin.

If it's any small consolation we're 2-2 against the Rags this season. We still have a shot at winning the season series.

I'd feel better about that if they were 2-2 and Lundqvist had started all 4 games. But they're 1-2 with 2 GF in the three games Lundqvist started (he's allowed 10 goals in his last 9 starts against them). In other words, as far as Henrik is concerned, same old same old. It's actually amazing the Devils have gone 3-6 in those games (two of the wins came 1-0).

Yea, probably not. He can put in 110% every night and he wouldn't be worth that much. I love the guy and want him to say but he's no Malkin.

Honestly if parise wants to test the market i wonder if he is expecting huge offers. the contract he gets whether its here or some where else will be interesting.

I'd feel better about that if they were 2-2 and Lundqvist had started all 4 games. But they're 1-2 with 2 GF in the three games Lundqvist started (he's allowed 10 goals in his last 9 starts against them). In other words, as far as Henrik is concerned, same old same old. It's actually amazing the Devils have gone 3-6 in those games (two of the wins came 1-0).

I'm sure this is the expected course of things and not just an enormous string of luck.

I'm sure this is the expected course of things and not just an enormous string of luck.

Of course you never really expect that low an output against any given goaltender, but his career numbers against the Devils are pretty impressive, to say the least. And whatever individual fans want to attribute his success to, be it luck, pad size, him getting inside the Devils' heads, whatever, the fact is that, save for a few starts or so, the Devils have a hard time putting pucks past this guy...and it seems to be getting worse.

Of course you never really expect that low an output against any given goaltender, but his career numbers against the Devils are pretty impressive, to say the least. And whatever individual fans want to attribute his success to, be it luck, pad size, him getting inside the Devils' heads, whatever, the fact is that, save for a few starts or so, the Devils have a hard time putting pucks past this guy...and it seems to be getting worse.

I think the Rags look at the powerpoint of Devils/Rangers history whenever they play us and get up for the game. Beating the Devils seems more important for the than beating the Rags is to the Devils players.

The Rangers did dominate play in that the game started with the Devils controlling the tempo, but they got gassed quickly. The Rangers held steady and chipped away slowly. It was almost like a rope a dope.