Official 2009 New York Mets Offseason Thread

Prucenterrules

I don't see Omar going down without a fight.. He'll do everything he can to prove to the owners that he tried his best this season and shouldn't be fired, which will just f*** us up even more for the future..

well he has said that he wont mortgage the future this deadline and that any moves will depend on where the mets sit in the standings, but i wont believe until i see it..

the thing the mets really need to stay away from is getting a rental player, even if he will bring back draft picks next year if he leaves via free agency, he wont be worth giving up prospects like brad holt or jenrry mejia for (or others like fmart, niese, ike davis).. i heard the indians wanted parnell AND holt for mark derosa [who is a rental player], that would have been a disaster deal for the mets, at least omar wasn't dumb enough to pull the trigger on that one.

So what are your predictions on ticket prices for next season? I bet if the Mets even came close to a playoff bid they'd raise prices.. Hard to believe the price will go down either (maybe down for season tickets and up for singles?).. In any event, even the Wilpon's know they have no business charging insane prices for bad baseball

i dunno about the prices, but at least the mets are making more a ton more $$$$ this year with the Citi naming rights and stuff.. so they shouldn't worry about adding on payroll next off-season.

edit: hmm..

Matt Holliday this year - 86 games, .277/.371/.428, 9 HR, 45 RBI

Gary Sheffield this year - 74 games, .284/.387/.476, 10 HR, 36 RBI

the A's GM Billy Beane is looking for a big package for Holliday, and teams dont like his asking price.. Beane has also came out and said he might just hang onto Holliday and get the compensation draft picks when he leaves next offseason.. Gary Sheffield is quietly having a better year offensively. If teams continue to just kick the tires on Holliday, Sheffield is going to be a much better value pickup for a contending team looking for a DH or OF. And his salary is league minimum so thats another little added bonus...

if the mets remain where they are now by the deadline, trading sheffield is a must. he should get a good amount of interest, especially AL teams looking for a DH or a guy who can play some time in the OF.

Edited by nmigliore

maybe its just me, but i dont remember pelfrey ever having problems of 'just losing it' last year... this year its like every start there is an inning or 2 in which he gets ticked off and starts getting erratic (not Ollie-erratic, but erratic enough) and needs to be calmed down and talked to..

meh, francoeur swings and pops up first pitch... did he REALLY think he was getting a first pitch fastball? if only we could put murphy's plate approach with francoeur's bat..

btw, philly is up 4-1.. make it 8.5 games out if the mets lose tonight.. ouch. but i dont mind since that will push minaya into being a seller at the deadline where he could get a decent prospect in return for sheffield

Edited by nmigliore

With the way the Mets have been cursed over the past couple of seasons, I'd be very worried about Sheffield getting injured before the deadline and us not being able to get anything for him.

It wouldn't take much imagination to picture that, he's 40 on a bad knee. Sadly he's about the only guy you could trade for any value. I would have thought maybe Cora and Livan a couple weeks ago but both have been awful and odds are Cora's going to have to have surgery sooner or later. Perhaps a guy like Misch pitches well long enough where you could get something for him but that's really stretching it.

And I'm really annoyed at Pelf right now. Even when he was getting beat around at the start of his career and only had one pitch he at least showed fight. He's gone through too many innings and starts this year where he hasn't competed.

Edited by Hasan4978

With the way the Mets have been cursed over the past couple of seasons, I'd be very worried about Sheffield getting injured before the deadline and us not being able to get anything for him.

It wouldn't take much imagination to picture that, he's 40 on a bad knee. Sadly he's about the only guy you could trade for any value. I would have thought maybe Cora and Livan a couple weeks ago but both have been awful and odds are Cora's going to have to have surgery sooner or later. Perhaps a guy like Misch pitches well long enough where you could get something for him but that's really stretching it.

yeah livan isn't going to bring anything anymore with the way hes pitched recently.. cora could be traded but wont bring back anything really.. tatis would be a solid pickup for a team looking for some bench help.. sheffield would bring in the most value considering his salary is next to nothing and would be an excellent alternative for a team thats not planning to give up a ton for matt holliday... mark derosa has put up numbers that are similar to what sheffield has put up and he netted the indians a pretty good pickup in chris perez (basically he was the cardinals' bobby parnell).. the one thing derosa has over sheffield is he could play so many different positions and is a better defender.

edit: well scrap that, there goes sheffield! this team is just flat out cursed..

And I'm really annoyed at Pelf right now. Even when he was getting beat around at the start of his career and only had one pitch he at least showed fight. He's gone through too many innings and starts this year where he hasn't competed.

i noticed him getting angry more often, especially on little things like losing a batter he got ahead of.. or even just a batter stepping out of the box to call timeout.. so many things are flustering him this year.

Edited by nmigliore

yea, god really hates the Mets and is now firing lightning bolts once labeled for Boston at us.

We need a total franchise overhaul. Starting with Omar right down to Ray Ramirez.

A good caller on the fan today brought up the pattern with these Mets injuries. Somebody gets hurt, they play through it. Then they sit for a couple of days but still continue to press on and work out, then they come back for a few days...then they have surgery and are out for months.

What kind of medical operation are they running here?

so with sheffield DL-bound, i wonder who the mets will call-up... im gonna say nick evans gets the call-up since he could play some LF as well as split time with Murphy at 1B. Jerry will probably use Tatis-Pagan/Reed-Francoeur as his outfield with Evans getting some time in LF.

this is really disappointing though... i mean if there was ONE fvcking guy the mets could get SOME value for it was sheffield.. and of all people he goes down (i know hes old/playing the OF everyday etc but still).. only the mets.

edit, update from kevin burkhardt: "Good news - just cramps for Sheff"

Edited by nmigliore

Who knew he was pregnant..

But seriously.. this season is an outright bust.. The team is a joke.. Not like my Rays are doing well either but I suspect it will take a while for them to get hot again.. I'm just going to pretend this season was a lockout and never happened

Who knew he was pregnant..

But seriously.. this season is an outright bust.. The team is a joke.. Not like my Rays are doing well either but I suspect it will take a while for them to get hot again.. I'm just going to pretend this season was a lockout and never happened

its hard to complain with the injuries though.. i mean they were mishandled, no question, but you cant really expect to have a good season when you miss such good hitters like reyes, beltran, and delgado.. and even the pitchers - perez has been lost all year, maine can never stay healthy (im starting to think maine might actually be better off in the bullpen where he has a better shot at being healthy), pelfrey has underperformed.. putz was the huge upgrade to the bullpen but hes been bad and hurt.

there isn't much for this team to do for the rest of this year.. their only realistic options are trading tatis and sheffield for whatever they can get.. hopefully everybody gets back healthy and ready for next year.. hopefully we finish with a top 15 pick so that enables the mets to go out and get a type-a free agent (if they chose to do) without forfeiting that 1st round pick.. and hopefully they can get as much draft pick compensation as they can from wagner, putz, delgado, and even schneider (right now hes a type-b)..

Edited by nmigliore

some news..

"..the Daily News has learned that Tim Redding is imminently in danger of being released, while Julio Lugo already is working out at the Mets complex in the Dominican Republic."

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/mets/2009/07/braves-11-mets-0-redding-out-l.html

im not exactly sure why the mets are interested in lugo.. he has an awful contract (even if boston ate up most of his salary i dont want him).. i mean hes better than cora and berroa, but, is he really worth trading for? again its not like the mets are going anywhere this year.. he could still be released, but even then i really dont see whats the point of picking him up..

edit: actually he could serve as next year's backup infielder so maybe it wouldn't all be that bad. but thats only if the sox release (not trade) him and the mets pick him up

Edited by nmigliore

sometimes i dont understand this team... K-Rod was used for like, what, 3 or 4 4-out saves in the WBC? Why isn't Jerry using him here? Why no 4 out save in the SEASON? Ah yeah Im sure Brian Stokes is a better option.. good call Jerry.

well jerry got lucky on that one... somehow stokes came back and blew norton away with 2 fastballs..

btw Jon Niese continues to push for a rotation spot... today for AAA Buffalo (game was shortened to 7 innings b/c they are playing a double header tonight): 7 IP, 2 hits, 0 runs, 2 BB/2 K .. 15-4 groundouts to flyouts .. 87 pitches only. at this point he is just toying with these AAA hitters.. its TIME to bring him up.

Edited by nmigliore

sometimes i dont understand this team... K-Rod was used for like, what, 3 or 4 4-out saves in the WBC? Why isn't Jerry using him here? Why no 4 out save in the SEASON? Ah yeah Im sure Brian Stokes is a better option.. good call Jerry.

well jerry got lucky on that one... somehow stokes came back and blew norton away with 2 fastballs..

btw Jon Niese continues to push for a rotation spot... today for AAA Buffalo (game was shortened to 7 innings b/c they are playing a double header tonight): 7 IP, 2 hits, 0 runs, 2 BB/2 K .. 15-4 groundouts to flyouts .. 87 pitches only. at this point he is just toying with these AAA hitters.. its TIME to bring him up.

Couldn't hurt.

I have to admit Jerry's initial honesty then record-speed backpedaling on the Sheffield situation made me laugh:

Manuel poked fun at the team's beleaguered medical staff when asked about Gary Sheffield's status after Sheffield left the game in the fifth inning with a cramp in his right hamstring. "They're calling it cramps . . . surgery on Thursday," Manuel said before erupting in laughter.

Realizing that team-owned SNY was filming the remark, Manuel quickly added: "I couldn't resist. Sorry, doctors."

And yeah, between the rest of the non-Santana rotation blowing up and Niese graduating AAA it's time to see him in the second half.

Edited by Hasan4978

I have to admit Jerry's initial honesty then record-speed backpedaling on the Sheffield situation made me laugh:

Manuel poked fun at the team's beleaguered medical staff when asked about Gary Sheffield's status after Sheffield left the game in the fifth inning with a cramp in his right hamstring. "They're calling it cramps . . . surgery on Thursday," Manuel said before erupting in laughter.

Realizing that team-owned SNY was filming the remark, Manuel quickly added: "I couldn't resist. Sorry, doctors."

And yeah, between the rest of the non-Santana rotation blowing up and Niese graduating AAA it's time to see him in the second half.

Manuel's comment was pretty funny.

looks like Jon Niese will get that call-up he deserves... Nieve looks likes hes dieing.

pretty ironic now that Redding is in the game and is basically pitching for his job.. if he does bad tonight he probably will for sure be cut when Julio Lugo is officially released..

I dont like to see players get hurt, but I am happy Niese will finally get the callup hes been so deserving of the past 2 months.

Edited by nmigliore

looks like Jon Niese will get that call-up he deserves... Nieve looks likes hes dieing.

pretty ironic now that Redding is in the game and is basically pitching for his job.. if he does bad tonight he probably will for sure be cut when Julio Lugo is officially released..

I dont like to see players get hurt, but I am happy Niese will finally get the callup hes been so deserving of the past 2 months.

How long will Niese last before he gets hurt. I mean it's bound to happen.

Enough with Redding. This guy simply isn't a major-leaguer...not on a good team, anyway (though the Mets are from from that).

Yeah, as far as being a fan goes, watching guys like Niese get major-league experience is all we have left. Even if it's not pretty initially, at least they get their feet wet. The Mets will win games here and there, because even the worst major-league teams find a way to do that, but this team is unfathomably unwatchable. And Heaven forbid Jerry actually makes a crack at the medical staff's expense. But that's the Wilpons for you...no, let's not solve the problem, let's just make sure no one mentions it. With each passing season, as long as those useless incompetent pieces of sh!t own the team, and continue to put their faith in used-car salesmen like Omar Minaya, I'm more and more convinced that the only way the Mets will win another championship is by complete accident.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I'm going to a Mets game this week and want to try a new place to sit, any suggestions?

Pepsi Porch was nice .. in left-center field are great too .. my most recent seats were vs LA Dodgers the other week, I had seats on the 1st base line but in the higher level, but they were pretty good because you could see the pitches better than you can in left-center or in the pepsi porch.

i still want to get those seats right down the RF line/near the Mo's zone but they are always sold out it seems.

Edited by nmigliore

- Nieve has been placed on the DL, OF Cory Sullivan was called up from AAA-Buffalo .. so basically, when Nieve's turn in the rotation comes, the Mets will either send down Sullivan or cut Redding and replace one of them with Jon Niese.

Lineup:

Pagan, cf

Castillo, 2b

Murphy, 1b

Wright, 3b

Francoeur, rf

Reed, lf

Cora, ss

Schneider, c

Hernandez, rhp

..fwiw: Sullivan was hitting .290/.352/.367 with 2 HR, 24 RBI and has shown solid plate discipline drawing 29 BB to 30 K's in 85 games for AAA-Buffalo

and dont expect jerry or omar to be fired after this season: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/baseball/mlb/07/20/minaya.manuel/index.html

Edited by nmigliore