Seattle Group Attempting to Build New Arena

thefiestygoat

An important development in the Sacramento Kings saga that leaves the possibility that they may move to Seattle. Remember that the people behind the Seattle arena want a NBA team committed to moving there before they get a NHL team.

http://www.king5.com/news/arena/Maloofs-reiterate-concerns-about-Sacramento-arena-plan-145847205.html

The owners of Sacramento's NBA franchise sent another warning Monday that they will not sign off on a deal to build a new arena complex if they are expected to cover some of the project costs.

The Maloof family, which owns the Sacramento Kings, say they agreed to a deal to become a tenant in the new arena, which would be owned by the city and managed by a third part.

"Pre-development costs are not the responsibility of the tenant. Further as a tenant, we should not be responsible to reimburse the operator for the development if the project never materializes," said Maloof family attorney Eric Rose in a statement released Monday.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...

Move the Blue Jackets to Cleveland and change their name to something not terrible!

Ahem it would be cool to see hockey expand to a new market, and Seattle is as good a place as any. Not the best weather while I was stationed there, though. 40 degrees in july and rain everyday. Indoor game though, so not that big a deal.

Move the Blue Jackets to Cleveland and change their name to something not terrible!

Ahem it would be cool to see hockey expand to a new market, and Seattle is as good a place as any. Not the best weather while I was stationed there, though. 40 degrees in july and rain everyday. Indoor game though, so not that big a deal.

That is odd. I lived in Seattle for almost a decade. Yes, it rains a buttload in the late fall/all winter but the summers were the best Ive ever experienced. It doesnt get disgusting hot, but it definitely got into the low 80s with far more sunny days in the summer than rainy. I can't recall it ever being as low as 40 in July. If it did, it had to have been an anomaly. The coolest July Ive ever experienced was in Scotland when it was 50 something on July 4th.

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.king5.com/news/arena/Councils-could-finalize-Seattle-sports-arena-deal-on-Oct-15-173211591.html

It appears the Seattle arena project has a date for final votes of approval from the city and county councils -- Monday, October 15.

King County Councilmember Joe McDermott and Seattle City Councilmember Tim Burgess both said late Monday that they have agreed on minor language changes to the arena project legislation and hope to have a “dual vote” of the councils next Monday.

Funny how existing teams face so much opposition from the city when they want a taxpayer funded arena or stadium to be built but the minute the team leaves, the city is desperate to get one built at any cost.

Not saying either side is right as there are equally as many pros as there are cons to building a stadium with taxpayer money but it always interested me in the politics that goes into these things and the mindset of the politicians and public.

• 3 months later...

For some reason I've been following this story but here is finally some HUGE news. While this is NBA related it has an impact on the the potential of the NHL to go to Seattle:

@ChrisDaniels5

"BREAKING: Source tells me deal on Kings-to-#Seattle to be announced soon, perhaps as early as Monday/Tuesday. #NBA"

"BREAKING: Any #Kings-to-Seattle deal would be subject to approval by the NBA Board of Governors."

"I cannot confirm the #'s yet, but if it's $525M for 65%, that's going to be hard for Sacramento to match."

"If # is $525M, + $300M more for #SeattleArena, we're talking $800-850 in private investment by Hansen/Ballmer. Unprecedented for #Seattle."

@ESPNSteinLine

"Just going online now: Maloofs have struck deal to sell 65 percent of Kings to Chris Hansen group in Seattle for $525 million, sources say"

"Kings deal to Seattle group still requires formal NBA ratification but Hansen group intends to file for relocation by March 1 if approved"

Wild stuff, I always feel bad at this sort of stuff as I remeber the stress of thinking the devils would be moved and just feeling horrible when the Nets were sold to someone that was going to move them. I would love to have an NBA team in our arena and maybe our own NJ network but it does kind of suck to feel like it comes at the expense of others.

I feel bad for Kings fans, but considering the way Seattle got screwed out of their team, I'm happy about this.

http://sonicsgate.com/

and it's not like that Kings team's been there forever either. They haven't been there for even 30 years whereas the Sonics were and had more history and had ONLY been in Seattle. The kings have been in rochester, Cincinnati, KC and Omaha. Only problem is they're not likely to get another team since I can't imagine rich people dying to put a team in Sacramento of all places

Sacramento is a hole. Ive only been there a few times, but I can't see why anyone would go there other than it being the capital.

The Sonics never should've left Seattle, but Key Arena is a dire pit.

I worked there when the Sonics were good in the late 90s. And if you thought Brendan Byrne/Whatever was bad near the end, it was never as bad as Key got. Its a very antequated building.

I really wish they could put this arena in Seattle Center like Key is, but it's probably better served in SoDo. I hope to move back to WA someday, so I'm really excited about the potential for NHL hockey there. That was the only thing missing.

MBPIX_07HMP0NW.JPG

It looks like they will get a NHL team too. :doh1:

Whether it's from Phoenix (Jamison has no money) or not, it's going to happen. NHL's dead set on getting expansion fees probably from Hamilton/Quebec City and now Seattle too. Pretty safe bet we're going to 32 teams

edit: your image isn't working btw

Edited by DH26

I won't be shocked if it happens but I hate the idea of a 32 team league. The talent pool is diluted enough as it is.

I agree about dilution, but If they are intent on going to that four conference system, I would rather have 32 teams and have 4 conf's of 8, rather then that weird 8,8,7,7 setup they were floating. Ideally they would contract two teams but we all know that wont happen, so this might not be a terrible result.

Also, put me in for the "great for Seattle" camp. It's a wonderful city with a lot of hockey fans thanks to the WHL and I believe a team will flourish there. Unfortunate for the Kings though, always feel bad for the base a franchise leaves behind.

Edited by squishyx

I agree about dilution, but If they are intent on going to that four conference system, I would rather have 32 teams and have 4 conf's of 8, rather then that weird 8,8,7,7 setup they were floating. Ideally they would contract two teams but we all know that wont happen, so this might not be a terrible result.

I'm curious to see what people think are the 2 cities most likely to get an expansion team. With new arenas going up over the next few years in Seattle and Quebec, they'd be my top 2 favorites to get teams.

I'm curious to see what people think are the 2 cities most likely to get an expansion team. With new arenas going up over the next few years in Seattle and Quebec, they'd be my top 2 favorites to get teams.

Idk how well Hockey would do in Kansas City but I would throw them into the mix. They can call themselves the KC Googlers :D

But yeah, Seattle and QC would be my top two, I think both cities would do exceptionally well and I am sure Canadian fans would be thrilled at adding an 8th team.

Its all but assured Seattle will be getting an NHL team once this arena is completed. Part of the deal for the new arena was the NHL coming in. They'd have had one back when they added San Jose when that expansion occurred, but the arena has always been the issue.

I'm really excited for the potential there and the Seattle team almost assuredly becomes my 2nd favorite team. Love Seattle sports. Even the dopey Mariners haha.

• 3 months later...

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9225104/nba-owners-committee-recommends-sacramento-kings-stay-put

The NBA owners committee has voted to keep the Kings in Sacramento, forcing the Maloofs to take the lesser offer from the local group that Mayor Kevin Johnson helped frantically put together. The Maloofs will still get to keep the $30M negotiating fee from Chris Hansen and Steve Ballmer. Huge loss for Seattle for a number of reasons. They will still remain without their beloved Sonics and they won't be in the running to try and grab the Coyotes. Big victory for Sacramento and Quebec today. I imagine the only relocation option for the Coyotes now is Quebec.

Expansion isn't on the table for the NBA and Seattle would need a NBA team in order to get a NHL one. So the idea of Seattle joining the NHL seems gone...at least for a few years or so. On another note, people in Seattle must hate David Stern even more today (if that is possible).