Brodeur would be the Canadiens backup.

mfitz804

The man cant say anything without someone making a big deal out of it apparently.. there were a list of teams he claimed he would have been fine going to.. big deal someone asked him about the canadiens he gave a simple answer and someone made an article over it for some attention.

good riddance already

"This is Carey Price's team," Brodeur said. "I would definitely still want to be the No. 1 goalie, but it wouldn't bother me to play in only 20 to 25 games during the season if I know I'll have fun playing within a winning team."

Talking out of both sides of his mouth again. I want to be the #1...but would be fine with being a high workload backup? WHICH IS IT? Because you're lying about one of these things. So he didn't answer truthfully, he answered coyly. Also Montreal has a backup already and a 3rd stringer (who is probably better than Brodeur AND Budaj) but of course Marty doesn't care about their jobs as he pretty much outwardly asks Montreal to make him an offer and muscle in on a team that's very much set at goalie.

Yea Montreal. Please go ahead and take on this massive headache. I dare ya.

Edited by '7'

So he can't want one thing but be willing to settle for something else?

that's the thing. He doesn't settle for something else. Why would montreal want a terrible 42 year old goalie who's going to snipe in the media about wanting to play more than the goalie that's better than him? Did he settle here? 

They screwed up here by thinking he still was starting quality. I feel like last season was a huge string-along with both of the goalies. If he's told the best we (whoever) can do is a backup role, and he's willing to settle for that, that it won't be the same issue as it was last year. Last year neither goalie was told "you're the starter, you're the backup," whether it should have been apparent or not. I can't blame him for wanting to play more if his role wasn't defined.

Marty doesn't care about their jobs, he pretty much outwardly asks Montreal to make him an offer and muscle in on a team that's very much set at goalie.

Yea Montreal. Please go ahead and take on this massive headache. I dare ya.

1326409890277_1386738_zpsbf6490ea.png

..hit the nail-on-the-head 7. Marty is a MASTER when it comes to the media. An absolute master. He knows exactly what to say and how to answer questions, so his quotes will regurgitate onto tsn, twitter, etc.

What you're seeing now is reality smacking Marty in the head that he overplayed his hand. Summer came and gone, and no one worthy sniffed. Now that October's next month, you'll see more and more of his **LOOK AT ME** quotes trickle through.

It's funny how he's seemingly dropped his request of it being a "competitive team" --and is now only focused on: "playing 20 games and having fun". By the time the season rolls around all he'll be seeking is to be signed anywhere, and have fun. Sad it's come to this.. really sad.

I forgot about this whole fiasco until right now.  I am so happy we don't have to deal with this **** anymore....let alone in season while in a playoff race.  Does he not realize why nobody wants him anymore? A) he sucks B) his mouth is the size of the grand canyon C) he is the most entitled player in sports

He's just trying to find something reasonable because he is not ready to hang it up. We have all been there or will be in the future.

Best wishes to him.

reasonable is subjective.  Based on his previous statements through various interviews, he went from being pretty unreasonable early on this summer to now being a little more reasonable now that he is finally seeing that that what he has in mind and what the market thinks he is worth.  He is probably getting desperate now and really it is up to Lou to not give in if and when Brodeur calls begging just to be signed to anything.  We really don't need the distraction this season.

This is more lose-lose crap. The guy could decide to play for a beer league and people would say he's stealing some young guy's spot. 

"Hey Marty, would you play for Montreal?"  "Yes"  HEADLINE: BRODEUR WOULD PLAY FOR CANADIENS!!!

"Hey Mary, would you play for Montreal?" "No" HEADLINE: BRODEUR REFUSES TO PLAY FOR CANADIENS!!!!

• Like 1

Lol, what are you talking about? Does Brodeur give a yes or no answer and just drop the issue? He's the one stirring up sh!t again, already saying he wants to be the starter (on a team he doesnt even play on yet) then he says he would be ok being a backup for 20-25 games...because apparently he can now dictate how many games he can start as a backup. Do you think the Habs are so insane as to start Brodeur 25 games? He is a terrible goalie and has no right dictating terms to anyone anywhere.

Lol, what are you talking about? Does Brodeur give a yes or no answer and just drop the issue? He's the one stirring up sh!t again, already saying he wants to be the starter (on a team he doesnt even play on yet) then he says he would be ok being a backup for 20-25 games...because apparently he can now dictate how many games he can start as a backup. Do you think the Habs are so insane as to start Brodeur 25 games? He is a terrible goalie and has no right dictating terms to anyone anywhere.

"If the Canadiens made me an offer, it goes without saying that I would listen to what they have to offer me,"

That's essentially a yes or no answer. 

"This is Carey Price's team," Brodeur said. "I would definitely still want to be the No. 1 goalie, but it wouldn't bother me to play in only 20 to 25 games during the season if I know I'll have fun playing within a winning team."

Thats him saying this is Price's team.   Then, separate thought, he'd prefer to be a number 1 on any team but he'll take 20-25 if it's a winning team. He's answering a hypothetical question. Price had 59 games last year. If, hypothetically, they signed Brodeur, he could be in line for 20 - 25 games. Stating a preference is not dictating. If I say I would like 100 dollars, I'm not demanding it. I'm saying I'd prefer it. There's none of this evil and malice that you pull out of every quote.