NFL Championship Sunday (and post-season awards too)

CRASHER

Yes I’m still alive out there….hockey…work….still in mourning about the Seahawks (I do need to get me a Richard Sherman jersey this summer and start wearing that to football on Sundays….well unless of course Jerry Jones dies before Labor Day mind you…)….three games to go and the last “true” football Sunday is today (please the Super Bowl itself is bigger and more overblown pile of Sportz Entertainmentz then any pile of crap Vince McManon puts out there)….it’s amazing how the more time I set aside for this the less I have at the end…..

NFC Championship:

49ers at Atlanta:

We know by now how they all got here, funny that with the league trend being a “hot team steamrolling the playoff” being the NFL ….and this year three of the four teams left had a bye and all four teams were division winners….

The Falcons have the superior wide receivers and TE (Gonzalez has outplayed Davis this year no doubt)….and the Mike Nolan found a way to slow down the Seattle offense just enough (at least for a half) to let the offense do what it does, long passing, stretching the field and a token running game (though Michael Turner DID wake up last week), Matt Ryan also finally came to play for the post-season…and the fact that NO ONE takes this team seriously makes them a dangerous underdog (this team does have a habit of jobbing to the Super Bowl winner)

The 49ers come in with everything on a roll…..exposing the Packers as a one man show on offense and defense, Colin Kapernick is still running batsh!t on cheese-heads and Discount Double Checks, Michael Crabtree has come into his own with Kapernick, the running game is a mutil-headed monster and the 49er defense is there too, and I would hope they play the Falcons passing weapons better then Seattle did *sigh*….

I get the feeling Atlanta is gonna be kinda happy to be here, while getting back and beyond this game today was the SOLE focus of the 49ers this year….a little extra hunger, better coaching staff….and there you have it…

Winner and NFC Champion: 49ers

AFC Championship:

Baltimore at New England:

The Ravens are sure that pesky little pain in the ass team that won’t go away….aging defense, trying for one last run….miracle offense with long ball potential with Torrey Smith and Jacoby Jones….the steady underneath guy in Boldin….Ray Rice and Bernard Pierce giving the rushing game and dump-off options….the Ravens are slowly making the move to an offense first team as well…..not to mention these two teams were here last year….and now Billy Cundiff is sitting at home trying to kick his remote through the TV and missing wide….

The Patriots are a different team this year though, balance in the running game (they can’t keep any tight ends healthy)….better WR play from Brandon Lloyd then Chad 85, and an improving defense (mostly since Talib came over)….and the Evil Empire run by Darth Hoodie and Emperor Brady….experience, coaching and home field….that’s a lot to get past…even with the Ray Lewis retirement party looming….

The best thing you can say for the Ravens here is my awful record in the playoffs this year, but the weather and the wind will factor too….Flacco should be able to gun through those winds, and the Pats won’t gift the long bombs that Denver did last week….and Tom Brady is no Peyton Manning in the playoffs either….plus I admit I’m trolling for the Patriots now just to annoy Jet Fans :D

Winner and NFC Champion: Patriots

2012 Rookie of the Year:

Russell Wilson (was there any doubt?)….yes RG III and Luck were great this year too, but as the top two players in the league it was EXPECTED of them….you can also make a case that fellow rookie, Alfred Morris, was just as important in DC (and Kirk Cousins was just as effective when he had to fill in for Griffin also), but to quote Clerks…Wilson “wasn’t even supposed to be here!”, first drafted in obscurity, then having to beat out Free Agent Gem (or backup extraordinaire) Matt Flynn…no problem….come in and learn the offense….no problem, 3100 yards, 26 TD and only 10 INT and 500 more yards rushing…and not to mention he lead his team to more wins in a better division, and all the other pretty stuff I’ve been saying about Wilson in the last two months….

Runners Up: Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III, Alfred Morris

2012 Coach of the Year:

Jim Harbaugh (SF)…yeah this team was there last year (though that too was his doing), he’s totally transformed this team and lead it to it’s second NFC Title Game in a row and not only that, he had the guts to stick with Colin Kapernick when Alex Smith went down (you know that guy wearing #11 in the 49ers Visa commercial)…he’s the perfect guy doing the almost perfect job with the team in front of him…

You could make the case of making it for the Pagano/Arians combination, but I just can’t split the award between the two….doesn’t seem right (and I’m a heartless bastard anyway remember, so take your cancer story and shove it, it also annoyed me when Arians magically got sick before their playoff game)….Pete Carroll is also doing an awesome job transforming the culture in Seattle….and yeah you can give me the normal guys of John Fox and Belichek too….or even Harbaugh’s lil brother….but none of them did what Jim Harbaugh did this year…..you might also throw Leslie Frazier in the mix, but it doesn’t take a coach of the year to figure out “hey hand the ball to 28” :P

Runners Up: John Harbaugh (anyone who can coach that awful Flacco after all), John Fox, Pete Carroll, Mike Shanahan

2012 Defensive Player of the Year:

JJ Watt (Houston)….hey anyone who can make something the league frowns upon (you know, playing defense) seem cool….he’s gotta be the easy pick here, not only that he made swatting passes cool……20 sacks and not only all the pass swats, he made people say Mario WHO?? (and not just Bills fans….ha!)…this was the easiest and most lopsided award to pick (it probably will be each and every year as the NFL sh!ts more and more upon defenses and defensive play)

Runners Up: Aldon Smith (SF), Charles Tillman (Chi), Richard Sherman (Sea)

2012 Offensive Player of the Year:

He broke an unthinkable record this year….hell he even survived the Madden Curse…no running game and a terrible season from Matt Stafford and horrible coaching from Jim Schwartz…122 catches, 1,964 yards “but only 5 TDs”….I very easily could have given the award to any of the runners-up too, but Calvin deserves something for the amazing year he had after all……

Runners Up: Adrian Peterson, Robert Griffin, Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, Alfred Morris,

2012 Comeback Player of the Year:

This one’s easy too….NO ONE did what Adrian Peterson did with as little around him this year…. 2,097 yards and only 2 fumbles lost too ….AP did so much this year I’m gonna be saying his name a LOT below too, so I’m not even going to bother singing his praises here or this is gonna be a Copy/Paste fest……and he did it all coming off major knee surgery is super duper fast forward….”but Peyton Manning came back from two neck surgeries!!”…wah, he also took a year off …bitch please, Manning was only sacked 21 times this year (2nd lowest), while AP gets hit 21 times a PLAY sometimes…I’ll take the back who had the awesome year off the knee surgery cause you know he’s gotta run with it….maybe if Peyton used the thing above his neck more he’d still be playing today J….I don’t even put Manning second here, because what Jamaal Charles did off his knee surgery and with that crap team around him was just AMAZING too….

Runners Up: Jamaal Charles, Peyton Manning

2012 Disappointment of the Year:

No it’s not the Jets….we all saw that coming with the personnel they had….you could make a case for the Bills….that re-vamped D, Fred Jackson, CJ Spiller, and a record no better then the Jets….Kansas City was quite the hot mess too….San Diego failed epically but it was obvious it was time for a change and they finally got one there….you could say the Dallas Cowboys too, but the Rob Ryan firing, keeping Jason Garrett and not even bringing in an OC has made me see the light on this team, this is all they really are is an overrated cocktease that’s only a fatal heart attack away from being relevant…

With all the pretenders cast aside….here’s your EPIC FAIL of 2012…the Detroit Lions, from young and coming team with great talent to an overrated bunch of immature babies who (Calvin-Tron aside), and just general pathetic play….I thought they weren’t ready for Prime Time….but I didn’t think they’d be on the draft clock already…in a league of awful football teams this team should be WORLDS better then this…..

2012 MVP:

Can I just copy/paste the AP speech above to here too?? The Vikings were a three win team in pre-season projections (and it was more then just me saying this), this was a “re-build season” and time to get Ponder’s feet wet after all and Percy Harvin was crying about leaving town….but whatever miracle cure AP sold his soul for to get better took over, and he carried his team, literally with the football, into the playoffs and into the record books…unlike some other MVP “candidates” who were along for the ride Ray Bourque-style in Denver….or even Aaron Rodgers (who would be my #2 choice for MVP)….or Tom Brady…all these guys had WAY BETTER teams around them, and most of those teams had enough talent around them (well maybe not Green Bay, the 49ers loss showed how flawed the Packers talent is when A-Rod’s not firing at 1,000 %), this too was a no-brainer

Runners Up: Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady

The Ravens/Pats: I am hoping will be as exciting as it was a few years ago when I could sit back and relax after the first half. Not thinking that is going to happen. Should be another classic down the wire. I love the Ravens as the huge underdog. It fits our motif. You know how I feel about Flacco. And loving that Crasher picked against us...again.

What's NE thinking at the end of the half? They could've called timeout and attempted one more shot at the end zone. Instead they burned the clock with an attempted hurry-up and ended up having to take the timeout anyway with 4 seconds left and settle for the field goal.

Edited by nmigliore

Thought this game was all about Jim Caldwell and Dean Pees. Just a masterful game plan by the Ravens coaches and executed perfectly by the players. Wasn't sure Caldwell had it in him. Loved the aggressive attacking formation all game. Defensively, they knew everything NE liked to do and stopped it.

NE has not had a deep threat since Moss left and once again it showed today. Made things a lot easier for the Ravens to take away what NE loves doing best.

Not sure what NE's game plan was today or what they thought the Ravens were going to do, but they simply had no answers. Bill was way too conservative in first half and it cost them. Not sure if he was even on the sidelines. Wtf was going on. They have the ball on the 5 yard line with 16 seconds left and a timeout and somehow only call a timeout with 4 seconds. They could have had 3 shots at the endzone if they use it. And I have no idea what he was doing with his timeouts at the end of the game either.

Edited by devilsrule33

Geez listening to the Ravens in the postgame, they were clearly a team possessed. For their sake I hope they didn't put everything on the table to get past this game, the way the Jets did when they beat the Pats two years ago and then didn't show up the next week in the AFCC until it was too late. At least the Ravens have two weeks to re-focus.

Praise Odin :P

Guess Flacco earned his money this postseason.

Verily. Flacco earned his $ as always

In the post season. He is a winner and only getting better. Praise Odin for Jim Caldwell.

Thought this game was all about Jim Caldwell and Dean Peas. Just a masterful game plan by the Ravens coaches and executed perfectly by the players. Wasn't sure Caldwell had it in him. Loved the aggressive attacking formation all game. Defensively, they knew everything NE liked to do and stopped it.

NE has not had a deep threat since Moss left and once again it showed today. Made things a lot easier for the Ravens to take away what NE loves doing best.

Not sure what NE's game plan was today or what they thought the Ravens were going to do, but they simply had no answers. Bill was way too conservative in first half and it cost them. Not sure if he was even on the sidelines. Wtf was going on. They have the ball on the 5 yard line with 16 seconds left and a timeout and somehow only call a timeout with 4 seconds. They could have had 3 shots at the endzone if they use it. And I have no idea what he was doing with his timeouts at the end of the game either.

Dead on about Pees and Caldwell

Geez listening to the Ravens in the postgame, they were clearly a team possessed. For their sake I hope they didn't put everything on the table to get past this game, the way the Jets did when they beat the Pats two years ago and then didn't show up the next week in the AFCC until it was too late. At least the Ravens have two weeks to re-focus.

There is no way John Harbaugh is going let them lose focus.

Seems like the Ravens fortunes changed when Caldwell re-adjusted the offensive line. Mckinne at left tackle and Oher at right tackle, with Osemele at left guard. Just great protection all playoffs. Has allowed the Ravens offense to be so much better. Everything is clicking.

Edited by devilsrule33

By the way, does CR76 even need to write a review for this game. He has pretty much written the post a bunch of times here. Brady gets shutdown. Questionable decisions by Bill as he is outcoached. Defense can't come up with any plays when the offense stalls. No pass rush and crappy secondary.

First off, congrats to Manta, your team deserved it.

And yeah dr33, I wish I could say this came as a surprise, but it didn't, because I've seen this before, and you pretty much nailed everything I would've said...the Genius' D is picked apart easily (though not until the second half), the offense is held in check...like I've said, this team has become Peyton Manning's Colts. Big regular seasons followed by postseason sputters. Great, you can average 30+ points in the regular season...try doing that come playoff time.

As much as I love Wes Welker, he had another key drop in a big game, and the game seemed to turn on that drop. He is a FA, and I think the Pats should let him walk, because I think it's time for some change. I also think BB needs to get a real defensive coordinator in there, and not a puppet like Patricia, because BB's defenses just don't get it done in the big spots anymore.

EDIT: The one thing I will say about the Pats' D is that they gave the offense several opportunities to build a cushion. No way the Genius' D was going to be able to shut down the Ravens the entire game.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

It warms the cockles of my heart to see Belichick and Brady denied at the doorstep once again. It warms my heart even more that that little a$$hole Welker STILL is ringless since going to New England. I can't stand that little sh!t stain. Congrats Manta on your Ravens reaching the Bowl, well deserved.

It warms the cockles of my heart to see Belichick and Brady denied at the doorstep once again. It warms my heart even more that that little a$$hole Welker STILL is ringless since going to New England. I can't stand that little sh!t stain. Congrats Manta on your Ravens reaching the Bowl, well deserved.

I get this...when your team has been mostly irrelevent in recent seasons, as the Dolphins often are, you love to see the team that has been having much more success (some of it at your expense) not win it all. I'm not chastizing you for it...as a Met fan, I'm always tickled when the Yankees or Braves stumble, for much the same reason. So I can relate.

I get this...when your team has been mostly irrelevent in recent seasons, as the Dolphins often are, you love to see the team that has been having much more success (some of it at your expense) not win it all. I'm not chastizing you for it...as a Met fan, I'm always tickled when the Yankees or Braves stumble, for much the same reason. So I can relate.

..carefully noted.

With that said..... SPYGATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hahaha

https://www.twitter.com/jharrison9292/status/293192079344025600

That's what makes sports fun- not only enjoying when your team wins, but enjoying seeing your rivals lose. My team hasn't won jack in 40 years, so I have to take my enjoyment where I can get it lol.

I see a lot of fans angry at Welker for a drop, but you throw the ball to him so many times, he is bound to drop one or two. It was a bad one, but he has pretty much been the key for NE for how many years? He has driven teams crazy because his chemistry with Brady is ridiculous and barely anyone in the league can stop him. Letting him go wouldn't be the smartest play.

It just seems NE desperately needs a deep threat. Not sure if they thought Lloyd was that guy, but he certainly wasn't this year. I don't think he was that big of an upgrade for them this season. You need a deep threat in this league. It just makes things easier for a defense without one. Obviously, it wasn't an issue for NE this year, but it was glaring today.

The game did change a bit when Talib went out. That was a tough loss for the secondary.

The Colts-Pats comparison isn't a bad one. I haven't seen any truly terrible games from Brady, but he was a bit off today. Not awful, but not elite level. Missed a few bad throws. But like I posted a few days ago, NE is never as good as their record states because of how bad their division has been over the years, and how bad a lot of the AFC is.

Yeah, 1986 seems like a mighty long time ago. The Jets and Mets are almost the same franchise...embarrassment and buffoonery seem to have a way of following both teams around.

..now that my juvenal gloating is out of the way, let me be serious for a moment. I think Brady is the best quarterback in football.

I have all the respect you can have for what Bill & Tom have accomplished throughout their careers joined at the hip. The fact that they've lost only 38 regular season games of their last 170, dating all the way back to 2002, is nothing short of remarkable. However, the 8-7 record they've now tailored during the playoffs since 2005, and the 20 interceptions by Brady through the span to go along, is STUNNING. Absolutely stunning! Even the biggest Pats-holics are calling them chokers, and it's tough to say otherwise. Especially considering the fact that 2 of those 8 victories were literally handed to them last season from Baltimore & Denver.

No matter what happens, B&B got the 3 title's, and are sure fire HOFer's when their career(s) end. But you gotta believe it would eat at the both of them if they weren't able to exonerate a .500 playoff record (or worse) the 10-15 years after their last SB. Take it from me, when you go to 2 back-to-back AFC Championship games, it is extremely difficult to make noise the following year. Brady turns 36 in August, so they still have a 2-3 year window to remain a dominate force. But the mold will begin to protrude if they fail to go deep next season.

No one will ever know the full extent in how Spygate aided them during their *dynasty ;-)

-but coincidence or not, it's almost like it cursed them every season they don't win it from here on out. The difference between when the Jets blew the whistle then and now though.. is that NOW they're cultivating the playoff record to fuel the fire. It's almost become a yearly tradition everytime they lose. A zillion articles get recycled on the web.. ESPN shows before\after 2007 graphics for the next 3 days.. Spygate trends worldwide.. different high profile players begin to tweet jabs their way.. and we rinse repeat next season.

It warms my heart even more that that little a$$hole Welker STILL is ringless since going to New England. I can't stand that little sh!t stain.

..and the best part is, after tonight they'll probably make the mistake of letting him walk next season.

Really happy to see Brady and the Pats sent home.

..gotta admit, as a Jet fan, it's been consolatory seeing that "sh!t my pants" look on the faces of New England for the last 8 years when the post-season rolls around.

I see a lot of fans angry at Welker for a drop, but you throw the ball to him so many times, he is bound to drop one or two. It was a bad one, but he has pretty much been the key for NE for how many years? He has driven teams crazy because his chemistry with Brady is ridiculous and barely anyone in the league can stop him. Letting him go wouldn't be the smartest play.

It just seems NE desperately needs a deep threat. Not sure if they thought Lloyd was that guy, but he certainly wasn't this year. I don't think he was that big of an upgrade for them this season. You need a deep threat in this league. It just makes things easier for a defense without one. Obviously, it wasn't an issue for NE this year, but it was glaring today.

The game did change a bit when Talib went out. That was a tough loss for the secondary.

The Colts-Pats comparison isn't a bad one. I haven't seen any truly terrible games from Brady, but he was a bit off today. Not awful, but not elite level. Missed a few bad throws. But like I posted a few days ago, NE is never as good as their record states because of how bad their division has been over the years, and how bad a lot of the AFC is.

Welker isn't getting any younger either. Look, I like the guy a lot, but sometimes something drastic has to be done. If he wasn't a FA, I probably wouldn't advocate trading him, but since he's a FA and will be looking for a huge payday, this might be a good time to start changing the dynamic of the team. Like I've pointed out, this offense has gone bye-bye too many times in recent playoff years, going back to playoff loss #1 against the Ravens.

Lloyd was a bust...his main problem that I saw this season is that he doesn't get much separation from his corner, which is why Brady didn't go to him as much as expected.

Losing Talib hurt, no question...when asked to cover receivers, McCourty and Arrington are near-useless.

First off, congrats to Manta, your team deserved it.

And yeah dr33, I wish I could say this came as a surprise, but it didn't, because I've seen this before, and you pretty much nailed everything I would've said...the Genius' D is picked apart easily (though not until the second half), the offense is held in check...like I've said, this team has become Peyton Manning's Colts. Big regular seasons followed by postseason sputters.

More like Peyton Manning's teams period :P

Edited by NJDevs4978

Thanks everyone.

CR1976 I was stressed out the whole game up until the Pollard hit and Boldins second TD. Only then did I relax. We had a wide enough margin and the Patroits receivers looked a little to beat up and hearing footsteps. Their body language in the 4th said it all.

I am just thankful that Cameron wasn't doing the play calling, otherwise we'd have lost to the Colts.