Should the New Jersey Devils Consider Going After Alexander Semin?

NewarkDevil5

Well on NHL.com there's a video on Semin and they do mention us being in the race for Semin so that has to be something right? Atleast we know we're in it instead of just assuming we are :D

Link to video:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=638161

Yup, but it seems more like speculation then an actual shortlist and actually "in the race".

Edited by TheMazz

At first I was lukewarm to the idea of brining Semin on board. The more I think about it, the more I think it's a chance we should take, especially if we can get him on a 2-3 year deal. There just aren't any forward prospects in our system that will be ready to make the jump up the next few seasons, and we clearly have a large hole in the top 6. Using Tedenby or Clarkson there won't cut it.

Henrique-Zajac-Kovy

Semin-Elias-Zubrus

Tedenby/Bernier-Josefson-Clarkson

Carter-Gionta-Bernier/Barsch

Those lines don't look so bad to me.

At first I was lukewarm to the idea of brining Semin on board. The more I think about it, the more I think it's a chance we should take, especially if we can get him on a 2-3 year deal. There just aren't any forward prospects in our system that will be ready to make the jump up the next few seasons, and we clearly have a large hole in the top 6. Using Tedenby or Clarkson there won't cut it.

Henrique-Zajac-Kovy

Semin-Elias-Zubrus

Tedenby/Bernier-Josefson-Clarkson

Carter-Gionta-Bernier/Barsch

Those lines don't look so bad to me.

If we had Semin I'd probably want to try him out on a line with Ilya whether with Zajac or Henrique centering. I'd love to see if there could be some chemistry created there.

If we had Semin I'd probably want to try him out on a line with Ilya whether with Zajac or Henrique centering. I'd love to see if there could be some chemistry created there.

Kovy-Zajac-Semin

Elias-Henrique-Zubrus

Teddy-Josefson-Clarkson

CBGB

Barch/Cam

That lineup sounds good to me.

Edited by TheMazz

Looks good but still not sold on that third line. I hope Tedenby finally works out.

Well then re-signing Sykora I would think isn't out of the question. This would give the Devils a potential third line of:

Sykora-Josefson-Clarkson.

Although I really hope Tedenby works out as well. This is going to be what I assume is a "prove yourself" year for him. In my opinion, what I believe is the most likely scenario is if Tedenby DOESN'T pan out (and only if doesn't) then a trade will be made.

Edited by TheMazz

I see where you're coming from. Personally, I would be afraid that Semin and Kovy's styles are too similar to put them on the same line. You need someone to go into the corners and dig out pucks much like Zach used to. I don't see either of these 2 doing that. Plus, you can't expect the center to be the 1st guy in on the forecheck either. For those reasons, I had them split up with Henrique on the first line to take over for Zach, and Zubrus on the 2nd to forecheck and cycle the hell out of other teams.

Either way, the 1st 2 lines are much more formidible with Semin in the lineup than without him. I just feel that, without someone there to replace some, if not all, of Zach's offensive production, this team will struggle mightily to score more than 1 or 2 goals per game next season.

Theres a poll on NHL.com asking who's going to sign Semin. We're currently 3rd in the poll behind the rest of the field and Detroit. Doesnt mean anything, but guess can't give up hope for his possible signing here yet.

http://www.nhl.com

Its on the bottom right of the frontpage

Edited by ghdi

ToddCordell: Alex Semin's agent, Mark Gandler, when asked if they've been talking with the #NJDevils: "I can't comment (on that)."

Take that as you will but personally, when I hear "I can't comment" or "no comment" I feel that means that something is brewing...

But perhaps that is just me looking too much into it.

ToddCordell: Alex Semin's agent, Mark Gandler, when asked if they've been talking with the #NJDevils: "I can't comment (on that)."

Take that as you will but personally, when I hear "I can't comment" or "no comment" I feel that means that something is brewing...

Eh its more than nothing but less than something.

Eh its more than nothing but less than something.

It does sound Devilish though. Maybe since we hardly ever hear about the Devils being involved in a free agent we just assume now when someone says they can't comment that it means he is signing here. Gosh just pick somewhere already alex.

It is looking too much into it. Cheshnokov said the agent's favorite two words were 'no comment'. And if the offers are as bad as they seem, I wouldn't want to go advertising that anyway.

Edited by NJDevs4978

You're looking too much into it. The same "No comment" is the same answer he's given to other bloggers from other teams. The only thing its better than is "The Devils or Semin is not interested", and thats the only thing Im holding onto in respect to Semin coming here. There's been nothing but speculation on who can use him and nothing substantial as to our interest.

Semin has no incentive to sign right now. I wouldnt be surprised if he's not signed till sometime later in August or at least not until Doan is off the market.

This does leave the possibility there & that he is respecting Lou's Status Quo philosophy. But I aint going to be breaking out the celebratory box of doanuts just yet.

I thought it was just waiting on him getting back from Mother Russia, is he back in the USA yet??

This does leave the possibility there & that he is respecting Lou's Status Quo philosophy. But I aint going to be breaking out the celebratory box of doanuts just yet.

I thought it was just waiting on him getting back from Mother Russia, is he back in the USA yet??

DOANuts!!! :yea: