Parise has hired Don Meehan/Wade Arnott as new agent

SterioDesign

My plan would be re-signing Parise to a one-year deal worths 5M and start a long term deal later on because Lou will have much more room to think with Rolston, Elias and Brodeur all off the books after next season.

That's a terrible idea. Then if next season goes bad or negotiation breaks down he has an easy walk with the team getting nothing.

You sign him to a long term deal this year and get that number in the budget. He you can't get him to sign anything beyond a 1 year deal then he clearly want out and I think it would be to trade him.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. I think having Parise making about 5.5 for the next 2-3 years is great, then move him upto around 6 the following 5. We have got to do something about Patty's 6 million contract though. Hes not worth it. He should be making 2.5 after that b-s of a contract is done.

For the second time this thread, Parise will not be making a penny less than 6 million annually for the next decade.

His long term deal will be around Kovalchuk's cap hit. A short term deal would be even higher 7+ million.

One of the reasons Parise's current contract is so awesome is not only the cap hit, but also the fact that it expires with him still becoming an RFA and not a UFA. This way the Devils have a very good chance of re-signing him and if even if they fail to do so, they're gonna get some nice compensation.

That's why Lou has to use this tricky contract which he himself created to re-sign Zach long-term. Signing him for a year or two would be risky, as he would become a UFA soon and we want to use his talent to win a Cup or two before we can let him go (for nothing).

I really feel like Parise wants to be a Devil for a long long time. He has been groomed to be a leader on this team and a potential captain. Many of the players have said that he's a leader and that when Brodeur is gone, that he will be the face of the franchise. If all these people have been saying these things, I just feel like it would be a complete shock to see him walk away from this team.

I not only feel confident that he will stay, but I believe he realizes that asking for a contract that would result in more than 7mil cap hit would handcuff this team for a long time with Kovy being here at the price he is, not to mention the Vanderbeek may not want to spend another 100mil either. I think that he will resign long term and for a cap hit between 5.5-6.5mil. I'm really hoping he'll give us a good discount and sign for 5.5mil with the hopes of allowing the team more leeway to sign better players in order to stack the team for a cup run, but anything up to 6.5mil would be fine by me.

If the contract would make his cap hit more than 7mil, I'm not so sure that he's worth it. Parise works very hard, is a great player and also it a leader on this team, he has never scored 50+ goals or topped 100pts and usually players with cap hits of 7+mil are players that can do this. Parise may do this at some point, but I don't think he's a guy that can do it with any regularity. He's not a very big player and gets by more so on his work ethic than his talent. This in no way is meant to take away from how great a player he is, I just don't believe he's worth more than 6.5-7mil, so if it comes down to it, I would let him walk if he wants that much money.

Edited by ATLL765

I think that he will resign long term and for a cap hit between 5.5-6.5mil. I'm really hoping he'll give us a good discount and sign for 5.5mil with the hopes of allowing the team more leeway to sign better players in order to stack the team for a cup run, but anything up to 6.5mil would be fine by me.

You're hoping for a cap hit less than Kovalchuk's? That's not going to happen. Thank goodness you're not in the negotiations, because you're disrespecting Parise, who's a better player than Kovalchuk.

Stack the team for a Cup run? Hah!

Yeah, honesty... 7 first round draft picks in 4 years is almost scary to think about. We would have a dynasty at our fingertips.

Not really unless it were the Oilers or Panthers giving us top 5 picks every year.

I love the idea of building through the draft but i'll never get the preference for futures over a proven superstar. Even with 20/20 hindsight, I would have a hard time deciding between Parise and our 4 best 1st round draft picks in the last 19 drafts (1992-2010). It's close but I think I would take Parise over Gomez + Zajac + Sykora & 1 of J Smith/Tedenby/Josefson. If you take our recent drafting history in the first round, Parise >>>>> Bergfors, Corrente, Tedenby and Josefson and it's not even close.

Edited by Lateralous

Not really unless it were the Oilers or Panthers giving us top 5 picks every year.

I love the idea of building through the draft but i'll never get the preference for futures over a proven superstar. Even with 20/20 hindsight, I would have a hard time deciding between Parise and our 4 best 1st round draft picks in the last 19 drafts (1992-2010). It's close but I think I would take Parise over Gomez + Zajac + Sykora & 1 of J Smith/Tedenby/Josefson. If you take our recent drafting history in the first round, Parise >>>>> Bergfors, Corrente, Tedenby and Josefson and it's not even close.

Most of those picks besides JJ were not in the top 20 either, Parise was taken at 17th. While I still think he was a great find, Lou knew what he was doing when he traded up

Edited by SMantzas

Most of those picks besides JJ were not in the top 20 either, Parise was taken at 17th. While I still think he was a great find, Lou knew what he was doing when he traded up

Which is why I put the caveat about the Panthers and Oilers. Do you really thing a team that is attractive enough for Parise to sign with (not the Oilers or Panthers) that actually adds Parise is going to yield 4 top 10 picks? Since the answer is probably no our 1st round draft history is relevant.

lateralous:

i'm not huge on 1st round picks, but 4 first rounders is better than parise at 8 million. while you won't get a player as good as parise, you get $8 million in cap space + 4 first round picks. those picks can be used for a lot of good stuff.

How do you know what youre gonna get? It could be a Seguin type of thing

You're hoping for a cap hit less than Kovalchuk's? That's not going to happen. Thank goodness you're not in the negotiations, because you're disrespecting Parise, who's a better player than Kovalchuk.

I was much less commenting on Parise's value than I was commenting on how I believe he is a true team player and would not be so egotistical to demand such a large payday, but where in his past do you see that he'd be worth more than a big name star like Kovy? As I said, he's not cracked 100pts and his career best of 94 was in 08-09 where the whole team was way more offensively minded and many guys had career seasons on offense. If we have Kovy at 6.67, why in the world would you think we'd not get Zach for a lesser number? Zach is without a doubt not the kind of guy to demand a paycheck like Kovy did. He knows he has to be a team player if this organization is going to compete for a cup.

Put me on the record as saying Parise will DEFINITELY sign for a cap hit of less than 6.5mil. If he doesn't, to hell with him then.

I was much less commenting on Parise's value than I was commenting on how I believe he is a true team player and would not be so egotistical to demand such a large payday, but where in his past do you see that he'd be worth more than a big name star like Kovy? As I said, he's not cracked 100pts and his career best of 94 was in 08-09 where the whole team was way more offensively minded and many guys had career seasons on offense. If we have Kovy at 6.67, why in the world would you think we'd not get Zach for a lesser number? Zach is without a doubt not the kind of guy to demand a paycheck like Kovy did. He knows he has to be a team player if this organization is going to compete for a cup.

Put me on the record as saying Parise will DEFINITELY sign for a cap hit of less than 6.5mil. If he doesn't, to hell with him then.

You and I just don't agree on this at all. For one, I think the days of stars taking less to better compete for a championship are over for this franchise. Did you notice that after Kovalchuk's first contract was rejected, he did not take significantly less money for the second approved contract? And Parise is better than Kovalchuk. If you could poll every GM, asking them who they would rather have, who do you think would come out on top. Kovalchuk? I don't think so.

thing of it is... I'm an extremely loyal person, but even I woudl think of departing if the right geographic location came up. Like Rafalski on the Wings was too perfect to turn down. Zach himself is not where Rafalski was.... just - the Chemistry is messed up and H'es never been on the team when it wasn't inexplicably awful. For his experience - NJ is the same as anywhere else :noclue: There is nothing keeping him here at all.

and he's at that age now.... AND he's in uncharted territory - who's to say which team is going to be hot? He DOES know what sort of control he has in NJ and that in fact he cannot lead a whole team on his back and no one here can teach him that - thank you organization for that - nice work there nice holding on to the clarity there Lou big thumbs up. <_< That was the teams strong point... so now... what's the selling point for Jersey for Zach?

What's his dad thinking? What does every one know about the league and about the organizations that really mean something any more?

You know - for that matter what is Jersey bringing to the table for ANY NHL player anymore? a half-assed warm-n-fuzzy Larry Robinson is about it, near as I can tell. Maybe I'm just in a mood. A Lady Bynging Oates? A smart Mac who has zero experience - he's must just be spending this whole year doing nothing but observing and learning -- he won't be ready for action for a year probably two and THEN he'll have to move to a new team to put it all in play I'd bet.

Edited by Pepperkorn

It sounds like you agree with me, Pepperkorn. Taking one for the team is a difficult sell. Guess what? The Devils are going to have to pay the man some serious coin. And they probably will, because Vanderbeek does not want to be the owner who fell all over himself to sign Kovalchuk and let the team's best skater and a fan favorite get away. That would be a PR disaster.

Obviously, it would be a bigger mess if Parise walked away and the Devils got nothing in return. But even if some team signs Parise to an RFA offer sheet and the Devils get four first rounders, it's still a PR disaster ... because they courted the wrong player.

Yep. and I just can't harbor any ill will if he goes.

Niedermayer I can have fun with the hate because he stole trade secrets! :giggle: Zach... I fell awful for. There are now trade secrets for him to make off with. :saddevil: This organization has no more secrets - hence no fear. and they can't even pretend liek they do. :evilcry:

Man it's truly back to square one here. suspicious.gif with no Al Arbor ummmmm.gif no Jaques Lemaire quiet.gif No ANYONE!! cry2.gif

Edited by Pepperkorn

If only Kovalchuk played like Parise...

You know - for that matter what is Jersey bringing to the table for ANY NHL player anymore? a half-assed warm-n-fuzzy Larry Robinson is about it, near as I can tell. Maybe I'm just in a mood. A Lady Bynging Oates? A smart Mac who has zero experience - he's must just be spending this whole year doing nothing but observing and learning -- he won't be ready for action for a year probably two and THEN he'll have to move to a new team to put it all in play I'd bet.

I said this in the chat the other night, but there is really nothing from a professional standpoint that would keep people in NJ anymore. It used to be all about winning. That is what kept people here. The chance to win. To be a contender every season. But guess what, every single free agent post-lockout has left NJ and experienced something better.

Scott Niedermayer - His career took off even more. Played with his brother, enjoyed the weather, won a Cup, Conn Smythe, etc.

Brian Rafalski - went to Detroit and immediately won a Stanley Cup, followed by another Cup appearance. Chances are they will be contender again this year.

Scott Gomez - Left Jersey for the city he wanted and beat the Devils in the first round the next year. Got to the Conference Finals last season with Montreal. Even though he has been traded, I don't think he is unhappy for a second with his decision.

Aaron Asham - Went to Philly where he went back to bring the fairly productive player he never was in NJ. Stanley Cup appearance last year with a strong playoff performance.

Jim Dowd - Larger role in Philly and Conference Finals appearance his first season gone.

Brian Gionta - Makes the Conference Finals in his first year with Montreal and becomes the captain of the most storied franchise in hockey.

John Madden - Wins a Cup his first year gone in Chicago.

Mike Rupp - Goes to Pittsburgh where he goes back to being an everyday player, where he isn't being scratched by his head coach. Has a career year scoring 13 goals.

Paul Martin - To early to say what is in store in Pitt, but it wouldn't be a stretch to say he'll be having more success there.

And it isn't like anyone who signed with NJ with the idea of winning a Stanley Cup or having a great chance every year has worked out. Almost every free agent brought in has struggled from Mogilny, Malahkov, McGillis, Matvichuk, Rachunek, Vishnevski, Holik, Rolston, Niedermayer, Tallinder, Arnott and of course with the trade, Kovalchuk.

If Zach needs to talk to any former teammates when he becomes a UFA, I don't think any of them from the list above is telling him don't leave. They are probably all enjoying their new organizations and successes they have each had outside of NJ.

Edited by devilsrule33

that's because those teams are looking to bottle the kool-aid. i wonder where bobby holik is on this list about leaving NJ - zero playoff series wins outside of this organization.

zach's not going to have his pick of teams. he's going to have a few teams after him. so it's just a question of whether or not these teams can offer him more money and a better chance to win.

I said this in the chat the other night, but there is really nothing from a professional standpoint that would keep people in NJ anymore. It used to be all about winning. That is what kept people here. The chance to win. To be a contender every season. But guess what, every single free agent post-lockout has left NJ and experienced something better.

Scott Niedermayer - His career took off even more. Played with his brother, enjoyed the weather, won a Cup, Conn Smythe, etc.

Brian Rafalski - went to Detroit and immediately won a Stanley Cup, followed by another Cup appearance. Chances are they will be contender again this year.

Scott Gomez - Left Jersey for the city he wanted and beat the Devils in the first round the next year. Got to the Conference Finals last season with Montreal. Even though he has been traded, I don't think he is unhappy for a second with his decision.

Aaron Asham - Went to Philly where he went back to bring the fairly productive player he never was in NJ. Stanley Cup appearance last year with a strong playoff performance.

Jim Dowd - Larger role in Philly and Conference Finals appearance his first season gone.

Brian Gionta - Makes the Conference Finals in his first year with Montreal and becomes the captain of the most storied franchise in hockey.

John Madden - Wins a Cup his first year gone in Chicago.

Mike Rupp - Goes to Pittsburgh where he goes back to being an everyday player, where he isn't being scratched by his head coach. Has a career year scoring 13 goals.

Paul Martin - To early to say what is in store in Pitt, but it wouldn't be a stretch to say he'll be having more success there.

And it isn't like anyone who signed with NJ with the idea of winning a Stanley Cup or having a great chance every year has worked out. Almost every free agent brought in has struggled from Mogilny, Malahkov, McGillis, Matvichuk, Rachunek, Vishnevski, Holik, Rolston, Niedermayer, Tallinder, Arnott and of course with the trade, Kovalchuk.

If Zach needs to talk to any former teammates when he becomes a UFA, I don't think any of them from the list above is telling him don't leave. They are probably all enjoying their new organizations and successes they have each had outside of NJ.

I don't know why this list needed merc-y players like Asham, Rupp, Dowd, and even Maddog to an extent. they're irrelevant. and I'm sure Gomez is happy with his bags of money, but now he's an underachieving goat wherever he goes.

Pretty doubtful any big-money FA is going to Arron Asham and Mike Rupp for advice.

I don't know why this list needed merc-y players like Asham, Rupp, Dowd, and even Maddog to an extent. they're irrelevant. and I'm sure Gomez is happy with his bags of money, but now he's an underachieving goat wherever he goes.

Pretty doubtful any big-money FA is going to Arron Asham and Mike Rupp for advice.

I have no idea who Zach would go to and I doubt you do either. Regardless they are ex-Devils who didn't have a good run here at the end but found more success somewhere else. That was the point of the list. Maybe not all of them had a bad time at the end, but the success has been greater on their new team.

At this point, from a professional standpoint, I don't see much interest for a player to come to NJ or stay with NJ other than much more $$$. That didn't use to be the case. And I am sure Zach will have the opportunity to make more money somewhere else.

And Tri, the list was post-lockout. Holik really? But from the interviews I have heard, Holik has no problems leaving NJ. Loved the money obviously, and seemed to really want to be a Ranger / enjoyed his time with the Rangers a lot regardless of the outcome.

Edited by devilsrule33