Game 4 GDT: Devils @ Flyers 7:30 EST

Devil Fan

We can go over until the cow comes home on how Lou is at fault or isn't at fault. I'll defend Lou, because he's smarter than you and I put together - and I firmly believe the Kovalchuk deal was a great deal and for the assets we gave up it was a good deal, and if the same assets were given for a defensman it would've been an overpayment considering there was the defensemen available to get.

This series is not over.

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He took a crosscheck right in front of the net on a scramble, was fouled shorthanded, was dangerous on a wraparound. Those are the only ones I remember.

But the team is without a doubt being outcoached, I agree 100% with you.

He also got pasted to make the pass to Kovalchuk on his goal.

I was going to wait until the end of the season to write this, but I may as well get it out now. I'll bring it up again at the end of the year when everyone gets into "adds and deletes".

Lou should trade Marty...

This is not an indictment of his play, or a knee-jerk reaction to the third period of this game. He still has lots in the tank, is a legend / hall of famer / my favorite player. He might be one of the 3 or 4 best goalies of all time (in any era). But... A good GM will always get maximum value for his players, and I'm afraid that Marty has exceeded his usefulness in this league.

Note: I said in this league - "the new NHL".

Why trade Marty?

1) I am no longer sure the difference between the top tier of goaltenders and the middle of the pack guys is as great as it was. Play-off games are being decided 5-4, 7-3; not 2-1.

2) The league is no longer a defensive league - the play-offs are a PP fest.

3) Good or even great goalies can't buy you goals for.

4) This is one of the best draft classes in some time. Get as many picks as you can.

5) It's obvious the Devils need other things more than a hall-of-fame goalie; like heart and soul, basic scoring, and more.

6) The team relies way too heavily on Marty and gets complacent. I think individual players did better in front of Clemmer because they had to (for example).

Downsides:

a) Attendance will suffer for awhile, unless they keep winning.

b) I did "zero" research, he may have a no-trade and/or there may be no teams that can afford him.

c) It's a big risk, is scary, may destroy Lou's career, blah, blah

In summary, I just don't think he's the answer for us mid-term to long-term. We can't score consistently, the league seems committed to offense/power plays, a goalie can lose a series for you - but Pittsburgh and the Wings have proven that in the new NHL that an "above average" goalie can win championships when you have 3 full lines of scorers (and a power play that cashes in more than 1 in 7 times). What do you guys think?

He took a crosscheck right in front of the net on a scramble, was fouled shorthanded, was dangerous on a wraparound. Those are the only ones I remember.

But the team is without a doubt being outcoached, I agree 100% with you.

I remember the wraparound now. Also the aforementioned breakaway negated by the hooking.

Meh. Maybe I should give him the benefit of the doubt since he's consistently been the hardest-working guy on the team. But he was just invisible to me tonight. I do have all the confidence in the world that he'll be extremely visible on Thursday, though.

I predict a 4-2 loss on Thursday night and the Devils skating off the ice with the same "aww shucks" looks on their faces we've become accustomed to seeing the past three years.

you know what if we do lose Thursday it will be the third year in a row we lost at home

I was going to wait until the end of the season to write this, but I may as well get it out now. I'll bring it up again at the end of the year when everyone gets into "adds and deletes".

Lou should trade Marty...

This is not an indictment of his play, or a knee-jerk reaction to the third period of this game. He still has lots in the tank, is a legend / hall of famer / my favorite player. He might be one of the 3 or 4 best goalies of all time (in any era). But... A good GM will always get maximum value for his players, and I'm afraid that Marty has exceeded his usefulness in this league.

Note: I said in this league - "the new NHL".

Why trade Marty?

1) I am no longer sure the difference between the top tier of goaltenders and the middle of the pack guys is as great as it was. Play-off games are being decided 5-4, 7-3; not 2-1.

2) The league is no longer a defensive league - the play-offs are a PP fest.

3) Good or even great goalies can't buy you goals for.

4) This is one of the best draft classes in some time. Get as many picks as you can.

5) It's obvious the Devils need other things more than a hall-of-fame goalie; like heart and soul, basic scoring, and more.

6) The team relies way too heavily on Marty and gets complacent. I think individual players did better in front of Clemmer because they had to (for example).

Downsides:

a) Attendance will suffer for awhile, unless they keep winning.

b) I did "zero" research, he may have a no-trade and/or there may be no teams that can afford him.

c) It's a big risk, is scary, may destroy Lou's career, blah, blah

In summary, I just don't think he's the answer for us mid-term to long-term. We can't score consistently, the league seems committed to offense/power plays, a goalie can lose a series for you - but Pittsburgh and the Wings have proven that in the new NHL that an "above average" goalie can win championships when you have 3 full lines of scorers (and a power play that cashes in more than 1 in 7 times). What do you guys think?

Never tell anyone outside the family what you're thinking again.

This series is not over.

Technically it's not over, sure. But, really, what can we do differently? Is this team somehow going to turn it around by thursday? Are they finally going to turn it on and start scoring some goals? If they do, isn't it too little too late? I would love for them to get back in this thing and steal a game 7. I just don't know what's going to jump start these guys to actually believe they can. (I also don't know wtf is wrong with their PP)

On another note, I'd like to see Corrente play on thurs night.

MotorCity...

You just sunk your boat with the trade Marty.

Explain - how did I sink my boat?

I LOVE the guy, I promise. Come see my basement. I just think that he's not the answer long-term. He might be more valuable to us long-term... as a trade.

I'll take the heat - I love the Devils, I love Marty. It's just how I feel... And I even tried to point out it might be a pointless discussion (no-trade, no interest).

Other teams have traded the franchise, some times it works - sometimes it doesn't. Doesn't make me stupid or irrational.

Edited by Motor City Devil

You know what's there to do Thursday? Watch the Draft :lol:

Since the Jets are picking 29th, it's even money the draft won't get to the 29th pick by the time I get home Thursday :P

you know what if we do lose Thursday it will be the third year in a row we lost at home

Fourth...it's just the third (out of three) at the Rock.

MotorCity...

You just sunk your boat with the trade Marty.

He's right...Marty is an old man who doesn't come up with the big save anymore... look how bad he was for Team Canada...losing to USA wow...

TRADE MARTY for a bag of pucks

DOBA

He's right...Marty is an old man who doesn't come up with the big save anymore... look how bad he was for Team Canada...losing to USA wow...

DOBA

That's not what I said - he still has tons in the tank.

You know what's there to do Thursday? Watch the Draft :lol:

I thought about that, but I'll go to game 5 anyway (while eyeing the phone to see what's going on with the draft). A good captain goes down with his ship, so I'll go down with mine. I will then look immediately forward to the press conference to announce Lemaire's firing/resignation.

Edited by MadDog2020

DOBA

Lucifers Dog's new account?

Thought that save in the second was pretty big. Once again the team didn't respond.

Marty gave up a bad goal in a game where we weren't even close to scoring for about 50 minutes of the game, and this was after multiple fantastic stops. He singlehandedly almost won the previous game and has otherwise been stellar in the series. Blaming him is asinine.

If we had any other reasonable goalie in for this series, we would have been swept and every game would have been a blowout.

Edited by metallidevils