GDT:2/10/13 New Jersey Devils @ Pittsburgh Penguins

cgb6397

Once again they tried to bully us early, but we took the puches and then sufficated them. sweet.  we got caught with their late speed a few times but moose had the ice seriously covered

loved it when malkin took it around the entire zone TWICE, and then we just took it down and scored LMAO

the 20min Kovy > 30 min Kovy!!!     he looked great

If we had only three more powerplays his ice time would have been at 28 minutes. Only one powerplay so thats why it was low. I dont mind Kovy getting high ice time if there are a lot of powerplays. Last year was just bad, he was being double shifting constantly on the 4th line.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last night was the first time I really saw the Cup Finalist team - the team that outworked other teams in the corner and kept the puck in the opponent's end with the lead.  There hasn't been too much of that so far this year.

There's still some big issues with this team, but so far they're getting the percentages and playing well to boot.  Just have to go .500 the rest of the way to make the playoffs.

I keep expecting Matteau to have a standard 'rookie game' where his decision-making is poor but he really hasn't had it yet - he hasn't looked out of place with Kovalchuk and Zajac.  It's funny, when he's drafted I think, 'This is the kind of forward DeBoer would love - too bad he's probably 4 or 5 years away from the NHL and DeBoer will probably be gone at that point'.  I like his speed on that line better than I like Zubrus right now.

Looks like Matteau is now holding onto the puck a little longer, at first he was anxious to get a pass off and blindly passed it somewhere. He is now using his big frame, cycling well, being in the right position, and just playing smart hockey. Hope that continues.

It seems the haters are starting with 'the Devils are boring' sh!t again because we continue to win. And we all know because Parise left, there's no WAY the Devils can win without playing the trap! Lmfao. So enter TG, who obviously knows what's up. I love the bitterness from fans of other teams though, enjoy that sh!tburger I told you was coming a$$holes. Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice

The inability of some people to see the Devils play an aggressive forecheck game -- see Pens trouble in own end in 2nd and third -- amazes.

I thought NBCSN was going to give us props...  they started saying the Devils had to adjust in the past decade since their last cup; and that these aren't the same Devils....  but then went into how we had so many players and coaches leave....  but we replaced them with the same type players and systems...   Such a let down...  but at least Byslma had positive things to say about us:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=415731

"I think this team may be different than what's traditionally talked about with the Devils," Bylsma said. "We had some scoring chances, we had some opportunities, but the thing they did really well was played in the offensive zone and extended shifts in the offensive zone. ... They did a good job of taking away opportunities for us to get things going by playing in the offensive zone, and we spent a lot of our energy playing defence."

I thought NBCSN was going to give us props...  they started saying the Devils had to adjust in the past decade since their last cup; and that these aren't the same Devils....  but then went into how we had so many players and coaches leave....  but we replaced them with the same type players and systems...   Such a let down...  but at least Byslma had positive things to say about us:

I didn't get that reading at all. I felt like NBC was giving us major props most of the time. The jist of what they were talking about was how much more important "the team" is than "the player" for the New Jersey Devils. We've lost some of the best players through free agency in the past 15 years, even Hall of Fame players, and we almost never miss a beat regardless.

They weren't getting into specifics of WHICH system or that we're boring, etc., just that we have a consistent system in place and the players are movable parts, a means to an end. They were complimenting us big time all game. The "interchangeable parts" thing is something we talk about all the time as Devils fans, and it couldn't be more true. I don't think that was a dig at us being defensive/trap hockey.

I didn't get that reading at all. I felt like NBC was giving us major props most of the time. The jist of what they were talking about was how much more important "the team" is than "the player" for the New Jersey Devils. We've lost some of the best players through free agency in the past 15 years, even Hall of Fame players, and we almost never miss a beat regardless.

They weren't getting into specifics of WHICH system or that we're boring, etc., just that we have a consistent system in place and the players are movable parts, a means to an end. They were complimenting us big time all game. The "interchangeable parts" thing is something we talk about all the time as Devils fans, and it couldn't be more true. I don't think that was a dig at us being defensive/trap hockey.

I guess.    Just when I hear them talk about the Devils 'system'; and how it hasn't changed; that we play strong defensive hockey;  I'm conditioned to feel it as a dig.     No mention like Bylsma makes, about our strong offensive prescense, pressing the action, keeping it in their zone...      Sure, we're not looking to play offense at all costs...  but we certainly aren't the 'boring' Devils that we have largely been called for the past two decades.

Our team has always been interchangable, with key players shifting up and down 3 lines...   but throughout that time its always been Lou and Marty.   With that era is coming to an end, I hope that  a) We maintain our quality play (obvioulsy)    b) the perception lifts that we win by D alone.   (much how I feel Marty has proved his status when the Stevens/Nieds were no longer on the ice in front of him)

I guess.    Just when I hear them talk about the Devils 'system'; and how it hasn't changed; that we play strong defensive hockey;  I'm conditioned to feel it as a dig.     No mention like Bylsma makes, about our strong offensive prescense, pressing the action, keeping it in their zone...      Sure, we're not looking to play offense at all costs...  but we certainly aren't the 'boring' Devils that we have largely been called for the past two decades.

Our team has always been interchangable, with key players shifting up and down 3 lines...   but throughout that time its always been Lou and Marty.   With that era is coming to an end, I hope that  a) We maintain our quality play (obvioulsy)    b) the perception lifts that we win by D alone.   (much how I feel Marty has proved his status when the Stevens/Nieds were no longer on the ice in front of him)

I mean, the Devils still limit shots on goal a ton and don't shoot the puck a lot themselves.  It would be just as boring as an opposing fan to watch my team getting outworked in the corners in the D zone as it would be watching them trying to enter the D zone and failing, as they would have been during the trap days.  Right now only Nashville has less shots on goal (themselves and their opponents) per 60 minutes at even strength.

That ruled.

Wow really impressed with this team.

This is how I always expect them to play.

Running on all cylinders now!!

LGD keep it up!!

Sheesh...YOU. Alllllllllllllways with the negative. Just once I'd-...

[slight pause]

Oh...um....actually, that was pretty darn good. You c-...just carry on. Carry on.

Edited by NJCroMag

Sheesh...YOU. Alllllllllllllways with the negative. Just once I'd-...

[slight pause]

Oh...um....actually, that was pretty darn good. You c-...just carry on. Carry on.

:::does a little dance twirls around:::: da da dat da daaaaa

The only negative thing I can say at this point is:

The amount of attention the Rangers are getting because they beat the Islanders who are the same old Islanders and also beating a Tampa Bay team in the WORST division is hockey. I can't take how stupid people are with the Rags some times.

Anyway ..ya that's about it..also that had nothing to do with this thread. Sorry in advance.

Edited by ScoreMoreThan3

Last night was the first time I really saw the Cup Finalist team - the team that outworked other teams in the corner and kept the puck in the opponent's end with the lead.  There hasn't been too much of that so far this year.

There's still some big issues with this team, but so far they're getting the percentages and playing well to boot.  Just have to go .500 the rest of the way to make the playoffs.

I keep expecting Matteau to have a standard 'rookie game' where his decision-making is poor but he really hasn't had it yet - he hasn't looked out of place with Kovalchuk and Zajac.  It's funny, when he's drafted I think, 'This is the kind of forward DeBoer would love - too bad he's probably 4 or 5 years away from the NHL and DeBoer will probably be gone at that point'.  I like his speed on that line better than I like Zubrus right now.

Agreed on all points. That game was really reminiscent of the Cup run, particularly the Flyers series. Got the lead on timely strikes, held the puck in their end for extended stretches, and limited chances against. The PK has really returned to last season's form, which is a huge plus.

I also really like what Matteau brought in that game. He was really throwing his weight around and had some great hits, plus his passing was good. His assist came on a smart, aggressive play, pressuring the dman on the point using his speed and good stick which lead to the odd-man rush. Hope he can keep it up and like you said, not have one of those "rookie" games where he just makes bad decisions all night.  

The thing that annoyed me the most during the post game was that instead of talking about why the devils won and what makes them one of the top teams in the east instead they talked about "what did the pens do that made them lose." It makes it sound like the pens played a terrible game when it reality they played a damn good game but the devils were just that much better.

The thing that annoyed me the most during the post game was that instead of talking about why the devils won and what makes them one of the top teams in the east instead they talked about "what did the pens do that made them lose." It makes it sound like the pens played a terrible game when it reality they played a damn good game but the devils were just that much better.

That's just always how it will be for the Devils. I don't know if there's a team in sports as underrated as the Devils are most seasons. When they had the bad start and missed the playoffs a couple of years ago, the hockey media basically reacted with relief that the 'inevitable collapse' finally happened. Two years later, they are in the Stanley Cup Finals. And it seems all the respect they earned during last year's run has been forgotten.

I mean, wasn't Pittsburgh the team that got absolutely throttled by the same Philly team the Devils took out in 5 games? Jersey will always be the Rodney Dangerfield of hockey.

I think there is a bit of resentment for how effective the devils rebuild their teams through a strong defensive system every year. I am sure announcers would love 4-5 and 6-5 games with end to end rushes but that style would only produce wins for maybe 5-6 teams in this league. The devils system changed over time but over the past 5 years its evolved into a forcheck and pin the other team in the zone and run the cycle for possesion system. The beauty of what this team does is displayed by the almost resentful way the announcers call our hockey boring and frustrating.

Tri's fav activity is to say the opposite of what the majority is saying here, you guys have never noticed that? lol

He'll likely bring up some shooting % stat or something similar pointing out that he cant keep up his productiom at that rate or wtv... You get to know him with time :P

I still like you though <3

Edited by SterioDesign

Tri's fav activity is to say the opposite of what the majority is saying here, you guys have never noticed that? lol

He'll likely bring up some shooting % stat or something similar pointing out that he cant keep up his productiom at that rate or wtv... You get to know him with time :P

I still like you though <3

Kovy does only has one 5on5 goal and only four or five 5on5 points. Thats one reason right there. He needs to pick it up in that regard.

Edited by Zubie#8

I went to check out why someone may feel that way about Kovy.  

Kovy's Corsi isn't very good this year and his PDO is 1036, so other teams are outshooting the Devils when he's out there and the Devils goalies have been crazy good when he's been out there, which is where his +/- is benefiting which has more to do with randomness than his own play.

On the flip side Kovy is only starting in the offensive zone 46.8% of the time but finishing in the offensive zone 50.0% of the time, which is pretty nice.

Zajac's Corsi is pretty good and his offensize zone start % is 49.5% so I wonder if a lot of Kovy's bad Corsi is due to exta defensive zone starts with the 4th line.

Kovy is also 15th in points per 60 minutes.  That's unrelated to +/- but I think it shows how useless it is putting him out there with the 4th line.

Is Kovalchuk's back-checking and defensive zone play way better than in past years?  Absolutely.  You'll get no argument from me on that score.  What's gone down is his offensive play.  It's been getting better in recent games, but the Devils are still only getting 46% of the shots taken with him on the ice at even strength.  Players who are outshot by that large a margin tend to be minus players.  Part of it is, as 731 said, playing with the 4th line (the Devils are getting 29% of the shot attempts with Kovalchuk and Ryan Carter on the ice, 35% with Kovalchuk and Stephen Gionta in the very brief time they've had together).  But yeah, unless the offense picks up, it's going to be another minus year for Ilya.

Re:  the +/- thing...as Tri pointed out some time ago, when a player gets that + or - for being on ice when his team gives up or scored a goal, he usually has five other teammates on the ice with him, including his goalie.  Sometimes it's all about being in the right place at the right time or the wrong place at the wrong time, as far as that stat goes...the goalie can give up a softie, one player can make a mistake that causes the other players on the ice to get a -1 on any given goal.  Or of course, a forward can get the puck in his own end, make a couple of phenomenal moves, put the puck home, then BAM!  Everyone who watched as that player did his thing gets a +1.

The baffling case this season remains Jacob Josefson.  The Devils have five players at -1, a sixth at -2, and there's Josefson at -6.  He has yet to be a plus player in any given game this season (to his credit, he has been even in 7 games, -1 in four other games, in -2 in just one game).  The guess here is that he can EVER find a way to score a little, he'll find his way back up to even.  But with just 12 SOG for the season, and not looking like he has great hands, the guess here is that probably isn't happening anytime soon.