Can hockey fans ice skate?

madams9

played last night at floyd arena...been playing roller and ice since i was about 14...stopped while in college...currently 28

believe their can be a sutle difference for a guy watching who has played and who one who never has

played last night at floyd arena...been playing roller and ice since i was about 14...stopped while in college...currently 28

believe their can be a sutle differences for a guy watching who has played and who one who never has

believe their can be a sutle difference for a guy watching who has played and who one who never has

This turned into a fun little topic!

Me, I've been playing street hockey since I was about 10, always goalie. Since I really didn't have ice hockey in high school or college, I never made the jump but I always kept up in dek leauges and pick up games. Recently, however, I finally took lessons to learn how to skate for goalie. Started with the generic group learning sessions at the Ice House and then moved on to private lessons with a goalie coach at Chelsea Piers, my thinking being that I might as well learn goalie skating as it's entirely different than regular skating. Not a bad move, but I quickly realized that I needed to get great on skates before even attempting the goalie position, so after three months or so, I stopped the lessons. So, I suppose the end result is I can skate pretty well but not well enough to play goal...yet.

As for dek hockey, I currently play in a very organized dek leauge in NYC called BTSH. They have twenty teams, four divsions, playoffs, standings, a whole "media" who does team previews, game previews, etc...pretty legit! They play during the summer at Tompkins Square Park down in the East Village. If you ever find yourself in NYC during the summer and swing by Tompkins on Sunday between 1 and 5, you'll see us there playing. It's not pickup and you need to be on a team to play, but it's damn good fun. Plus, the focus is really more on the after game drinking than the game itself, so it's a great environment.

Back on task, I feel that hockey, more than any other sport, requires you play it to get it. Especially in Jersey, where you have so many other things competing for your attention, I think a fair amount of hockey fans have played the sport at least a pick up level, even if they've never skated. Being so far out of our national exposure, hockey is one of those things you have to experience to get, either by playing or being introduced to it.

I used to be able to <_< I figured skated a little and skated all my life, pond hockey only amd pick up roller hockey at Rutgers. But now... I'm not so sure. I fell on my ass saturday before last, skating on Pines Lake with my nephew and daughter. I can bearly control a puck -- it is to laugh! I was bad before but now. and I had no idea how much we use our buttcheek muscles -- I hit right on my coccyx. Your ass doesn't hurt sitting and stuff -- just moving! Heavy lifting (stacking wood again last week) walking up five flights of stairs can be a bitch. I'm of course infuriated by the whole thing - and being so old.

But I LOVE to skate.

my deep dark puck bunny confession.... I'm sure some may have suspected.....

just today even on the ride home from work....

Me.

Pair skating with...

yes... Ohhhhh yes you know it

Claude Lemieux. :saddevil:

I'm a sick woman.

my deep dark puck bunny confession.... I'm sure some may have suspected.....

just today even on the ride home from work....

Me.

Pair skating with...

yes... Ohhhhh yes you know it

Claude Lemieux. :saddevil:

I'm a sick woman.

Either you're subconscious is that of a puck bunny harlot, cheating on Stevens with a man not afraid to go to the box for high-sticking ( :uni: ) or this is just a ploy to get Stevens' lawyers to ease up on the restraining order they're undoubtedly working on. Can't decide which one. Mainly, I just like using the word "harlot". And "jezebel". You puck bunny jezebel!

I used to play college hockey. A few years back I decided to play again at Chelsea Piers on their Friday night pick-up leagues and spent close to $2,500 on new equipment including skates.

Worth the investment.

Played there several times many years back, great rink and in NYC, If I remember correctly it was Friday nights also back then for pick up.

Also played pick up in the Cement Box called Fritz Dietl's in Westwood, one big box half the size of a reg rink with cement walls and 2 swinging doors to get out on the ice, we use to have a blast there.. Then there was also Sport O Rama in Monsey NY did my league playing there.

I still skate but way to many knee surgery's to give it my all, it Hurts to get Old!!! lol

Edited by Devs1965

Been ice skating since I was like 4, on a pond that is. So yea, pond hockey since I was super young. Mainly roller hockey in the HS/College (Rutgers Cook Rink!) years and now that I have a job I joined a Beer League for ice hockey in MI. Damn there's a lot of talent in MI.

Ice Hockey > Roller Hockey imho.

I used to play college hockey. A few years back I decided to play again at Chelsea Piers on their Friday night pick-up leagues and spent close to $2,500 on new equipment including skates.

Worth the investment.

What the fvck did you buy for that much? Are you a goalie?

For anyone that is just doing pick-up games/league this should be your friend: http://www.hockeymonkey.com/clearance.html

I wish my parents had gotten me into hockey when I was younger, but unfortunately my town doesn't have a hockey rink, let alone a rec program. I didn't even become a bonafide hockey fan until I was a teenager, and really couldn't afford to get into it. Until I have a regular income (now in college) I simply can't afford to get into hockey for real yet. I'm looking forward to when I can.

For the record, I can skate marginally, but I can't skate backwards or hockey stop, so take that for what it's worth.

This pretty much sums up my situation word-for-word...scary, haha

my parents could never afford the price of youth hockey, so i never played when i was younger. now im 23 with my own income and i want to learn it badly. i have purchased a full set of equipment and skate when i can, but i only just graduated college so i haven't had the time to really do it, seeing as how i went to school during the day and work 7 days a week. hopefully i can land a "real" job soon and have a little time to pick it up. i really wish there was late night skating, its the only time im free but all the rinks are closed, understandably, but still

Played at Willie P eons ago, when it was still a college and not a U. (We are impressive these days!)

Played roller up into my thirties. Been a long time since I played any organized hockey.

I miss pickup games more than anything though. Don't know if my knees could hold up either way.

24/7 made me miss it all alot! Love the locker room.

Edited by John Wensink
  • Like 1

Grew-up in Monmouth County pre-rink building boom. Learned how to skate living in New England and I now play recreation hockey in a "1-800-ISUCK" League in the DC area. Problem with the DC area is the leagues are full of transient high school hero types from the Northeast and Great Lakes trying to relive their JV hockey moments at BC High, Fairfield Prep, and Eden Prarrie.

I'm a hockey player. Defense. Lots of backward skating.

That's how I fell on my ass :rant: I'd rather skate backward than forward. The ice SUCKED.... what's with these kids not smoothing it all out -shoveling off too late after the snow has pitted the ice surface. Kids <_<

I can't run on the ice. STILL -- 10 years ago I remember bitching to you all about it. I need to skate more. I hate sucking :(

AWESOME Chi! Did you bulk up enough :P

mdsieve - New England rocks for pond hockey. Not like St Paul where I had my sisters double runners, but close!! My high school kicked Fairfield's ass in last years states :P I might make the trip up this year to see if they can threepeat!!

Edited by Pepperkorn