Photo

What was the best trade in Devils history?

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#41 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,975 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:44 AM

Hmm, no love for Zidlickly for el garbo? Foster, Palmieri, Velluix and a pick?

#42 roomtemp

roomtemp

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:30 PM

Honestly I'd like that trade better if Palmieri or the pick wasn't there.

#43 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:13 PM

Great trade, in my opinion. He wasn't much of a force during Kings series but really did his thing the first few rounds. Can't wait to see how he welds himself even further to the Devils style of play this season.

#44 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,653 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:39 PM

Honestly I'd like that trade better if Palmieri or the pick wasn't there.

I'd rather keep the pick than Palmieri. He was given a ton of chances ('handed a spot', as Deboer said) and could never capitalize on it.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#45 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,315 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:16 PM

If Zidlicky can play at the same level for a few more years and re-signs at a reasonable price than it is a great trade. We always needed a defenseman like him.

But thats without the discussion of our current logjam on D and who gets a spot for the next few years.

Edited by Zubie#8, 12 December 2012 - 02:17 PM.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#46 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:30 PM

Morrison + Pederson for Alex Mogilny I would say is up there in regards to this talk of "Most important trade in the history of the New Jersey Devils". I'm shocked that wasn't mentioned yet.

Yeah I loved this trade, Mogilny made that offense so dynamic. Those were some of the most fun years to be a Devils fan.
Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#47 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,260 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:39 PM

Yeah I loved this trade, Mogilny made that offense so dynamic. Those were some of the most fun years to be a Devils fan.

This was the icing on the cake for the 2nd Cup.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#48 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:34 PM

Also, Sykora for Tverdovsky and Friesen ended up being huge.

It wasn't just Sykora for Tverdovsky and Friesen. It was:
http://www.nhltradet...Jersey_Devils/3

Devils trade
Sykora, J-F Damphousse, Mike Commodore, rights to Igor Pohanka

Ducks trade
Friesen, Tverdovsky, Maxim Balmochynykh

The Ducks under Bryan Murray then traded Commodore and J-F Damphousse for Rob Niedermayer 6 months later
http://www.nhltradet.../Commodore,Mike

This of course allowed Brian Burke after Murray resigned to sign Scott Niedermayer when he became a UFA in June 2005. So that trade is indirectly responsible for Niedermayer leaving the Devils. Maybe Murray acquires Rob with other players and picks, but the fact that he used two players who used to be in the Devils system to get Rob Niedermayer always stung me.
Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#49 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,653 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:39 PM

Mogilny was so fun to watch. It's a shame that his second run here was so forgettable.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#50 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,801 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:06 PM

This of course allowed Brian Burke after Murray resigned to sign Scott Niedermayer when he became a UFA in June 2005. So that trade is indirectly responsible for Niedermayer leaving the Devils. Maybe Murray acquires Rob with other players and picks, but the fact that he used two players who used to be in the Devils system to get Rob Niedermayer always stung me.

Posted Image

Wow...had never even considered this before.

Edited by Devilsfan118, 12 December 2012 - 04:07 PM.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#51 redruM

redruM

Hockey God

• Members
  • 6,375 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:11 PM

As much as I hated it at the time, Arnott and McKay and a 1st for Langenbrunner and Nieuwendyk.

Also, Sykora for Tverdovsky and Friesen ended up being huge.

Hated & still hate the Sykora trade... friesen was awful...

Kurvers had to be the #1 trade

Almo made Gomez great, no doubt that was a great trade...
Posted Image

2006 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2006 JHL CHAMPION!!
2005 CHAMPION of the 1st Annual NJDevs Fantasy Wrestling League!!!
2005 Finalist 1st Annual NJDEVS Fantasy Baseball League
2005 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2004 LockOut Trivia CHAMP!!!

Keeper of The original Welcome to Hell Forum, Jimmy Dowd, Brian Rolston, "Christmas Tree" Jersey's and the Original Trade Documents of the FREEZE man!!

BOM U11G Dynamite

Posted Image

#52 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,653 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:33 PM

Hated & still hate the Sykora trade... friesen was awful...

Kurvers had to be the #1 trade

Almo made Gomez great, no doubt that was a great trade...

Friesen scored some huge goals (most notably Game 7 against Ottawa and 2 in Game 7 against Anaheim), though. Sykora's time was pretty much done in Jersey, especially if the rumors that Stevens had questioned his heart were true.

#53 Brandon

Brandon

Trenton Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:35 PM

Either the Kurvers Trade:

To TOR: Tom Kurvers
To NJ: 3rd Overall (Scott Niedermayer)

or the Kovalchuk Trade:

To ATL: Johnny Oduya, Nicklas Bergfors, Patrice Cormier, NJ 1st, NJ 2nd
To NJ: Ilya Kovalchuk, Anssi Salmela, ATL 2nd (Jon Merrill)

Considering how none of what we traded has panned out for ATL/WPG, and we got both a franchise forward and a high-end defense prospect, I think you could make a real strong case that the Kovy deal is the best in Devils history.
25smul5.png

#54 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,240 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:45 PM

This was the icing on the cake for the 2nd Cup.

i wanted to look it up to make sure, but mogilny was pretty much a passenger for that playoff run. had some important goals but that run was about marty, stevens, lemieux and the A-line

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#55 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,086 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:02 AM

Although not the best Cam Janssen for Bryce Salvador worked out nicely.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#56 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,887 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:33 AM

Friesen scored some huge goals (most notably Game 7 against Ottawa and 2 in Game 7 against Anaheim), though. Sykora's time was pretty much done in Jersey, especially if the rumors that Stevens had questioned his heart were true.

. He knows, red just hates Friesen. Its kind of like the sky being blue and water being wet. :P

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#57 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,260 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:59 AM

i wanted to look it up to make sure, but mogilny was pretty much a passenger for that playoff run. had some important goals but that run was about marty, stevens, lemieux and the A-line

In the playoffs it's all about depth, having a big time scorer on your second line was a huge factor. The speed of Mogilny made matching against the Devils an defensive nightmare.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#58 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,315 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:50 AM

or the Kovalchuk Trade:

To ATL: Johnny Oduya, Nicklas Bergfors, Patrice Cormier, NJ 1st, NJ 2nd
To NJ: Ilya Kovalchuk, Anssi Salmela, ATL 2nd (Jon Merrill)

Considering how none of what we traded has panned out for ATL/WPG, and we got both a franchise forward and a high-end defense prospect, I think you could make a real strong case that the Kovy deal is the best in Devils history.

In 4-5 years it could end up as theft, 3 million bucks and forfeited draft pick included.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#59 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,068 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:08 AM

Either the Kurvers Trade:

To TOR: Tom Kurvers
To NJ: 3rd Overall (Scott Niedermayer)

Toronto was actually last overall that season for a while...they traded some youth for veterans just to avoid watching another team draft Lindros. Kurvers was actually pretty good for them his first year there...but he was always a problem in his own end.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#60 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,533 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:59 AM

In 4-5 years it could end up as theft, 3 million bucks and forfeited draft pick included.

Unless you also want to make the argument that signing Kovalchuk resulted in not re-signing Parise. That's been what TG has argued.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users