Role Call

MissionHockey

Female, 50, married 29 years as of yesterday, mother of 28 & 23 year old sons, native Texan, lifelong sports fan, also love music & books and the mountains, and I'm an Orthodox Christian. I've had the same job for 21 years. I think you could call me "stable". :D

My musical taste runs from Nanci Griffith to U2 to the Beatles to James Taylor to John Tavener to Russian Orthodox liturgical music to Bach to Operatic choruses and arias and on and on.

Hockey and baseball are my favorite sports.

Literature - too much! A few of my favorite authors are C. S. Lewis, J. R. R. Tolkien, John LeCarre, Madeleine L'Engle, Jane Austen (heavy on the Brits!), Frederica Matthewes-Green. That's it for now.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahhh, The Chronicles of Narnia! Love C.S. Lewis!

I do too. Although not as much as I used too. I think the Christian allegory that I'm aware of now turns me off slightly. But, I would still make my child read them, along with Enid Blyton.

How ironic when Lewis writes these maybe to make Christianity more palatable that instead you should find the books the worse for it. :lol:

One could say he's showing you how Christianity itself is an allegory - that it may be no different than these stories. He'd probably be bummed out that anyone would catagorically dismiss the books on the grounds they represent the very dogma he's trying to take out of the picture.

Edited by Pepperkorn

How ironic when Lewis writes these maybe to make Christianity more palatable that instead you should find the books the worse for it. :lol:

One could say he's showing you how Christianity itself is an allegory - that it may be no different than these stories. He'd probably be bummed out that anyone would catagorically dismiss the books on the grounds they represent the very dogma he's trying to take out of the picture.

I suppose its because I always read them as simply a good story and for their pure content. So then I discover that it's all symbolic and allegorical and I felt rather betrayed that the books I had so enjoyed as a child weren't simply written to entertain and to delight but to spread the Christian message. I felt that I had been unconconsciously brainwashed and that my fond and innocent memeories of the books had been tarnished.

Having said that, I noticed none of the Christian stuff as a child; they were simply a good read.

Well then I can tell you with pleasure, he claims he had no intention of slipping any Christian message into the Narnia series. Well that's what his buddy said anyhow. I saw a whole special on him on PBS. Very interesting guy.

This friend says that he'd argue with him saying Narnia had to be about Christianity -- but the weird thing was all the allusion I had drawn were totally different than this guys. I thought of the prince more as a Christ figure especially when he was tied up...I thought that was like crucifixion -- but this guy said the lion was Christ -- I thought of the lion more kind of like god. Made me feel like I ought to re-read the series! Really only the last book felt like it had any Christian agenda.

Anyhow -- I have no problem with someone trying to clarify their view point. I can enjoy it yet not agree with it. I don't find anyone sharing their view point, particularly in an most palatable and enjoyable way, offensive. I still don

I always saw Aslan as the Christ figure. What with getting his head shaved and sacrificing himself and all that.

The Prince to me was a throwback to the 'Divine Right of Kings'.

I don't think I think that Lewis was a manipulator as such. And now, I don't care about the Christian doodah. But it just felt at the time that the Chrisitainity was complicating an otherwise charming story. Sometimes, you just want things to be simple and uncomplicated.

Edited by ciyenne

I don't think I think that Lewis was a manipulator as such. And now, I don't care about the Christian doodah. But it just felt at the time that the Chrisitainity was complicating an otherwise charming story. Sometimes, you just want things to be simple and uncomplicated.

Yeah I can see that -- even if Lewis isn't looking to manipulate some other jerk off will use his story to! I mean I'm sure plenty of classes DO use the Narnia series in a religious context.

Well jeez -- look at history -- all of Jesus words have been used to justify a multitude of atrocities! But lets not even go there :argh:

I know if I knew there was some "message" in the text I'd have a hard time letting myself enjoy it - feeling like I was falling under some subliminal spell :lol:

Interesting conversation. Lewis most definitely wrote the Narnia series as a Christian allegory, and Aslan most definitely = Christ. I read them as a young adult already knowing that.

I prefer some of his other works, such as Mere Christianity, The Great Divorce, The Screwtape Letters, etc., which are overtly Christian.

It's also interesting that his close friend J.R.R. Tolkien greatly disliked allegory. He felt Lewis could do better as a Christian apologist if he avoided allegory. Tolkien refused to use it, and even though the LOTR books are chock full of Christian views, he steadfastly denies that he was writing allegorically or even that it was a "Christian" work. It's just that his Christian viewpoint pervades it. I think it adds to it that people can read it with or without that viewpoint, and give it their own. Sort of like U2's lyrics.

Yes Tolkein was a great one for Christianity. But his novels have so many other issues too- industrialisation, the nature of man etc. And I read then at 15-ish so I was more critical in my reading of them.

Tolkein also denied that LOTR had any allegory as regards the Soviet Union and the Cold War etc.

But, literature is a product of its age so any work is going to be full of what the writer and society at the time believes, whether the writer wills it or no.

Edited by ciyenne

It was NOT pseudo! You weren't on the short list because I forgot -- because you aren't around that much :P This is a hockey board not a chit chat board (except in the off season) We can't underrate our Hockey guys!

LOL, well Im happy with my 1400 hundred posts or so... a good amount were spent on longer messages than these type ;)

I do like reading your lushes though... quite comical at times...

I thought I remembered the nod. It was for the Hobey Baker.

Redemption.

LOL, at least I got mentioned so Im not 100% invisable...

Ill just make a good sig for next season in photoshop to snag a nomination... and maybe be a top3 again... lol, aspirarations.

Good find Don...

and thanks PK ;)

Hi!

I am 35, female and married, no kids.

Live in Essex County.

I love to cook & eat! work out, play tennis & swim, hiking & fishing, watch days of our lives.

I have loved hockey since I was a kid. NJ Devils are my favorite team...and I absolutely LOVE Marty...Just one night ;) !!! A girl can dream!!!

:wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub:

I love the NY Giants, happy to have Manning & esctatic to have collins leave!! :dance:

I dislike whiney weak women, left lane dicks. pretentious people and cigar smoke..I know I have seen Marty puffing on a stogie.

left lane dicks

I calls 'en "left lane hogs."

Oh man, with my 30,000 miles of driving in the last 18 months, I have come to DESPISE THEM WITH A PASSION. I don't get how someone can get passed on the right multiple times and still not see they're doing something wrong!!!

KEEP RIGHT PASS LEFT UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

Hi!

I am 35, female and married,  no kids.

Live in Essex County.

I love to cook & eat!  work out, play tennis & swim, hiking & fishing, watch days of our lives.

I have loved hockey since I was a kid. NJ Devils are my favorite team...and I absolutely LOVE Marty...Just one night ;) !!! A girl can dream!!!

:wub:   :wub:   :wub:   :wub:   :wub:   :wub:   :wub:

I love the NY Giants, happy to have Manning & esctatic to have collins leave!! :dance:

I dislike whiney weak women, left lane dicks. pretentious people and cigar smoke..I know I have seen Marty puffing on a stogie.

Aside from Days of our lives and the fact I hate the &*(%(*_ stupid &Y*&%_#DANGEROUS right lane knobs (you pass on the left - though I do realise the left lane dicks make that tough sometimes) see the right lane knobs will kill someone the left lane dicks are just irritating. Of course the left lane dicks do create right lane knobs -- fact is the right lane knobs need to grow up and not let their emotions rule their life/death decision! :argh: we have stuff in common!

anyhow marty'n'me sounds cool. but like you probably have better things to do than post ad nausium... bummer :saddevil:

Edited by Pepperkorn