New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

DevsFan7545

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love this quote in the interview Kovalchuk had on yahoo.com

No. I am a kind of person who never looks back. I only look to the future. There is no point feeling sorry for the past. You have to live for today and look forward to what's ahead of you. I will now play for a team that is always a contender for the Stanley Cup. It's something that I always wanted.

:cheers::burn:

http://slam.canoe.ca...4/15250286.html

How long before the New Jersey Devils regret signing Ilya Kovalchuk to a 15-year contract? One year? Five years? Five minutes? What seemed lost in all the byplay of whether his contract would be approved, whether Gary Bettman has become the nastiest commissioner in sport, whether the NHLPA actually exists, was the question of why. Why would anyone believe you can build a team around Kovalchuk? And if you believe that, as the Devils clearly do based on the $100-million US they are prepared to spend, what are you basing that belief on?

Who's building a team around Kovalchuk? The puzzle is partly put together already - Kovy is just another piece.

EDIT: I see Daniel and Triumph have done all the necessary arguing here.

All I said was if you invest 15 years in a guy, he damn well better be a cornerstone of the Franchise in that time frame

There are two ways to see a "cornerstone". You can see it as the foundation/center of the two walls - that is the rock that holds everything together. Or you can see it as a centerpiece that unites other already existing pieces.

Edited by ben00rs

No. I am a kind of person who never looks back. I only look to the future. There is no point feeling sorry for the past. You have to live for today and look forward to what's ahead of you. I will now play for a team that is always a contender for the Stanley Cup.

I'm guessing Ilya hasn't seen our playoff games in the last half decade plus. A contender we have not been.

I'm guessing Ilya hasn't seen our playoff games in the last half decade plus. A contender we have not been.

We've never historically been a playoff contender if you actually look at our teams playoff history. Since our first Stanley Cup win in 1995 we failed to make the playoffs the next year and have only been past the first round in 97, 2000, 2001, 2003, 2006, and 2007. Thats 6 out of 13 years. Of those years we got out of the first round we only ever made it past the second round three times and 2 of those times were Cup years. Our three Stanley Cups, four Wales Trophies, and what is it 9 Atlantic Div titles make our team seem more playoff succesful then they have been. The overall stat for playoff performance I think is 21 playoff series victories over 20 playoff berths. Thats not too impressive if you think about it.

Edited by thegame346

We've never historically been a playoff contender if you actually look at our teams playoff history. Since our first Stanley Cup win in 1995 we failed to make the playoffs the next year and have only been past the first round in 97, 2000, 2001, 2003, 2006, and 2007. Thats 6 out of 13 years. Of those years we got out of the first round we only ever made it past the second round three times and 2 of those times were Cup years. Our three Stanley Cups, four Wales Trophies, and what is it 9 Atlantic Div titles make our team seem more playoff succesful then they have been. The overall stat for playoff performance I think is 21 playoff series victories over 20 playoff berths. Thats not too impressive if you think about it.

I have always seen the devs as a team that picks up momentum during the playoffs, like the first round is our hardest round. Look at our SCF percentage. That percentage is pretty good. The first round for us is the hardest.

the only teams to make the playoffs every year since 2004 are the red wings and sharks. when you make the playoffs every year, you're a contender for the stanley cup.

Edited by Triumph

the only teams to make the playoffs every year since 2004 are the red wings and sharks. when you make the playoffs every year, you're a contender for the stanley cup.

That's a very, very loose definition of "contender". By your own admission, for a fair number of those years "we were not a very good team".

That's a very, very loose definition of "contender". By your own admission, for a fair number of those years "we were not a very good team".

indeed - the devils probably should have missed the playoffs in 08 - but ilya's point still stands. he's going to a team that already makes the playoffs every year, in contrast to his previous team. the addition of ilya himself should put them over the top.

Edited by Triumph

what we have been lacking since the 04 is a defender that can take care of the business in playoffs and now we have the a-train to shut down so i'm guessing this year is going to be a longer playoff run.

Agreed on Volchenkov. Everyone points to the loss of Martin, but noone says much about Volchenkov. He is a beast and in my eyes he is a much more valuable part of a cup winning team than Martin can be. In almost every game we've played the Senators over the last few years, Volchenkov made an impact to the point where I was actively aware of him throughout the game. I don't think any other team can consistently say that about Martin when playing us.

Edited by Amberite

VIA Twitter

plysenkov

"What is a contract? This is the start point. I play in NHL not because of the contract. But I try to win the Cup", - Kovalchuk said #devils

plysenkov

Just spoke with Kovalchuk. Tomorrow a big interview in the "Sovietsky sport". A few moments ... He returned Sept. 12 in the U.S.. #devils

plysenkov

He's going to play for "New Jersey" all 15 years (not 10). And does not exclude that can play in KHL (if lockout in NHL).

I don't think you can really compare Martin and Volchenkov they play completely two different games. I think very highly of Martin, and we need a guy with his skills - the same way we needed a guy with Volchenkov's skills. If there had been a way to keep both - would have been tremendous. We filled one hole, but we did open up another letting Martin go.

Let's only hope before the playoffs we can figure that out, because I think this team is pretty close, but we need a puck moving defenseman. Hard to get. But ya never know.

VIA Twitter

plysenkov

"What is a contract? This is the start point. I play in NHL not because of the contract. But I try to win the Cup", - Kovalchuk said #devils

plysenkov

Just spoke with Kovalchuk. Tomorrow a big interview in the "Sovietsky sport". A few moments ... He returned Sept. 12 in the U.S.. #devils

plysenkov

He's going to play for "New Jersey" all 15 years (not 10). And does not exclude that can play in KHL (if lockout in NHL).

I like this quote too :cheers:

I don't think you can really compare Martin and Volchenkov they play completely two different games. I think very highly of Martin, and we need a guy with his skills - the same way we needed a guy with Volchenkov's skills. If there had been a way to keep both - would have been tremendous. We filled one hole, but we did open up another letting Martin go.

Let's only hope before the playoffs we can figure that out, because I think this team is pretty close, but we need a puck moving defenseman. Hard to get. But ya never know.

while i obviously agree about martin, people are still unable to tell me what a puck moving defenseman is. i haven't seen that much of tallinder, but i don't see why he can't replicate what martin does in the defensive zone.

this has to be the biggest bandwith eater ever, and its all worth it, Kovyyyyy ftw!

Edited by Middlesex

while i obviously agree about martin, people are still unable to tell me what a puck moving defenseman is. i haven't seen that much of tallinder, but i don't see why he can't replicate what martin does in the defensive zone.

Pretty much explains itself. What's not to understand? :noclue:

A puck moving defensemen can make a good first pass out of the defensive zone feeding it to the forwards moving out, starting a rush up the ice or hit players in stride breaking up ice from his own defensive end (especially since there's no two line pass rule and the Devils have players like Parise and Kovalchuk who this fits). He can also move the puck himself out of his zone by skating it out and joining the attack up ice. Hence, "puck moving".

Tallinder is not Paul Martin in terms of the above, even though Martin never seemed to use that skill set often enough (the goal on Retro Night is an example of what Martin can do, but never did/tried enough). Tallinder, IMO, is a smarter player who will probably make less mistakes with the puck clearing it and making passes in his own zone and he'll make a good first pass out. If he's signed to jump start rushes out of the zone or to join the play, this will be a total bust.

Edited by SJP20

Martin's offensive capabilities are quite overrated. He gets played 24-25min per night and is specifically relied upon and given every opportunity to produce offense (PP time, etc). Even with that, he can only be relied upon to produce ~30 points per season. So let's be realistic here - Martin is not some offensive juggernaut. I believe Greene can continue to produce offensively, and if Urbom pans out, he has some pretty high offensive upside as well.

On the other hand, Volchenkov's ability to block shots and lay some pounding hits on the opposing team's top players are leagues beyond anything Martin contributes on the defensive side of things. Coupled with Tallinder's respectable, if not great, offensive capabilities, and our defense is much improved.