USA Soccer

Devils Pride 26

How many more points do they need to qualify for the world cup?

It's not a set number of points. The top 3 teams in the group are in, the 4th place team is in a play in with a South American team. Whoever comes out of South America's gonna be good, so we really want to finish in the top 3. Right now the US and Honduras are tied with 13 points, though Honduras is destroying us on goal differential, which is the tie break. Mexico and Costa Rica have 12 points each. We have 3 more games -- a must win road game at Trinidad and Tobago followed by home games against Honduras and Costa Rica. Considering how well Mexico's playing right now, I'd say we need 4 points (win and tie) in those 2 games.

Well, the ref who made that call was Honduran. Honduras is basically in a dead heat with us. I don't know that he took the calls away from us intentionally, but putting refs with vested interests in the outcome is just fvcking stupid.

Thats Concacaf for you -- worst confederation ever..:rant:

It's not a set number of points. The top 3 teams in the group are in, the 4th place team is in a play in with a South American team. Whoever comes out of South America's gonna be good, so we really want to finish in the top 3. Right now the US and Honduras are tied with 13 points, though Honduras is destroying us on goal differential, which is the tie break. Mexico and Costa Rica have 12 points each. We have 3 more games -- a must win road game at Trinidad and Tobago followed by home games against Honduras and Costa Rica. Considering how well Mexico's playing right now, I'd say we need 4 points (win and tie) in those 2 games.

Oo got it.

USA 1 T&T 0

wow - what a horrible game - US has fallen hard since Confd Cup ~~ if this is our best 11 then we got serious issues

Im not convinced by bradley...

a loss to Mexico in Azteca where the US actually played half-way decent considering their history, and wins against El Salvador and T&T.

the US has found ways to win games it probably didn't deserve to win.

Ugly win, but I think we'll take it and hope the US was just looking forward to the Honduras matchup. According to ESPN, we qualify with a win over Honduras, so here's to bringing the best game we can.

Yeah - I dont think qualifying was our only goal though

.. mexico wins again at azteca very unconvincingly - I blame ussoccer for their resurgence, 2 months ago they would have lost that game.

Yeah - I dont think qualifying was our only goal though

.. mexico wins again at azteca very unconvincingly - I blame ussoccer for their resurgence, 2 months ago they would have lost that game.

Then what was? Winning it all? Well we'll be first in points if we win both of our own matches...can't ask for a better position right now, as we control our own destiny. We need the Honduras game right now, and I really hope we play like it, unlike the way we played against T&T.

If it was about the lack of quality of the T&T game, well, I guess everyone has their stinker games, and here's to hoping this wildly inconsistent US team can get in and get it together for the Cup in 2010

Then what was? Winning it all? Well we'll be first in points if we win both of our own matches...can't ask for a better position right now, as we control our own destiny. We need the Honduras game right now, and I really hope we play like it, unlike the way we played against T&T.

If it was about the lack of quality of the T&T game, well, I guess everyone has their stinker games, and here's to hoping this wildly inconsistent US team can get in and get it together for the Cup in 2010

Value if you think qualifying was the goal in 6 team tourney which 4 make it thru with the likes of T&T and El S then you havent been watching the preliminary round or much of Concacaf soccer.

The T&T game was only the latest of a string of subpar games the team has played ~ the truth is that this team is a huge step down to previous versions, it may be enough to squeeze (mexico not included) by these teams but when they face REAL opponents they and bradley will be exposed.

We have 3 more games -- a must win road game at Trinidad and Tobago followed by home games against Honduras and Costa Rica.

In fairness, the Costa Rica game is in DC, but the Honduras game is in Honduras.

I wont be surprised to lose to Honduras considering, but we should beat Costa Rica at home. That will be a helluva game. Hoping it doesn't come down to a win or die (playoff) game though. Beat Honduras and we've clinched. I think it will be possible to clinch with a draw since Honduras lost yesterday, but Ive not looked at the table recently.

Going by what this team has done of late, Costa Rica will be the decider most likely. I'll be there, but I'd rather we have clinched already.

Value if you think qualifying was the goal in 6 team tourney which 4 make it thru with the likes of T&T and El S then you havent been watching the preliminary round or much of Concacaf soccer.

The T&T game was only the latest of a string of subpar games the team has played ~ the truth is that this team is a huge step down to previous versions, it may be enough to squeeze (mexico not included) by these teams but when they face REAL opponents they and bradley will be exposed.

It's almost a year to the 2010 World Cup, doesn't matter how they look now, any more than it did in the Confed Cup. Just get in, they don't give you extra for finishing first here.

Besides I never thought they were that good anyway, fluke week in the Confed Cup aside.

Edited by Hasan4978

It's almost a year to the 2010 World Cup, doesn't matter how they look now, any more than it did in the Confed Cup. Just get in, they don't give you extra for finishing first here.

Besides I never thought they were that good anyway, fluke week in the Confed Cup aside.

Have you seen our B team? you cant build a new team in a year, this is pretty much it.

The confed was a fluke but it also showed how far away they are (see ownage loses to italy and brazil for that)

Winning the group gives you the chance to be head of a group in 2010 which is a BIG advantage so yeah finishing first matters...

In fairness, the Costa Rica game is in DC, but the Honduras game is in Honduras.

Yeah, my bad. I was gonna fix that, but then my internet died.

If we're put into the "Group of Death" again like we were in Germany, it won't even matter as there will probably be no chance of getting out of the group stage.

we had a good chance of getting out of that group. we were the ONLY team not to lose to Italy. we got royally screwed against Ghana too, because we had all the momentum after Dempsey tied it up and then the ref gives Ghana a PK on a dive. the US couldnt recover.

we had a good chance of getting out of that group. we were the ONLY team not to lose to Italy. we got royally screwed against Ghana too, because we had all the momentum after Dempsey tied it up and then the ref gives Ghana a PK on a dive. the US couldnt recover.

Chances schmances. We didn't get out of it. It was the group of death and we were the sacrificial lamb.

If we're in a group with a strong African squad, one of Europe's perennial bests, and another halfway decent European squad again, we will not get out of the group....again.

Our finish in this qualifying is tantamount to our success in South Africa. Anything can happen in the knockout stages, but getting there is entirely dependent on our group.

Luckily theres a year to better our game, but outside of Jozy, who is emerging as a real threat up front, this team is still treading water when it comes to international competition. The CONFED Cup showing was nice, but no one takes that seriously anyway.

• 4 weeks later...