Fire DeBoer Thread

Daniel

More and more people are begging for it. Me, I'm not quite there yet. He's done a lot with a team that can't score goals. He was not as sentimental with Marty as a lot of people expected.

There's the player development issue, but I think it's a little overblown myself. He played Henrique consistently as a rookie, and Larsson as well until he got hurt. And when Larsson came back he was dreadful for certain stretches.

If you think the young guys not getting playing time is a huge issue, you have to blame Lou. Fact is, DeBoer is there to put the best lineup on the ice on a particular night. And for all you Gionta haters, he's simply been better than Josefson and Loktionov. And even if not, it's not the difference between winning and losing games. And neither of those guys would have been spectacular but for DeBoer ruining their confidence. It's Lou that put Larsson in the minors, and keeps Harrold on the roster, and decided to give Salvador the captaincy and a three year deal. It's Lou that decides to give Zidlicky another year. You can hardly blame DeBoer for not scratching Salvador or Zidlicky or whoever you don't like so Larsson can play regularly.

I know feisty posted that quote on his twitter account from Kulikov about DeBoer scaring rookies. Well, the Panthers still kind of stink, and Kulikov is part of that stinkiness. So maybe he wasn't that great to start with. It happens, although than you get to the chicken and the egg problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I've wanted it at times this year, just out of pure frustration, but not so much right now.

A coaching change might help for a bit, get some fresh blood in there. But I don't really see an unmotivated team out there. They are just not good enough, and a new coach can't change that in the long run.

Ultimately, I want a coaching change. I don't know if it'll do any good this late in the year, but if DeBoer is still coaching at the start of next season I will have serious issues with that decision.

agree with those of you who are saying that changing the coach at this point isnt going to change things much.. honestly i think the team is just lacking the talent.. they have a roster of guys who go hot and cold.. the tow best forwards on the team are jagr and elias easy.. theyre antiques you cant expect them to score every night on a well balanced team with real talent they would be helpful additions but here they are depended on to be the best.. i think pete is doing the best that any coach would be able to do with the players on this roster.. we really need lou to make a trade or get some type of change on the team

Im all for it..but honestly who can we bring in? Who would want to come here knowing they will be fired in 3 years? 

Coaches don't think like that + most coaches don't coach more than 4 years in the same market anyways. They have a shelf life and that's how it is. Plus, being employed is better than not.

PDBs contract is up after this year. I dislike some of his lineups/deployment, the roster moves aren't on him and his system is excellent. The problem is that they are one or two shot generating forwards short and they have a clusterfvck of contracts on D. Neither of those are his fault.

funny, i have very little issue with pdb. he's working with the hand he's dealt and i truly believe that lou controls that roster 100% with regards to who is on it. plus, if lou wanted josefson playing (or loktionov), they'd be playing. i can tell you that the players like pdb. and that's not because he's a "players coach" who lets them get away with murder. he's not. everyone knows that this is lou's team and will be until he's gone (not that i'm advocating that).

if this team misses the playoffs this year, the fault would lie on bad shootouts that no coach can fix and an over reliance on marty which no coach could handle better than pete at this point.

i am for stability.

At this point I think firing him would admit defeat so I would give him till the end of the season. But if this team doesn't make the playoffs he needs to go. He doesn't adjust the system and gets outcoached way too often. And for a team that has trouble scoring you think he would open up the system a little more so they get more shots. I think they are in the bottom 3 in shots per game.

Lou is the one who needs to go first.  Clear out the dry-rot in management and scouting/development and then get a new coaching staff put in place.

I can't even argue on why Deboer needs to play Gionta despite my personal dislike for Gionta.  There are no better options.  Loktionov has been a sulky sourpuss since Kovalchuk left.  Josefson I still feel does not get a fair shake from Deboer, so that's debatable, but Gionta gives a bit more on his quickness and aggressive forechecking.

However Deboer's handling of the defense has been fire-worthy for a long time and he has not changed from his Florida days in terms of fitting his system around players and developing young talent.  Also, the riding of key players with excessive minutes is something of an issue too.  Deboer got lucky in our SCF run by riding Elias, Parise, Kovy.  He's doing it again with Elias, Jagr, Zajac but there's signs that Jagr is already slowing down.  He's looked like he's got cement blocks for skates the last few weeks, it's that noticeable.  Elias has been productive but he's been tiring out a LOT towards the end of games.  You do win by playing your best players the most, but Deboer needs to be more selective with the allocation of the minutes and situational usage.

While Brunner has had his struggles, he's got a legit skill-set that we desperately need more of, it's only a matter of time before he asks for a trade, if he hasn't already.

I'd like to see him get at least another season, maybe with some forwards who aren't the oldest players on the team who can consistently score for him.  And a full season with Schneider as his goalie.  Losing Parise and Kovalchuk would devastate almost any team.

Some of this has to come on Lou also.  I love Lou, but the Devils haven't seemed to draft very well and this is when it shows.

Edited by xxchaznjxx

Is this a joke thread? 

DeBoer has done a great job with a hodgepodge of 2nd and 3rd tier types of older, slower players and inexperience kids.    We had cap issues before this year and Lou did a great job signing Clowe, Ryder and Jagr on the cheap.    Deboer has the team competitive despite not having a consistent core group of players on defense.     Without Deboer we would be the worst team in the league.

Is this a joke thread? 

DeBoer has done a great job with a hodgepodge of 2nd and 3rd tier types of older, slower players and inexperience kids.    We had cap issues before this year and Lou did a great job signing Clowe, Ryder and Jagr on the cheap.    Deboer has the team competitive despite not having a consistent core group of players on defense.     Without Deboer we would be the worst team in the league.

I agree

I'm with Manta on this one.  This rag-tag team is actually over .500???!!!  Let the young 'uns play.  Just because Lou refuses to call it rebuilding, doesn't mean it's not rebuilding.  Breaks my heart when they lose but I still feel something good is going on around here.

You say it's a rebuilding and yet you want Pete here for that? Does not compute. I'm under the impression that we are rebuilding as well and that's the main reason I want Pete gone. He has shown time and time again that he can't handle young players. If this is going to turn into the rebuilding it needs to be, he has to go before he ruins every young player we have to the point of no return.

This team isn't rebuilding, it's in that denial stage where it thinks it's a few pieces away from being real good, but in reality it's and old team that is on its last legs. You can't patchwork fix a team with old free agents, just doesn't work.

This is not what rebuilding looks like. And unfortunately this team probably does need a true rebuild with a few years of draft lottery, years of drafting in the later parts of rounds has taken its toll. The same thing is going on with Detroit.

This team has such a culture of winning that we seem to push through and make do with way less, a rebuild might change this which sucks, sucking for any length of time saps the winners mentality out of the locker room. That's IMO the best asset the team has, and has had for many years,

Edited by Sneax

Here's my thing about DeBoer- I know I bitch about him a lot. But I actually do think he's a good hockey coach. The players have not quit on him. They play for him. I'm not completely convinced he should be fired YET, although my frustration gets the best of me after games like last night. Its his lineup decisions that are giving me grey hairs. I just don't know what he sees with some of his decisions on who to play and how much ice time they should get (Gionta and Sal come immediately to mind). And I like Gionta too, I don't mean to rip on him as much as I do- but he's nothing more than a fourth line plug, and Pete thinks he's his brother sometimes. Drives me insane. That's my conflict on Pete- good coach and I like him personally, but sh!tty with young players, and makes bone-headed line-up decisions.

• Like 1

All I'll say is this

Plenty of Devils coaches have done better and still gotten canned. It is odd how Lou has stuck with Deboer when Robinson and Julien got fired for reasons most of us still don't understand.

He did have the Cup run...but he's also likely going to miss the playoff consecutive years

• Like 1

Is this a joke thread?

DeBoer has done a great job with a hodgepodge of 2nd and 3rd tier types of older, slower players and inexperience kids. We had cap issues before this year and Lou did a great job signing Clowe, Ryder and Jagr on the cheap. Deboer has the team competitive despite not having a consistent core group of players on defense. Without Deboer we would be the worst team in the league.

Not a joke. Like I said, I don't think he should be, but more and more people are saying the opposite. It's gets thrown into every other thread, so I figured it made sense to start something where it can all be discussed in one plac.

Not a joke. Like I said, I don't think he should be, but more and more people are saying the opposite. It's gets thrown into every other thread, so I figured it made sense to start something where it can all be discussed in one plac.

If that's the case, then thanks for starting this topic, Daniel.    But, I haven't seen anyone make the case to fire him yet in this thread.    

A lot of moaning and groaning, but nothing concrete.     For those of you that think Deboer needs to go, I have one name for you:  John Maclean

All I'll say is this

Plenty of Devils coaches have done better and still gotten canned. It is odd how Lou has stuck with Deboer when Robinson and Julien got fired for reasons most of us still don't understand.

He did have the Cup run...but he's also likely going to miss the playoff consecutive years

Never understood the Julien firing myself.

He is may not make the playoffs for consecutive years, but he also has been hamstrung with a mediocre line-up that plays hard, but lacks the talent.