Devils Playoffs Flashback: 1997 1st Round

devilsrule33

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That Montreal series was fun. Other than the Marty goal, for some reason this goal always pops into my head from that series... Just a mad scramble and Dean streaks in from the point to nudge the rebound in while Theodore can't quite reach it.

Edited by Devil Dan 56

I still miss Bob Arsena.

What I remember about the Marty goal...I was also in 223 and watching the video you can see a ton of people left early and missed it, because unusually all our first round games that season were sellouts.  A friend of mine was a few rows below me and I saw him duck out because his girlfriend wanted to leave since she lived down the shore.  To this day he claims to have seen it but I know better.

From Doc's call, he never mentioned the net was empty till Marty actually shot the puck.  The CBC just does a much better job covering the action.

I'll throw it in here since I discussed the deal in the opening post. Was amazing how much depth their was in the Devils organization at the time that the Devils could deal Sullivan, Smith and McCauley and not even blink an eye. It was actually a really nice return for the Leafs. McCauley was only drafted in the 4th round, but was becoming a very highly regarded prospect. I've heard things that he was never expected to sign with the Devils though. Is that true?

Sullivan and Smith were starting to become solid regulars in the NHL. That was a really nice deal for Toronto. Hilariously, Quinn and Sullivan never saw eye to eye, and he was waived.after a 20-20-40 season in just 63 games. The Leafs traded Smith for a 2nd round pick. McCauley had major concussion issues that really ruined what could have been a nice deal.

But in the end, you saw there were slightly past their prime players in NJ like Andreychuk and Thomas, but there was Sykora and Elias ready to step in. You could deal a McCauley because you had a Morrison and a Sullivan because of Elias and Sykora They'd hit a 1st round pick out of the park in Gomez the following a year and signed Madden, so you felt okay dealing Morrison (who was playing very well) for Mogilny. 

With Smith it was fine because you had cornerstones in place, and there was White in the minors along with Mitchell and Souray among others that eventually played some games in the NHL. Then they sign Rafalski. 

Lou and Conte used to be damn good at what they did.

Edit: Did Morrison want out? I forget the details on that.

Edited by devilsrule33

I'll throw it in here since I discussed the deal in the opening post. Was amazing how much depth their was in the Devils organization at the time that the Devils could deal Sullivan, Smith and McCauley and not even blink an eye. It was actually a really nice return for the Leafs. McCauley was only drafted in the 4th round, but was becoming a very highly regarded prospect. I've heard things that he was never expected to sign with the Devils though. Is that true?

Sullivan and Smith were starting to become solid regulars in the NHL. That was a really nice deal for Toronto. Hilariously, Quinn and the Leafs never saw eye to eye, and he was waived.after a 20-20-40 season in just 63 games. The Leafs traded Smith for a 2nd round pick. McCauley had major concussion issues that really ruined what could have been a nice deal.

But in the end, you saw there were slightly past their prime players in NJ like Andreychuk and Thomas, but there was Sykora and Elias ready to step in. You could deal a McCauley because you had a Morrison and a Sullivan because of Elias and Sykora They'd hit a 1st round pick out of the park in Gomez the following a year and signed Madden, so you felt okay dealing Morrison (who was playing very well) for Mogilny. 

With Smith it was fine because you had cornerstones in place, and there was White in the minors along with Mitchell and Souray among others that eventually played some games in the NHL. Then they sign Rafalski. 

Lou and Conte used to be damn good at what they did.

Edit: Did Morrison want out? I forget the details on that.

mcCauley was pretty highly rated when they dealt him, but yes, there was talk that he wouldn't sign with NJ.

Morrison, if i remember correctly, had salary issues from the get go but that was back when you were an indentured servant and had absolutely no leg to stand on. i don't think the devils were just looking to move him. i mean, he went (with pederson) for mogilny.

I imagine Brendan Morrison was none too happy having to play in Albany for almost an entire year.  Sometimes I'm glad I was ignorant back then, because something like Bobby Carpenter playing 15 minutes a game while Morrison crushed the minors would've been unconscionable.

I imagine Brendan Morrison was none too happy having to play in Albany for almost an entire year.  Sometimes I'm glad I was ignorant back then, because something like Bobby Carpenter playing 15 minutes a game while Morrison crushed the minors would've been unconscionable.

Maybe it was more amazing that Bobby Carpenter scored 50 goals (and based on his career, it's probably that)...but I think it is amazing that Bobby Carpenter scored 50 goals at one point in his career, and later played 353 games as a Devil from age 30-35 and scored 35 goals. I don't care what the role was..

Edited by devilsrule33

didn't morrison hold out at one point too? i remember being really excited to have him in the organization up until that point. he seemed pretty sh!t listed when it was all said and done. but damn, that mogilny deal was huge. loved having him the first time around.

It seemed exciting to have ALEXANDER MOGILNY!, but the Devils went to back-to-back finals with him being nothing more than a passenger.

Maybe it was more amazing that Bobby Carpenter scored 50 goals (and based on his career, it's probably that)...but I think it is amazing that Bobby Carpenter scored 50 goals at one point in his career, and later played 353 games as a Devil from age 30-35 and scored 35 goals. I don't care what the role was..

There's a few other guys who had careers like this, though none are coming to mind.  Joey Juneau wasn't as good for as long as Carpenter but his career went similarly.

It seemed exciting to have ALEXANDER MOGILNY!, but the Devils went to back-to-back finals with him being nothing more than a passenger.

Mogilny was not a passenger in 2001, he had 16 points playing 2nd PP unit and 2nd line.  He also ran awful in both playoff seasons.

Almo & Gomez were probably the best 2nd line in the NHL, to go along w/ the A Line which was the best 1st line for a while, still have no idea how we lost in 2001, was the best Devils team i have seen.

Agreed. I'll take 2001 to my grave. I still can't watch game 7 when they replay it on NHL Network. Game 6 is the worst game I've ever attended in person in my life. I felt physically ill leaving the building that night.

Agreed. I'll take 2001 to my grave. I still can't watch game 7 when they replay it on NHL Network. Game 6 is the worst game I've ever attended in person in my life. I felt physically ill leaving the building that night.

Out of all the big playoff failures the Devils have endured (94, 2001, 2009, 2012), Games 6 and 7 still hurt the most.  For me personally, that loss to Colorado hurts more than losing to the Rags in 94.  I too as at Game 6 in 2001 and I remember walking out knowing that the Devils were not going to win game 7.  No way in hell.  I have never seen a team within 1 win of the cup play with so little fire and passion in my entire life and it happened for 2 games in a row.  It almost seemed as though they walked into game 6 assuming they were just going to win it and not put any emotion or will into it.  I remember hearing stories about the limo's being parked outside of CAA before that game and they were preparing the locker room for the celebration even before the game started.  If that's true then the Devils really got caught up in the old saying of counting their chickens before they hatched.  That was also the year Marty struggled and it showed immensely in those 2 games.  2 of the goals in game 7 were complete garbage.

Also to anyone who still wishes that Gary Thorne to come back and be the PbP announcer for the Devils, just re-watch the entire SCF series in 2001.  His complete ass-kissing of the Avs is beyond epic and still makes my blood boil to this day.

Edited by DevsMan84

DM84, a lot of that ass-kissing had to do with Ray Bourque I think.  Seemed like everyone who wasn't a Devils fan wanted the Avs to win the Cup based on that, more than anything else.  And even though the Devils had scored 295 goals that season to lead the league, and had been good offensively prior, they were still seen by so many as this low-scoring, boring trap team that clutched and grabbed and could only win games 2-1...they were the bad guys.

Anyway, not to get into the Rangers-Devils series, but what made that series so hard to take was how GOOD the Devils looked against the Canadiens.  They were scoring like crazy, after getting a nice boost in the regular season from the Gilmour deal (I remember John Davidson was doing an interview on the WFAN, then said "Oh BTW, the Devils just got Doug Gilmour..."  I was beyond thrilled).  It was just such a contrast, from looking so good offensively to suddenly having so much trouble putting the puck in the net...and of course, all of the disallowed goals... 

I know the Canadiens weren't very good in '97, but the Devils really were fun to watch in that series.  Brodeur's goal made it even more so.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

DM84, a lot of that ass-kissing had to do with Ray Bourque I think.  Seemed like everyone who wasn't a Devils fan wanted the Avs to win the Cup based on that, more than anything else.  And even though the Devils had scored 295 goals that season to lead the league, and had been good offensively prior, they were still seen by so many as this low-scoring, boring trap team that clutched and grabbed and could only win games 2-1...they were the bad guys.

Anyway, not to get into the Rangers-Devils series, but what made that series so hard to take was how GOOD the Devils looked against the Canadiens.  They were scoring like crazy, after getting a nice boost in the regular season from the Gilmour deal (I remember John Davidson was doing an interview on the WFAN, then said "Oh BTW, the Devils just got Doug Gilmour..."  I was beyond thrilled).  It was just such a contrast, from looking so good offensively to suddenly having so much trouble putting the puck in the net...and of course, all of the disallowed goals... 

I know the Canadiens weren't very good in '97, but the Devils really were fun to watch in that series.  Brodeur's goal made it even more so.

There was Ray Pork (I never liked him), but Thorne went above and beyond even with the rest of the team, especially with Sakic and Roy.  I know they were the President's cup winning team that year, but it was so out of control from Gary that I was worried if Sakic ever came to a sudden stop that Thorne's head would be halfway up his ass.  Also, maybe I am reading too much into this, but also listen to that call of the goal from Friesen in game 7 in 2003 against Ottawa.  I have never heard a supposed neutral announcer wanting a goal to not count as much as him on that call.

There was Ray Pork (I never liked him), but Thorne went above and beyond even with the rest of the team, especially with Sakic and Roy.  I know they were the President's cup winning team that year, but it was so out of control from Gary that I was worried if Sakic ever came to a sudden stop that Thorne's head would be halfway up his ass.  Also, maybe I am reading too much into this, but also listen to that call of the goal from Friesen in game 7 in 2003 against Ottawa.  I have never heard a supposed neutral announcer wanting a goal to not count as much as him on that call.

I don't think Thorne hated the Devils (maybe he did, but I wouldn't say from the job he did on air).

The goal of ABC was to heavily promote the Avalanche and their players. He followed along with that. 

As for the goal call in 2003...that's an all-time screw up by him, but just nothing more than an embarrassing error in a huge spot.

Edited by devilsrule33

Out of all the big playoff failures the Devils have endured (94, 2001, 2009, 2012), Games 6 and 7 still hurt the most. For me personally, that loss to Colorado hurts more than losing to the Rags in 94. I too as at Game 6 in 2001 and I remember walking out knowing that the Devils were not going to win game 7. No way in hell. I have never seen a team within 1 win of the cup play with so little fire and passion in my entire life and it happened for 2 games in a row. It almost seemed as though they walked into game 6 assuming they were just going to win it and not put any emotion or will into it. I remember hearing stories about the limo's being parked outside of CAA before that game and they were preparing the locker room for the celebration even before the game started. If that's true then the Devils really got caught up in the old saying of counting their chickens before they hatched. That was also the year Marty struggled and it showed immensely in those 2 games. 2 of the goals in game 7 were complete garbage.

Also to anyone who still wishes that Gary Thorne to come back and be the PbP announcer for the Devils, just re-watch the entire SCF series in 2001. His complete ass-kissing of the Avs is beyond epic and still makes my blood boil to this day.

'94 used to be worse for me, but 2012 made up for 'unfinished business' when it comes to the d-bags across the river. 2001 will haunt me forever. I absolutely hate the fact that that team thought they had it in the bag and quit after the Gomez goal was waved off. Larry needed to pull another trash can tantrum that night. I've never been more furious with a Devils team than I was that year. Colorado didn't win that series- we lost it. Period.

I don't think Thorne hated the Devils (maybe he did, but I wouldn't say from the job he did on air).

The goal of ABC was to heavily promote the Avalanche and their players. He followed along with that. 

As for the goal call in 2003...that's an all-time screw up by him, but just nothing more than an embarrassing error in a huge spot.

Outside of Ray Pork on the verge of retiring and it being his last shot, what other reasons would ABC want Colorado over the Devils?  Because they were the sexier choice?

As for that 2003 call, the correct thing would be for him was to shut up and not say anything for 1-2 seconds before making the call.  He said for a good 5 seconds that it was not a goal.  What was he basing it on?  The friggin goal light not coming on.

He really did not want that to be a goal.

'94 used to be worse for me, but 2012 made up for 'unfinished business' when it comes to the d-bags across the river. 2001 will haunt me forever. I absolutely hate the fact that that team thought they had it in the bag and quit after the Gomez goal was waved off. Larry needed to pull another trash can tantrum that night. I've never been more furious with a Devils team than I was that year. Colorado didn't win that series- we lost it. Period.

100% agree.  Devils getting cocky plus Marty sh!tting the bed (again he had an off-year that entire season) contributed to that mess.  I remember the look of shock the Devils had after game 7 was over and the Avs players were celebrating.  They really thought they would just coast to the cup that year.

Outside of Ray Pork on the verge of retiring and it being his last shot, what other reasons would ABC want Colorado over the Devils? Because they were the sexier choice?

As for that 2003 call, the correct thing would be for him was to shut up and not say anything for 1-2 seconds before making the call. He said for a good 5 seconds that it was not a goal. What was he basing it on? The friggin goal light not coming on.

He really did not want that to be a goal.

100% agree. Devils getting cocky plus Marty sh!tting the bed (again he had an off-year that entire season) contributed to that mess. I remember the look of shock the Devils had after game 7 was over and the Avs players were celebrating. They really thought they would just coast to the cup that year.

I put that on the leadership of the team. A team with as much veteran experience as that one that had a core that had won two Cups should've known better than to think they'd be coasting to anything. But that team had issues all playoffs (except the ECF)- they fvcked around with Carolina and Toronto and almost got burned twice. I think that Pittsburgh series gave them a false sense of security. Game 1 against Colorado should've been the final fvcking wake-up call.

94 will probably always hurt me more as it was the Rags, but in 2001 I reallythought we were the best team, and felt like MArty let us down, I expected such a huge series from him and he was not up to the task.

And it did seem like NJ layed for the Avs the last 2 games... so frustrating...