MSG Being Knocked Down in 10 years?

DH26

I'll file this under believe it when I see it, but NYC is saying they're gonna knock down MSG and the Knicks/Rangers have to be out in 10 years so they can rebuild Penn Station and make it look like Grand Central like it used to before MSG was there.

I imagine Dolan's not a fan after his 100m renovations, but it's a dump and Penn Station's practically a third world country right now

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2013/07/25/madison-square-garden-new-york-knicks-rangers-penn-station/2585787/

I'll file this under believe it when I see it, but NYC is saying they're gonna knock down MSG and the Knicks/Rangers have to be out in 10 years so they can rebuild Penn Station and make it look like Grand Central like it used to before MSG was there.

I imagine Dolan's not a fan after his 100m renovations, but it's a dump and Penn Station's practically a third world country right now

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2013/07/25/madison-square-garden-new-york-knicks-rangers-penn-station/2585787/

The current Penn Station might not be pretty, but it serves its purpose.  To try to re-create the old Penn Station like it used to be is foolish and a clear battle with nostalgic preservationists against an arena that is pretty much funneling tons of money in that area.  The old Penn Station was barely used and a complete dump before it was knocked down to make way for MSG.

I mean are there calls for the original Waldorf-Astoria hotel to be rebuilt in its original location?  Nope.  I guess part of it has to do do with the Empire State Building currently occupying that space yet no one is calling for that to be demolished to have the hotel rebuilt.

For MSG it is a bunch of loony, nostalgic idiots whose only beef against MSG is that it is "ugly" when in fact it serves its purpose quite well and creates business in the area.

Ha, this reminds me of Bayonne! They knocked down a burger king to build a new lightrail stop and make it look like the old train station stop that used to be there.

I miss that burger king :(

Are you talking about the 8th street station? I briefly lived in Bayonne last year on 12th and used that station to get to work. My condolences to the fallen Whoppers =(

Edited by Aznjsn

MSG put $800 million into renovating the Garden.  There is no way they are going to tear it down in 10 years without a decades long legal fight.  If they actually did, my cable bill would go up ten fold, but it might be worth the laugh. 

NYC is still pissed that MSG pulled out of the plan to renovate the nearby post office building into a new MSG, on top of the fact that they don't pay taxes to the city on the arena based upon a deal dating back to the early 80's I believe, when the owners of the Knicks and Rangers threatened a move to the Meadowlands.  Look for a deal to be struck where MSG starts paying taxes on the land the Garden sits on in exchange for their perpetual lease.  I'm not sure about the engineering complications, but I don't see why the train lines can't be extended to the old Farley Post Office building located next to the Garden, which could potentially serve as the new Penn Station (already has great exterior architecture and is a huge building that is largely dormant at present).

http://www.nytimes.com/1981/11/07/sports/2-nhl-owners-say-rangers-may-move-to-new-jersey-in-82.html

NYC taxpayers are going to take it in the rear. If they want the Knicks and Rangers to stay in NYC, the taxpayer is going to have to kick in about $2 billion at least to build a new MSG. Cablevision is still a public company, and no matter how profitable the Rangers and Knicks are, the cost to buy the real estate in Manhattan and build a new arena from scratch without taxpayr money is way too high to be feasible. Unless they plan on building a new MSG in Harlem or one of the boroughs.

Whatever, the ultimate revenge will be the Rags and Knicks having to play all of their home games in the Rock, Izod or Barclays.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

NYC taxpayers are going to take it in the rear. If they want the Knicks and Rangers to stay in NYC, the taxpayer is going to have to kick in about $2 billion at least to build a new MSG. Cablevision is still a public company, and no matter how profitable the Rangers and Knicks are, the cost to buy the real estate in Manhattan and build a new arena from scratch without taxpayr money is way too high to be feasible. Unless they plan on building a new MSG in Harlem or one of the boroughs. Whatever, the ultimate revenge will be the Rags and Knicks having to play all of their home games in the Rock, Izod or Barclays. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'm w/ Chuck. I think this is just a play by NYC to get more out of Cablevision and then build the new Penn Station somewhere else next door. It just seems inefficient to knock down MSG after they renovated it (as far as I know) privately. Worst case, in the meantime, you build underground tunnels to the existing train lines like they're doing at the Fulton Center by the WTC where hardly any of the lines are actually at the station

I'm w/ Chuck. I think this is just a play by NYC to get more out of Cablevision and then build the new Penn Station somewhere else next door. It just seems inefficient to knock down MSG after they renovated it (as far as I know) privately. Worst case, in the meantime, you build underground tunnels to the existing train lines like they're doing at the Fulton Center by the WTC where hardly any of the lines are actually at the station

If Christine Quinn is the next mayor, I think as part of her class warfare appeal she'll start WWIII with the Dolans.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yes sir. So many good double bacon cheeseburgers were had!

Is there such a thing as a bad double bacon cheeseburger?  I think not!  They're ALL good!

I just can't see this happening. At the very least though, the whole battle between the Dolans and the city should be fun to watch. Get 'yer popcorn ready. :P

And yer burgers!

If only In 'n Out would expand into this area...