177 replies to this topic

#61 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,407 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:28 PM

Huh? Everyone asks for the moon. Where was there going to appear a better market? Let's review the facts about Rick Nash:

- He turned 28 a month ago.
- He's not a play driver but no one cares about that so...
- While he's scored 95 goals over the last 3 seasons, which ranks 12th in the league over that span...
- ...he's signed at the 5th highest cap hit in the league and signed until 2018 when he is 36.

The only way this trade is a win is if Columbus was that bad/NYR is that good that he becomes a 40 goal forward who can drive play in New York. I wouldn't bet on that happening. And if the cap goes down and salaries don't get rolled back significantly, Nash is still on a rotten contract. Again, imagine Nash is a UFA - do you want to sign him at that cap hit until 2018? Probably not.

The Rangers traded the least possible to get an all-star first liner. Your whole post only critiques Nash and doesn't offer an alternative. By your logic there was no winning scenario for NYR that involved getting Rick Nash at all outside of them getting him off re-entry waivers. So if your argument is that the Rangers lose no matter what because they got Rick Nash then that's fair.

Edited by ben00rs, 23 July 2012 - 02:29 PM.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#62 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,580 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:29 PM

This hurts the Rangers bottom six IMO. Thats if they do not make anymore moves.

Gaborik Richards Hagelin
Callahan Stepan Nash
Kreider Boyle Asham
Rupp Halpern Pyatt

Edited by Zubie#8, 23 July 2012 - 02:29 PM.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#63 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,106 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:30 PM

I don't care what you say, Gaborik/Richards/Nash is a pretty disgusting half of a top 6, and they have a lot of young talent and a stud in goal. Also, they were 2 wins away from playing for the Stanley Cup.

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#64 slasher72

slasher72

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:31 PM

Let the Rags get Nash, let the Flyers get Weber, let the Pens get Semin...Lou made our big acquisition already when he signed Krys Barch.

Now put that in your pipe and smoke it. :boogie:

#65 Brandon

Brandon

Trenton Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:35 PM

Jackets should be ashamed, they could have gotten so much more for Nash. God I hope Nash just flat-out busts in New York and forces them to blow up their team when the cap comes down.
25smul5.png

#66 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,248 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:36 PM

Looks like they got Nash for trash.

#67 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:37 PM

Anisimov will come back to bite the Rangers in the ass one day. He's gonna be a great player when he develops more in my opinion.

Edited by TheMazz, 23 July 2012 - 02:37 PM.

n2eg.jpg

#68 third man in

third man in

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:39 PM

Nash has a terrible contract but I feel NYR hardly gave up anything here. Howson is doing a bang up job in CBJ once again.

#69 nmm90392

nmm90392

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:40 PM

This hurts the Rangers bottom six IMO. Thats if they do not make anymore moves.

Gaborik Richards Hagelin
Callahan Stepan Nash
Kreider Boyle Asham
Rupp Halpern Pyatt

that looks horrible. i dont think they will be a much better team. they lost depth and thats what teams need now a days

ajq8o1.png

#70 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,580 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:41 PM

Nash has a terrible contract but I feel NYR hardly gave up anything here. Howson is doing a bang up job in CBJ once again.

I dont know which is more stupid, this trade or declining the Islanders offer of thier entire draft.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#71 Brandon

Brandon

Trenton Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:41 PM

This is how this trade shakes down for me:

Dubinsky - 3rd/2nd liner with rumored drug problems
Anisimov - Decent 3rd or 2nd liner with a little potential
Erixon - The broke-man's Larsson
and likely a low 1st
25smul5.png

#72 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,844 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:42 PM

I thought Nash has only 5-years left on his current deal ?

#73 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,580 posts

that looks horrible. i dont think they will be a much better team. they lost depth and thats what teams need now a days

Thats what did them in against us.

And let us all remember that A LOT of things went the Rangers way last season. Lets see if they can do that again.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#74 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Your joking right bubster?

The Rangers need to understand (which I'm convinced that they won't) - they need to keep SOME young talent! Afterall, what's the point of having all-star veterans if there is no young talent to train?

n2eg.jpg

#75 JohnnyP.

JohnnyP.

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:45 PM

Looks like they got Nash for trash.

Perfectly said in my opinion.

Dubi - junk
Anisimov -- average
Erixon - who knows
Pick --- who knows

Bottom line it is surprising to believe that this was the best offer the Blue Jackets got. I understand BJackets wouldn't send him to Detroit.. but outside of their own division... they got no better offer then the strangers junk????

:huh:

#76 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,407 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:45 PM

Your joking right bubster?

The Rangers need to understand (which I'm convinced that they won't) - they need to keep SOME young talent! Afterall, what's the point of having all-star veterans if there is no young talent to train?

They have plenty of young talent.

#77 Revan

Revan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:51 PM

Howson is looking just terrible right now. All this waiting and holding off, talking about how he wants ready NHLers in return (not just prospects) and this is what he gets in return. After all those months and the talk about the Rangers young promising players going the other way... Jackets fans must be livid seeing this is what they got for their franchise player.

Of course, both the contract and the fact that Nash wanted out played a big part in this trade ending up the way it did. But the Rangers still have a ton of cap space (14 million according to Cap Geek - same as the Devils, except the Devs just lost their big name player for nothing), so they'll be fine, even when they need to give a raise or two to their young guys.

Hate to say it, but, as much as I consider Nash overrated, this is just a good trade by Sather. I sort of rooted for the Rangers to get Rick because I hoped they would dismantle their team for an overhyped guy, but they were smart. These are OK players they gave up, but come on, nothing impressive in comparison to Nash. And the Jackets actually sent an extra player and a 3rd round pick to NY. That is just awful.

Good, so maybe this offseason our biggest rival will get Rick Nash, our 2nd biggest rival will get Shea Weber and we...well, we lose Zach Parise.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the "keeping up with the Joneses" philosophy in sports, but when two of our divisional rivals (who we unexpectedly defeated in the playoffs, too) improve and we actually get weaker than last year, I just can't help but hope for the Devils to sign Semin (to a reasonable deal). The battle inside the division is looking bleaker and bleaker.

#78 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,861 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:52 PM

This guy has only two 40-goal seasons in his 9-year career and carries a contract with a $7.8M cap hit, and he was sought after? The Rangers deserve this guy, and didn't deserve all that Dubinsky brought.

Bingo
Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#79 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:52 PM

They have plenty of young talent.

Kreider who has had one impressive season (Not even a full season), Hagelin and Stepan

What other impressive prospects/"young talent" do they have? J.T. Miller is a question mark, so is Mcilrath

n2eg.jpg

#80 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,407 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:55 PM

It doesn't seem to me like anywhere has an argument here that the NYR could have made a better trade if they were definitely going to get Nash. There are just those who say Nash is overrated and you lose by getting Nash and those who say Nash is overrated but the Rags win by giving up very little.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users