Marty says Devils were "pretty close" to signing Parise... and

Daniel

It won't be Lou's choice by this offseason.  Marty's definitely gone and boy the ****'s really going to hit the fan once he leaves.

I gotta admit, I never thought it would get like this, but sometimes people get emotional and things that look really bad to outsiders get worked out.  Hope that's the case between Lou and Marty.  I've got a funny this stuff has been building up within Marty for a while now.  I'd love to know if he really did want out, how badly, and if the fact that he wasn't dealt his "final straw". 

Brodeur isn't definitely gone because again I have to wonder who is going to want this guy who doesn't play good goal and shoots his mouth off about playing time.

What makes you think he wants to come back here?  Or that Lou wants him back at this point?   

why do you say it's clear? Zach and his agent reported that contract talks were still not ongoing few weeks before free agency (and for sure only after the draft).

Then Zach said Lou didnt wait til June 29th/30th, that they talked long time before that. "long time" being pretty up in the air. And he said he never lied (for wtv it's worth)

so based on that... even starting the talks after the draft was already too late.

Parise said himself Lou didn't wait until the last minute. You really don't see how maybe Vanderbeek's situation could have been hindering something? If they discussed long term deals the summer before he went UFA, then obviously it was on Lou's radar. There's really not much a GM can do if he has no money to spend.

I gotta admit, I never thought it would get like this, but sometimes people get emotional and things that look really bad to outsiders get worked out.  Hope that's the case between Lou and Marty.  I've got a funny this stuff has been building up within Marty for a while now.  I'd love to know if he really did want out, how badly, and if the fact that he wasn't dealt his "final straw". 

I know we're just guessing personally but I think it'll take until after his career's over and he realizes Lou was right in that he wasn't a 70-game starting goalie anymore before there's a reconciliation.  Then again, I'm starting to think the Cory trade was right move at the wrong time.  It's backfired in thirty thousand different ways :(

I think that Brodeur "leaking" all those details is not as much him bullsh!tting stuff just to make Lou look bad...

I think it's more like it always being bothering him (just like Elias) but that he wouldnt want to say anything but now that he has a little grudge it's all coming out.

Brodeur is transitioning nicely into his second career as a TV talking head.

Do you people actually think he seeks out interviews and is clamoring for TV time?  My God, some of you just have no clue. 

Do you really think reporters, TV analysts, blog writers, etc etc want to talk to guys like Danius Zubrus, Steve Bernier, or Mark Fayne?  No one outside the hockey world has ever heard of these guys, and they're hardly relevant anymore to the people that actually ARE in the hockey world.  They gravitate to Brodeur because he's always been friendly to the media, he's a hockey legend and people that are typically more interested in other sports still know his name, and they want to make a story out of it.  This is nothing new.  If people stopped giving it attention and going on and on about stuff that's a non-story and just pure dribble they wouldn't continue to write about it and we could actually focus on things that truly deserve attention.

Brodeur did fire shots, but he might have a point. He only went to free agency (I believe) until he was 40. He signed a large contract within the season that kept him in NJ for the rest of his playing career (the part I want to remember anyway). So, he sees how well it worked. Why is Brodeur the only one who discusses contracts within the season? If you are going to do that with him, how about doing it with everyone.

Maybe they have. No one has ever publicly said it was happening. I guess it's not something you'll hear within the Devils organization, but Brodeur is clearly angry how much the team has struggled since they lost Parise. And of course he is a big part of that.

Do you people actually think he seeks out interviews and is clamoring for TV time?  My God, some of you just have no clue. 

Do you really think reporters, TV analysts, blog writers, etc etc want to talk to guys like Danius Zubrus, Steve Bernier, or Mark Fayne?  No one outside the hockey world has ever heard of these guys, and they're hardly relevant anymore to the people that actually ARE in the hockey world.  They gravitate to Brodeur because he's always been friendly to the media, he's a hockey legend and people that are typically more interested in other sports still know his name, and they want to make a story out of it.  This is nothing new.  If people stopped giving it attention and going on and on about stuff that's a non-story and just pure dribble they wouldn't continue to write about it and we could actually focus on things that truly deserve attention.

Yes, I do.  I do because there is an easy way to talk to the media while saying nothing - Parise and Kovalchuk were both masters of it - and there is a way to talk to the media while saying everything (Brodeur, Holik, and so forth).  Brodeur has already done TV work in Canada and I'm pretty sure that's what he's going to end up doing once his career is over.

Yes, I do.  I do because there is an easy way to talk to the media while saying nothing - Parise and Kovalchuk were both masters of it - and there is a way to talk to the media while saying everything (Brodeur, Holik, and so forth).  Brodeur has already done TV work in Canada and I'm pretty sure that's what he's going to end up doing once his career is over.

I agree he might end up on TV one day.  I mean, who wouldn't want to listen to analysis from possibly the greatest goalie of all time?   I guess I just don't see his interviews and comments as terribly destructive or purposefully vindictive and poisoning.   He wants playing time, and he's not afraid to voice his opinion.  Is this really a shock to people?  You don't get to being perhaps the best goalie of all time by being passive.  He is still motivated to play and he doesn't want to go quietly into the night.  I realize the game is slipping by him, it's only natural, but it's also a little admirable that he's willing to fight and give everything he's got (whether that's enough for a W on most nights is still debatable) and I don't blame him one bit for wanting playing time in his last season or two before he has to hang them up.  Would I prefer that he gradually accepts the backup role and is willing to mentor and help Cory become half of what he was in his career?  Yes of course, but after the 20 years of insane goaltending that he's given us I am fine if the situation is a little sticky for a year or two.  Proportionally that's a pretty good ratio.