We Suck

1Guy3Cups

i know the team has been exceptionally sucky lately and with last nights pathetic performance believe me im just as annoyed as everyone here.. but atleast as of right now we still have a playoff spot.. may be due to the teams under us winning and losing certain games but whatever.. thats not the point.. i think we should all just chill out here a little, wait and see what happens thursday night. although most of us are not expecting anything more then what weve been getting hey you never know they have 2 days with no games now maybe theyll surprise us and win a game for once. Although it seems most here have lost their hope for this team, lets quit bitching about how sorry we are here and hope for the best thursday!

i know the team has been exceptionally sucky lately and with last nights pathetic performance believe me im just as annoyed as everyone here.. but atleast as of right now we still have a playoff spot.. may be due to the teams under us winning and losing certain games but whatever.. thats not the point.. i think we should all just chill out here a little, wait and see what happens thursday night. although most of us are not expecting anything more then what weve been getting hey you never know they have 2 days with no games now maybe theyll surprise us and win a game for once. Although it seems most here have lost their hope for this team, lets quit bitching about how sorry we are here and hope for the best thursday!

No one's giving up. The turn around in 10-11 was made during a break just after x-mas, a few practices, some good coaching and the team was unrecognizable. This team can turn things around. I have faith.

They do however, need some top end talent to appear for next year. Our top 6 is terrible, especially sans Kovy.

If you want another example of a highly drafted rookie who was derided by some of his own fans the first couple of years on his team then I have two words for you: Scott Niedermayer

i know and i can only hope Larsson pull something like that, listten its not like i want to see him fail just so i can say "i told you so" trust me. but Nieds was always an incredible skater he always had that way above average advantage that you could see at first.

Larsson has a good passing ability at this point of his career, but thats it. His lack of speed, grit, and shot is worrying me.

No one's giving up. The turn around in 10-11 was made during a break just after x-mas, a few practices, some good coaching and the team was unrecognizable. This team can turn things around. I have faith.

They do however, need some top end talent to appear for next year. Our top 6 is terrible, especially sans Kovy.

I really do not think our top 6 is that bad, or at least worse than most teams.

I really do not think our top 6 is that bad, or at least worse than most teams.

Elias, Zajac, Kovy are the 3 truly deserving of a top 6 spot. Henrique is close, Clarky, is not quite as close, Loktionov is playing well now, but we've only seen 20 or so games from him and Zubrus, while awesome, is someone who would fare best on a 3rd line, imo, though he can be put into the top 6 at times.

It wouldn't be so bad if Zajac wasn't having an awful year. Henrique will be better next year I think, so that could help. If Loktionov continues to improve, we may well not really need a top 6 UFA signing, but that would be risky to assume both those things happen. I really thought JJ was gonna have a good year this year, but as we've seen, not so much.

Edited by ATLL765

Legit top 6 players include Kovy (injured), Elias and Zajac. I think Clarkson and Henrique are tweeners and Loktionov is too unproven 

it sounds really more like a top 3.. Except a zajac with what 5 or 6 goals so far for the season.. An Elias that hasn't been doing anything lately, and an injured kovy.. There is no top line here

Legit top 6 players include Kovy (injured), Elias and Zajac. I think Clarkson and Henrique are tweeners and Loktionov is too unproven 

i think some of those guys can have a top 6 role for awhile like Clarkson to me is a good 3rd line RW who will produce for what he is. To me Henrique and Lokti should/could become legit top 6 guys.

i think some of those guys can have a top 6 role for awhile like Clarkson to me is a good 3rd line RW who will produce for what he is. To me Henrique and Lokti should/could become legit top 6 guys.

Clarky and Henrique would be best suited as 3rd liners that fill in throughout the top 6 in case of injury or cold streak. They can manage a few games well there, but probably aren't ready for the big time, night in, night out. Another couple years, things could be different. Again, it's a risk to assume that will happen by a certain point. You gotta hedge your bets a bit. Maybe not go sign two top 6 wingers, but adding 1 would not be a terrible idea.

Edited by ATLL765

If I had to break it down into ability

1st line- Elias, Kovalchuk

2nd line- Zajac

2nd/3rd line- Henrique, Clarkson, Loktionov

3rd line- D'Agostini, Zubrus, Poni

3rd/4th line- Bernier, Carter

4th- Tom K

AHL fodder- Gionta, Sestito

You broke it down a bit better than I did. I agree with you here, though I'd put Clarky on a 2nd tier of ability in that category, as Loki and Henrique clearly have higher ceiling and are likely more skilled then him.

I meant to make this as an edit to my other post, but I am so smrt.

Edited by ATLL765

i know and i can only hope Larsson pull something like that, listten its not like i want to see him fail just so i can say "i told you so" trust me. but Nieds was always an incredible skater he always had that way above average advantage that you could see at first.

Larsson has a good passing ability at this point of his career, but thats it. His lack of speed, grit, and shot is worrying me.

Niedermayer was a rare talent, though. He was one of the best skaters in the league when he was playing. Larsson is a different type player. Larsson's passing is already pretty impressive, his vision on the ice is great at times (can anyone else make a long pass on this team?!?), and he remains calm (at times too calm, almost like he doesn't care). His positioning isn't all there yet, but there are times he seems to be exactly where he needs to be. His game really isn't about speed or grit. As for his shot, I think it will be much better in a couple of years. He is still very young.

I don't really think Larsson is going to be a big point getter (like a Doughty type) but he was on pace for about 45 in the AHL this season, so he can definitely contribute. I think Larsson in about 3 or 4 years will be THE guy on defense here.

Looking at that draft, I don't think there's anyone I would rather have taken at that spot.

Elias, Zajac, Kovy are the 3 truly deserving of a top 6 spot. Henrique is close, Clarky, is not quite as close, Loktionov is playing well now, but we've only seen 20 or so games from him and Zubrus, while awesome, is someone who would fare best on a 3rd line, imo, though he can be put into the top 6 at times.

It wouldn't be so bad if Zajac wasn't having an awful year. Henrique will be better next year I think, so that could help. If Loktionov continues to improve, we may well not really need a top 6 UFA signing, but that would be risky to assume both those things happen. I really thought JJ was gonna have a good year this year, but as we've seen, not so much.

IDK about that.  To me this is NHL 13 video game thinking.  Elias, Kovy and Zajac are any team's top 3 IMO.  Outside of Pittsburgh, Chicago and maybe a couple of other teams, no one has a full top 6 like they do.  I think our 2nd line is at least comparable to most teams in the NHL now.

Niedermayer was a rare talent, though. He was one of the best skaters in the league when he was playing. Larsson is a different type player. Larsson's passing is already pretty impressive, his vision on the ice is great at times (can anyone else make a long pass on this team?!?), and he remains calm (at times too calm, almost like he doesn't care). His positioning isn't all there yet, but there are times he seems to be exactly where he needs to be. His game really isn't about speed or grit. As for his shot, I think it will be much better in a couple of years. He is still very young.

I don't really think Larsson is going to be a big point getter (like a Doughty type) but he was on pace for about 45 in the AHL this season, so he can definitely contribute. I think Larsson in about 3 or 4 years will be THE guy on defense here.

Looking at that draft, I don't think there's anyone I would rather have taken at that spot.

His shot is fine, needs a bit more power, but he's so young still. He makes the long pass better than anyone in the d-corps, and is second only to Zid with his deflectable shot/skilled shot-passes.

IDK about that.  To me this is NHL 13 video game thinking.  Elias, Kovy and Zajac are any team's top 3 IMO.  Outside of Pittsburgh, Chicago and maybe a couple of other teams, no one has a full top 6 like they do.  I think our 2nd line is at least comparable to most teams in the NHL now.

Our bottom 6 is fine, pretty good, in fact. I just feel like we're playing 2 ok second lines instead of a 1st and 2nd.

And I don't see how Zajac is in everyone's top 3. It's borderline that he's in our top 3 as is. I know he has it in him, but he isn't showing it right now.

Edited by ATLL765

I agree. Larsson was always the guy I wanted at #4, but I would have been more than happy with Landeskog. You could make the argument that Couturier, Hamilton and Brodin have been better up to this point but I'd still take Larsson over them. I'd like to see the young Dmen play with guys not named Chara and Suter. 

Nieds was probly the best skater in the history of the sport imo, not only in the league when he was playing.

The difference between Nieds and Larsson is people always knew Nieds was talented and had all the tools, but he was often looked at as an underachiever (not to mention people held the holdouts against him) until Burns came along and Nieds fully lived up to the insane expections following him around for a decade.  With Larsson, people are worried he actually isn't that good to begin with.

Edited by NJDevs4978

No, but correct spelling is a great indicator of intelligence, so when one sees constant misspellings, such as you and the way you always misspell "Zajac" as "Zajak", it's a normal tendency to write off your posts since you can't even figure out how to spell a guy's name who has it written on his back for 459 games over the last 7 years.

And we are just as old this year as we were last year. So what's your point?

actually we are older this year, we are the OLDEST team in the league, and we have lost 16 of the last 22 games, if that makes you happy so be it..  I'm not, please someone explain to me what makes you optimistic about this team?

Last year we caught lightning in a bottle, we will be LUCKY to make the playoffs this year...

actually we are older this year, we are the OLDEST team in the league, and we have lost 16 of the last 22 games, if that makes you happy so be it..  I'm not, please someone explain to me what makes you optimistic about this team?

Last year we caught lightning in a bottle, we will be LUCKY to make the playoffs this year...

So then they trade everything away, and become a young team that also can't win.

The team doesn't suck. 

They are 7th in the east.

Do they deserve to be there? No. They also won't be there for long. 

The Devils schedule is too hard and other teams are now surging (Isles, Caps, Flyers).

If you look at the Devils OT/SO losses..the Devils have THE MOST losses in the league.

Clearly the beginning of the year was a fluke and was due to other teams still shaking off the rust.

This team has had multiple let downs vs. teams they should have been able to beat easily (ex. Florida, Tampa)

They out shoot everyone and have nothing to show for it because their shots are usually garbage and rebounds are never put home because nobody is ever at the net due to the fact our defense is so slow that we always have to play back.

Mark my words this season will unfortunately end in disaster.

If it weren't for the Rangers, Flyers, Caps getting off to bad starts  the Devils would surely be out of the top 8. Very lucky to be where they are. 

The difference between Nieds and Larsson is people always knew Nieds was talented and had all the tools, but he was often looked at as an underachiever (not to mention people held the holdouts against him) until Burns came along and Nieds fully lived up to the insane expections following him around for a decade.  With Larsson, people are worried he actually isn't that good to begin with.

because people are looking for speed like Niedermayer had. That's easy to see but things like that aren't requisite in defensemen. What guys like Lidstrom do isn't as easily seen. Larsson's supposed to be Lidstrom lite eventually maybe so the people who just determined he isnt' that good when he's barely 20 and a top 5 pick are the kinds of people that get made fun of on message boards from the outside 

Edited by DH26

So then they trade everything away, and become a young team that also can't win.

Difference is Young team not winning has a future, has possibilities there is optimism!!  An old team not winning has what to look foward to?  Elias & Broduer's numbers getting retired?? Now thats fun for the fans!!

I like the title of this thread. 

"We suck" is so much more apt than "The Devils Suck" or "This team sucks"

and the thread is really representative of just how hard the posts we've made in said thread suck - myself included :evil:

Edited by Pepperkorn