NJDevs FHL Season #9 is underway!

NJDevs4978

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay after my series of epic computer draft fails, more or less everyone this side of Ovechkin, Staal, Carter and Roloson (maybe) is on the block. One way or another I'm putting a representative team on the ice this year :rant:

And now I really wish I'd remembered to make players FA's like I'd intended after the draft instead of having them go on waivers :lol: Oh well I'll be waiver wire vulturing sooner or later anyway.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I only preranked my first overall pick, just in case I had computer problems. Of course I did and they were far worse than I feared lol.

Other than having a top pick, preranking doesn't do much for me though since I draft based on both value and to have a balanced team (I'm not going to draft three RW's in the first five picks for example), so I don't bother with it. I probably should have just left bad enough alone and kept autodrafting instead of trying to draft Marty off my phone and getting Hiller plus a wasted random pick instead. If you could prerank by position that would help but you can't since it defaults to an overall prerank.

I don't even want to look at the draft to see what I could have gotten, but I know Thomas would have been one of my next two picks after Ovi if I were there. At least Carter and Staal are good players and I can work with them but still :P

I was able to draft four of my five defensemen, Roloson, a couple of my back-end forwards and queued up a bunch of centers at one point since that was going to be my next pick but of course I got booted out of the draft again and wound up taking them with the next three picks. Oh well, everyone gets bitten by the live draft sooner or later.

EDIT: nvm the last part, after looking at the wire this morning I decided I liked the forward options there anyway, but I could still use some plus/minus help or one more more high PIM guy that can be a starter.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Hi, again I'm going to show my ignorance to fantasy hockey...but how exactly does this work? Do the player positions lock or do I have to change them daily/weekly? And once you put a player in a position does he lock at that position until a certain point in the week? Thanks.

Oh geez, just checked. The league has no IR spot listed and it's too late to change it. I don't get it, I've always had two in the past but for some reason the league defaulted to having zero. Yahoo! is supposed to keep all your settings when you renew a league.

Yahoo has been screwy this year in general. For some reason I defaulted back to an offline draft when I know I set up the live draft while I renewed the league. Good thing ayl noticed a week beforehand it changed.

Edited by NJDevs4978

In head to head leagues (when you face a specefic team each week and earn a win, loss or tie for the week), you typically set your roster daily (very involved), or weekly (less involved).

This is a rotissire league in which you compete with all 17 teams everyday. So each day, the team with the most goals gets 17 pts for goals... 16, 15, 14 etc. This goes across all the categories we have. A pitfall people run into is that they play they fill their starting roles each day with whatever player is playing - like they would in a head to head league. However, in this league, you only get 82 games per position. So a lot of times you'll see some people jump way out because they overloaded their rosters in the begining... however, once they hit their max games played, there stats no longer contirbute to the score and you'll see them drop in the standings as others gain on them.

The easiest way to play is to play your best players all the time and make small adjustments if they get injured, etc. Or you could micromanage it and ride hot streaks and bench cold streaks, look at matchups etc. Matchups work espeically well with backup goalies on good teams. Typically backups will be played against the bad teams to give their goalies rest... For instance Jonathan Bernier on LA or Cory Scneider on Vancouver.... or even Hedberg if the Devs regain form, etc. You could also play goons/4th liners in rivalerly games to rack up PIMS, etc... but these aren't players you want to have playing every game, etc.

Yea... after reviewing my roster I needed more goals... so who better than Perry? I like Zetterberg, and could have used his Faceoffs... but hopefully it works out. I was gambling on a bounceback from Hossa... but used the gamble for a trade for Perry. Callahan should be an alright replacement.

I'm a firm believer that whoever gets the best player (Perry) wins the trade... barring that player getting injured :)

So in this league I have Stamkos/Perry... the other league Ovie/Crosby. yea.

Edited by aylbert

In head to head leagues (when you face a specefic team each week and earn a win, loss or tie for the week), you typically set your roster daily (very involved), or weekly (less involved).

This is a rotissire league in which you compete with all 17 teams everyday. So each day, the team with the most goals gets 17 pts for goals... 16, 15, 14 etc. This goes across all the categories we have. A pitfall people run into is that they play they fill their starting roles each day with whatever player is playing - like they would in a head to head league. However, in this league, you only get 82 games per position. So a lot of times you'll see some people jump way out because they overloaded their rosters in the begining... however, once they hit their max games played, there stats no longer contirbute to the score and you'll see them drop in the standings as others gain on them.

The easiest way to play is to play your best players all the time and make small adjustments if they get injured, etc. Or you could micromanage it and ride hot streaks and bench cold streaks, look at matchups etc. Matchups work espeically well with backup goalies on good teams. Typically backups will be played against the bad teams to give their goalies rest... For instance Jonathan Bernier on LA or Cory Scneider on Vancouver.... or even Hedberg if the Devs regain form, etc. You could also play goons/4th liners in rivalerly games to rack up PIMS, etc... but these aren't players you want to have playing every game, etc.

Ok...so if I have somebody that played today...and I used him, then I swapped him out tomorrow for somebody that plays then...it would be bad, because at the end of the season, I would have over used that position, right?

Ok...so if I have somebody that played today...and I used him, then I swapped him out tomorrow for somebody that plays then...it would be bad, because at the end of the season, I would have over used that position, right?

Short answer: yes.

It's a ratio game. You want to get the most goals, etc over 82 games. So if you play one of your rosters spots everyday... your roster spot is done in 82 days from now. You should have a tremoundous lead over somebody who was only using their best player in that spot (lets say you get 28 goals in those plays and they only have 12 right now, but still have 60 games left). However, while you are done accumulating stats, they will continue until they hit their 82 games. So really, you have to think about the best quality you can ice for each game you have. Yahoo will also project for your usage... and estimate if you will come in under or over at the end of the season. You're not penalized (nor do you benefit) for finishing ahead of time, as everyone will get their 82 games.

So ice the best team you can. If your star gets injured for 10 games, etc... think about how you want to replace those 10 games. But really, your bench should only be a reserve pool for injury... Unless of course you are playing matchups, and keeping an eye on your games played. That's really more of advanced skill though.

Edited by aylbert