Discuss - Most Likely Trade Deadline Targets

Sharifijanov2099

Granted, it's entirely possible NJ is a seller come deadline... but that seems to rarely happen around here.  So who are the most likely additions with 7 million or so in cap space?  Discuss.

To name a few in the general mill...

Chris Stewart - grit & goal scoring. Has something like 15 goals this year on only 14 minutes per game, but seems to find himself in the dog house frequently.  Could be a nice top-9 steal with potential to play on line 1.

PA Parenteau - another guy in his team's respective dog house... but mostly just seems lost amidst the glut of talented Colorado forwards.  Might be a nice add.  Succeeded in COL at first after his departure from the Island when many thought he would not.

Lee Stempniak - shoots the puck a good amount, which could come in handy around here. Had a nice stretch earlier in the season when he was looking as though he would have a break out season. Got injured and then never really re-captured the same steam.

Moulson - former Isles goal scorer... might be too pricey for a NJ acquisition (as his profile is likely higher than the guys mentioned above, whether that's deserved or not).  Still, an option.

Hemsky - not a great option IMO, but you never know. Seems to have been on NJ's radar last several years if you believe any of the rumor sites.

E. Kane - it's hard for me to fathom that the Jets would trade this guy... absolute superstar in the making and is just destined to explode one year soon.  I'd trade away mostly anything to acquire this guy, but again, I have doubts about how legitimate it is that he's even on the market or gets moved.

My take:

Stewart and Parenteau are the guys to target... but hey, some defensive forward like Vernon Fiddler or some 4th liner is probably more likely. :-)

They're not positioned to do much, as they don't have much to give, and their most likely moves line up as "sell" moves.   Unless you think they can find a mutually beneficial roster trade for Zids.   They can't afford to burn more 2014 draft picks, their prospects are either too green or need to be held, and there's not alot on the roster than lines up for "buyer" moves.

Chris Stewart would be nice, but we don't have anything St. Louis really needs or wants.

Parenteau is a guy I think we could acquire.  Colorado is looking doe defensemen.  Most Avs fans aren't too thrilled about their blueline core.

I wouldn't mind Stempniak.

Moulson will be too pricey.  He's already highly sought after.

Hemsky could be had for very little, but we're deep at RW.

Evander Kane is a guy I'd trade one of our big 3 young defensemen for.

You can also add Cammalleri to your list.  I think we can get him for relatively cheap.  Kulemin is another guy that intrigues me who has been rumored to be on the block.

Obviously on the wrong site for this, but has anyone watched many Carolina games? The guy I keep coming back to when looking for LW-trades is Nathan Gerbe. 3 shots per game on average and he'd be relatively cheap compared to most others mentioned in trades. Would he be available? I don't know.

The numbers look right but I don't know if he passes the eyetest,

Edited by Marshall

I'll say it again, my dark horse trade deadline candidate is Salvador.  He's got that leadership quality that some GMs find attractive at the trade deadline, he doesn't have an NTC and his contract really isn't that bad (one more year for basically what an average non-ELC defenseman makes).  I think Lou's confident that Harrold can step in to the bottom pairing.  I guess it's really dependent on how confident Lou is that Larsson is ready to be a full-time NHLer again, or Gelinas for that matter.  Assuming that Volchenkov will be in and out of the line-up with various bumps and bruises, here's what a non-Salvador defense corps might look like.

Green-Fayne

Zidlicky-Merrill

Harrold-Larsson/Gelinas/Volchenkov 

I'm not familiar with the defense corps of a lot of potential trade partners, so it's hard for me to say where he would end up.  I suppose you could trade him for Parenteau.  Colorado would probably want to dump his salary and his production is set to decline anyway.  I really never liked him, but he's supposed to be good in shoot-outs. 

Trading one of the young defenseman doesn't make a lot of sense.  Would be one thing if we're a guaranteed playoff team like 2009-2010, but obviously not the case right now.  I don't see younger players that will be under a team's control available (like Kane).  People brought up the idea of a sign/trade for Statsny.  Usually word gets out that a team has given permission for one of its UFAs to be to talk to other teams -- like Callahan -- but haven't heard any news like that on Statsny.

• Like 1

E. Kane-6 mil a yr. constantly hurt-no interest

Kulemin- we need scoring, he's a checking fw- no interest

what happens if we have a tough couple weeks and manage to drop out of playoff race, who goes?

what happens if we have a tough couple weeks and manage to drop out of playoff race, who goes?

In addition to my deductions about Salvador, Zidlicky is probably your best bet.  If someone wants Jagr, I would want either a good forward prospect or a first round pick.  If no one is offering that, might as well hang on to him and see if you can convince him to re-up for another year.

Going purely off stats Bryan Little (17-28-45) is having a productive year for Winnipeg. He is also a right wing. The thing is its easy to go to nhl.com and see who has a lot of points and say "oh they're a trade target".

I just hope something is done in the top 6 to help this team and put an end to 1st line wing revolving door. Lamoriello has been putting it off with Josefson, Boucher, Whitney, etc. enough is enough management doesn't seem to have to much faith in Josefson/Loktionov in the lineup night in and night out so it times to take action and make a move before its too late.

Edited by Mayday

I'll say it again, my dark horse trade deadline candidate is Salvador.  He's got that leadership quality that some GMs find attractive at the trade deadline, he doesn't have an NTC and his contract really isn't that bad (one more year for basically what an average non-ELC defenseman makes).

Agree, in that Sal's the kind of a guy some GMs might see as a veteran defenseman who's a relative bargain (both in actual salary and in what they have to give up to get him) and has playoff experience.  There's teams that could probably better hide him than the Devils can...teams that don't have to give him 20+ minutes per game.  There may even be a GM who sees his 2012 playoff numbers and thinks "Maybe he can even provide a little offense."  I don't expect anything of significance back (probably a mid-round pick), but getting him off the team for next season would be a nice win for sure.      

Agree, in that Sal's the kind of a guy some GMs might see as a veteran defenseman who's a relative bargain (both in actual salary and in what they have to give up to get him) and has playoff experience.  There's teams that could probably better hide him than the Devils can...teams that don't have to give him 20+ minutes per game.  There may even be a GM who sees his 2012 playoff numbers and thinks "Maybe he can even provide a little offense."  I don't expect anything of significance back (probably a mid-round pick), but getting him off the team for next season would be a nice win for sure.      

I think they could also get a capable, but declining forward whose salary another team would want to get rid of.  That's why people are mentioning Parenteau.  The Devils are more concerned about clearing the logjam on defense than being over the salary cap. 

E. Kane - it's hard for me to fathom that the Jets would trade this guy... absolute superstar in the making and is just destined to explode one year soon.  I'd trade away mostly anything to acquire this guy, but again, I have doubts about how legitimate it is that he's even on the market or gets moved.

I love Kane, and would probably trade about anyone excepot Schnieder for him.

I'll say it again, my dark horse trade deadline candidate is Salvador.  He's got that leadership quality that some GMs find attractive at the trade deadline, he doesn't have an NTC and his contract really isn't that bad (one more year for basically what an average non-ELC defenseman makes).  I think Lou's confident that Harrold can step in to the bottom pairing.  I guess it's really dependent on how confident Lou is that Larsson is ready to be a full-time NHLer again, or Gelinas for that matter.  Assuming that Volchenkov will be in and out of the line-up with various bumps and bruises, here's what a non-Salvador defense corps might look like.

I hope you're right, I really do.

I think they could also get a capable, but declining forward whose salary another team would want to get rid of.  That's why people are mentioning Parenteau.  The Devils are more concerned about clearing the logjam on defense than being over the salary cap. 

His contract isn't outrageous:  two seasons after this one left on a 4-year, $16 million deal.  He'll be 31 to start the season next year. 

Concerns:  an extra year the Devils have him over Sal, only 2 goals in his last 21 games, recent healthy scratch.  Doesn't seem like any real improvement over what the Devils have...not really sure where he'd fit in.  I'm all for moving Sal, but not sure I'd want Parenteau at 2 years and the $8 million due to him in 2014-15 and 2015-16 to do it.  Think I'd rather take the draft pick.   

I would be shocked if Jagr could fetch a first round pick. If I'm Lou I make that move should it be offered by anyone.

Rich Chere just retweeted that Vanek will be moved from the island after turning down a contract. They will be unlikely to get a good return considering what they paid for him.

I would be shocked if Jagr could fetch a first round pick. If I'm Lou I make that move should it be offered by anyone.

why and why? Why wouldn't jagr fetch a first? He's playing better than last year when he was traded for a conditional first.

And why would you want to move him? We're still very much in contention and a ~#25ish pick in a weak draft isn't going to help much anytime soon. I would much rather wath jagr play the final 30 games and sink or swim with him than just give up any playoff hope for a late first.

Rich Chere just retweeted that Vanek will be moved from the island after turning down a contract. They will be unlikely to get a good return considering what they paid for him.

Jagr is 23rd in league scoring. Keep in mind that Paul Gaustad fetched a 1st the other year. 

why and why? Why wouldn't jagr fetch a first? He's playing better than last year when he was traded for a conditional first.

And why would you want to move him? We're still very much in contention and a ~#25ish pick in a weak draft isn't going to help much anytime soon. I would much rather wath jagr play the final 30 games and sink or swim with him than just give up any playoff hope for a late first.

I agree that they are by no means out of the playoffs, but it will be an uphill battle. The team has not shown the ability to put together win streaks which is exactly what it will take to get in - not hovering around .500 hockey. I'm not giving up on this team, but I'm being unbiased and reasonable about their chances. If someone is willing to give you a first in a year when you dont have one, you'd be crazy not to consider it carefully, regardless of a "weak draft" prognostication. And yes, he's been a point producer for us, but it's important to consider that a buying team at the deadline may not have the roster space in the top 6 to give him minutes like the Devils do. Other teams may value him less than NJ does, meaning they will be less willing to give up a lot to get him.

Albany is having a nice season, but they too are hovering around middle of the pack in the conference. We have lots of defensive depth moving back and forth, but other than Boucher, no real offensive threats to crack the NHL. We could use a solid scorer from this year's first round, but that might depend on what number the pick is for as well.

The obvious spot NJ needs help is on the top line, and most of the guys listed are right handed shots, so I don't see that working out.  I don't think they will trade for a guy to put there who shoots right handed.  

Whoever mentioned Gerbe - Gerbe is a bulk shooter w/ no scoring touch and no sense of teammates - NJ has had their share of these players over the years so feel free to pick your comparison - either way he's not really a fit.

One thing that's significant about this year as opposed to most years is that besides Jagr (and perhaps Zidlicky), NJ doesn't really have prominent guys going UFA.  I mean, this just isn't true of NJ ever - 06 they had Langenbrunner and Elias, 07 Gomez and Rafalski, 08 .. Pandolfo and Salvador, but 09 had Gionta and Madden, 10 had Kovalchuk and Martin, 11 had Langenbrunner and Arnott, 12 had Brodeur and Parise, 13 had Elias, Zidlicky, and Zubrus, etc.  Everyone else on the team is signed through next year - trouble is, I'd really want Jagr for next year.  Really wouldn't mind dealing Zidlicky though.

Edited by Triumph

I agree that they are by no means out of the playoffs, but it will be an uphill battle. The team has not shown the ability to put together win streaks which is exactly what it will take to get in - not hovering around .500 hockey. I'm not giving up on this team, but I'm being unbiased and reasonable about their chances. If someone is willing to give you a first in a year when you dont have one, you'd be crazy not to consider it carefully, regardless of a "weak draft" prognostication. And yes, he's been a point producer for us, but it's important to consider that a buying team at the deadline may not have the roster space in the top 6 to give him minutes like the Devils do. Other teams may value him less than NJ does, meaning they will be less willing to give up a lot to get him.

Albany is having a nice season, but they too are hovering around middle of the pack in the conference. We have lots of defensive depth moving back and forth, but other than Boucher, no real offensive threats to crack the NHL. We could use a solid scorer from this year's first round, but that might depend on what number the pick is for as well.

right sorry I didn't mean to sound like you had given up on he team, but that's is what Lou would be doing if he trades jagr. I wouldn't mind listening to offers but again a pick in the 25-30 range IMO isn't worth it, I'd rather keep jagr and see what happens the rest if the season.

I mean take a guy like Matteau, he seems like he could be a 3rd line checking type nhler but he's still 2 years away. That's sort of the best case scenario we would get with a pick there, unless e hit the lottery and pick up the next subban but with our 1st round drafting of late I'm not betting in that.