GDT: New Jersey @ Calgary - 1/10/12

NJCroMag

I really wonder how long you'll last before you realize that a constant negative nancy approach on everything only results in depression and lonely go-rounds at the lunch table.

Re: Hasek... he only played 41 games in his final season, but he only played 4 games in the playoffs.

I mean it was just a question.

I'm only negative when negative things are going on. I pointed out some positives. The Devils completely outplayed this team. At one point shots were in favor of the Devils 30-6 after the first period. Also said it was good to see Kovalchuck keeping up the goal scoring and Henrique with another SHG. Other than that there is nothing to be positive about. The Devils are a better team then the Flames and should have won but they didn't because of putrid goaltending. Sure, the Flames have been good at home but this team needs to turn a corner sooner or later and beat teams when they're expected to.

If you're comfortable with our goaltending situation at this point in the season then please forgive me for not having the same calm mind set as you.

Edited by ScoreMoreThan3

I mean it was just a question.

I'm only negative when negative things are going on. I pointed out some positions. The Devils completely outplayed this team. At one point shots were in favor of the Devils 30-6 after the first period. Also said it was good to see Kovalchuck keeping up the goal scoring and Henrique with another SHG. Other than that there is nothing to be positive about. The Devils are a better team then the Flames and should have won but they didn't because of putrid goaltending. Sure, the Flames have been good at home but this team needs to turn a corner sooner or later and beat teams when they're expected to.

If you're comfortable with our goaltending situation at this point in the season then please forgive me for not having the same calm mind set as you.

th_gif.gif

Did Roy or Hasek go out like this? I feel like this is pretty bad.

Roy to his credit was smart and retires right when his play started slipping.

Hasek started to drop off too in the end but his final few years he only played about 40 games a season. Up until a year or so ago barring injuries Marty still played a ton of games and that workload as well as his age has finally caught up to him.

Hasek started to drop off too in the end but his final few years he only played about 40 games a season. Up until a year or so ago barring injuries Marty still played a ton of games and that workload as well as his age has finally caught up to him.

Interesting.

I guess Marty couldn't retire due to us not having anybody to step in or...? Just wondering..because at this point he has to realize it should have been done already.

But then he'll go out and make 41 saves on 42 shots (vs. the Penns 4 days ago). Or he'll snap his glove out there against one of the leagues best, like he did against Ovechkin earlier this season. It's all about how you look at it, man.

But then he'll go out and make 41 saves on 42 shots (vs. the Penns 4 days ago). Or he'll snap his glove out there against one of the leagues best, like he did against Ovechkin earlier this season. It's all about how you look at it, man.

Hey, even Alzheimer's Patients have moments of lucidity.

Yea but the Devils goaltenders made 8 saves tonight 8. saves. I'm just looking at it game by game. You're right about him killing it the other night (although gave up a soft goal in that one too) and about him doing well in shootouts..its the long range shots he's having trouble stopping and controlling because his reaction time is just so off sometimes.

ego.gif

:rofl:

I know that the reaction time thing is what everyone is saying, and it's the obvious 'problem' since he is getting older, it's just... I don't know, I'm suspicious because it's just such an easy answer. The Ovechkin save shows that it's not so straightforward to me. Heck, the 41/42 saves says something similar (and that was over the length of an entire game).

Yea, he's older. He'll admit it himself. I'm not arguing that he's not slower or anything (and I'm not arguing that better goaltending wouldn't help either). The real difference though isn't age to me, it's Daneyko, Stevens, and Neidermayer. Hell, you could add Rafalski and Colin White to that list as well (to a lesser extent, but still). Neither Marty nor Hedburg are the golies that they were even 2 seasons ago, but... in Marties case I keep thinking about Mariano Rivera. Sorry for the cross sport analogy thing, but they strike me as having similar career arcs. The coaching staff had lightened his load, but I don't see him as being done yet.

Go watch a couple Blue Jackets games. heh

The reality is that we're dead in the middle of the pack, league wide, in goals allowed. It's not as bad as y'all seem to think it is, it's just not (at all) what we're used to. Us Devils fans get to watch average goaltending now, for the first time since... I don't know, before Sean Burke played? We'll manage to live through it. One of the kids should break through for us, in a few seasons.

Good thing you're using GAA to rate goaltenders...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/stats/byteam?cat=teamstats&conference=NHL&year=season_2011&cut_type=0&sort=441

If we were average then we would have allowed 15 less goals this season so far.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

What they're supposed to do? See this is the attitude that CR76 is talking about. Are we supposed to win just because we're the Devils? I don't understand it. You KNOW the team is average to above average every night. Why is it just to be assumed that we should win.

Forest, whatever you say. Obviously goaltending cost us this game. But some people on here continuosly flip flop on their feelings about what this team is.

Just read through the thread...the (over)reactions are about par for what I was expecting, especially from ScoreMoreThan3. SMT3, if you've been watching the Devils as long as you claim to, when are you going to learn that the team with the better record doesn't always beat the team with the worse record? Did you happen to catch the Islander-Red Wing game last night? The Devils are a competitive team most nights, but not elite. You have to stop it, with this thinking that the Devils should be automatic victors whenever they face the Calgaries of the NHL.

The only minor quibble I have with the game was DeBoer pulling Marty after the second goal, only because Marty has bounced back before, and had given up just one goal in 3 out of his last 4 games. But I understand why DeBoer did it...he rolled the dice and was hoping to fire up his team, get something going...sometimes moves like that pay off and sometimes they don't. I do give the Devils credit for not mailing it in, especially with the goaltending letting them down...this team clearly has flaws, but they do play hard almost every night.

We all know what the goaltending situation is...Hedberg and Brodeur now have a combined .898 save%, and yes, that's bad. What do the Devils do about it? Realistically, what can they? Brodeur has been showing signs of playing a little better lately, but I'm guessing he won't top last year's overall .903 mark. It's too bad, and it's great that some fans around here had the foresight to look at last year's terrific second half showing and say "Brodeur's not going to be very good this year." He and the Devils understandably thought he had something left, and he was on the last year of his contract. He deserved one more season. All we can really do is hope that the three-out-of-four stronger games he put up before last night is a sign of things to come. I'm not asking him to be elite anymore, but if he can get through this second half giving the Devils at least competent goaltending, I'll take it.

Clearly the once sizable gap between Hedberg's and Brodeur's season numbers have narrowed, and sadly it's because Hedberg's numbers have been steadily declining, as opposed to Brodeur getting hot for an extended stretch. But again, what are the Devils to do? Does anyone really think the Devils are going to say "Thanks for everything Marty, now retire immediately and piss off?" I was all for Hedberg getting a shot at the #1 when he was outplaying Brodeur early, but that ship has sailed...I'm not sure one is all that much better than the other at this point, even if the overall season numbers say otherwise.

Anyway, the point of all of this is we can all bitch about the goaltending all we want, but I think the only choice we realistically have is to hope one or both of these guys get hot, or at least play better for an extended stretch. Marty's not going anywhere, and who is out there that's available at a reasonable price tag that's going to be a good quick fix?

Some or most devils fans are so Bi polar..... we win a few games and everyone is like WOOOO Kovalchuk Parise, Marty is the best we are better than everyone........ we lose 1 or a couple and its changes better be made, parise is walking, Marty is old.... LOL

Some or most devils fans are so Bi polar..... we win a few games and everyone is like WOOOO Kovalchuk Parise, Marty is the best we are better than everyone........ we lose 1 or a couple and its changes better be made, parise is walking, Marty is old.... LOL

THIS. I have been noticing the same thing for quite a while. Everyone's quick to throw certain players to the wolves for having a bad night, or, as Doc and Chico once put it, "snakebitten" for a streak. It's not like they're machines out there, they're human, they're GOING to make mistakes. You just hope it's not at a critical time, but if it is, there really isn't anything you can do about it. Ranting about something a player does or doesn't do won't make it better. You don't know what was going through their mind when they made some play you don't agree with, only they really do...just accept what happened and move on.:horse:

Its not only Devils fans. Any fans are the same. I live in Montreal and when they win 2 or 3 games in a row all the players of team are Gretzky's and they are talking about Cup, when they loose 2 in a row, the whole team needs to get traded.

What is the Devils record against Calgary since our last cup in 2003? I feel like they always give us trouble and have our number since then.

Not sure, but I read an interesting/quirky stat saying we've never beaten the Flames in Calgary in the month of January. 0-5-2 or somesuch.

It's a ridiculous stat, but still. The Flames give us fits, especially in Calgary.

This... I think my problem is when we're losing I should just avoid the GDT, because common sense seems to be thrown out the window. It becomes an irrational sh!t-slinging fest. Some people voice legitimate concerns about the team and that's fine, obviously none of us are happy about that performance last night, but there are others who come to tell us how they are the voice of reason, the prophets that saw this coming, and then they ridicule every slight positive post and try to insult you, because this is the internet where you can be faceless.

It's like I said... we win... everyone is all happy and there is nothing to talk about. The thread will go about 7 pages and the last page will just be comments like "good win." We lose, the thread goes 18 pages, we need to trade Parise, I predicted Marty would suck this year, trade Kovalchuk for Bryzgalov, and all this other random nonsense... but as someone else said, you can't say that Devils fans are like this, because all fans and people in general are like this.

We are what we are. We're getting there but not quite there. On most nights we'll compete, and we'll be right in the running for the playoffs and that's all I can ask.

This... I think my problem is when we're losing I should just avoid the GDT, because common sense seems to be thrown out the window. It becomes an irrational sh!t-slinging fest. Some people voice legitimate concerns about the team and that's fine, obviously none of us are happy about that performance last night, but there are others who come to tell us how they are the voice of reason, the prophets that saw this coming, and then they ridicule every slight positive post and try to insult you, because this is the internet where you can be faceless.

It's like I said... we win... everyone is all happy and there is nothing to talk about. The thread will go about 7 pages and the last page will just be comments like "good win." We lose, the thread goes 18 pages, we need to trade Parise, I predicted Marty would suck this year, trade Kovalchuk for Bryzgalov, and all this other random nonsense... but as someone else said, you can't say that Devils fans are like this, because all fans and people in general are like this.

We are what we are. We're getting there but not quite there. On most nights we'll compete, and we'll be right in the running for the playoffs and that's all I can ask.

That's really the problem with instant access, no-need-to-think, twitter-sized platforms where people can say whatever they want sans filter, really. It gets magnified by losing.

Honestly, the first period sucked obviously, but I thought they looked really good in the second and third periods. But, my opinion is probably null and void because I don't hate one of Kovalchuk, Brodeur, or Parise.

• Like 1