Kovalchuk

Mitico12

I was on the fence about Kovy for awhile, and now I'm behind the signing (though I think it's too many years, but that's a different issue). That said, he's flawed. He's a superstar in a lot of ways -- he can score like nobody's business, he's strong and can double shift, he's a great skater, but he also has holes in his game that other superstars don't. He's still scary in the dzone, though he's improving there, and he doesn't elevate mediocre linesmen like Zach or a big time center would. Considering his salary and its cap implications, I think it's fair to complain about the shortcomings, especially if we lose Zach, who is a much more complete player, and better IMO. I'm not agreeing with Manta anymore than I agree with LD about Marty, but a lot of people here are pointing out real issues, not bashing him. In the end, Kovy should inspire those thoughts -- Kovy apologists and haters are both wrong.

Its true thats hes a superstar with holes in his game... But most of the superstars in the league does... Im pretty sure we cam find a flaw in most of them... And kovy bring stuff that others arent... What other superstar can play 30 min a night... Play the point on the PP... Be that strong... Can snipe... Bring up the puck up the ice like kovy does.... Only stamkos and ovechkin comes to mind to me?..

I mean... The sedins, crosby, st-louis, getzlaf, perry, zetterberg, datsyuk, carter, richards, gaborik, kessel, giroux, kopitar, iginla, vanek, nash...etc etc... They all have flaws

I mean were bashing a guy... When we have parise, kovy, brodeur, larsson, elias on our team... While some team have...cammalleri... Gionta...ladd...booth etc for their top player... We should be pretty happy about our situation i think lol

are we seriously still having this convo that Kovy is greedy? I cant believe there are this many people that actually think he is THIS bad of a person.

That's just it, nobody thinks he's a bad person for taking the most money. I just think it's comical that people rush to find anecdotal evidence that he got offered more elsewhere AS IF taking the most money was bad to begin with. Like we can't have someone stay for the money, it's somehow beneath us as a franchise.

Otherwise it just wouldn't be that important for anyone to try to say he got offered more tax-free from Russia (as if there wasn't the possibility that the Russian money would be worth the same as Monopoly money in a couple of years, given the problems the KHL has).

And the same people who are calling Kovy 'selfless' for taking $100 million - $20 million more than any NHL team offered him - are the ones that are going to be *****ing about Zach if he turns down $55 million to take $70 million elsewhere.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I think most Devils fans are happy Kovy is on this team. Especially the younger and borderline fans. 2 years ago when they were deciding to resign him I told the devils sales reps when they called that I wanted him resigned and if they didnt it would definately have an impact on how many games I went to. There is an excitement when he gets the puck that few players generate (good and bad, lol) I'm glad he's in red and black

I think most Devils fans are happy Kovy is on this team. Especially the younger and borderline fans. 2 years ago when they were deciding to resign him I told the devils sales reps when they called that I wanted him resigned and if they didnt it would definately have an impact on how many games I went to. There is an excitement when he gets the puck that few players generate (good and bad, lol) I'm glad he's in red and black

This

2 years ago when they were deciding to resign him I told the devils sales reps when they called that I wanted him resigned and if they didnt it would definately have an impact on how many games I went to.

Sorry, reading his bothers me. Alot. It's the New Jersey Devils, not the New Jersey Kovalchuks. If the signing or re-signing of one player impacts how many games you go to, don't go at all. You support the team. This is yet another reason why Devils fans get the rep they do, as if anymore examples really need to be focused upon.

Sorry, reading his bothers me. Alot. It's the New Jersey Devils, not the New Jersey Kovalchuks. If the signing or re-signing of one player impacts how many games you go to, don't go at all. You support the team. This is yet another reason why Devils fans get the rep they do, as if anymore examples really need to be focused upon.

Yup. You just hit the nail on the head.

EVERY team was interested.

LMAO.

Besides the Devils who made him an offer? NO ONE.

What was the first thing Grossman did after receiving the offer from the Devils?

He called Los Angeles to see if they would be interested in upping ante because that is where he wanted to play and where his wife's acting career could have started. Los Angeles was not interested because they had to pay for Doughty and a few others.

Good for you super fan! but I want to see a decent product for my hard earned money. I also ENJOY THE GAME of hockey! you can simply wear your shirt if it only about the colors, I wanted them to keep an explosive player with a rare NHL skill set. And this team needs to draw from more than its hardcore base, it needs to get the fringe fans back and excited.

BTW, THey DID resign him AND I have gone out and attended more games to support the franchise including buying more jersey's

Edited by EdgeControl

Good for you super fan! but I want to see a decent product for my hard earned money. I also ENJOY THE GAME of hockey! you can simply wear your shirt if it only about the colors, I wanted them to keep an explosive player with a rare NHL skill set. And this team needs to draw from more than its hardcore base, it needs to get the fringe fans back and excited.

The Rangers need more fans like you.

How did you feel when the Devils missed the Playoffs? Oh yeah, you got to see Kovalchuk! Who cares!

Edited by SJP20

LMAO.

What was the first thing Grossman did after receiving the offer from the Devils?

He called Los Angeles to see if they would be interested in upping ante because that is where he wanted to play and where his wife's acting career could have started. Los Angeles was not interested because they had to pay for Doughty and a few others.

The fact that you can pretend that LA didn't make him several offers is, of course, totally bonkers. LA went out and acquired Mike Richards who has pretty much the same cap hit as Kovalchuk would've had had they managed to sign him. Richards is a better player than Kovalchuk, but I think B. Schenn + Simmonds + Kovalchuk > Richards by a lot.

There are also unsubstantiated reports of teams offering him 1 year deals.

LMAO.

dont be such a tool, you know that not all teams were in a cap situation to make an offer but any team would have been interested in getting Kovy

I told my sales rep that if the Devils signed Kovalchuk, I would go to less games.

Just kidding.

I usually dislike this player intensely, but I'm indifferent now. I have never had lower expectations for a "star" player than I have for Kovalchuk. He's off to a good start though. Good for us.

There's too many off days. Who made this schedule? We're stuck ruminating about this Russian enigma.

Edited by Jerrydevil

LMAO.

main-troll.jpg

The fact that you can pretend that LA didn't make him several offers is, of course, totally bonkers. LA went out and acquired Mike Richards who has pretty much the same cap hit as Kovalchuk would've had had they managed to sign him. Richards is a better player than Kovalchuk, but I think B. Schenn + Simmonds + Kovalchuk > Richards by a lot.

There are also unsubstantiated reports of teams offering him 1 year deals.

You are so naive. "unsubstantiated reports" is agent speak at its best, inventing offers (e.g. KHL, the $10 million "saving face" pseudo offer by the Thrashers management) is Grossman's job.

LA only offered him $5 million a year. They lowballed him because they did not want him. If you tell someone you got an offer of $6.6 million and they come back with less, that is not a legit "offer".

Mike Richards cap hit came at the expense of exchanging other salaries, they were willing to kill their cap for Kovy as a UFA.

The next question, deep down in all your Devil-fan hearts, do you envision Kovalchuk's jersey hanging from the rafters at the Rock twenty years from now? Do you feel he will become a New Jersey legend ala Stevens, Daneyko, and Lamoriello?

If you don't have that feeling, I hope you're wrong, or that Kovy has a one-way ticket out of here soon...

The next question, deep down in all your Devil-fan hearts, do you envision Kovalchuk's jersey hanging from the rafters at the Rock twenty years from now? Do you feel he will become a New Jersey legend ala Stevens, Daneyko, and Lamoriello?

If you don't have that feeling, I hope you're wrong, or that Kovy has a one-way ticket out of here soon...

Kovalchuk will join Stevens, Daneyko, Neidermayer and eventually Brodeur and Elias when and if he becomes a winner in a Devils uniform. All those players that are up there or will be up there were proven winners.

You are so naive. "unsubstantiated reports" is agent speak at its best, inventing offers (e.g. KHL, the $10 million "saving face" pseudo offer by the Thrashers management) is Grossman's job.

Okay, you can either admit that you are trolling, or you're just a moron. Don Waddell said, publicly, that he made an offer to Kovalchuk. He held a press conference about it. You think he was lying? The KHL was obviously willing to pay huge money for Kovalchuk - their owners are ridiculously wealthy and have no intentions of making a profit. Kovalchuk is the 2nd biggest Russian star in the NHL. Omsk was willing to pay a 37 year old Jaromir Jagr $5 million a year - you don't think they have $10 million for Kovalchuk? Or 15 million? Medvedev basically admitted that the KHL would love to have him. But that was all window dressing.

LA only offered him $5 million a year. They lowballed him because they did not want him. If you tell someone you got an offer of $6.6 million and they come back with less, that is not a legit "offer".

Yes, they showed him and his family around LA, had Matt Greene give Kovalchuk a tour of the LA facilities and stuff, all because they didn't want him. Also, NJ's offer was not for 6.6 million a year, nor was LA's offer for $5 million a year.

Mike Richards cap hit came at the expense of exchanging other salaries, they were willing to kill their cap for Kovy as a UFA.

It really didn't, but it's nice to pretend sometimes. They got rid of Ryan Smyth, who wanted to leave anyway.

you cant be serious... why would they have brought him up there to visit the city and everything if they did not want him plus all the offers they were throwing at him and his wife

seriously man its time to let it out... what happened? did you get raped by a kovy looking russian when you were young... tell us whats your problem, there's people that can help. But to keep this grudge inside of you is only consuming your indisdes and its coming out by throlling on this board... but we all know what it is... suffering. let it out man, make the step. Step into life once again, trust god, trust the world

WE CAN HELP

There's too many off days. Who made this schedule? We're stuck ruminating about this Russian enigma.

yeah, what's with us being off for 6 days while everyone else seems to be at least playing 2-3 games during the same time? Great for healing injuries, but not if you're trying to stay hot

Okay, you can either admit that you are trolling, or you're just a moron. Don Waddell said, publicly, that he made an offer to Kovalchuk. He held a press conference about it. You think he was lying? The KHL was obviously willing to pay huge money for Kovalchuk - their owners are ridiculously wealthy and have no intentions of making a profit. Kovalchuk is the 2nd biggest Russian star in the NHL. Omsk was willing to pay a 37 year old Jaromir Jagr $5 million a year - you don't think they have $10 million for Kovalchuk? Or 15 million? Medvedev basically admitted that the KHL would love to have him. But that was all window dressing.

Yes, they showed him and his family around LA, had Matt Greene give Kovalchuk a tour of the LA facilities and stuff, all because they didn't want him. Also, NJ's offer was not for 6.6 million a year, nor was LA's offer for $5 million a year.

Don't forget about Landon Donovan lol, he was part of the LA presentation too. Dean wanted him, there's no question about it. To the point where he was still bitter about not getting him this offseason when he made the crack about how the Brad Richards FA pursuit was different from Kovy because he (Richards) was a mature young man.

Thing is, Deano overplayed his hand dramatically, tried to get him for a 5.3-5.4 cap hit, and probably thought our offer was phantom.

Edited by NJDevs4978