The TV situation...Dismal NJ/MSG effort to have the opener in HD

DevilMinder

Although TG seemed insistent on Twitter that everyone would be getting the MSG+2 feed in HD, in my area they only even listed an SD channel online, with the left side cut off and an embarrassing aspect ratio issue. Ended up watching the Islanders feed, which despite the announcers was honestly fine. I don't know why they bothered with the awful Devils broadcast.

I had the same issue with Time Warner in NYC. The Devils feed was zoomed in psuedo-HD and the Isles feed was perfect. Like many others, I have a hard time listening to the opposing announcers, so I always take the Devils feed, even with all the issues. With the schedule so compressed and the Devils likely to spend some time on MSG+2, I hope this isn't the norm for this season.

I have directv and had the clock cut off, though the picture was HD, which is an upgrade over past years where that was standard and fuzzy looking as all hell.

I feel bad for Steve and the Devils crew honestly. If they're delegated to non-HD all year their viewership is going to suffer big time.

According to MSG's broadcast schedule (PDF), the Devils will get the +2 treatment four more times this year. However, two of those are home games against the Rangers.

Hey, at least you guys got the Devils feed. When you get north of the NYC metro area, carriage of the overflow stations is basically up to the cable companies. Here in Albany, Time Warner declined to carry the Devils feed even though one of the usual channels they use for overflow was available, and on top of that, apparently no one told them that Center Ice had a free preview, so I was stuck with the Isles announcers. However, I didn't notice any problems with the broadcast. (I don't have HD, and the HD-on-SD looked fine to me.)

Also, is the clock/scorebox new this year? I like it, it's a lot more subtle than the bar they had been using.

I have Comcast and MSG+2 HD is now on channel 842 for anyone interested. I watched the game with steve and chico annoucning without any picture issues and perfect sound, i live in central jersey

Me too. This is new for me this season however. They added MSG+2 and MSG2 in HD recently when they rearranged all the HD channels into the 800s, which makes more sense than before where they were all kinds of mixed in the 100s and 200s, the premium(hbo/sho) HD is in 300s, then they're all repeated in the 800s. I however didn't get to watch MSG+2 in HD for the opening game, so I don't know if it works. I have POS Comcast too. I live in NW NJ, some might call it Central if Central NJ existed.