Lots to mull for Devils’ legend Brodeur - Brooks NY Post

msweet

Dryden the "only player in the history of the sport to go into the HOF having played for only 1 team"...

How about #66...MARIO LEMIEUX?!?!?  I would have to believe there are some others, but that one comes to mind immediately

Quick research turns up other 1 team for the career HOF'ers (not an all encompassing list, but some more):

Jean Beliveau

Henri Richard

Stan Mikita

JACQUES LEMAIRE!

Bobby Clarke

Would think Joe Sakic would qualify as the Nords/Avs is the same franchise

Quick research turns up other 1 team for the career HOF'ers (not an all encompassing list, but some more):

Jean Beliveau

Henri Richard

Stan Mikita

JACQUES LEMAIRE!

Bobby Clarke

Would think Joe Sakic would qualify as the Nords/Avs is the same franchise

EDIT:  This would be a great trivia question, "Name 4 of the X players to be in the HOF playing for one franchise their whole career"

I think he meant goalies. 

Speaking of the HOF...I know the waiting period was waived for both Gretzky and Lemieux.  Seems like a longshot, but given that Marty owns so many records, I wonder if the same thing could happen for Marty (probably not). 

Would be nice, but doubtful...

I will 100% be in Toronto for Marty's HOF weekend

Maybe he doesn't get to start all that much for someone else, but at least somewhere else maybe he has more of a shot to.  Here he has NO shot, barring absolute disaster.

I'd almost want that, to be honest. I'd rather see him sign on with another team and start 55 games, than go be a backup somewhere else. At least then I could understand this whole thing. But you have got to give me SOMETHING. Some sort of reasoning why you'd rather go sign on with another team, if only to be a backup, like you are here.

EDIT: I'd even understand if this whole thing started because of some argument, and\or relationship breakdown between Marty & Lou. Like, if 10 years from now, a tell-all book is written by Marty where it's revealed that he and Lou's relationship became strained when the trade for Schneider happened, and how Marty felt blindsided or whatever.. I'd understand that.

Edited by Beezer34

I'd almost want that, to be honest. I'd rather see him sign on with another team and start 55 games, than go be a backup somewhere else. At least then I could understand this whole thing. But you have got to give me SOMETHING. Some sort of reasoning why you'd rather go sign on with another team, if only to be a backup, like you are here.

I mean just this season...I really REALLY hope Marty doesn't try to play again next season (I'd be stunned if he could coax his body through 55 starts, let alone be terribly good for most of them).  But as far as this season goes, like I said, he's got a minimal shot of getting his job back, and the only way it happens is if Schneider gets hurt, or the Devils suck so badly that they figure they have nothing to lose by giving Marty a soyonara victory ride. 

In a way we all should really wait until there's some real declaration to react to.  He may just very well quietly hope for a few more starts before the season's out, then retire...who knows, maybe he'd rather not see that he's only worth a mid-round pick to some team, out of pride's sake.  He's probably still coming to terms with the fact that his career truly is winding down, and that no matter how hard he works or believes in himself, he simply is losing his skills the same way just about all athletes his age do. 

EDIT: I'd even understand if this whole thing started because of some argument, and\or relationship breakdown between Marty & Lou. Like, if 10 years from now, a tell-all book is written by Marty where it's revealed that he and Lou's relationship became strained when the trade for Schneider happened, and how Marty felt blindsided or whatever.. I'd understand that.

not me. wat was lou supposed to do? ride marty without ever finding a successor? marty cant be that stupid to get mad about that.

not me. wat was lou supposed to do? ride marty without ever finding a successor? marty cant be that stupid to get mad about that.

..to be fair, this situation was NOT what Brodeur signed up for. He signed his 2-year contract days after Moose signed his. They both signed for the same length. Would Marty have signed on for an additional year had he known that Lou was going to effectively force Hedberg (a very close friend of Marty's) into retirement.. and thus, cut Brodeur's play considerably with the Schneider deal? I'm not suggesting that I agree with this being enough of a reason why Brodeur would be butt-hurt enough to spite Lou. (provided it's even true) But, if it were his reasoning, I could see why he would become volatile.

EDIT: And I don't blame Lou one bit. I am thrilled with the Schneider trade. That's a deal you make imo. I'm just trying to say; don't pish-posh the possibility that Brodeur's feelings could've been hurt throughout these past 7 months.

Edited by Beezer34

I can't stand to potentially see Marty in a different jersey.   I think Marty really needs to accept he isn't the #1 guy anymore.   All his rivals are retired, all his accomplishments have secured him in the history books.    Marty needs to just enjoy the ride and move on into retirmenet or accept his new role.   I don't think there is a market for him at this point in time, especially in a salary cap era.

..to be fair, this situation was NOT what Brodeur signed up for. He signed his 2-year contract days after Moose signed his. They both signed for the same length. Would Marty have signed on for an additional year had he known that Lou was going to effectively force Hedberg (a very close friend of Marty's) into retirement.. and thus, cut Brodeur's play considerably with the Schneider deal? I'm not suggesting that I agree with this being enough of a reason why Brodeur would be butt-hurt enough to spite Lou. (provided it's even true) But, if it were his reasoning, I could see why he would become volatile.

EDIT: And I don't blame Lou one bit. I am thrilled with the Schneider trade. That's a deal you make imo. I'm just trying to say; don't pish-posh the possibility that Brodeur's feelings could've been hurt throughout these past 7 months.

I'm sure his feelings were hurt.  Sports are largely about hurt feelings when you're not good enough to play anymore.

Just some speculation for you all:

William Brodeur ☝ ‏@Freewill_b 21h

New favorite team #gooilers #oilcountry #betterthanthedevils

Tweet from his son. I'm going to go ahead and assume he's a spoiled kid who wants to see Dad play.

the kid has since deleted the tweet. wonder if this was what the meeting was about yesterday. wow. shocking

Just some speculation for you all:

William Brodeur ☝ ‏@Freewill_b 21h

New favorite team #gooilers #oilcountry #betterthanthedevils

Tweet from his son. I'm going to go ahead and assume he's a spoiled kid who wants to see Dad play.

Absolutely unbelievable. smfh

Absolutely unbelievable. smfh

What part is unbelievable? The idea of him playing for the Oilers or the tweet.

I don't know if the tweet is real, but lets not go attacking the kids calling them spoiled or whatever. Feelings are going to get hurt. If grown men in sports can't be mature or reasonable, then what are we to expect from kids. Athletes in the moment don't even have a clear picture, so are his children supposed to?

Anyway, the kid didn't say anything wrong and if Brodeur does change teams, I would expect his kids to be fans of the new team he plays for. Nothing wrong with that.

Edited by devilsrule33

I would really hate to see Marty go somewhere else, and am definitely one of the folks who want to see him play his whole career here, just like Dano did. But if moving on makes Marty happy, I will absolutely wish him the best. He'll definitely be back if he leaves anyway.

Brodeur to Edmonton would be ridiculous. I'm not saying it's impossible, just ridiculous. The Devils have 23 games left and Brodeur is likely to play what...5 of them? Maybe 6. 

Edmonton has Bryzgalov and Scrivens...Scrivens they're banking on being the goaltender of the future so they're going to want to take a long look at him. He'll get about as many games there as he does here. Why uproot himself now to Edmonton?

What likely happened is this, Brodeur went to Lou and asked for a trade, Lou will be working on it during the olympic break. Brodeur kept his trade request quiet so as not to disrupt things here too much. If Lou can find someone who wants him, he'll do it...if not, he'll just have to gut it out here.

Brodeur is so entrenched in NJ and there is nowhere even remotely desirable he can go, he just needs to be a supportive teammate to Cory and hope this team makes the playoffs. Keep quiet, help the team any way you can.

The fact that Marty might rather leave NJ to go play a few extra games somewhere else while his current team is in a playoff chase doesn't sit well with me.

Edited by '7'

Brodeur to Edmonton would be ridiculous. I'm not saying it's impossible, just ridiculous. The Devils have 23 games left and Brodeur is likely to play what...5 of them? Maybe 6. 

Edmonton has Bryzgalov and Scrivens...Scrivens they're banking on being the goaltender of the future so they're going to want to take a long look at him. He'll get about as many games there as he does here. Why uproot himself now to Edmonton?

What likely happened is this, Brodeur went to Lou and asked for a trade, Lou will be working on it during the olympic break. Brodeur kept his trade request quiet so as not to disrupt things here too much. If Lou can find someone who wants him, he'll do it...if not, he'll just have to gut it out here.

Brodeur is so entrenched in NJ and there is nowhere even remotely desirable he can go, he just needs to be a supportive teammate to Cory and hope this team makes the playoffs. Keep quiet, help the team any way you can.

The fact that Marty might rather leave NJ to go play a few extra games somewhere else while his current team is in a playoff chase doesn't sit well with me.

For the most part, Brodeur pretty much HAS kept quiet and tried to help the team. The only time he mentioned trades or anything like that was when reporters asked directly about them. I don't think he's ever called a reporter over to start airing grievances. He's always been honest, and maybe he didn't think about how those things sound out of context. When you're being honest and winning 40 games, it comes off differently than when you're losing and being honest.

I really think a lot of this goes back to that Marty really can't win. If he stays, he's a distraction because everyone will be asking about trades until the deadline, and then retirement after that, plus all the second guessing every time Cory stumbles.. If he wants to go, then he's giving up on the team. The only thing he could have done is retire or sign somewhere else in 2012, in which case he'd be vilified for abandoning a team that just went to the finals.

Edited by Devil Dan 56

Ryan Smyth for Martin Brodeur wouldn't shock me. I would prefer Hemsky for Brodeur and a prospect/pick.

In a heartbeat

But why would Marty say yes to that. He may get 7 starts the rest of the way for Edmonton...as opposed to the 5 or so he'd get here

Oy vey, if we had a first rounder this season, we could have played Marty in 2/3 of the games and used the off-season to send him off into the sunset and rebuild.

Instead, we have this mess and we're still going to miss the postseason for the 3rd time in 4 years.

Thanks, Ilya.