2012 Miami Dolphins Thread

Hi, I'm VALUE!

For all the sh!t Matt Moore gets he's really not that bad. I probably would've let him start a little more than half the season and see where you stood by then. By starting Tannehill right away you basically box yourself in with him as your QB no matter what (the Seahawks did the same thing with Russell Wilson). This is not a negative thing on Tannehill or Wilson either -- maybe both players really are better than QB's behind them right now -- but I don't see the need to hurry them into the starting role like they did. If they play poorly, you're basically stuck and if you go to the bench it's going to reflect poorly on the situation and maybe hurt the rookie QB's confidence.
. See this is s a popular misconception- Both Tannehill and Wilson won QB competitions in camp fair and square. Tannehill outplayed Moore all preseason. Wilson outplayed Flynn (which by the way, further validates the Dolphins for passing on Flynn, as he couldn't even beat out a 3rd round rookie). He isn't being rushed. He won the job. And Daniel- I'm fairly confident you'll be wrong about this one, and I know you'll be glad you were. This kid has shown more intelligence from a decision making standpoint than any QB we've had recently besides Pennington. Let him grow.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

. See this is s a popular misconception- Both Tannehill and Wilson won QB competitions in camp fair and square. Tannehill outplayed Moore all preseason. Wilson outplayed Flynn (which by the way, further validates the Dolphins for passing on Flynn, as he couldn't even beat out a 3rd round rookie). He isn't being rushed. He won the job. And Daniel- I'm fairly confident you'll be wrong about this one, and I know you'll be glad you were. This kid has shown more intelligence from a decision making standpoint than any QB we've had recently besides Pennington. Let him grow.

He won the starting job by playing against the second stringers. He really didn't do all that much in what I saw.

He won the starting job by playing against the second stringers. He really didn't do all that much in what I saw.

. Both Tannehill and Moore got equal time against the 1's in practice. Tannehill outplayed Moore. He also outplayed Moore when he played against 1's and Moore played against 2's in the preseason games. Moore looked like sh!t against backups. And Garrard got hurt. That's reality. Tannehill is undoubtedly the best QB on the roster. And he has one guy on offense you could classify as a playmaker, and that's Reggie Bush. I'd say given the circumstances, he's doing fine.

Since when are preseason results fair? Moore was a pretty decent NFL QB for the Dolphins last year while Tannehill was a pretty average QB in the Big 12; why should that be overlooked in favor of a couple exhibition games and training camp? I don't know, that seems pretty crazy to me. It's not like Tannehill wouldn't likely get his chance anyway; if Moore played like ass, or the Dolphins fell out of it by midseason and wanted to spark some change, he'd get his shot.

The Seahawks brought Flynn in as a free agent; I can't imagine what the harm would be in seeing what he could do before turning to a 3rd round QB, though I'll admit this situation is a little more murky because I really have no idea what Flynn (2 career starts) can or cannot do in the NFL and Wilson was underrated in the draft because of his height.

Also consider this stat for rookie QB's thrown right into starter gig:

The performance of those rookie quarterbacks who go straight into the fire tends to be pretty bad. Since 1994, the handful of guys who have done so have been dismal through their first four games, completing 55 percent of their passes, averaging six yards per throw, and offering up twice as many picks as touchdowns. Debuting players who weren't rookies — players like Philip Rivers and Carson Palmer — have completed 60 percent of their passes, averaged seven yards per attempt, and thrown about 50 percent more touchdowns than picks. Similar statistics hold for veterans starting those same games. Teams using those debuting starters will undoubtedly have to take their lumps on offense.

-Grantland

Edited by nmigliore

Chad Henne couldn't beat out Blaine Gabbert....that's as bottom of the barrel as it gets....you lose sir! :P

First, Gabbert winning the starting job was a fait accomplis given how high the Jags drafted him.

Second, that Henne isn't very good was the point I was making. He played much better than Tannehill at similar stages of their careers. (Remember the Jets Monday night game, where people for at least a few weeks were forgetting about passing up on Matt Ryan).

Tannehill was pretty good, so that's a plus. Still, we're still very much a happy to be here kind of team. But I guess that's what the idea was from the start.
. He threw for 431- he was fantastic. The turnovers are tough, but I can't fault him horribly for either of them. And how about Hartline- leading the league in receiving. That's mind boggling lol. He had 253 yards receiving yesterday- franchise record. I'm pissed at the defense for the loss ultimately though (plus Carpenter missed ANOTHER kick, albeit 51 yards)... 8 sacks, but none of them came on the 4th and 10 we needed to stuff to seal the deal. This defense can NEVER get a big stop, and this goes back to the JT/Zach/Madison/Surtain days. It doesn't matter who the players are, it doesn't matter who the coaches are, the defense sh!ts down their leg in a big spot and I'm long beyond sick of it. At least it looks like we found our QB though. He'll have his ups and downs as a rookie, but he was VERY impressive yesterday, by any standard.

<br /><br />Jake Long is healthy. Mike Pouncey has another year of experience. Jonathan Martin appears to have been an improvement over Vernon Carey.
. And John Jerry has been steady at RG. After dicking around since he was drafted, it seems he's finally caught on. But by far the most important thing in the better play of the offensive line is the departure of Tony Sparano. He juggled o-line combinations like a drunken dipsh!t and never let any chemistry form. Philbin has used the same starting 5 since July and it shows because they have chemistry now. Edited by MadDog2020

Greeeeat, Richard Marshall is out for Sunday. RJ Stanford is taking his place and Nolan Carroll is starting opposite Smith. I'm afraid to even watch this secondary on Sunday. This could be ugly as fvck. At least I have Dalton starting in my money league. If we're gonna get torched, I might as well get some fantasy points lol.

BIG win today baby!! That was one we absolutely had to have. Another very solid outing for Tannehill- 17-26 for 223 and no picks. Felt the pressure great and moved well in the pocket. Made some fantastic throws (the one to Clay that he put on a dime through a pinhole as he was being drilled by a Cincy rusher comes to mind immediately) again and was very smart with the football. The accuracy and decision making gets better each week. He continues to accurately read defenses and check into plays that result in positive yardage based off his reads. He doesn't lock on as much to his receiver, going through his progressions and finding the open man. Really all you can ask for and a little more from a rookie QB. I'm very impressed about the way this kid has played, and I hope he just continues to get better. The defense was money in the bank today. Don't even bother trying to run on the Dolphins. 'Aint happening. And the secondary stepped up and got sh!t done. Nice job by Sean Smith- that's Fitzgerald and now AJ Green he's locked down effectively in back-to-back weeks. He continues to improve, and that's great to see. And Randy Starks is a fvcking BEAST. Pay the man Ireland. He disrupted sh!t today, and he's been consistently disrupting sh!t all year. PAY THE MAN. Riding high. Feels good to win baby. Feels reaaal good.

Tannehill was very impressive. I'm becoming a believer.

Imagine where we'd be if we had even an average kicker.

. I told ya brother. Just gotta be patient. He's still gonna make his mistakes, all rookies do- but the kid sure looks like a gamer, that's very evident.

Still want to see how he performs against the Patriots and San Fran.

. Those will be great measuring stick games. He's done well against pretty good defenses on the road in Arizona and Cincy, so that's very encouraging. The 49ers may have the best defense in the business, so that will be a great test.

. Those will be great measuring stick games. He's done well against pretty good defenses on the road in Arizona and Cincy, so that's very encouraging. The 49ers may have the best defense in the business, so that will be a great test.

Not even so much because they have good defenses, but to see if he can keep pace with offensively explosive teams.

It will be interesting to see how Miami's O-line fares against the impressive St. Louis pass rush.

Love Jeff Fisher and what he brings to a team.

. I like Fisher too, I was disappointed when he chose the Rams over the Fins (although I'm happy with Philbin so far). St. Louis is a very improved team- this will be a tough game. Glad we have it in our house in the heat and humidity.

. I like Fisher too, I was disappointed when he chose the Rams over the Fins (although I'm happy with Philbin so far). St. Louis is a very improved team- this will be a tough game. Glad we have it in our house in the heat and humidity.

I don't blame Fisher for passing on the Fins, he would not have as much control over personnel. He wanted to avoid the owner calling the draft picks (e.g. Vince Young), Rams gave him that. Fins would not.

I don't blame Fisher for passing on the Fins, he would not have as much control over personnel. He wanted to avoid the owner calling the draft picks (e.g. Vince Young), Rams gave him that. Fins would not.

To be fair to Ross, he hasn't made personnel decisions, much less draft decisions, so far as I know.