2012 Miami Dolphins Thread

Hi, I'm VALUE!

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in a noisy bar, but am I correct that the false start at the end of the game was clearly an offside? Also, that was a garbage holding call on the kick return.

Yes to both. The false start was clearly a pass rusher running through the neutral zone early and should have been called Offsides. And the "holding" call was the Colt player pulling the Dolphin player down by his jersey. The false start in particular was massively costly. But I have to agree with MadDog...everything about our pass coverage stunk this past week. Hopefully this is a "growing" loss and we take care of our next 3 (Tennessee, Buffalo, Seattle in our building) before the top dogs come through the schedule.

Turns out I am traveling to FLA for business next week and landing on Sunday morning. Are Dolphin tickets available on game day?
. Lmfao. Available? You can probably buy the upper deck. Although hopefully it won't stay that way if we keep winning. Edited by MadDog2020

. You and many others. The ones who did pay to watch that garbage yesterday should be given a refund and a medal. What a joke. Thank God for the short week, at least I don't have to chew on that sh!tburger all week.

I'm kinda a glad it happened in a way. It at least brought my expectations for the season back down to reality. I'll admit I got caught up with the hype this season and began expecting a lot from this team. While I think this is still an ok team, I can see the gaping holes now and that it really is a work in progress.

I'm kinda a glad it happened in a way. It at least brought my expectations for the season back down to reality. I'll admit I got caught up with the hype this season and began expecting a lot from this team. While I think this is still an ok team, I can see the gaping holes now and that it really is a work in progress.

. Not glad it happened, but I get what you're saying and I agree with the point you're trying to make. I admit I got a little caught up too- yesterday reminded me it's a process, but I'm still pissed about the sheer lack of effort. That's on the coaches, because this is the first time under Philbin where they haven't been prepared to play. But I understand it's a process. It's frustrating because I've been through 563985 'processes' with this fvcking team, but there's still a lack of talent in a lot of places. That doesn't excuse the better players on the roster from not performing to expectations though (*COUGH* Jake Long, Sean Smith, Reggie Bush). Tannehill also played like a rookie. You knew that would probably happen at some point though. Now let's see how he and the team respond on a short week in a division road game.

I don't understand what exactly happened to this team. We looked SOOO much better at the beginning of the year. I know we were 3-3 but we were hanging in there and lost a couple games solely because of missed field goals. But now...this looks like a different team. Tanny looks like a rookie. Our defense is regressing horribly and our secondary has decided to just completely give up. And the O-Line is atrocious. It looks like they're not even trying sometimes. It's just sad. I wasn't expecting playoffs, but I wanted to compete at least. Going backwards is more annoying than sucking from day 1.

I don't understand what exactly happened to this team. We looked SOOO much better at the beginning of the year. I know we were 3-3 but we were hanging in there and lost a couple games solely because of missed field goals. But now...this looks like a different team. Tanny looks like a rookie. Our defense is regressing horribly and our secondary has decided to just completely give up. And the O-Line is atrocious. It looks like they're not even trying sometimes. It's just sad. I wasn't expecting playoffs, but I wanted to compete at least. Going backwards is more annoying than sucking from day 1.

As it stands right now, the Phins are one of those teams that's good enough to make the playoffs if things go right, similar to what the Bengals have been over the past few years, but not much more.

Question is, how do the Dolphins get to that next level of teams like the Ravens, Pittsburgh, and New England that are a good bet year in and year out for a deep playoff run, even if things might go wrong in a particular year? I would say it's finding, somehow, an elite corner like Revis or Tillman, and maybe another pass rusher like JPP. Maybe also finding a very good, but not necessarily elite, wide receiver, kind of like Hakeem Nicks.

As it stands right now, the Phins are one of those teams that's good enough to make the playoffs if things go right, similar to what the Bengals have been over the past few years, but not much more.

Question is, how do the Dolphins get to that next level of teams like the Ravens, Pittsburgh, and New England that are a good bet year in and year out for a deep playoff run, even if things might go wrong in a particular year? I would say it's finding, somehow, an elite corner like Revis or Tillman, and maybe another pass rusher like JPP. Maybe also finding a very good, but not necessarily elite, wide receiver, kind of like Hakeem Nicks.

I am sorry, but when you lose by 34 points to the Titans and then lose to the Bills, you aren't close to a playoff team. If everything goes right? It isn't like they lost by a field goal or blew a lead late in the game. I understand that they haven't been bloown out much at all, but they also haven't beaten many good teams either. This team is not even remotely close to the teams you listed and it starts with upgrading the QB position big time. Not saying drafting a new QB, but I don't like Tannehill very much at all, and I didn't like him at Texas AM. He may be the long-term answer, but right now I don't see it.

They also need to upgrade almost every other position at offense.

I am sorry, but when you lose by 34 points to the Titans and then lose to the Bills, you aren't close to a playoff team. If everything goes right? It isn't like they lost by a field goal or blew a lead late in the game. I understand that they haven't been bloown out much at all, but they also haven't beaten many good teams either. This team is not even remotely close to the teams you listed and it starts with upgrading the QB position big time. Not saying drafting a new QB, but I don't like Tannehill very much at all, and I didn't like him at Texas AM. He may be the long-term answer, but right now I don't see it.

I say good enough for a playoff spot in that there's usually one very mediocre team that gets a playoff spot every year by virtue of an easy schedule, bad luck by other teams, etc. Phins are just mediocre enough, while god awful teams like the Jaguars and Chiefs have very little chance. Blow-out by the Titans notwithstanding, Dolphins have been in every game they were supposed to be. You obviously strive for much better, but it isn't a disaster. But for very close losses to Arizona and the Jets, and with a better performance against the Colts, the Phins would be in a comfortable spot for a wildcard. They obviously lost those games, and deservedly so. And even if they won those games and managed to get into the playoffs, they would likely be destroyed in the first round.

Is Tannehill the answer? Who knows. What I do know is that he's the QB for at least the next two years. It would take an Andrew Luck type QB in the draft to ditch Tannehill before then, and we all know that's nowhere on the horizon. As I've said before though, an elite QB is not completely necessary to be an upper echelon team. Alex Smith and Joe Flacco are nothing special.

The Tannehill criticism is rubbish. If he's still at this level this time next year and they've vastly improved on their personnel around him then we can start whispering about it. Expecting every QB to be a superstar out of the gate is completely unrealistic. He's going to get 2-3 years to come out of the blocks and prove he can do it.

There's really no excuse for how bad the offensive line has been playing. We've got, IIRC, tons of money invested in these guys, and the only one playing well as far as I can see is Pouncey. When Reggie Bush is getting blown up five yards back from the line and D-linemen are sitting on the passing lanes, waiting for the pass to be thrown, I don't think we're going to have that much of a chance of success.

Assuming we retain Wake (no certainty), we're probably a WR and a couple of O-linemen away from competing. I'd love to have a decent partner for Sean Smith too, but that might be asking a lot.

Edited by Hi, I'm VALUE!

The Tannehill criticism is rubbish. If he's still at this level this time next year and they've vastly improved on their personnel around him then we can start whispering about it. Expecting every QB to be a superstar out of the gate is completely unrealistic. He's going to get 2-3 years to come out of the blocks and prove he can do it.

There's really no excuse for how bad the offensive line has been playing. We've got, IIRC, tons of money invested in these guys, and the only one playing well as far as I can see is Pouncey. When Reggie Bush is getting blown up five yards back from the line and D-linemen are sitting on the passing lanes, waiting for the pass to be thrown, I don't think we're going to have that much of a chance of success.

Assuming we retain Wake (no certainty), we're probably a WR and a couple of O-linemen away from competing. I'd love to have a decent partner for Sean Smith too, but that might be asking a lot.

Why is any criticism of Tanny rubbish? I am just not a big fan. Rookie or not. Scoring 7 points on the Bills defense is pretty inexcusable. I am shocked they didn't go to Moore at the half. Their season was on the line last night. It's tough to properly rate rookie QBs anymore when it seems so many of them over the last little while (Newton, Luck, RGIII, Wilson, among others) have been so good. It's hard to remember what a rookie is supposed to look like. I just don't buy that he'll be very good.

Why is any criticism of Tanny rubbish? I am just not a big fan. Rookie or not. Scoring 7 points on the Bills defense is pretty inexcusable. I am shocked they didn't go to Moore at the half. Their season was on the line last night. It's tough to properly rate rookie QBs anymore when it seems so many of them over the last little while (Newton, Luck, RGIII, Wilson, among others) have been so good. It's hard to remember what a rookie is supposed to look like. I just don't buy that he'll be very good.

Tannehill wasn't awful enough to get yanked last night. No he wasn't great, but he had one promising drive stopped because of a fumble by Hartline. Carpenter makes that field goal, they're not rushing for a touchdown on the last drive.

I'm not trying to make excuses, but Tannehill has been about as good as a rookie QB that isn't named Andrew Luck.

Well now that we can put the playoff pipe dream to bed, we can get back to what this season was supposed to be about: Tannehill's development. It's painfully clear he has a long way to go, but it's as painfully clear that this kid has no real chance to succeed until we get him a deep threat WR and a seam threat TE. Along with a running game and an o-line. So pretty much an entire offense. His judgement begins then, and only then. Brady would have trouble sustaining any kind of consistent play behind an o-line that can't block and no playmakers at WR or TE.

• 2 weeks later...

Tannehill's numbers aren't pretty, but he's had moments and he's getting valuable experience. He's learning. Overall, if you're a Dolphin fan, you've got to consider this a pretty positive year...just take a look at life in Jetland, to see how a season can go truly and horribly wrong.