Move Over Panera...There's a New Hot Spot in Town

Neb00rs

Chipotle is the fvcking sh!t. Two have opened up in the Lehigh Valley now and depending on where work takes me I'll probably end up at one of em at least twice a week.

You can't beat their burrito bowls. A double steak bowl with brown rice, black beans, mild salsa and a pinch of cheese nets you like 50g of protein and only 700ish calories I believe.

And for only $9? Can't beat that.

Edited by Devilsfan118

I can't imagine how much local economies would improve if we didn't have places like this. Most of us live in NJ suburbs where places like applebees and tgifs and chilis are the only places to go out to eat

That really isn't true. There are more mom and pop places in Morris County and northern NJ in general then anywhere else I can think of. Hell, we're the diner capital of the world for cryin' out loud. I see so many bars, pubs and local joints that I can safely say this is a false statement.

Also Chipotle is amazing but anyone that's anyone in Northern NJ knows that there are so many small hole in the wall places in Dover that have the best and most authentic Mexican food around.

Edited by TheMazz

Tgif gives my stomach issues. Applebee's has good boneless wings, but their steak is to pricy. You guys should try Qdoba or Pollo Tropical,both are like Chipotle and good.

Qdoba is decent.  Not the best out of the bunch but def better than Chipotle.  Pollo Tropical is awesome.  Used to go to the one in Edison once in a while when it was still around.  Now its a Dunkin Donuts.

Applebees is the bottom of the barrel with chain restaurants.  When I see the food come out and its on my plate, it literally looks like a lean cuisine was dumped onto a plate and served to me.  I know these chains use a lot of frozen/pre-prepared food but they at least make it look like it wasn't.  Applebeers doesn't seem to give a damn.

I can't imagine how much local economies would improve if we didn't have places like this. Most of us live in NJ suburbs where places like applebees and tgifs and chilis are the only places to go out to eat

Honestly, I do not think much at all.

I think it would have some impact since Mom and Pop places would likely purchase more local meats and produce than a chain restaurant would. How much of an impact that would have is debatable though.

To comment on chain restaurant: I pretty much avoid them at all costs. Most of them manage to not fvck food up, but they're all mediocre at best. That and they're all basically the same in their menu options and theme/decor. They're a notch above fast food places imo. The cheesecake factory is the worst imo, their menu is gigantic, but everything is loaded with salt and just far too richly seasoned or sauced. Applebees isn't fat behind them, but that's more due to their crappy food than it's preparation. Their steaks are particularly sh!tty.

That being said, I do like Outback steakhouse, but I consider that a guilty pleasure, lol. I really like their buffalo wings for some reason.

I think it would have some impact since Mom and Pop places would likely purchase more local meats and produce than a chain restaurant would. How much of an impact that would have is debatable though.

To comment on chain restaurant: I pretty much avoid them at all costs. Most of them manage to not fvck food up, but they're all mediocre at best. That and they're all basically the same in their menu options and theme/decor. They're a notch above fast food places imo. The cheesecake factory is the worst imo, their menu is gigantic, but everything is loaded with salt and just far too richly seasoned or sauced. Applebees isn't fat behind them, but that's more due to their crappy food than it's preparation. Their steaks are particularly sh!tty.

That being said, I do like Outback steakhouse, but I consider that a guilty pleasure, lol. I really like their buffalo wings for some reason.

What's weird is that for all that chain restaurants are pretty much consistent, people can have wildly different experiences.  I guess that's just personal preferences.  Last time I went to Outback was 2 years ago after not stepping foot in one for at least 5 years prior.  Worst steak meal that I can remember.  Steak was overcooked (I asked for medium and I got cooked to death) and the sides were laughably bad.

Chain restaurants maintain their consistency from location to location because most of the stuff they get is pre-prepared from their distributor.  That means loads of salt and a ton of sauce to hide the fact that it's mostly frozen stuff.  Cheesecake factory is alright, but you are right as their menu might be the unhealthiest menu in the US (and for that matter the world).

Mom and pop places also tend to fail more often as the restaurant business is pretty cutthroat.  That and the fact that pretty much every chain restaurant has a bar inside means that towns are particularly eager to approve them to be built/zoned so they can sell them a liquor license.  Plus the fact that mom and pop places can be unpredictable in terms of quality and experience, a lot of people like to go to chains as it affords a level of comfort and predictability that a lot of American's seem to value more than let's say their European peers.

I don't like chipotle. Too much rice, too bland. Of course, in spoiled, since the taco joint on my block has $2.50 tacos with a ton of meat and veggies, and homemade sauce.

Somebody asked about Ironnound restaurants before. I love Fernandes for steak, best I've ever had, though a bit pricy. For a nice, affordable meal, Casa Basca is great. Portucale is good as well, and they usually have good specials, though I haven't been there since the owner got arrested for laundering money for the mob... Some people swear by Hell's Kitchen for pre/post game, but I prefer Bello's, which is also right next to Penn Station.

Edited by mouse

Imo, nothing beats McWhorter BBQ. Best food, best deal.

Forgot them. They're great. Way better than Ferry BBQ imo.

Forgot them. They're great. Way better than Ferry BBQ imo.

The reason I love McWhorter is you pay like $6 for a huge plate of chicken, rice, and fries, and it's delicious. They typically bring it fast and they are not over crowded like some of the other pre-game establishments. Though I know many fans prefer a louder, more bar-type lively pre-game atmosphere.

Edited by Neb00rs

The reason I love McWhorter is you pay like $6 for a huge plate of chicken, rice, and fries, and it's delicious. They typically bring it fast and they are not over crowded like some of the other pre-game establishments. Though I know many fans prefer a louder, more bar-type lively pre-game atmosphere.

Yeah, though I was there 1 night when it was randomly hopping and they were completely out of chicken. It was gonna take like an hour to make a new batch, so I had to go. Crushing. Edited by mouse

Yeah, though I was there 1 night when it was randomly hopping and they were completely out of chicken. It was gonna take like an hour to make a new batch, so I had to go. Crushing.

I have experienced this on one or two rare occasions too. It's extra crushing if you walked over there from the arena lot too.

Edited by Neb00rs