attendance..

Beezer34

image_zps4dd2dff2.jpg

..after the mighty death of "Matteau!" last year.. are we getting another monkey off our backs?

Some track-record leading up to this season..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2007; 74% filled to capacity. (ranked 28th)

2011; 83% filled to capacity.. 14,775 average for the year, (ranked 25th)

2012; 87% filled to capacity.. 15,397 average for the year. (ranked 22nd)

2013; 98% filled to capacity.. 17,311 average for the year. (ranked 19th)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Devils have soldout 23 of the last 30 games.. 20 of the last 21.. and have averaged 17,000 in attendance over the last 30 home games.

17,000 over the last 30!!

2 questions.. #1. Have we finally turned the corner as a franchise where we have cultivated a LARGE diehard foundation? ..and #2. What are some opinions as to why the rise?

Can't credit it entirely on the postseason, because only 10 games of the span were from playoffs.. leaving ⅔ of the last 30 from the regular-season. (where actually more sellouts took place)

Can't say it's due to our "all-star cast of characters" either, because we've lost names since 2011. (Parise, Arnott, Sykora, Shanahan, etc)

Can't say it's directly from visiting fans of NY\PA teams, because games like Ottawa, Carolina, Florida, Dallas, Washington, have been sellouts since last March.

..it's an amazing influx, and a true testament to the fans. Just curious at some opinions regarding why.

Edited by Beezer34

the 2012 playoff run has helped spike attendance quite nicely....the crowds are coming in almost as if we won the damn thing. I think people really believe in this team. They play an exciting brand of hockey and rise to the occasion a heck of a lot better than the 07-11 squads.

Beating the Rags and Flyers in back to back series gave Devils fans an enormous chunk of pride. I think you're seeing a lot of them puff their chests out a little bit. Even in home games vs NYR and Philly...there hasn't been a large influx of outsiders. Were there even 300 Flyers fans there today?

Also, the lockout helped. We had people chomping at the bit to get back at it after the playoffs. A couple extra months only made it more frenzied. There may be some people who stayed out because they were pissed, but I thought I'd be one of them, and I was sold as soon as the puck dropped. Hopefully we make another deep run this year and solidify the base.

The Devils got to the Finals on forechecking and yet there are still loads of dumb trap jokes, so until we set some kind of inarguable record, it won't stop no matter how ridiculous it is 

Attendance has been great but I just wish the Devils could sell a lot of those seats without looking to discount them for every game.

Tickets for the game tonight were min $60-something on Stubhub for the upper deck. Even the game for Ottawa on Monday afternoon doesn't have super cheap tickets. The weekday games though haven't *all* had deals and some of them aren't that great and even the Rags have living social deals this year so far. 

I'll take it no matter what  :D

Edited by DH26

The Devils got to the Finals on forechecking and yet there are still loads of dumb trap jokes, so until we set some kind of inarguable record, it won't stop no matter how ridiculous it is 

Tickets for the game tonight were min $60-something on Stubhub for the upper deck. Even the game for Ottawa on Monday afternoon doesn't have super cheap tickets. The weekday games though haven't *all* had deals and some of them aren't that great and even the Rags have living social deals this year so far. 

I'll take it no matter what  :D

I hear ya. I've gotten good money on the games I haven't been able to attend from my season ticket package. The value is definitely there this year.

I hear ya. I've gotten good money on the games I haven't been able to attend from my season ticket package. The value is definitely there this year.

Hah, I sold a couple of them too quick because with expected attendance drag games (last Thursday, this Monday) you want to offload them before the price really plummets closer to the game.  But since the demand's been slowly going through the roof this year secondary market prices went up after I sold a couple of my pairs, oh well :P  Can't really complain since I got a 'free' game with the Caps in the lower bowl, and a suite upgrade tonight, among other things.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Attendance has been great but I just wish the Devils could sell a lot of those seats without looking to discount them for every game.

..you still have people struggling financially, which is why the spike in TV ratings answers that question. https://mobile.twitter.com/TGfireandice/statuses/301423438101372929

The typical math you hear from people working @ ticket offices, are: "that in an average year you lose and gain 1,000 season ticket holders".. yet that's not happening here. For 4 years running now, Devil fans have been adding 2,000+ STH's per season.. and retaining the ones they already have.

VBK's theory is that a lot of people came to the Rock for the first time during those 11 playoff games, and they left impressed by how good the arena is. (The success of the team doesn't hurt either!)

I think another related factor is the atmosphere of those playoff games.  The place was boppin' for every single game, and it's a hell of a lot more fun than the library-ish atmosphere we usually had until then.  More fun = more desire to go to another game.  I think this also adds to the increase in pride Devils fans have in the team.  It's easier to be proud of a team that plays in an arena filled to capacity with a boisterous, passionate crowd.  It makes you feel like your fan allegiance isn't something that you should be reserved or ashamed of when interacting with Rangers or Flyers fans.

Yeah atmosphere has totally kicked ass and its a lot easier to build a good, playoff-like atmosphere with a packed house.. You can definitely see at games how young our fan base really is and it's awesome.. They bring the passion and the energy.. Outsiders never believed us when we tried to explain this concept, but its showing now..

There really weren't a lot of Flyer fans at either game this season and you could tell they don't feel like they run the joint anymore.. They got a ton of sh!t leaving the building and will only be more hesitant to come up in the future.. I love that our fan base is pushing back

I think long term, well you obviously need a competitive team and can't become the Islanders/Thrashers, but this organization will be fine.. We'll still probably never be a team with a STH waiting list but that's fine.. We have proven we have the fan base here to stand the test of time.. Remember, Devils have 10k STH.. That's huge and their current plan would be to cap it around 12,000 and just do singles/groups to fill the remainder, so we're not far off

Overall: The New Jersey Devils are a solid team with tremendous fan support now that will carry over for years to come.. It will only get better.. Go to a bunch of games this season and enjoy!!

Yeah atmosphere has totally kicked ass and its a lot easier to build a good, playoff-like atmosphere with a packed house.. You can definitely see at games how young our fan base really is and it's awesome.. They bring the passion and the energy.. Outsiders never believed us when we tried to explain this concept, but its showing now.. There really weren't a lot of Flyer fans at either game this season and you could tell they don't feel like they run the joint anymore.. They got a ton of sh!t leaving the building and will only be more hesitant to come up in the future.. I love that our fan base is pushing back I think long term, well you obviously need a competitive team and can't become the Islanders/Thrashers, but this organization will be fine.. We'll still probably never be a team with a STH waiting list but that's fine.. We have proven we have the fan base here to stand the test of time.. Remember, Devils have 10k STH.. That's huge and their current plan would be to cap it around 12,000 and just do singles/groups to fill the remainder, so we're not far off Overall: The New Jersey Devils are a solid team with tremendous fan support now that will carry over for years to come.. It will only get better.. Go to a bunch of games this season and enjoy!!

If they scaled back the upper level sth prices a hair, they could probably walk to 12,000 sth's.  But that's a different discussion for a different day, they probably want to get people committed to the 100's first before adjusting the 200's.

As much as I loved the ice cream suite last night, it was very noticeable (as it always is when sitting elsewhere), hearing the chants in the upper bowl and not having one person in the suite partake.  I was kinda surprised too since they're all sth's and not the corporate people that usually sit in the suites/clubs :P

Edited by NJDevs4978

Yeah atmosphere has totally kicked ass and its a lot easier to build a good, playoff-like atmosphere with a packed house.. You can definitely see at games how young our fan base really is and it's awesome.. They bring the passion and the energy.. Outsiders never believed us when we tried to explain this concept, but its showing now.. There really weren't a lot of Flyer fans at either game this season and you could tell they don't feel like they run the joint anymore.. They got a ton of sh!t leaving the building and will only be more hesitant to come up in the future.. I love that our fan base is pushing back I think long term, well you obviously need a competitive team and can't become the Islanders/Thrashers, but this organization will be fine.. We'll still probably never be a team with a STH waiting list but that's fine.. We have proven we have the fan base here to stand the test of time.. Remember, Devils have 10k STH.. That's huge and their current plan would be to cap it around 12,000 and just do singles/groups to fill the remainder, so we're not far off Overall: The New Jersey Devils are a solid team with tremendous fan support now that will carry over for years to come.. It will only get better.. Go to a bunch of games this season and enjoy!!

If they scaled back the upper level sth prices a hair, they could probably walk to 12,000 sth's. But that's a different discussion for a different day, they probably want to get people committed to the 100's first before adjusting the 200's.

Yup totally agree.. I guess they do really clean up for games like last night when they get $60 a seat in the uppers.. I do like that the balconies are full, they're way more visible and noise carries a lot better from there.. Just hope they keep my special price because I could not possibly compete with $22 balconies at $31 upper corners.. They don't seem to understand the disparity between the corner seats and center seats in terms of resale value

Edited by Colin226

VBK's theory is that a lot of people came to the Rock for the first time during those 11 playoff games, and they left impressed by how good the arena is. (The success of the team doesn't hurt either!)

+1 - In all honesty I think people were afraid to go to Newark. When the playoffs came they said screw it, I have to go see them. When they got there, they noticed they didn't have to drive through the projects, park in well lit areas, and the whole atmosphere around the rock was pleasant. That part of newark is not a "bad" area, but I mean 5 blocks away it can turn pretty quickly. 

its definitely a huge help, but lets not forget that so far we've seen a tuesday night sellout against carolina and a thursday night sellout against the islanders.   that never happened before in devil-land.

Definitely, but you also don't have to deal with October-December attendance (hurt by the NFL and other sports) in an 82-game season this year.  No pre-Thanksgiving games against Columbus in a 48-game season.

But yeah, games that would get 13,000 in a normal season selling out is a huge difference.

Edited by NJDevs4978

You can definitely see at games how young our fan base really is and it's awesome.. They bring the passion and the energy.. Outsiders never believed us when we tried to explain this concept, but its showing now.

I think you touched on something important re: how young this franchise still is. I can remember the slams from Ranger fans starting while in college in 2001.. which was asinine looking back, because (at that time) the Devils were a 19 year old team. It takes DECADES to groom a die-hard passionate fanbase.. it just doesn't happen in 20 some odd years. It's a slow build, and for the Devils.. it's finally happening.

That 14 year old fan in 2010 is now 17. He's entering college, he can drive, and he has a job. THOSE are the fans I see at the Rock!

In all honesty I think people were afraid to go to Newark. When the playoffs came they said screw it, I have to go see them. When they got there, they noticed they didn't have to drive through the projects, park in well lit areas, and the whole atmosphere around the rock was pleasant. That part of newark is not a "bad" area, but I mean 5 blocks away it can turn pretty quickly.

..excellent point. Edited by Beezer34

The condensed, intra conference schedule probably helps as well.

... this and also the timing of the start of the season.  VBK has always said in the past that attendance picks up after the NFL season ends and both the Jets and Giants missed the playoffs, so the NFL season ended here around New Years.  Plus the Nets are gone, but I don't know how much of an impact that has.

But the Devils have been discounting tickets - and just giving some away to STH's - as well.  Frankly, it's something they should've been doing for years.  Better to get something from a fan in a seat than nothing from an empty seat.