2014 Draft Thread

thefiestygoat

I have a feelin Honka/McKeon/Deangelo will be gone by 30 .  Wonder how high scouting has Dougherty & Glover? 

While I generally agree that best player available is the way to go, I think it has to be best available forward, unless Lou plans on trading a few of the young defensemen in the future.  We have a ton of defensive prospects that all stand at least a better than 50/50 chance of being longterm NHLers, and relatively soon at that to the extent that they already haven't firmly established themselves in the NHL (Merrill, and arguably Larsson and Gelinas).  We really don't need anymore.

The only exception I would make is for Deangelo.  He has a unique skill set, and could pay major dividends.  Still given the bust risk, I would probably take my chances and wait until 41 to see if he's still available.

Otherwise, I'm very much warming to the idea of taking Brendan Lemieux at 30 if he's available.  While I am not a talent evaluator, he seems like another one of those guys you can count on to be a regular NHLer in a few years time, albeit perhaps a somewhat underwhelming one.  However, I can imagine a line that includes Matteau and Lemieux will drive other teams absolutely bonkers. 

Brendan Lemieux on being drafted:

he was asked:

What about the Devils, who own the No. 30 pick in the first round?

"I'd love to play anywhere my dad played, but New Jersey is special," Brendan said. "He won an MVP [Conn Smythe Trophy] there and two Cups."

Brendan Lemieux on being drafted:

he was asked:

What about the Devils, who own the No. 30 pick in the first round?

"I'd love to play anywhere my dad played, but New Jersey is special," Brendan said. "He won an MVP [Conn Smythe Trophy] there and two Cups."

I want em.  Want em bad.

I want em. Want em bad.

Me too. We don't have much in the way of gritty guys that can chip in offensively outside of Clowe or that's a true pest like Clarkson sometimes was. I think he'd be a good pick for us. Hopefully nostalgia isn't blinding me, but I'm sure it isn't blinding the scouts and Conte who are very disciplined on taking the bpa.

Late first round/early second.  Some mocks have Colorado selecting him.

No disrespect to Brandon, but an NHL mock draft is merely an interesting exercise past around #15.  Once you get past the guys that everyone values about the same, values change wildly - there's always guys picked early who are ranked low-ish by CSB and people ranked high who get picked low.

No disrespect to Brandon, but an NHL mock draft is merely an interesting exercise past around #15. Once you get past the guys that everyone values about the same, values change wildly - there's always guys picked early who are ranked low-ish by CSB and people ranked high who get picked low.

The guy asked where Lemieux was predicted to go. I said mocks (that aren't coming from musings on HF Boards) had him as a late first early second. No one said there's any science to them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'd love the story of getting a guy like Lemieux with the pedigree he has. If he can be productive and be the little sh!t like this his dad was, I'd love to think 4 years from now of having Matteau and Lemieux running around out there.

Then imagine if Ben Thomson actually turns into something more than just a goon, and plays on line with Matteau and Lemieux.

Edited by Daniel

I just read part of the story about the Blues not participating in the 1983 draft, which was, shall we say a little bit better than the 1996 one.  Fascinating story.

http://www.stlouisgametime.com/2009/4/5/823172/the-saskatoon-blues-the-story

Interesting and imagine if they did fold or relocate.  I think Ramage demanded to be traded to St. Louis because he didn't want to play in NJ when the Rockies moved to NJ.  If the sale to Ornest didn't happen then he would have ended up in Saskatoon, which I doubt at the time was seen as a better location than even NJ.

Bob McKenzie's full Top 60 right here: http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=95289

Interesting to me some of the players he has ranked lower (Goldobin at 37, Kamenev at 43, Point at 58), gives me hope that we may get even two guys that I actually really like.

I like the description for Brendan Lemieux, and he's ranked at 33, could be a Devil ?

"Brendan intitates and makes life most uncomfortable for those opponents who get in the way of where he wants to go. Powerful player who is productive at critical times and just won't allow himself to be denied"

Edited by The 29th Pick

I would be happy to select Point at 30 but I wouldn't mind taking a gamble on hoping he slides to 41 due to his size. I would be thrilled if the Devils landed 2 of Point, Bleackley, Schmaltz, Goldobin, or Ho-Sang with their first 2 picks. I'd even throw Lemieux into that mix.

I know everyone wants a forward but I'm intrigued by the tall Swedish defenseman Marcus Petterson. He sounds like he just needs a few summers locked in a weight room to become a good 2nd pairing defenseman. According to the hockey news, he played this year at 6'-3" 161 lbs.

I know everyone wants a forward but I'm intrigued by the tall Swedish defenseman Marcus Petterson. He sounds like he just needs a few summers locked in a weight room to become a good 2nd pairing defenseman. According to the hockey news, he played this year at 6'-3" 161 lbs.

We already have a Swedish Great White Hope

• Like 1

I like the description for Brendan Lemieux, and he's ranked at 33, could be a Devil ?

"Brendan intitates and makes life most uncomfortable for those opponents who get in the way of where he wants to go. Powerful player who is productive at critical times and just won't allow himself to be denied"

It sounds like his old man taught him well. That description fit Pep to a T.

I would be happy to select Point at 30 but I wouldn't mind taking a gamble on hoping he slides to 41 due to his size. I would be thrilled if the Devils landed 2 of Point, Bleackley, Schmaltz, Goldobin, or Ho-Sang with their first 2 picks. I'd even throw Lemieux into that mix.

This would be awesome. I'm also beginning to warm to Ruskies as well.You know David Conte reads this stuff. 

Interesting read on prospect Joshua Ho-Sang.

I asked a chief scout with a late pick in the first round whether he would select Ho-Sang if he was available, and without hesitating, he answered no.

When I asked why, he said there are certain criteria his organization values, “and if I picked him, my scouts would all revolt. He doesn’t fit what we’re looking for.”

Said Ho-Sang, in a lengthy interview: “If I was a general manager and had first pick in the draft, I’d pick me No. 1 ... In three years, I’ll be the best player in this draft. And I have no doubt about that. I know myself. I know the other players. I believe in my ability. There are guys ranked ahead of me who are nowhere near me.

“I’m not concerned about the draft (and where I’m picked). I know what’s being said out there. I know people’s skepticism. I’m prepared for that.”

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/06/24/the-curious-case-of-controversial-nhl-prospect-joshua-ho-sang

Ho-Sang seems like one of those guys that is universally hated based on what comes out in the media despite having a lot of skill. 3 of the quotes on him from NHL scouts in the Hockey Prospect Black Book are really damning. There are other players I like over him for 30 and 41 but I wouldn't complain if the Devils got him. Pronman has him ranked 20th, Hockey Prospect at 61st, and Future Considerations at 20th. If he somehow lasted until 71 that would be amazing. Doubt it happens though.

Ho-Sang put up some great numbers this year: 67 GP 32-53-85 with a great 80.6% point share.

Ho-Sang seems like one of those guys that is universally hated based on what comes out in the media despite having a lot of skill. 3 of the quotes on him from NHL scouts in the Hockey Prospect Black Book are really damning. There are other players I like over him for 30 and 41 but I wouldn't complain if the Devils got him. Pronman has him ranked 20th, Hockey Prospect at 61st, and Future Considerations at 20th. If he somehow lasted until 71 that would be amazing. Doubt it happens though.

Ho-Sang put up some great numbers this year: 67 GP 32-53-85 with a great 80.6% point share.

It reminds me a bit of what happened to Brandon Saad, but Ho-Sang appears to be a lot more polarizing.

He has all the qualities many scouts and teams are scared of, but he's just a teenager. He made quite a few good points in the interview, but these old white guys don't want to have him pull out the race card (even if there might be some truth to it).

He thinks a little too highly of his own game, but that doesn't have to be a bad thing either...but it could be. The NHL could definitely use guys like Josh Ho-Sang -- the kind of players that are celebrated in many other sports but frowned upon in the NHL and MLB.

Edited by devilsrule33

Wow, it's not everyday you have a young hockey player like that.  I'd take a chance on the kid, but I don't know if Lou would.  He understands the hockey world, but still has a great love for the game.  I need to look up some of his video now and see if he walks the walk.  You can't help but love that kind of drive in a young player.  To me, it's promising when a young player has the drive and wants to be the best player on the ice every single shift.