GDT: Eastern Conference Semis - Game 2 NJ @ Philadelphia - 5/1/12

NJCroMag

Would also like an update since Simmonds received a misconduct for going after Fayne for no reason at the end of the game. Since he has a prior misconduct in a playoff game, doesn't that mean automatic suspension for one game?

That piece of sh!t is such a sore loser, almost as bad as Hartnell

+1

This game showed me the Flyers are beatable. I don't know if it was about the Devils shutting them down defensively and tactically or it was just an off-night for the Flyers, but I was really excited last night. By far the Devils' best game of these playoffs. It's worth noting the Flyers haven't scored less than 2 goals in their previous games this postseason.

I think it was a combination of both. If we win at home on Thursday the same way it will be like an earthquake hit Philly. Last night or not they still think this is their Cup year. It will be soooooooooo sweat to knock them out of the playoffs again :)

Would also like an update since Simmonds received a misconduct for going after Fayne for no reason at the end of the game. Since he has a prior misconduct in a playoff game, doesn't that mean automatic suspension for one game?

That piece of sh!t is such a sore loser, almost as bad as Hartnell

Nope. It's such bullsh!t.

The slashing thing is still bothering me. It got kinda lost in the mix, so I'll ask it again: When did knocking the stick out of your opponent's hands become a slashing minor? It's always seemed like -- as far as stick-on-stick slashing goes -- the standard was whether or not the stick broke. Broken stick? Sit for two minutes, feel shame, then you are free. But knocking it out of their hands? Twice last night we got minors because the Flyers had butter fingers.

Do I just have crappy memory, or is it really something that's called so rarely (if at all) that it's tough to remember other instances?

The slashing thing is still bothering me. It got kinda lost in the mix, so I'll ask it again: When did knocking the stick out of your opponent's hands become a slashing minor? It's always seemed like -- as far as stick-on-stick slashing goes -- the standard was whether or not the stick broke. Broken stick? Sit for two minutes, feel shame, then you are free. But knocking it out of their hands? Twice last night we got minors because the Flyers had butter fingers.

Do I just have crappy memory, or is it really something that's called so rarely (if at all) that it's tough to remember other instances?

I've definitely seen it called before, especially during the penalty crackdowns in 2005-06. You'd hear the old meathead hockey commentators whine about players being unable to hold on to their sticks.

NJ.com: who stepped up most in Game 2

also mentions our buddy Pierre

Andy Greene: The main part of the stat sheet is blank -- no goals, no assists, no shots -- but take a look at the intangibles: A team-high five blocked shots, a team-high 29 shifts, a team-high 22:58 ice time. Greene got lots of third-period love from NBC analyst Pierre McGuire (although Devils fans on NJ.com were ripping the analyst in our comments sections during and after the game).

Even nj.com recognizes the hate for Pierre.

I've definitely seen it called before, especially during the penalty crackdowns in 2005-06. You'd hear the old meathead hockey commentators whine about players being unable to hold on to their sticks.

Ah, thanks for confirming it's just my crappy memory.

I don't like stick checks getting called slashing (stick breakage or not), but as long as it's consistent I can't complain.

I think Wellwood has a career in ballet or ice skating competition with the over the top embellishment of Zidlicky's elbow hit. Granted, his head made contact with Zid's elbow, but he literally made a grammy performance out of it and spun in mid air for more than 360 degrees.

Please, someone find this.

I think Wellwood has a career in ballet or ice skating competition with the over the top embellishment of Zidlicky's elbow hit. Granted, his head made contact with Zid's elbow, but he literally made a grammy performance out of it and spun in mid air for more than 360 degrees.

Please, someone find this.

This is what happens when you play 50 minutes instead of 20. Loved how they kept pushing in the third until the got that first goal. It was clear that Bryzgalov would start sucking after he got beat once.

It's also what happens when the opposition shows up for 10 minutes. The Flyers were atrocious.

So.....Devils don't get any credit?

Sure they do, they played a very solid game after a shaky first. It's just that I don't expect the Flyers to play that poorly, or the Devils to play that well, in any of the subsequent games. I know I'll see a bunch of complaining that the Devils have to 'get back to what they did in Game 2' if the Devils are down 3-1 in this series, and that's simply a refusal to acknowledge that there are two teams on the ice, not one.

they said it the flyers would wake up after the game 1 first period...they did, they won in ot. they showed up for the first period in game 2 and then stopped. who says it wont happen again? i believe. keep chugging boys. keep pressing. keep pressing.

Sure they do, they played a very solid game after a shaky first. It's just that I don't expect the Flyers to play that poorly, or the Devils to play that well, in any of the subsequent games. I know I'll see a bunch of complaining that the Devils have to 'get back to what they did in Game 2' if the Devils are down 3-1 in this series, and that's simply a refusal to acknowledge that there are two teams on the ice, not one.

The Flyers aren't good defensively and their goalie is questionable. What you're seeing is that most of the favorites are gone, one of the

remaining ones is in deep sh!t, and the last remaining one that isn't buried survives on attrition hockey.

The things they did wrong in Game 2, they did wrong in Game 1, they just didn't do anything right that they did in Game 1 and we did far less things wrong.

There's no reason they can't win this series. I don't think they're the favorite, but it's silly to suggest it's a 5 game series and what happened yesterday was more or less a fluke. If the Devils got a better bounce on that nutty scramble before the Flyers won the game, this is possibly 2-0 good guys going back to NJ.

I really don't know what to make of this Flyers team, or this Devils team. That's why they play the games I guess.

At this point I really don't know what to expect in this series, which I strongly prefer to my pessimism before and after game 1.

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman

I really don't know what to make of this Flyers team, or this Devils team. That's why they play the games I guess.

At this point I really don't know what to expect in this series, which I strongly prefer to my pessimism before and after game 1.

thats where im at minus the pessimism...

we played very well in game 1 with two tie goals...

and our first period in game two had a few good chances.

Edited by lazer

thats where im at minus the pessimism...

we played very well in game 1 with two tie goals...

and our first period in game two had a few good chances.

Careful with that one...Sykora's tying goal had to do a lot more with poor goaltending than anything Sykora or the Devils did well. The Devils were lucky to be in that one as long as they were...if anything, I would have to think the Flyers would've been beyond beside themselves had they lost. Last night was a different story. Devils outplayed them, and significantly at that.

Careful with that one...Sykora's tying goal had to do a lot more with poor goaltending than anything Sykora or the Devils did well. The Devils were lucky to be in that one as long as they were...if anything, I would have to think the Flyers would've been beyond beside themselves had they lost. Last night was a different story. Devils outplayed them, and significantly at that.

Sykora had nobody in front of him when he was going to shoot, I think it's a little unfair to put that all on the goalie. Sykora's only real value to the Devils is that he can shoot, so he should be scoring goals when put in a situation like that.

and Syko faked first and went wrister 5-hole, thats not luck, its clutch.

my point was that the tie goals represented the Devils keeping the game close...in other words, Syko's goal represented the Devils staying in the game.

if the Devils let up for one period the Flyers can run away with the game.

edit: the notion of "letting up" is just as bad as "60 minutes"

Edited by lazer