My Visit to the Verizon Center in DC

msweet

Part of it is just the noise delay in the arena, since it takes a split second for you to hear what you see

Maybe that's part of it, but I don't know. I even notice it a lot just watching the games on TV.

I tend to think sometimes that we have different sections of fans doing their own thing and not particularly paying attention to what's going on in the arena as a whole.

I hate to bring the Rangers into the discussion, but their fans come into the Rock and do a "Hen-rik" chant that's clear and crisp and in unison.

Great write up - send it to lou please ... best thing about the verizon ctr is when you step outside theres actually a nice city ..

One thing to remember about the Verizon Center is that Chinatown was a pretty crappy part of town when the arena was built. Verizon Center has done for DC what Prudential Center is in the process of doing for Newark. It just takes time, that's all.

One thing to remember about the Verizon Center is that Chinatown was a pretty crappy part of town when the arena was built. Verizon Center has done for DC what Prudential Center is in the process of doing for Newark. It just takes time, that's all.

Exactly. I like how people ignore this. Gentrification didn't take hold until 7 years after it was built. I was there in late 09 when the Predators were in town. Probably holds true today but if you go east of the arena on H street(especially at night) I really wouldn't call it "nice".

Exactly. I like how people ignore this. Gentrification didn't take hold until 7 years after it was built. I was there in late 09 when the Predators were in town. Probably holds true today but if you go east of the arena on H street(especially at night) I really wouldn't call it "nice".

Or at the Prudential center where you go any direction a couple blocks and it I would not call that "nice" either.

yeah Lou has a lot to do with the revitalization of Newark.

also, lol @ implying D.C. is a nice area

lou had/has a lot to do with where we are and what we are

sorry to break it to you but the surrounding area to the DC arena is much nicer than the rocks will ever be ... wether you want to believe it or not.

Or at the Prudential center where you go any direction a couple blocks and it I would not call that "nice" either.

Office buildings/NJPAC to the north and the Ironbound to the east aren't bad so I dunno where you people get this "any direction" crap from.

sorry to break it to you but the surrounding area to the DC arena is much nicer than the rocks will ever be ... wether you want to believe it or not.

Not for the first 7 years of existence it wasn't. Arguably was in a worse spot than where the Rock is currently.

Look, you're getting a Marriott and Indigo hotels by next season, a chain restaurant in Dinosaur BBQ on Market St. next to Championship Plaza, on top of the stuff that's already there like Uber Burger, Edison Ale House, BCB&G, apartments on Edison Place, etc. What else do you want, less black people? I'd like the lots in front of the place to be turned into this Triangle Park thingy finally but that's not what I'm getting here from you folks.

• Like 1

Office buildings/NJPAC to the north and the Ironbound to the east aren't bad so I dunno where you people get this "any direction" crap from.

A couple of office buildings doesn't count. Hell they even have a tunnel that goes directly to Penn Station so they never have to walk the streets.

What good does a concert hall a few blocks away do for the arena? It is not someplace I head to before a game.

And Ironbound is ok, but that is just a bunch of streets that is a few blocks down from the arena.

Thanks DiG

A couple of office buildings doesn't count. Hell they even have a tunnel that goes directly to Penn Station so they never have to walk the streets.

What good does a concert hall a few blocks away do for the arena? It is not someplace I head to before a game.

And Ironbound is ok, but that is just a bunch of streets that is a few blocks down from the arena.

Yeah! Bunch of streets? Pish posh! Who counts streets and buildings when determining whether an area is crappy or not?! Only a fool, i say! What will they count next? The people?!

:rolleyes:

Edited by devlman

Thanks DiG

Yeah! Bunch of streets? Pish posh! Who counts streets and buildings when determining whether an area is crappy or not?! Only a fool, i say! What will they count next? The people?!

:rolleyes:

Driving past liquor store after fried chicken joints after bodegas and then bail bond places on my way to the arena from rt 78, I can safely say that Newark is indeed a sh!thole. A few restaurants within a block or 2 of the arena and and office buildings where they even have a tunnel to shield the people from the streets outside is just lipstick on a pig.

Also, I really do not appreciated being constantly asked before and after every game to buy sh!tty candy on the streets as well as seeing a drunk homeless guy literally lying face down next to the arena. My gf and I have called the police for this reason twice in the past year alone for this as we did not want the guy to die out there.

Edited by DevsMan84

Newark's not turning into NYC. Forget about the bodegas and the chicken joints. A 5 block radius around the arena is ideal, I'm not really concerned about the rest of the city right now. You have to just give it a shot, it's not the best but try it maybe? What's going to make you happy? A Chuck E Cheeze right across the street? I don't know what people do before games because drink and eat, so I'm confused as what you even want done. I'd like more food places, but they are working on it. The bar situation is good right now, for sure. As a whole, the city sucks. But you never go to Newark to just hang out, and never will. Let's focus on the Arena area, that's what is important. Also, homeless guys are a part of every city. Yes it sucks, but do you honestly think it's a Newark thing? Would you like to take a trip with me to Philly? It's the same bullsh!t there. You guys can always petition to go back to the parking lot next to the highway. I hear that area was popping. I've bitched about Newark, I'm guilty. I stick to it, it sucks ass as a whole. Around the Rock is not so bad though and will get better. They can't magically make businesses appear, they have to want to come. You blame the Devils, you think they are responsible for building the next Cluck U or some sh!t down the street for your convenience? I'm not calling any one person out here, but get real people. You're never going to get shot outside the arena, you have places to drink beers, you have places to eat. It's not THAT bad.

Most of our area is parking lots and Penn Station, there's not a lot of area to even build. What should we do? Tear down people's houses and businesses and tell them to get out? It's just not a simple solution people, quit pretending like it is.

Edited by hurricane1091

Newark's not turning into NYC. Forget about the bodegas and the chicken joints. A 5 block radius around the arena is ideal, I'm not really concerned about the rest of the city right now. You have to just give it a shot, it's not the best but try it maybe? What's going to make you happy? A Chuck E Cheeze right across the street? I don't know what people do before games because drink and eat, so I'm confused as what you even want done. I'd like more food places, but they are working on it. The bar situation is good right now, for sure. As a whole, the city sucks. But you never go to Newark to just hang out, and never will. Let's focus on the Arena area, that's what is important. Also, homeless guys are a part of every city. Yes it sucks, but do you honestly think it's a Newark thing? Would you like to take a trip with me to Philly? It's the same bullsh!t there. You guys can always petition to go back to the parking lot next to the highway. I hear that area was popping. I've bitched about Newark, I'm guilty. I stick to it, it sucks ass as a whole. Around the Rock is not so bad though and will get better. They can't magically make businesses appear, they have to want to come. You blame the Devils, you think they are responsible for building the next Cluck U or some sh!t down the street for your convenience? I'm not calling any one person out here, but get real people. You're never going to get shot outside the arena, you have places to drink beers, you have places to eat. It's not THAT bad.

I have been to Philly and NYC many times. I have never had to call the police in either city about a homeless guy passed out in the middle of the sidewalk/street where people are just walking right past him.

I would love Chuck E Cheese. The ball rooms in them are fantastic.

Also, I really do not appreciated being constantly asked before and after every game to buy sh!tty candy on the streets as well as seeing a drunk homeless guy literally lying face down next to the arena. My gf and I have called the police for this reason twice in the past year alone for this as we did not want the guy to die out there.

Jeez ... if you think that's bad, I hope you never go to a game at MSG. I've seen a crusty old crackhead jump in front of traffic and flash her growler to unsuspecting drivers. And she wasn't even the craziest homeless person out there that night.

• Like 1

Most of our area is parking lots and Penn Station, there's not a lot of area to even build. What should we do? Tear down people's houses and businesses and tell them to get out? It's just not a simple solution people, quit pretending like it is.

Well what do you think they tore down to build the friggin arena?

Jeez ... if you think that's bad, I hope you never go to a game at MSG. I've seen a crusty old crackhead jump in front of traffic and flash her growler to unsuspecting drivers. And she wasn't even the craziest homeless person out there that night.

I have been to MSG many times and have seen the crackheads there. However, I have never been even close to the point of calling the police out of fear of either theirs or my safety like I have in Newark.

Part of it is just the noise delay in the arena, since it takes a split second for you to hear what you see

I mean it's just two sides of the arena start chants at different times usually. As the last home game, the Diablos side had a LGD chant, and then they cued the music or the drum and the side I was on got into it. Well, there you go. Same chant at the same time but slightly off.

Edited by hurricane1091

I have been to Philly and NYC many times. I have never had to call the police in either city about a homeless guy passed out in the middle of the sidewalk/street where people are just walking right past him.

I would love Chuck E Cheese. The ball rooms in them are fantastic.

You never have, because you don't care about homeless people in rival cities. Seriously though, there is always bums at Wells Fargo, always. You have to realize, we have no complex at all. It's straight in the city. It's much easier for this kind of sh!t to happen, the people are already naturally there and do not have to walk to the complex. So seriously, what do you suggest to make you happy? People always complain (general statements here) and never have any ideas. Look how long the prudential center took to build, it's not easier tearing people's homes and businesses down. Even the sh!tty chinese restaurant falling down won't sell likely because they get more traffic because of the games. It's just not easy guys. I'm not an expert at all, it is just common sense. There's not much room for stuff, and the people have to want to come in and build in the first place. I don't understand how Lou has ANYTHING to do with "revitalization around the rock," he can't go out in the world and make people leave and force businesses in.

Edited by hurricane1091

Other than the Newport area of Jersey City, I can't think of a city in this state that can be considered attractive. NJ is known for its towns not cities. the main corporate locations in jersey are spread across sprawling pharmaceutical campuses, the big lawns in Englewood cliffs and the old farm fields in northern Bergen county. Pru and verizon being exceptions

Maybe I'm cynical but I was involved with the construction of the Renaissance Mall and the late Harry Grant as a supplier to a sub contractor; and as far as Newark getting revitalized, I'll believe it when I see it and I'm not seeing it yet. and its been 20+ years

yes They've dumped a bit of money into newark with the ball park, Arts Center and now the Rock

but Unfortunately gang violence and youth mortality are still more in the news when it comes to newark than economic growth

You never have, because you don't care about homeless people in rival cities. Seriously though, there is always bums at Wells Fargo, always. You have to realize, we have no complex at all. It's straight in the city. It's much easier for this kind of sh!t to happen, the people are already naturally there and do not have to walk to the complex. So seriously, what do you suggest to make you happy? People always complain (general statements here) and never have any ideas. Look how long the prudential center took to build, it's not easier tearing people's homes and businesses down. Even the sh!tty chinese restaurant falling down won't sell likely because they get more traffic because of the games. It's just not easier guys. I'm not an expert at all, it is just common sense. There's not much room for stuff, and the people have to want to come in and build in the first place. I don't understand how Lou has ANYTHING to do with "revitalization around the rock," he can't go out in the world and make people leave and force businesses in.

Please explain the statement that I do not care about homeless people in rival cities? Are you saying I SHOULDN'T care about homeless people or that you assume that I do not care about homeless in other cities. If you think I shouldn't care all because they live in a rival city, well then that just speaks volumes about the kind of person you really are. If you are saying that I do not care about homeless people in other cities, well I do care but I haven't seen people in all my times in NYC (too many in my lifetime to count) and Philly (prob a good 6 times in the last year) who are lying face-down on the street and passed out. Each time I saw it in the last year in Newark my gf and I really feared for the guy's life so we called the police to check on him to see if he needed to go the hospital. If I think a homless guy in either Philly or NYC might have his life in danger, I will call the police too, but havent ever been to that point yet in all my years.

I do not put any blame or credit on Lou on how the surrounding area is in Newark. So at least on that point I agree with you.

Other than the Newport area of Jersey City, I can't think of a city in this state that can be considered attractive. NJ is known for its towns not cities. the main corporate locations in jersey are spread across sprawling pharmaceutical campuses, the big lawns in Englewood cliffs and the old farm fields in northern Bergen county. Pru and verizon being exceptions

Maybe I'm cynical but I was involved with the construction of the Renaissance Mall and the late Harry Grant as a supplier to a sub contractor; and as far as Newark getting revitalized, I'll believe it when I see it and I'm not seeing it yet. and its been 20+ years

yes They've dumped a bit of money into newark with the ball park, Arts Center and now the Rock

but Unfortunately gang violence and youth mortality are still more in the news when it comes to newark than economic growth

I totally agree.

I seriously should not read anything you write, you're way too serious. I wouldn't honestly say that seriously. Hence the SERIOUSLY, THOUGH part.

People use seriously though as part of their normal speech patterns. This is a message board and everyone has a different style of writing and it gets tough to sort out what exactly you mean somtimes. This is why I also never respond to PK's posts. I cannot for my life understand her crazy cat lady type writing.

Anyways, I've never seen a bum at the Rock face down and I've been to like 50 games. sh!t happens dude, there's nothing we can do about that happening to someone. It can happen anywhere. You can't change the people in Newark, it's just a fact. They were there before us, and they will stay there. I am thankful for having a nice arena honestly, and I've learned to appreciate what there is outside The Rock. It's only going to get better. If you don't embrace it, why would other businesses come? Think about it.

I'd like to know what street this bum face down was located.

And you're driving up and down Broad Street instead of 21. Like Triumph said folks driving to the Verizon Center from the east will experience worse areas(I've ridden through there myself, I'll take Broad St. over NY Avenue NE any day of the week even with the motels). Take the train in if a bothers you so much. That way you won't deal with the ghetto element from Broad Street.