Lecav to philly for 5 years 23 mill.

njdevsftw

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which works even worse for Clarkson. If Lecavalier gets 4.5M for scoring (and even in Clarkson's wonderful 2011/12 season Vinny had more points in less games) and is a proven star who won in this league, then it's hard to justify Clarkie making more than him for what he brings, even if he's younger (and he's not THAT much younger either, I actually thought there was a bigger difference between them before I checked and learned it's four years).

Miles wise there's quite a bit of difference.   Lecavalier has been in the NHL since 1998.   Clarkson didn't even play a pro season until 2005.   He was a career junior player.

Miles wise there's quite a bit of difference.   Lecavalier has been in the NHL since 1998.   Clarkson didn't even play a pro season until 2005.   He was a career junior player.

I mean no offense when I say this, but is there even such a thing as a career junior player?

What on earth is going on over there in Philly.  No D, no Goaltending worth talking about, yet they go out and sign a big-name forward.

whats boging my mind is why would THEY sign him and why would HE sign there. Isnt it obvious that its a mess?

I guess money still talks.  He's getting stupid money from that buyout for the next, what, decade, yet he still went to the highest bidder.

See this is what I don't get:  This contract will almost certainly make him a villain in Philly in the coming years.  And he's prepared for that, just for the $$?  Don't these players think ahead?  Or are they all just so brainwashed by their agents that they chase the dollar regardless of future issues?

I'm probably overthinking this.  It is a business afterall; I suppose I might make the same decision if I were in a similar position.

Edited by Devilsfan118

I guess money still talks.  He's getting stupid money from that buyout for the next, what, decade, yet he still went to the highest bidder.

See this is what I don't get:  This contract will almost certainly make him a villain in Philly in the coming years.  And he's prepared for that, just for the $$?  Don't these players think ahead?  Or are they all just so brainwashed by their agents that they chase the dollar regardless of future issues?

I'm probably overthinking this.  It is a business afterall; I suppose I might make the same decision if I were in a similar position.

actually Dallas had the bigger offer on the table and he didnt took it

Players do not think they will get old.  It's part of why they are wildly successful at their job.

I mean no offense when I say this, but is there even such a thing as a career junior player?

No, but I think what max meant is that Clarkson played an overage junior season (one where he was older than 20 years and 0 days at the beginning), which most guys who end up in the NHL do not do.

It's amazing how players equate a team that hasn't won a cup in almost 40 years as a perennial cup contender.

In fairness, they've been in the mix for many of those years, and have reached six SC Finals in that time to boot.  It's not like they're constantly non-factors...outside of a 5-year dry spell from 1989-94, they've only missed the playoffs in two other seasons since the '75 Cup win.

In fairness, they've been in the mix for many of those years, and have reached six SC Finals in that time to boot.  It's not like they're constantly non-factors...outside of a 5-year dry spell from 1989-94, they've only missed the playoffs in two other seasons since the '75 Cup win.

We're almost as similar and we don't have the sh!tty fans. Yet we're never considered contenders.

Ask the players if they consider the fans part of the team. Almost to a man, they'll say yes.

To the media and fans they will. Not to eachother.   Not to get off topic which I already did, but it is pompous to refer to your team as "us" and "we", etc.

Not to get off topic which I already did, but it is pompous to refer to your team as "us" and "we", etc.

Why do you feel the need for fans to distance themselves from their team? The fanbase who supports the team year in year out in every way, also financially, has certainly earned the right to consider themselves "part of the team".. Why you would even bring something like this up is beyond me. Players change teams every few months sometimes, fans are usually loyal their whole life..