Larsson

Daniel

I was looking to bump an old thread on the subject, but what the hell...

Again, someone tell me what he does well, or even what we can expect him to do well?   

I'm going to say it now, the answer is that he's a giant bust.  He does nothing well.  He's easily the worst defenseman on the team, and should be in Albany.

Trade him while there are some out there that think the emperor has any clothes.  

calling 20 year old defensemen busts is stupid.   asking why no one is working on his backwards skating would be another question entirely.   

"bust" perhaps was a strong word on my part.  But even though he's only 20, I think we can certainly kiss the dream of him being a top pairing defenseman goodbye.

he looked better the first season he played, but seems to be going backwards

not really, new car smell.   he's not an effective or efficient player going backwards.   but going to your point, since the staff changes, who HAS moved forward as defenseman go?   Greene was already an established player

not really, new car smell.   he's not an effective or efficient player going backwards.   but going to your point, since the staff changes, who HAS moved forward as defenseman go?   Greene was already an established player

we need Jacques Lemaire back

I still dont get how Larsson was such a high pick

Edited by hargsy

It's pretty obvious, to me, that Larry Robinson had a big part in Larsson's good looking rookie campaign.

No player should have to be baysat like that.

I dunno, you can tell by his play and demeanor that he lacks a certain confidence/swagger. I agree that he shouldn't have to be spoonfed everything, but he strikes me as a guy that doesn't respond well to criticism.

I'd bet he needs a "dad" type coach rather than a disciplinarian like PDB and Stevens.

It's pretty obvious, to me, that Larry Robinson had a big part in Larsson's good looking rookie campaign.

Well that and actually, you know, letting him play.  Basically his entire game now consists of throwing weak blueline shots toward net in the offensive zone and being hesitant/getting coned in the defensive zone.  His first 50+ games he was a lot better in part cause they had no choice but to trust him.

I dunno, you can tell by his play and demeanor that he lacks a certain confidence/swagger. I agree that he shouldn't have to be spoonfed everything, but he strikes me as a guy that doesn't respond well to criticism. I'd bet he needs a "dad" type coach rather than a disciplinarian like PDB and Stevens.

I don't think Stevens is a great mentor.  Larry is one of the best teachers in the game.

I dunno, you can tell by his play and demeanor that he lacks a certain confidence/swagger. I agree that he shouldn't have to be spoonfed everything, but he strikes me as a guy that doesn't respond well to criticism. I'd bet he needs a "dad" type coach rather than a disciplinarian like PDB and Stevens.

agree 

Well that and actually, you know, letting him play.  Basically his entire game now consists of throwing weak blueline shots toward net in the offensive zone and being hesitant/getting coned in the defensive zone.  His first 50+ games he was a lot better in part cause they had no choice but to trust him.

I think Pete is coddling him too much.  He needs to be given free will to play his game.  I don't think he has been given that chance.